PDA

View Full Version : Giants Coach Tom Coughlin Calls His Defense "Soft"

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 08:50 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_find_themselves_in_rush.html#incart_river)

Excerpt: "In a sport predicated on physicality, it is a word no football player, unit or team ever wants to become associated with.

Soft.

But that was how coach Tom Coughlin described the middle of the Giants’ defense for portions of their 24-20 loss to the Steelers Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

“It was soft, no question,” Coughlin said matter-of-factly Monday.

“It was soft early. We came back and played a little bit better and then they had their breakout there at the end of the game.”

Defensive end Justin Tuck said the Giants were “mushed” around by the Steelers offensive linemen, as third-string running back Isaac Redman gashed the defense for a career-high 147 yards on 26 carries with a straightforward running style that lacked flash.

“Not to the point where they were more physical than us,” Tuck asserted. “But to the point where you got a guy in the gap and Redman was just behind his guard, behind his guard, and a guy jumps out of his gap trying to get around to get to Redman and he kind of like filters forward for three more, four more yards, and that’s just us got to do a better job of escaping blocks and getting to the ball carrier.” Read more...

Buddy333
11-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Thank you TC. I was saying the same thing after this last game. I don't think anyone fears this defense. Can anyone say they looked anything like the Steelers the other day? Now that's a defense.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank you TC. I was saying the same thing after this last game. I don't think anyone fears this defense. Can anyone say they looked anything like the Steelers the other day? Now that's a defense.

I think it may well be the guys we are depending on, namely Tuck and Umenyiora, are no longer the guys who can carry the day.

Buddy333
11-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately I think it's a couple other guys as well. Webster is not the player he once was. At least not to date. Doesn't it always seem like when there is a big play by the opposing teams offense Rolle is trailing the play?

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Unfortunately I think it's a couple other guys as well. Webster is not the player he once was. At least not to date. Doesn't it always seem like when there is a big play by the opposing teams offense Rolle is trailing the play?

I was just thinking of the first line of defense, no pun intended. But the secondary is also in need to retooling but there I think we have the replacements on hand. I like Tracy and Ojomo for the line but it's hard to see if they are THE replacements at this point cause they don't get to play a lot.

stormblue
11-07-2012, 09:12 AM
eight games into the season........nice observation coach.

rainierjef
11-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I think it may well be the guys we are depending on, namely Tuck and Umenyiora, are no longer the guys who can carry the day.

Thank you.
Most people only single out one, they are both equally bad right now.

I think TC needs to call out the offense as well, that Steeler's game was the one game in which the defense did as much as it could to keep us in the game.

brad
11-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I was just thinking of the first line of defense, no pun intended. But the secondary is also in need to retooling but there I think we have the replacements on hand. I like Tracy and Ojomo for the line but it's hard to see if they are THE replacements at this point cause they don't get to play a lot.

Agreed, although I I thought Tuck played better on Sunday than he has in a while. The DTs were pretty much a non-factor though. I thought Canty would be a bigger impact in his return than he has been. I think the LBs may be the bigger problem though, they should be hitting the holes created for the running game and that just isn't happening. I would excuse that if they were covering the underneath stuff, but clearly that isn't happening consistently either. There just seems to be a lack of intensity and "flying to the ball" that good defenses need to have.

Generation Eli
11-07-2012, 09:29 AM
if you are talking about the run, this is clearly on those in the middle

Canty/Joseph
Mark/Boley
Our Safety

Tuck played really well vs the Steelers. It is EXTREMELY rare when a DE is able to make a play on a run up the middle. Especially those with contain responsibilities. IMO the Giants DT are avg at best at the run and our LB last week played like garbage against the run. Aside from Blackburn, we dont have a guy on this team that plays the run well. Thats pretty pathetic if you think about it.

brad
11-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Canty/Joseph
Mark/Boley
Our Safety

Tuck played really well vs the Steelers. It is EXTREMELY rare when a DE is able to make a play on a run up the middle. Especially those with contain responsibilities. IMO the Giants DT are avg at best at the run and our LB last week played like garbage against the run. Aside from Blackburn, we dont have a guy on this team that plays the run well. Thats pretty pathetic if you think about it.

