PDA

View Full Version : WERE 4-1 when ELI throws 35plus passes..

nycsportzfan
11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
And the 1loss was basically a WIN, as it was the eagles game where ELI got us in FG range to win it but threw that unnecesary deep pass to Barden for crucial penalty, or else we'd be 5-0 in games he throws at least 35passes.. When he doesen't throw at least 35passes, were 1-2, with one WIN coming against Niners, which had alot to do with 3picks we got against Alex Smith..

Its clear as day that were a passing team that needs to just go out there and have fun and let ELI use that golden arm of his, and all the weapons at his disposal.. I mean, theres a reason that everyone of our backup WR's have had a big game this yr outside of jerrnigan.. They can play, and ELI can throw! When u got Randle, Nicks, Cruz, Barden, Hixon, and Bennett, and even Jerrnigan, u simply don't need to be so balanced.. U use what ur strength is, and i believe Bradshaw would be that much better as a timely run, type of back...

brad
11-07-2012, 12:00 PM
That stat might be a bit deceiving... On the surface it suggests they should pass more and run less, but if you look deeper, did they have a higher percentage of passes vs runs in the games they lost or did they go 3 and out more?

nycsportzfan
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
That stat might be a bit deceiving... On the surface it suggests they should pass more and run less, but if you look deeper, did they have a higher percentage of passes vs runs in the games they lost or did they go 3 and out more? All i know is when ELI"s throwing the ball, are chances are better then when hes not, most of the time.. Its really not debatable that ELI, Nicks, and Cruz are the 3best players on offense, and we have pass blocked very well most of the yr, and when u add in that our WIN when he threw less then 35passes was against Dallas last wk, and that we would of lost had it not been for a defensive TD, it seems kinda easy to see that were better the more he throws...

brad
11-07-2012, 12:23 PM
All i know is when ELI"s throwing the ball, are chances are better then when hes not, most of the time.. Its really not debatable that ELI, Nicks, and Cruz are the 3best players on offense, and we have pass blocked very well most of the yr, and when u add in that our WIN when he threw less then 35passes was against Dallas last wk, and that we would of lost had it not been for a defensive TD, it seems kinda easy to see that were better the more he throws...

Not arguing that with this offense the pass sets up the run, clearly that is the case. However, if Eli isn't completing his passes and getting first downs the result is the same as running three times without getting a first. Eli hasn't exactly been playing well the past few games, and it isn't because they aren't throwing the ball, it's because they aren't completing the passes they are throwing.

If you throw 3 passes then go to the sidelines, he only throws three passes. If you run twice then throw once and continue to move the chains, he ends up completing more passes in that drive than if he went three and out. The point being that having Eli throw more as a percentage doesn't necessarily translate to more passes in the game if they can't move the chains and keep the drive going. I haven't checked the numbers to actually compare, but I would bet that as a percentage, they are throwing as much, if not more, as a percentage in the losses as they did in the wins. How many throws he has during a game depends on how many plays they run.

nycsportzfan
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Not arguing that with this offense the pass sets up the run, clearly that is the case. However, if Eli isn't completing his passes and getting first downs the result is the same as running three times without getting a first. Eli hasn't exactly been playing well the past few games, and it isn't because they aren't throwing the ball, it's because they aren't completing the passes they are throwing.

If you throw 3 passes then go to the sidelines, he only throws three passes. If you run twice then throw once and continue to move the chains, he ends up completing more passes in that drive than if he went three and out. The point being that having Eli throw more as a percentage doesn't necessarily translate to more passes in the game if they can't move the chains and keep the drive going. I haven't checked the numbers to actually compare, but I would bet that as a percentage, they are throwing as much, if not more, as a percentage in the losses as they did in the wins. How many throws he has during a game depends on how many plays they run. ya, true to a degree. But for some reason, when were behind and have to throw more, and not abandon the run, but lean a bit more on the pass, is when our offense is at its best.. When our OC has no choice but to start mixing in a few more passes then a totally balanced attack, were at our best, and it seems to get ELI in a groove.. Its no coincidence that against CLE and TAMPA, we were behind when we were doing a "balanced" attack, and then boom, ELI gets free reign if u will, and our offense simply can't be stopped..

