PDA

View Full Version : Our 1st Playoff Opponent

Overdrive92
11-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Our division is not won yet, but should we win (and it would take quite a collapse not to), it's rather obvious who our first Playoff opponent will be: the loser of the NFC North Chicago-Green Bay battle.

Let's look at it this way.

Will the Giants finish with a better record than the 8-0 Falcons? No.
Will the Giants finish with a better record than the 6-2 49'ers? No.
Will the Giants finish with a better record than the NFC North winner (7-1 Bears or Packers)? No.

Therefore, we WILL be the 4th seed in the NFC, just like last year, hosting a team in the Wildcard round.

So who will we host? Well let's look at the NFC Wildcard picture. It involves whoever doesn't win the NFC North (Bears or Packers), the Seahawks, Lions, and Vikings. No matter who gets the Wildcard, we can all agree that the BEST of those teams listed are the Bears and Packers, who will be the 5th seed. The other teams, like the Seahawks, Lions, and Vikings, will battle it out for the 6th seed.

Either way, you can see that we will probably be hosting either the Bears or Packers in the Wildcard round. Can it change? Of course it can. One major injury changes the entire landscape.

And personally by the way, I'd rather face the Bears. Their D is nasty, but I'd rather play Cutler than Rodgers. End of story.

Toadofsteel
11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Packers are most likely wildcard at this point. Their deficit on the Bears is like the Cowboys deficit on us.

That said, I think we could possibly beat out SF unless they go on a complete tear and end up 12-4. Remember we own the head-to-head tiebreaker on them this season... we only have to match them in record.

Of course, this is all predicated on us not completely blowing it in november like we usually do...

BigBlueAllDay
11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
While we're at it, we'll knock off the Falcons if no one else has done it by then. ROARR!!!!!!

Overdrive92
11-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Packers are most likely wildcard at this point. Their deficit on the Bears is like the Cowboys deficit on us.

That said, I think we could possibly beat out SF unless they go on a complete tear and end up 12-4. Remember we own the head-to-head tiebreaker on them this season... we only have to match them in record.

The Bears have a tougher schedule left than the Packers. The Bears still have to play the Texans, Niners, and Seahawks. The only "tough" team the Packers have left? Us. They do play each other again in Week 15 though.

As for San Fran, I hope we have a better record than them, but I don't see it happening. They still get to play the Cardinals again, Rams TWICE, Dolphins, Seahawks...all winnable games.

Eliscruzzz
11-06-2012, 10:42 PM
I have a feeling it is going to be the Bears assuming we are in the 4th spot come playoff time.

BigBlueAllDay
11-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Although not important, it would be nice if we repeated from the 3rd seed. Then the team would only need to win it again from the 6th seed to be the first team ever to win the Super Bowl from all seeds I believe.

Overdrive92
11-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Although not important, it would be nice if we repeated from the 3rd seed. Then the team would only need to win it again from the 6th seed to be the first team ever to win the Super Bowl from all seeds I believe.

Yup.

1986: 1st seed
1990: 2nd seed
2007: 5th seed
2011: 4th seed

thegiantsrule10
11-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Playoffs? Dont talk about playoffs

rainierjef
11-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Can we beat Cincy first?

thegiantsrule10
11-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Can we beat Cincy first?

Ik. What happened to 1 game at a time.

miked1958
11-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Yup.1986: 1st seed1990: 2nd seed2007: 5th seed2011: 4th seedwhat seed were we in 2000

thegiantsrule10
11-06-2012, 11:34 PM
what seed were we in 2000

I'm pretty sure it was 1st, but i'm not sure.

miked1958
11-06-2012, 11:36 PM
2000 they we we the #1 seed.

miked1958
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Also of note.. 08 number 1 seed as well and knocked out in 1st Game

Overdrive92
11-07-2012, 12:08 AM
We're just counting the years they won the Super Bowl.

Can we beat Cincy first?

