PDA

View Full Version : Could not see the forest for the trees

Hessian
11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
The Gmen are 6-3, they've played some good and bad games. I enjoyed the Steelers game immensely! Good gameplay on both sides of the ball. The fact that some of us cannot enjoy the game, even in a loss, makes me wonder why people even watch. 6-3, control the division, play a difficult schedule the rest of the way. What isn't there to like? If you watched through the 80's, or god forbid prior to the Giants last NFL championship, you would cherish quality games/seasons/SB's! I think you do, you just don't see it :)

CowboysSuck
11-07-2012, 10:31 PM
If there was a Giants Message Board in the 70's and 80's and 90's Id bet my mortgage on the fact fans would still gripe and moan just like they do now. Its part of sport. Deep deeep down we are all optimists and root like hell for the Gmen on gameday. Win or lose most of us keep the faith :) . It's just fun to ***** and moan.

DemandedAce
11-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Good gameplay? Did you watch the NEW YORK Giants play??

Hessian
11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Good gameplay? Did you watch the NEW YORK Giants play??
I did, lost by 4, to a talented team. 4 sacks, yes they did give up a 100 yard game to a 3rd string back but, that line could push any line in the league around. Moral of the story is we got beat by four, Eli and the receivers miscued. Speaking of which, Pittsburg set the tone by laying the wood to one or two of our receivers(legally or not). Scared the **** out of them apparently. Thats ok, we set the tone by laying the wood to Rothlesberger(however you spell that ****) That's where I was going with this. Good hard hitting game. Four ****ing point game. They won, move on.

Overdrive92
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
The Gmen are 6-3, they've played some good and bad games. I enjoyed the Steelers game immensely! Good gameplay on both sides of the ball. The fact that some of us cannot enjoy the game, even in a loss, makes me wonder why people even watch. 6-3, control the division, play a difficult schedule the rest of the way. What isn't there to like? If you watched through the 80's, or god forbid prior to the Giants last NFL championship, you would cherish quality games/seasons/SB's! I think you do, you just don't see it :)

Your perspective is the same as mine when I have no rooting interest. I just watch two teams, say the Steelers and Ravens, out of enjoyment for football. But I have no rooting interest.

Watching the Giants, I have a rooting interest. So watching them get spanked up and down the field? Not fun. Pretty abysmal actually.

miked1958
11-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I have been a fan since mid to late 60s. So I've seen some BAD Football I my time. So yes I appreciate what's going on now

CowboysSuck
11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
So what if I was born in 1990? I saw the 02 03 04 seasons. those were pretty bad... I remember in 03-4 we went 4-12. It was like watching a 16 episode horror movie. But i still watched every game and went bananas.

Hessian
11-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Your perspective is the same as mine when I have no rooting interest. I just watch two teams, say the Steelers and Ravens, out of enjoyment for football. But I have no rooting interest.

Watching the Giants, I have a rooting interest. So watching them get spanked up and down the field? Not fun. Pretty abysmal actually.
Cannot argue your or anyone's opinion, but the game was winnable at the very end. It's not like it was a blowout, lets play jacks on the car ride home during the third kinda game. I have a rooting interest also, but I can accept a loss.

Hessian
11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
So what if I was born in 1990? I saw the 02 03 04 seasons. those were pretty bad... I remember in 03-4 we went 4-12. It was like watching a 16 episode horror movie. But i still watched every game and went bananas.
I'd say you're a fantastic fan, but I don't believe those years were that bad :)

Overdrive92
11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Cannot argue your or anyone's opinion, but the game was winnable at the very end. It's not like it was a blowout, lets play jacks on the car ride home during the third kinda game. I have a rooting interest also, but I can accept a loss.

It was winnable, but had it not been for the ref's assistance, it may have been a blowout.

Glad you can accept a loss though! I'm not terrible with losses, but it does leave me in a disappointing mood for a day or 2. Wish I could be more like you in that regard lol.