The proof is in the last couple weeks, when we have actually had leads against both pittsburgh and dallas, but our offense goes to conventional "run/pass/run/pass type offense, we stay bogged down and it gives oppositon a chance to catch up instead of us piling on and making game outta reach.. Same can be said against Washington, when we were down, we easily struck for a 80yrd TD, because we had to move fairly fast, and couldent' be completely balanced.. Were at our best when were not playing balanced football, but leaning a bit more on the pass.. Its been that way all season long

BeatYale
11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Isn't he passing 35+ times in those games because we found success with the passing game early on and continued it throughout the game?

giantsfan420
11-07-2012, 02:39 PM
ya, true to a degree. But for some reason, when were behind and have to throw more, and not abandon the run, but lean a bit more on the pass, is when our offense is at its best.. When our OC has no choice but to start mixing in a few more passes then a totally balanced attack, were at our best, and it seems to get ELI in a groove.. Its no coincidence that against CLE and TAMPA, we were behind when we were doing a "balanced" attack, and then boom, ELI gets free reign if u will, and our offense simply can't be stopped..

The proof is in the last couple weeks, when we have actually had leads against both pittsburgh and dallas, but our offense goes to conventional "run/pass/run/pass type offense, we stay bogged down and it gives oppositon a chance to catch up instead of us piling on and making game outta reach.. Same can be said against Washington, when we were down, we easily struck for a 80yrd TD, because we had to move fairly fast, and couldent' be completely balanced.. Were at our best when were not playing balanced football, but leaning a bit more on the pass.. Its been that way all season long
well made point but i think it goes deeper than that but def see where ur coming from.
maybe it means we shouldnt take our feet off the gas pedal, and just play as if we are behind at all times? I dunno eli can be too hot and cold sometimes

brad
11-07-2012, 05:41 PM
well made point but i think it goes deeper than that but def see where ur coming from.
maybe it means we shouldnt take our feet off the gas pedal, and just play as if we are behind at all times? I dunno eli can be too hot and cold sometimes

Definitely agree that that they need to keep their foot on the gas when they have a lead... that seems to be a problem for them. It's like they (offense and defense) play not to lose instead of playing to win... sounds like semantics but there is a big difference.

They also seem to have a problem early in games, they just take too long to get going. Not sure if that is scheme, players or a combination of the two, but it is an area they need to address.

BlueSanta
11-07-2012, 08:15 PM
This info could be mean a lot of different things tho.

You could argue that this stat clearly indicates we should pass more. Let Eli doing his thing.

or

You could also argue that othe stat is an indicator of just how poor our running game is.

I choose to believe this team is at it's best when it is balanced. Our best game all year was the San Fran game where we used run, play-action, and pure passing.

nycsportzfan
11-08-2012, 07:49 AM
This info could be mean a lot of different things tho.

You could argue that this stat clearly indicates we should pass more. Let Eli doing his thing.

or

You could also argue that othe stat is an indicator of just how poor our running game is.

I choose to believe this team is at it's best when it is balanced. Our best game all year was the San Fran game where we used run, play-action, and pure passing. yes, but the SF game was heavily based on our defense forcing 3picks of Alex Smith as well, which had alot fo do with the outcome and i'm sure it knocked the wind outta SF's defense, when they have Smith throwing picks in the endzone with Randy Moss wide open in back of the endzone, so much so that frank gore is pointing at em to throw it there..lol

I think our offense is better as a pass more then run offense even last yr, as we were last in the NFL in rushing, yet WON the SB, and guys like NICKS nad CRUZ had monster seasons.. And it continued right into this season, with CLE game, TAMPA game..etc Even the Carolina game, we got it going with the pass, and then Andre Brown had a field day because of how shook Carolina had to be of our pass game.. On the first drive of that game, ELI went 2for2 on first 2plays of game for 20yrds, which got carolina on there heals and we finished it off with 2more completions, 1for a TD to Bennett, and ELI ended up 5passes compared to 3runs...