I like CB, but he is just OK at the run, they weren't exactly stellar when he was in either. But mostly, I agree...

Mistanihan
11-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Osi should have been on the sidelines for most of that game. Dude can't stop the run, he has no pursuit for the HB, gets locked up on his tackle and never breaks free.

Generation Eli
11-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I dont know, is swiss cheese soft? Well it is unless you leave it out, in which case it starts to get hard.

Maybe TC should leave his team out in the cold. It may harden them ;)

Generation Eli
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I like CB, but he is just OK at the run, they weren't exactly stellar when he was in either. But mostly, I agree...

thats why I said, its pathetic when Blackburn is your best and only run stopper.

brad
11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
It might be time to throw a few changes into the defense like letting Ojomo get a few snaps or have Kiwi in the dline rotation more? If nothing else it will bring some enthusiasm and wake some of the vets up if they realize the D is starting to look elsewhere for solutions.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Agreed, although I I thought Tuck played better on Sunday than he has in a while. The DTs were pretty much a non-factor though. I thought Canty would be a bigger impact in his return than he has been. I think the LBs may be the bigger problem though, they should be hitting the holes created for the running game and that just isn't happening. I would excuse that if they were covering the underneath stuff, but clearly that isn't happening consistently either. There just seems to be a lack of intensity and "flying to the ball" that good defenses need to have.

The problem is Tuck comes and goes. I don't have anything against either Tuck or Umenyiora, but our biggest team problem is CONSISTENCY or a lack thereof. Your description of Tuck's performance "lately" is an example what I am talking about. It's not just Tuck, but players simply can't be relied upon when they are having "good games every now and then." Bradshaw practicing once a week is another example. He's not practicing with the guys he needs to create holes for him and they aren't practicing with him. I think that surfaces when Bradshaw can't find or wait for a seam crack open.

I will always defer to the coaching staff as I know I have no clue. I also know they want to win as much as anyone else. If it were as simple as talking about it, we'd be The Champs every year.

TheAnalyst
11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Why is he so quick to call out the D but defends the O? Saying Diehl did "OK".... Garbage. He needs to get on the offense more.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Why is he so quick to call out the D but defends the O? Saying Diehl did "OK".... Garbage. He needs to get on the offense more.

He talked about the offense yesterday

brad
11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
The problem is Tuck comes and goes. I don't have anything against either Tuck or Umenyiora, but our biggest team problem is CONSISTENCY or a lack thereof. Your description of Tuck's performance "lately" is an example what I am talking about. It's not just Tuck, but players simply can't be relied upon when they are having "good games every now and then." Bradshaw practicing once a week is another example. He's not practicing with the guys he needs to create holes for him and they aren't practicing with him. I think that surfaces when Bradshaw can't find or wait for a seam crack open.

I will always defer to the coaching staff as I know I have no clue. I also know they want to win as much as anyone else. If it were as simple as talking about it, we'd be The Champs every year.

I wasn't defending Tuck by any means... I absolutely agree with your assessment. I wonder though, is it the players or is it players not buying into the scheme they are playing? This is a team built around being aggressive and attacking, it seems to me that they are spending more time worrying about making a big mistake than making a play.

GameTime
11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Why is he so quick to call out the D but defends the O? Saying Diehl did "OK".... Garbage. He needs to get on the offense
more.
first of all saying Deihl did ok is not exonerating the offense at all. Read below then make your opinion...he did get on the offense

From TC on 11/5...

