PDA

View Full Version : No Need To Panic, Eli Will Right The Ship...Again

RoanokeFan
11-06-2012, 08:43 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...vGFamKyV0lz5YN (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/there_no_need_to_panic_eli_will_P0bMQ1k3vGFamKyV0l z5YN)

Excerpt: "All it takes is one demoralizing defeat, a troubling pair of games where King Eli has misplaced his elite crown, for a barrage of questions from media and concerns from fans about another second-half swoon under Tom Coughlin that would sabotage the Giantsí Super Bowl defense.

Everybody chill.

In this euphoria-disaster sports town we live in, everybody rushes to the panic room first and asks questions later.There will be no second-half swoon this time.

You either believe in Eli Manning or you do not.

You either believe he is a two-time Super Bowl MVP in his prime, or you do not.
He has righted The Big Blue Ship before, and he will right it again.

ďThe fact of the matter is this,Ē Justin Tuck said. ďIíve been in the league [eight] years, and been with Eli for all eight years. ... I really havenít seen a guy thatís more professional about his approach ... about dissecting a defense, and getting his team in position to be successful. It hasnít worked the last two weeks. But Iím not worried about him because of the fact that heís probably more critical on himself than anybody is ever going to be with him so, I know heís in the film room, I know heís doing everything possible to get the ship righted.

ďHe demands that from everybody else around him, too, so ... heís not perfect, heís not going to go out there and throw eight touchdowns and 400 yards every game.

ďBut heís definitely going to go out and [put his] best foot forward, and always do the things that are going to help this team win. Football is funny that way, when you put that much effort into things, your likelihood of being successful goes up, and I know heís doing that, and Iím not worried about him bouncing back.Ē Read more...

Toadofsteel
11-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Eli is the one i'm worrying about the most right now. During the skid last year, I never lost faith in Eli. He never stopped delivering, even as the team crumbled around him. Now, not so much. He's regressed majorly. I hope it's just a slump that he can recover from, but right now he's looking like the 2010 product rather than the 2011 one...

ALLnygIN
11-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Everybody has a bit of a slump. Eli, will turn things around. It's not just eli. It's bad routes by the recievrs, dropped balls, miss communication and a bit of playcallling

GameTime
11-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Eli is the one i'm worrying about the most right now. During the skid last year, I never lost faith in Eli. He never stopped delivering, even as the team crumbled around him. Now, not so much. He's regressed majorly. I hope it's just a slump that he can recover from, but right now he's looking like the 2010 product rather than the 2011 one...

you're use of the word "regressed" and hoping "he can recover" are so way over top...

Eli has not regressed....that would suggested he has "lost it". Which he hasn't. Also why wouldn't he be bale to recover from a minor slump???

Eli will get his job done and not only that he will MAKE sure everyone else on the offense gets their job done too....

gumby74
11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
you're use of the word "regressed" and hoping "he can recover" are so way over top...

Eli has not regressed....that would suggested he has "lost it". Which he hasn't. Also why wouldn't he be bale to recover from a minor slump???

Eli will get his job done and not only that he will MAKE sure everyone else on the offense gets their job done too....

I think people were getting way too amped over Eli's stellar 2011 season. Eli WILL get the job done, but there's a reason why I needed Eli to do it again if I am to expect 2011 Eli to be the norm. Doing it once can very well be a fluke. The applies to every player. Not just Eli.

RoanokeFan
11-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Eli is the one i'm worrying about the most right now. During the skid last year, I never lost faith in Eli. He never stopped delivering, even as the team crumbled around him. Now, not so much. He's regressed majorly. I hope it's just a slump that he can recover from, but right now he's looking like the 2010 product rather than the 2011 one... He hasn't regressed he's just human and will get it figured out

GameTime
11-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I think people were getting way too amped over Eli's stellar 2011 season. Eli WILL get the job done, but there's a reason why I needed Eli to do it again if I am to expect 2011 Eli to be the norm. Doing it once can very well be a fluke. The applies to every player. Not just Eli.