2nd drive was 6pass compared to 2runs, and ended with points.. So first 2drives of game, we had passed 11times compared to 5run plays and we scored 10points, and at that point we had Carolina on there heels..

nycsportzfan
11-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Isn't he passing 35+ times in those games because we found success with the passing game early on and continued it throughout the game? Not at all.. If u read along, we went balanced attack against Cle and TB and they both jumped out to solid leads, and then we were forced to kinda pass our way back into it, and we just continued it right through the comeback and then some..

Against carolina, ur right, we passed the ball right outta the gates and were very successful which opened up the run game for A.Brown.. Its the only formula that works for this team, because we simply don't have a dominant RB, but decnet rb's that if u get the defense worried about the pass offense, they will certainly be successful..

BlueSanta
11-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I think our offense is better as a pass more then run offense even last yr, as we were last in the NFL in rushing, yet WON the SB, and guys like NICKS nad CRUZ had monster seasons..

Again though, that is also misleading.

We are definitely a pass 1st team. Almost everyone is now. The NFL just made passing too easy.

However, when we went on our late season tear it was in large part because we started running the ball more successfully.

Our regular season rushing average was 3.5 ypc. Our postseason average was 4.2. That is a significant difference and also the biggest single stat difference between our very mediocre play in the regular season and our late season tear. That is the difference between the 14th ranked rushing attack and the last ranked rushing attack. Eli just plays better when we are able to run the ball.

nycsportzfan
11-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Again though, that is also misleading.

We are definitely a pass 1st team. Almost everyone is now. The NFL just made passing too easy.

However, when we went on our late season tear it was in large part because we started running the ball more successfully.

Our regular season rushing average was 3.5 ypc. Our postseason average was 4.2. That is a significant difference and also the biggest single stat difference between our very mediocre play in the regular season and our late season tear. That is the difference between the 14th ranked rushing attack and the last ranked rushing attack. Eli just plays better when we are able to run the ball. true, but we still got to the postseason with the last ranked rushing attack, and that says something.. Regardless of how the nfl has transformed, and made it easy to pass, every team was still better at running the ball then us, and we still were no slouches throwing in the postseason, hence ELI being SB MVP, which isn't given to a guy for handing off all game..lol

I mean, ELI went 30-40 with no picks in the SB for godsake!!!lol Thats amazing! He also threw the ball 58times in SF in NFC champ game! 58!!! He had 9td and 1int in the whole postseason with like 1200plus yrds in only 4games! Thats avg'ing 300plus yrds and over 2tds per game! The pass was huge for us in the postseason..

I mean, throwing 58times compared to 26runs is certainly not balanced... We also ran 28 compared to 40pass in SB..We only avg'd 3.7ypc avg'd out over the NFC CHAMP game and SB, which were by far are biggest tests, and best teams faced...

MattMeyerBud
11-08-2012, 07:20 PM
And the 1loss was basically a WIN, as it was the eagles game where ELI got us in FG range to win it but threw that unnecesary deep pass to Barden for crucial penalty, or else we'd be 5-0 in games he throws at least 35passes.. When he doesen't throw at least 35passes, were 1-2, with one WIN coming against Niners, which had alot to do with 3picks we got against Alex Smith..

Its clear as day that were a passing team that needs to just go out there and have fun and let ELI use that golden arm of his, and all the weapons at his disposal.. I mean, theres a reason that everyone of our backup WR's have had a big game this yr outside of jerrnigan.. They can play, and ELI can throw! When u got Randle, Nicks, Cruz, Barden, Hixon, and Bennett, and even Jerrnigan, u simply don't need to be so balanced.. U use what ur strength is, and i believe Bradshaw would be that much better as a timely run, type of back...

yea but all 35 passes can't be to Victor Cruz which is the way its seemed. He has to get back to spreading the ball around.