Coach Tom Coughlin reflects on the loss to the Steelershttp://boards.giants.com/assets/images/imported/NYG/photos/Tom-Coughlin/coughlin_article_081712.jpg Good afternoon. I don’t have a lot to add from what I said last night. Last night was frustration and disappointment combined. I’m still disappointed today. The pain of regret, the remorse of opportunity missed. All those things mixed into one. We are 6-3, okay. We lost a football game we thought we could’ve won. We’ve got to re-group, go forward and do a better job of preparation this week. Get our focus back, get our game back, especially on the special teams and on the offensive side of the ball. I think what I would say was, first and goal from the four with a 17-10 lead, it could’ve been 24-10. That might not have been enough, but it might have changed the way the game was played as well. I think even though our defense gave up a lot of yardage in the running game, I think there were two series that we played very, very well. The ball on first and ten at our 35-yard line after the opening kickoff of the second half and with the first and ten from the 12-yard line after the punt return. For them to come away with no points should have been enough for us to win. We didn’t and we feel very badly about that, but it’s time to move on.

Marvelousmik
11-07-2012, 10:04 AM

i thought the d line played well sunday. each osi, tuck, and jpp had a sack and when ben didnt get the ball out quick the pressure got there. i feel like the running game had to mostly do with bad linebacker play but i would have to re-watch the game

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I wasn't defending Tuck by any means... I absolutely agree with your assessment. I wonder though, is it the players or is it players not buying into the scheme they are playing? This is a team built around being aggressive and attacking, it seems to me that they are spending more time worrying about making a big mistake than making a play.

I know you weren't defending Tuck. Your question is the old chicken/egg issue. I have always believed that whatever play is called it is the responsibility of the players to execute it. Look at any failed play you want and if you can say "if only he had done xxxxx", it's execution. A throw to the back shoulder along the sidelines is not a bad call if it's caught. But if it's not caught or it's intercepted "the play sucked." I just don't buy that.

Even players acknowledge you have to execute the plays called.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:07 AM
i thought the d line played well sunday. each osi, tuck, and jpp had a sack and when ben didnt get the ball out quick the pressure got there. i feel like the running game had to mostly do with bad linebacker play but i would have to re-watch the game

This is my point; playing well on select Sunday's is a lack of consistency

gumby74
11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
I know you weren't defending Tuck. Your question is the old chicken/egg issue. I have always believed that whatever play is called it is the responsibility of the players to execute it. Look at any failed play you want and if you can say "if only he had done xxxxx", it's execution. A throw to the back shoulder along the sidelines is not a bad call if it's caught. But if it's not caught or it's intercepted "the play sucked." I just don't buy that.

I completely disagree. A bad play call is a bad play call regardless of whether it works or not. If you do a fake punt on your own 1 yard line and it turns out to be a touchdown? Is it a good play call? This is obviously an extreme but I think you get my point.

GameTime
11-07-2012, 10:17 AM
I completely disagree. A bad play call is a bad play call regardless of whether it works or not. If you do a fake punt on your own 1 yard line and it turns out to be a touchdown? Is it a good play call? This is obviously an extreme but I think you get my point.

Extreme plays, like you mentioned, are different than routine plays or routine play calls where execution is key......

brad
11-07-2012, 10:17 AM

To some degree, I agree with this. However if play calling and coaching were simply a matter of players executing the play called, anyone would be capable of coaching. I don't buy that... Game plans, plays called during the game and getting players into a position to make plays based on what you expect the opponent to do is as much a science as an art form. If the coaches didn't matter, why go out and spend millions a year on coaching staff, you could just hire a bunch of guys like me and you for far less.

In my opinion, coaching, game plans, play calling, adjustments during the game and execution all contribute equally to the outcome of a game.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:18 AM

We will just agree to disagree. If a play is successful, it was the right call, properly executed. If that same play fails, it wasn't executed properly.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:20 AM
To some degree, I agree with this. However if play calling and coaching were simply a matter of players executing the play called, anyone would be capable of coaching. I don't buy that... Game plans, plays called during the game and getting players into a position to make plays based on what you expect the opponent to do is as much a science as an art form. If the coaches didn't matter, why go out and spend millions a year on coaching staff, you could just hire a bunch of guys like me and you for far less.