I hear that....but Eli didnt just have a good year last season he made step forward. You can even say that about the 2010. Not that you can remove the picks be above and beyond the 25 picks he took steps forward in reading defenses and getting the right plays going on the O for the most part. Eli is a double digit pick QB and he will be every season IMO. No way was last year a fluke. All QBSs average, good, or elite go through tough times.....

Morehead State
11-06-2012, 10:40 AM

The difference between good Eli and bad Eli is one thing. Calmness in the pocket.
So in my view he can regress. the kinds of things that change his pocket presence are attitude and confidence. those things can change as they would in all human beings. When he's rushing his throws, when he's panicing a bit in the pocket and making bad decisions...thats old Eli. When he's calm in the pocket, when he makes the subtle lateral moves to extend plays, thats the good Eli.
Its semantics I suppose. But you get what I'm saying.

GameTime
11-06-2012, 10:54 AM
The difference between good Eli and bad Eli is one thing. Calmness in the pocket.
So in my view he can regress. the kinds of things that change his pocket presence are attitude and confidence. those things can change as they would in all human beings. When he's rushing his throws, when he's panicing a bit in the pocket and making bad decisions...thats old Eli. When he's calm in the pocket, when he makes the subtle lateral moves to extend plays, thats the good Eli.

I hear you and he is human and as such will have periods of poor performance. Heck....I play Sunday morning softball and have been doung it for 15 years. I can tear it up for weeks and the play like I have never set foot on a baseball field before. **** happens.
Take ANY QB....they all have bad stretches. The one good thing is from this past Sunday is the Eli and the O had one of his worst games in years, the D let up over a 150 in rushing, the lost the time of possession by a decent margin, the STs coverage was poor, etc....and still only lost by 4 points....
Not going to hang my hat on that but I can take something slightly positive from it.

Eli knows things suck right now. The Kid is hard worker and will do what it takes to get it back together. Judgeing from Tuck had said in other articles Eli persistent preparation even effects how the whole team as individuals prepare....

Morehead State
11-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I hear you and he is human and as such will have periods of poor performance. Heck....I play Sunday morning softball and have been doung it for 15 years. I can tear it up for weeks and the play like I have never set foot on a baseball field before. **** happens.
Take ANY QB....they all have bad stretches. The one good thing is from this past Sunday is the Eli and the O had one of his worst games in years, the D let up over a 150 in rushing, the lost the time of possession by a decent margin, the STs coverage was poor, etc....and still only lost by 4 points....
Not going to hang my hat on that but I can take something slightly positive from it.

Eli knows things suck right now. The Kid is hard worker and will do what it takes to get it back together. Judgeing from Tuck had said in other articles Eli persistent preparation even effects how the whole team as individuals prepare....
I'm concerned that he has lost his calmness in the pocket. Thats a different animal. If you watch Eli last year you will see his calmness. I don't see that the last 3 weeks. I see dumb throws, not seeing defenders (which is a symptom of a lack of calmness) and just bad decision making.
"Fixing" that kind of thing requires a look inside. Not additional film study.

Robert21156
11-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm concerned that he has lost his calmness in the pocket. Thats a different animal. If you watch Eli last year you will see his calmness. I don't see that the last 3 weeks. I see dumb throws, not seeing defenders (which is a symptom of a lack of calmness) and just bad decision making.
"Fixing" that kind of thing requires a look inside. Not additional film study.
MS, what is YOUR level of playing experience at the QB position? You obviously are a keen study to note Eli's lack of "calmness". I agree he's made some dumb throws and hasn't seen some defenders. EVERYTHING matters in playing QB - receivers getting early separation (only Cruze does that on this team), a quality pocket (despite the lack of sacks you KNOW he doesn't get that very much), down and distance, running game production (laughable against good teams), defensive formations, play calling, running backs picking up the blitz, etc. We all can see that things aren't working right now, but how much do YOU truly know about quarterbacking to be such an expert? According to you Eli just needs to "look inside" and apparently that'll make things better. Are you really doubting his work ethic or ability??? The Steelers came in with the top ranked pass defense - that obviously wasn't just a statistical anomaly was it? And the Cowboys pass defense has improved immensely as well. How about the Giants pass defense? Most knowledgeable and reasonable Giant fans know that Eli would carve our own pass defense up without our "vaunted" pass rush that has shown up sporadically this season. When a passing play doesn't work, many people come down hardest on the QB without paying enough attention to the other factors. Eli will never be Peyton, etc., but most of the time he's good enough to help the G-men win, and that's good enough for most of us here.

moose11
11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Well said Robert, I could not say it any better.