Sorry, didn't realize you played for the Giants so you shouldn't be looking ahead.

miked1958
11-07-2012, 12:11 AM
We're just counting the years they won the Super Bowl.Sorry, didn't realize you played for the Giants so you shouldn't be looking ahead.i know. So we won once as number one seed and lost once in SB. The other time they were a number one seed they didn't even make it out of div round

BurnerNYG
11-07-2012, 03:11 AM
The Bears are gonna mess around and beat all those teams left on their schedule... including the Packers. That team is clicking on all cylinders. Nobody's gonna wanna go to Soldiers Field in January. Cutler isn't the greatest but with Marshall catching the ball the way he is, he gives him a nice safety net. If Eli doesn't get his act together, it's gonna be hard to beat these NFC juggernauts. Cruz isn't that unknown he was a year ago and we need one of our other receivers to step up.

Antwuan
11-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Assuming the Giants wrap up the NFC East I think they will be either the 3rd or 4th Seed, I think they have a shot to surpass the 49ers.

Hopefully the Giants can beat the Bengals.

The Giants might want to start playing better football at home.

Generation Eli
11-07-2012, 05:48 AM
I care who we play, I do but it wont matter if we dont play well. We could face the Titans and find a way to lose if we are not playing well.

We need to focus on the next game. This team could just as easily collapse at the end. It HAS happened with a VERY similar roster before.

1 game at a time please.

Captain Chaos
11-07-2012, 05:48 AM
That is what I call looking ahead, and I'm afraid that allot can happen between now and then....

rainierjef
11-07-2012, 09:15 AM
We're just counting the years they won the Super Bowl.

Sorry, didn't realize you played for the Giants so you shouldn't be looking ahead.

It looked like you were trying to figure out who our playoff matches were going to be, that's how i read it and you didn't edit it so I am not blind and I know how to read. Don't need to play for the giants to know we need to worry about getting back on track before we can think about playoffs.

Mistanihan
11-07-2012, 09:28 AM
The Bears have a tougher schedule left than the Packers. The Bears still have to play the Texans, Niners, and Seahawks. The only "tough" team the Packers have left? Us. They do play each other again in Week 15 though.

As for San Fran, I hope we have a better record than them, but I don't see it happening. They still get to play the Cardinals again, Rams TWICE, Dolphins, Seahawks...all winnable games.

The Rams Cards Fins and Hawks have been playing tough ball. Hopefully a few of those games go to the underdog.

Mercury
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
The way you are going about this, you are making way too many blatant assumptions. A lot can happen between now and January.

You'd be better off looking at it from the perspective of, if the playoffs were to start tomorrow, here are the seeds and who we would play. That's pretty much what you are basing all this on anyway.

Overdrive92
11-07-2012, 11:50 PM
The Bears are gonna mess around and beat all those teams left on their schedule... including the Packers. That team is clicking on all cylinders. Nobody's gonna wanna go to Soldiers Field in January. Cutler isn't the greatest but with Marshall catching the ball the way he is, he gives him a nice safety net. If Eli doesn't get his act together, it's gonna be hard to beat these NFC juggernauts. Cruz isn't that unknown he was a year ago and we need one of our other receivers to step up.

I don't know, I see the exact opposite happening to the Bears. I see them losing a lot of the games they have coming up. Let's not forget, the Bears are living off of weak opponents and defensive touchdowns. Eventually the teams will get tougher, and the pick 6's won't keep coming once every 5 minutes.

I'm not saying the Bears are bad, but...they've only beaten one team with a winning record: the Colts.

The way you are going about this, you are making way too many blatant assumptions. A lot can happen between now and January.

You'd be better off looking at it from the perspective of, if the playoffs were to start tomorrow, here are the seeds and who we would play. That's pretty much what you are basing all this on anyway.

That is what I call looking ahead, and I'm afraid that allot can happen between now and then....

Obviously. And as I acknowledged in my first post, a lot can change. And one major injury changes the entire NFL landscape.

But I'm also a realist who knows that, barring any dramatic changes (which is what this is all about), the Giants will not finish with a better record than teams like Atlanta, Chicago, and possibly San Francisco. Some of you guys forget that not only will the other NFC teams rack up some more losses, but so will we. It's inevitable.

bearbryant
11-08-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm amazed at this post. This thinking is so far away from my way of thinking its not even funny. Good luck to ya'! Go Giants!

Overdrive92
11-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm amazed at this post. This thinking is so far away from my way of thinking its not even funny. Good luck to ya'! Go Giants!

I take it you're a Bears fan? Good luck to you as well. I like you guys a whole lot more than the Packers. And I have a feeling our paths will cross sooner than next season...