In my opinion, coaching, game plans, play calling, adjustments during the game and execution all contribute equally to the outcome of a game.

Of course it all factors in, but, for me, execution is the key to whatever play is called. In our case, most, if not all, plays are called on the field by Eli, not the coaching staff.

Rat_bastich
11-07-2012, 10:20 AM

I agree with the execution part, but the coaches job is to ensure discipline and to have the players in the right defensive positions/spots on the field. I think the whole breakdown is a combined effort of the coaches and the players. If the players are not doing what they are supposed to then they need to be disciplined and if the coaching is just horrid then TC needs to take care of that. Losses and play like this can cause alot of damage in the locker room and cause a tailspin. Of course, all this can be cured by a good showing and a convincing win or two.

jomo
11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
eight games into the season........nice observation coach........run defense has not been a problem this year and he was commenting on Sundays game so what's your point?

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:23 AM
I agree with the execution part, but the coaches job is to ensure discipline and to have the players in the right defensive positions/spots on the field. I think the whole breakdown is a combined effort of the coaches and the players. If the players are not doing what they are supposed to then they need to be disciplined and if the coaching is just horrid then TC needs to take care of that. Losses and play like this can cause alot of damage in the locker room and cause a tailspin. Of course, all this can be cured by a good showing and a convincing win or two.

On Sunday, specifically, Herzlich seemed to have no clue as to setting up the defense. Players were looking around, moving back and forth as the snap count was being called. They either have to let Boley do it until Blackburn gets back or suffer.

rainierjef
11-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Osi should have been on the sidelines for most of that game. Dude can't stop the run, he has no pursuit for the HB, gets locked up on his tackle and never breaks free.
most of the runs went up the middle, go re watch the game. Osi actually played the run this game surprisingly.

brad
11-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Of course it all factors in, but, for me, execution is the key to whatever play is called. In our case, most, if not all, plays are called on the field by Eli, not the coaching staff.

If Eli is calling the plays, he needs to speed it up a bit... I don't think he is calling the play as much as he is changing the play based on what he sees at the line, but I could be wrong there....

Execution is critical, but a perfectly executed play against a defense that is designed specifically to stop that play, and is perfectly executed, isn't going to succeed. Now, if you see what a defense is doing, then call a play that takes advantage of whatever weakness is exposed by the defensive call you make execution that much easier.

For example, let's say the defense is dropping the safeties deep and playing man coverage on your outside receivers, dropping one LB back to cover the middle of the field and bringing in two LBs to shoot the gaps.

- If the offense decides to run, you have a difficult path because the LBs will be there to hold it to a 2-3 yard gain.

- If you decide to throw deep you have to thread that pass perfectly between the safety and the corner, with perfect execution.

- If you decide to draw away the linebacker using the TE to guide him away from the play and send your back out into the flat you have a wide open man with a fairly easy throw and catch. Yes, they have to execute, but not perfectly.

This is probably a pretty crude example, I am no offensive guru. But I have seen enough football to recognize that football is as much a chess match as it is physical. Great coaches with a great game plan that takes advantage of their strengths and their opponents weakness/tendencies can win games even with mediocre talent against the best in the league. Execution is critical, but coaches are responsible for coming up with a strategy that makes it easier to execute.

Even if Eli is calling the plays, he is calling plays based on the strategy given to him by KG... if that isn't the case, then KG is really just a highly paid guy that get's to watch the games for free... I don't buy that for one minute.... but I would happily take his job for half the price!

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:42 AM
If Eli is calling the plays, he needs to speed it up a bit... I don't think he is calling the play as much as he is changing the play based on what he sees at the line, but I could be wrong there....