Morehead State
11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
MS, what is YOUR level of playing experience at the QB position? You obviously are a keen study to note Eli's lack of "calmness". I agree he's made some dumb throws and hasn't seen some defenders. EVERYTHING matters in playing QB - receivers getting early separation (only Cruze does that on this team), a quality pocket (despite the lack of sacks you KNOW he doesn't get that very much), down and distance, running game production (laughable against good teams), defensive formations, play calling, running backs picking up the blitz, etc. We all can see that things aren't working right now, but how much do YOU truly know about quarterbacking to be such an expert? According to you Eli just needs to "look inside" and apparently that'll make things better. Are you really doubting his work ethic or ability??? The Steelers came in with the top ranked pass defense - that obviously wasn't just a statistical anomaly was it? And the Cowboys pass defense has improved immensely as well. How about the Giants pass defense? Most knowledgeable and reasonable Giant fans know that Eli would carve our own pass defense up without our "vaunted" pass rush that has shown up sporadically this season. When a passing play doesn't work, many people come down hardest on the QB without paying enough attention to the other factors. Eli will never be Peyton, etc., but most of the time he's good enough to help the G-men win, and that's good enough for most of us here.
The whole "WR's are not getting separation" thing drive me nuts.
"Separation" is a luxury in the NFL. You get separation in college football. In the NFL, QB's are expected to throw balls in small windows and complete them.
Our guys get as open as any group in the league.

BTW.... I admit that I have never played QB in the NFL.

Robert21156
11-06-2012, 06:35 PM
The whole "WR's are not getting separation" thing drive me nuts.
"Separation" is a luxury in the NFL. You get separation in college football. In the NFL, QB's are expected to throw balls in small windows and complete them.
Our guys get as open as any group in the league.

BTW.... I admit that I have never played QB in the NFL.
Well, you certainly have the right to downplay the role of separation in passing success, but surely you've seen the view of the field that the QB has on certain plays when the replays show it to you. When it's you who are looking where to make a throw, it becomes blatantly obvious that the most critical aspect of a pass play is EARLY separation by receivers. Yes, some of the announcers say that certain QB's "throw the receivers open" when they anticipate the exact timing and location of the break on the pattern and throw the ball in stride. Eli is certainly not the best at doing that! Likely no one will argue that he is, even though we'd like him to be. Again, I see receivers get GREAT separation from our DB's often, so I sure know it can be done. What I've seen in Eli this year looks to be some decrease in his velocity and that is bothersome. I also don't like the way he delivers passes without stepping into throws (sometimes he can't because our line is getting pushed back) and that obviously is a reason for decreased velocity. Believe me, I'm not happy with his play AT ALL, but there are other factors as well. Why we can't throw shorter routes is beyond me - we go downfield WAY too often. Teams have to get really lucky to get a "Luck" in the draft, but we may need to think about making a blockbuster deal within the next 2-3 years to make sure that we have the "next guy up" in the QB position.

Ruttiger711
11-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Semantics could also be pressure in the pocket.

Captain Chaos
11-06-2012, 09:08 PM
That makes me feel much better....really

miked1958
11-06-2012, 11:16 PM
you're use of the word "regressed" and hoping "he can recover" are so way over top...Eli has not regressed....that would suggested he has "lost it". Which he hasn't. Also why wouldn't he be bale to recover from a minor slump???Eli will get his job done and not only that he will MAKE sure everyone else on the offense gets their job done too....agreed