Execution is critical, but a perfectly executed play against a defense that is designed specifically to stop that play, and is perfectly executed, isn't going to succeed. Now, if you see what a defense is doing, then call a play that takes advantage of whatever weakness is exposed by the defensive call you make execution that much easier.

For example, let's say the defense is dropping the safeties deep and playing man coverage on your outside receivers, dropping one LB back to cover the middle of the field and bringing in two LBs to shoot the gaps.

- If the offense decides to run, you have a difficult path because the LBs will be there to hold it to a 2-3 yard gain.

- If you decide to throw deep you have to thread that pass perfectly between the safety and the corner, with perfect execution.

- If you decide to draw away the linebacker using the TE to guide him away from the play and send your back out into the flat you have a wide open man with a fairly easy throw and catch. Yes, they have to execute, but not perfectly.

This is probably a pretty crude example, I am no offensive guru. But I have seen enough football to recognize that football is as much a chess match as it is physical. Great coaches with a great game plan that takes advantage of their strengths and their opponents weakness/tendencies can win games even with mediocre talent against the best in the league. Execution is critical, but coaches are responsible for coming up with a strategy that makes it easier to execute.

Even if Eli is calling the plays, he is calling plays based on the strategy given to him by KG... if that isn't the case, then KG is really just a highly paid guy that get's to watch the games for free... I don't buy that for one minute.... but I would happily take his job for half the price!

Now you hit on a really great point. We look at plays/games and rant and rave (me included) when things go wrong, especially when the game ends up being a loss. Rarely do we seem to recognize there are eleven players on the field in different uniforms dedicated to ****ing things up.

brad
11-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Now you hit on a really great point. We look at plays/games and rant and rave (me included) when things go wrong, especially when the game ends up being a loss. Rarely do we seem to recognize there are eleven players on the field in different uniforms dedicated to ****ing things up.

LOL... if it wasn't for those 11 jerks.. we would have won easily!

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 10:49 AM
LOL... if it wasn't for those 11 jerks.. we would have won easily!

I rest my case :p

CowboysSuck
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
TC is delusional. This is on the shoulders of the offense and his reluctance to change ANYTHING on the offense. this is bull****.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 11:12 AM
TC is delusional. This is on the shoulders of the offense and his reluctance to change ANYTHING on the offense. this is bull****.

So you're OK with the run defense?

GameTime
11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
he is but one piece of a puzzle that is not quite right....
TC delusional??....No he's not but he does need to take control and figure this thing out

stormblue
11-07-2012, 11:15 AM

+1
exactly. execution is not always possible , the other team gets a paycheck too.
and although each team has their own playbook....everybody has pretty much the same plays.
it's not just what you call , it's when you call it.

the chess-match has been poorly played as of late.

CowboysSuck
11-07-2012, 11:27 AM
So you're OK with the run defense?

No. not at all. But i think hes taking away from the real issue.

Also, I was blabbering last week about our offense (and defense for that matter) are going to have to match the physicality of the steelers and and everyone called me crazy. Saying , oh remember SanFran? same story...blah blah blah.

We flat our got pushed around and smacked in the mouth.

I'm not sure what the take away message of that game was but.... physicality, toughness, relentlessness are things we didnt show.

dezzzR
11-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Iv been saying this since Perrys first season here. Its been going on for 3 years.

dezzzR
11-07-2012, 11:38 AM
On Sunday, specifically, Herzlich seemed to have no clue as to setting up the defense. Players were looking around, moving back and forth as the snap count was being called. They either have to let Boley do it until Blackburn gets back or suffer.Maybe its just a bad scheme. Even with Blackburn at MLB WR still run wild on us either due to poor coverage or miscues. This Perrys third year and we still have miscues at an alarming rate.

JesseJames
11-07-2012, 11:40 AM
seems to me that TC needs to have a long talk with his DC and find out what the problem is and its passed time for this conversation..

brad
11-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Maybe its just a bad scheme. Even with Blackburn at MLB WR still run wild on us either due to poor coverage or miscues. This Perrys third year and we still have miscues at an alarming rate.

I think that is a pretty good assessment... this defense is much more effective when they are attacking rather than reacting.

JesseJames
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I think Bradshaw not practicing is showing up in his game and I can't figure out why he is in there because he is obviously not 100%, I think at this point in time it would be best to sit him down a game or 2 and let the other 2 guys run the show til he's better. Parcells theory was if you don't practice you don't play on sunday and I think he was right...

brad
11-07-2012, 12:04 PM
I think Bradshaw not practicing is showing up in his game and I can't figure out why he is in there because he is obviously not 100%, I think at this point in time it would be best to sit him down a game or 2 and let the other 2 guys run the show til he's better. Parcells theory was if you don't practice you don't play on sunday and I think he was right...

Parcells also believed that as long as you are averaging more than 3.3 yards a carry, keep running the ball.

Bradshaw isn't exactly playing his best football, but I don't think he has been the only problem on this offense. They aren't doing a good job of opening up the run lately and haven't been taking advantage of what the defense is giving them.

gumby74
11-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Parcells also believed that as long as you are averaging more than 3.3 yards a carry, keep running the ball.

Bradshaw isn't exactly playing his best football, but I don't think he has been the only problem on this offense. They aren't doing a good job of opening up the run lately and haven't been taking advantage of what the defense is giving them.

I think the same way as well. Let's get a consistent 3 yards per play and then worry about 3rd and short. Bradshaw is too much, 0, 1, 0, and then he'll bust out a 10 yarder

giantsforce
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
eight games into the season........nice observation coach.Brilliant! Isn't it? Did he come to this conclusion after he watched the Steelers tape? How about the other games? The bigger question is: What is he going to do about it? Don't point out the problems coach. We know them. Tell us how you are going to solve them. Isn't that part of your job?

giantsforce
11-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Iv been saying this since Perrys first season here. Its been going on for 3 years.I guess Coughlin just now watched the tapes of the games and he came to this conclusion.

mikeq6722
11-07-2012, 01:30 PM
What does he expect? Fewell's whole defensive scheme is soft. No blitzing, soft zone defense, then just pray for a turnover as the team drives down the field every possession.

JayMas9
11-07-2012, 01:35 PM
What does he expect? Fewell's whole defensive scheme is soft. No blitzing, soft zone defense, then just pray for a turnover as the team drives down the field every possession.Pretty much every time we blitzed on Sunday the Steelers had a positive offensive play. We blitz, it just doesn't always work.

bandwgn86
11-07-2012, 01:38 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_find_themselves_in_rush.html#incart_river)

Excerpt: "In a sport predicated on physicality, it is a word no football player, unit or team ever wants to become associated with.

Soft.

But that was how coach Tom Coughlin described the middle of the Giants’ defense for portions of their 24-20 loss to the Steelers Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

“It was soft, no question,” Coughlin said matter-of-factly Monday.

“It was soft early. We came back and played a little bit better and then they had their breakout there at the end of the game.”

Defensive end Justin Tuck said the Giants were “mushed” around by the Steelers offensive linemen, as third-string running back Isaac Redman gashed the defense for a career-high 147 yards on 26 carries with a straightforward running style that lacked flash.

“Not to the point where they were more physical than us,” Tuck asserted. “But to the point where you got a guy in the gap and Redman was just behind his guard, behind his guard, and a guy jumps out of his gap trying to get around to get to Redman and he kind of like filters forward for three more, four more yards, and that’s just us got to do a better job of escaping blocks and getting to the ball carrier.” Read more...looked pretty soft to me as well, good article except the constant misspelling of defence..

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 01:43 PM
looked pretty soft to me as well, good article except the constant misspelling of defence..

Across the Pond it's defence while in the USA it's defense

bandwgn86
11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Across the Pond it's defence while in the USA it's defenselol.. i know ;)

stormblue
11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
.......run defense has not been a problem this year and he was commenting on Sundays game so what's your point?

my point would be that we give up 4.6 yards per carry , 28th in the league.
if that's ok with you then i guess there's no problem at all.

Rudyy
11-07-2012, 02:46 PM
What's soft is this conservative play calling.

TheAnalyst
11-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Did you guys see how the terrible defense of the Saints attacked Vick the other day? I would love to see that again. That is how you beat the Eagles. Fewell would just rush 3 at him and have a spy on him to stop him from running, but he has all day to throw and finds someone wide open.

RoanokeFan
11-07-2012, 03:34 PM
lol.. i know ;)

You never know on here

YATittle1962
11-07-2012, 03:58 PM
4 out of 9 games this season they allowed 140 + rushing yards

yeah I'd say soft may be used lightly here

GameTime
11-07-2012, 04:00 PM
4 out of 9 games this season they allowed 140 + rushing yards

yeah I'd say soft may be used lightly here
especially vs the Steelers when they ran up the middle 90% of the time.....

YATittle1962
11-07-2012, 04:02 PM

where the F was the interior line all game?

they were straight getting blown up

I know the Steelers O line is big .....but c'mon !!!!!

GameTime
11-07-2012, 04:05 PM
where the F was the interior line all game?

they were straight getting blown up

I know the Steelers O line is big .....but c'mon !!!!!

I was sitting in section 250 in the endzone screaming before the plays...."Hey D...he is running up the middle...AGAIN....be ready"..

they didnt listen....
Looks like their alignment wasnt even ready to clog the middle. I guess they were waiting for the cut backs that rarely happened....

BillTheGreek
11-07-2012, 04:31 PM

+ 1

mikeq6722
11-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Pretty much every time we blitzed on Sunday the Steelers had a positive offensive play. We blitz, it just doesn't always work.

Fewell has no clue how to be creative when blitzing. He doesnt blitz, and the few times he does, he just sends the house and we get burned on a slant.

Speaking of slants, ever heard of them Glibride?

Captain Chaos
11-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Both the D and the O were off on Sunday, and TC commented on both...He is not a happy camper right now. They need to get through this Bengals game and then take a real good look at themselves for the stretch run.

Rat_bastich
11-08-2012, 05:56 AM
I was sitting in section 250 in the endzone screaming before the plays...."Hey D...he is running up the middle...AGAIN....be ready"..

they didnt listen....
Looks like their alignment wasnt even ready to clog the middle. I guess they were waiting for the cut backs that rarely happened....

Watching from the camera point of view you could see the defense getting pushed off the line. Even in their technique, the linemen always seemed to be over the wrong shoulder and the linebackers seemed to slant or shift in the wrong direction. I wonder how much rushing yardage came after first contact as I saw alot of shoulder (attempted) tackles as well.

bigblue58
11-08-2012, 08:38 AM
The OL has been pushed around too! Thats why I still can't understand why they would waive Mitch Petrus, who had been doing a good job, to activate Travis Beckum who is anything but a priority right now with Bennett becoming a go to TE!

appodictic
11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't put this.on the d they let Eli have a lead.into the.4th. Then the team went 3 and out 3 times. Giving Eli a lead is the.last.think you want to do. He will just lose it so he can get another comeback.

joemorrisforprez
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Our defense is soft because our linebackers can't shed a block nor shoot a gap.....that's what made LT, Carson, Banks, and Reasons so special.

stormblue
11-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Our defense is soft because our linebackers can't shed a block nor shoot a gap.....that's what made LT, Carson, Banks, and Reasons so special.

......or tackle worth a damn. actually , the poor tackling on the entire team is disgusting.
buncha wussbags.

bearbryant
11-09-2012, 03:20 AM
The LOS was being realigned 3-4 yards downfield. It was a joke because when the LOS made it 1st and 7 instead of 1st and 10 our new MLB from BC was never in position to do anything except jump on the pile 4 yards downfield; He's horrrible!!! Don't play him if you want 11 men on the field!!! Tuck played a better game than he has all year, but they just doubled JPP, and road graded the rest of the Giants in front of them. SO BAD!!! And fewell changed nothing to try and stop them!Webster got sick of being called out and actually played a tough, hard nosed game! Way to go, keep it up, Webby! Our DC has no idea of how to use the talent he has. Another team would fire his ***, He is worse than sheridan,,. His idea of a smart defense game plan is to wear the offense down into making a mistake to get the ball back ;not stop the 3rd down attempt. Therer are no blitzes, pressure packs, no zone loads, nothing. The guy should watch the game from home!
Time to wake up and smell the second half swoon... OR ELSE! Go Giants!.

Rat_bastich
11-09-2012, 04:06 AM
When the Giants played both Dallas and the Redskins that should've given him an indication that our defense is soft. How many times did they convert on third down and how many times did they attempt to convert on 4th? If someone is attempting to convert on 4th down then they have no respect for your defense and feel the odds of you stopping them is very low. They didn't even attempt hard counts to draw the Giants off sides.

Just took a look at some stats of Perry Fewell's days in Buffalo as a defensive coordinator from 2006-2009. In 2009 he took over as head coach by the way. His total defense on these teams have been anywhere from 29th ranked to the best, 14th ranked. His worst pass defense was 29th and best was 2nd. His rush defense has been at worst 30th and at best 22nd. His weakness has always been the run. I don't know if the runs for those years were up the gut or not. Of course his defenses have always been known for takeaways.

Tmurda1984
11-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Do anyone think maybe the depth at Defensive Tackle is being challenged? Remember that Joseph and Kuhn are getting alot of snaps for big guys. Guys like Rogers and Canty was hurt all season, and now Canty is back in the rotation. Marvin Austin is a joke of a player on that field, and doesnt see much of the field anyway. How much of the blame goes to Reese going after a washed-up Rogers, continuing to watch Austin struggled or injured, and having an late round rookie start for us! And then fans want to shout as if this is an X's and O's thing..NO its not. I watch Chase Blackburn getting clobered by Guards because of our FAILED interior linemen, and watching Herzlich out there had to be comical for Steeler fans and their organization. THAT WAS FCKIN EMBARASSING AND HARD TO WATCH. I NEVER SEEN A TEAM SO SOFT IN MY LIFE. This team needs to get there weight up and stop playing like some cowards.

Cloud57
11-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Do anyone think maybe the depth at Defensive Tackle is being challenged? Remember that Joseph and Kuhn are getting alot of snaps for big guys. Guys like Rogers and Canty was hurt all season, and now Canty is back in the rotation. Marvin Austin is a joke of a player on that field, and doesnt see much of the field anyway. How much of the blame goes to Reese going after a washed-up Rogers, continuing to watch Austin struggled or injured, and having an late round rookie start for us! And then fans want to shout as if this is an X's and O's thing..NO its not. I watch Chase Blackburn getting clobered by Guards because of our FAILED interior linemen, and watching Herzlich out there had to be comical for Steeler fans and their organization. THAT WAS FCKIN EMBARASSING AND HARD TO WATCH. I NEVER SEEN A TEAM SO SOFT IN MY LIFE. This team needs to get there weight up and stop playing like some cowards.

good point other than the Dline we lack quality players on defense.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM

That was disheartening

B&RWarrior
11-10-2012, 12:09 AM

Canty/Joseph
Mark/Boley
Our Safety

I agree with this except for the last part. Kiwi is great against the run.

JJC7301
11-10-2012, 12:20 AM
+1. There's not one thing scary about this D. Just put extra attention on JPP, and the opposing O has no problem.

I can't state how disappointed I am with the D.