Hessian
11-07-2012, 11:04 PM
I have been a fan since mid to late 60s. So I've seen some BAD Football I my time. So yes I appreciate what's going on now
You've seen more than I, and stated it in a more respectable manner than I ever could.

BMW
11-08-2012, 12:48 AM
The Gmen are 6-3, they've played some good and bad games. I enjoyed the Steelers game immensely! Good gameplay on both sides of the ball. The fact that some of us cannot enjoy the game, even in a loss, makes me wonder why people even watch. 6-3, control the division, play a difficult schedule the rest of the way. What isn't there to like? If you watched through the 80's, or god forbid prior to the Giants last NFL championship, you would cherish quality games/seasons/SB's! I think you do, you just don't see it :)Good gameplay on BOTH sides of the ball? Do you watch the NFL on mars or something?

GiantGremlin
11-08-2012, 01:50 AM

I had a feeling they were going to lose this game, anyways there's a lot to be happy about - The rest of the div stinks, and none of the other 3 teams have played each other. As for their remaining schedule - Cinci & Wash on the road & NO @ home are all games the Giants should win & be more than enough overall wins to get them the division.

Captain Chaos
11-08-2012, 04:50 AM
I watched and saw the team lose steam in the 4th quarter and to be honest wasn't a bit surprised. With the week they had I think they did well to get out there and compete. I think we'll see a different team out there this weekend!

giantscolombia
11-08-2012, 08:33 AM
It was winnable, but had it not been for the ref's assistance, it may have been a blowout.

Glad you can accept a loss though! I'm not terrible with losses, but it does leave me in a disappointing mood for a day or 2. Wish I could be more like you in that regard lol.

Yea dude i mean we could have had that game but just like the cowboys game... this could have been a good game by the giants! i understand that in the past it was hard to be a giants win but a lost is a lost dude even if we lose by 2 its still a lost...

when it comes to a loss im sore about it for the rest of the week SPECIALLY with a lost like last weeks when we were sooo close but we just gave it up....

stormblue
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
yes , a 6-3 record with a 2 game lead on the rest of the division
looks pretty good on the surface.
but this team has been winning ugly and steadily declining for a month.
we have gone from "winning ugly" to "losing uglier".
it's not the record....it's the obvious month-long downward spiral of the offense.

and i'm not saying the defense is faultless .....but we already know our defense blows.
but even though they can't force a punt , they do get a lot of turnovers and create
good field position and opportunities that our offense does not take advantage of.

it's not the 6-3 record , it's the constant 3 and outs that are leaving us in fear of 6-10.

TheAnalyst
11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I hate the whole "they lost by 4 to a good team" comments. We were destroyed. The only reason we lost by 4 and could of won is because the referees were kind enough to give us 2 TDs.

RoanokeFan
11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
If there was a Giants Message Board in the 70's and 80's and 90's Id bet my mortgage on the fact fans would still gripe and moan just like they do now. Its part of sport. Deep deeep down we are all optimists and root like hell for the Gmen on gameday. Win or lose most of us keep the faith :) . It's just fun to ***** and moan.

NOT!

Mercury
11-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I really get what the OP is saying. I've watched some really bad Giants teams in my years as a fan. When I did, I didn't have expectations of success.

However, it's different now. I don't expect my team to play that bad. And so, I am disappointed when they do.

jakegibbs
11-08-2012, 10:21 AM

Too many mistakes. If they make no mental mistakes & still get beat it goes down a lot easier than when they make mental mistakes & lose. It's that simple for me anyway. Make no mental mistakes & I won't complain win or lose.

GameTime
11-08-2012, 10:48 AM

glad you have fun watching the games...
but in all honesty why would enjoy a game that the Giants stunk at on all sides of the ball?? Even when they were up 20-10 they were be outplayed. They are 6-3 and thats great but maybe you havent noticed they have been playing worse each week for the last 3 weeks. Watching the games for an intense fan goes way beyond enjoyment of the sport. Glad you dont get agita from games like last week but I do.....

Hessian
11-09-2012, 09:09 PM
And this is different from what season in recent memory to you? Please enlighten me. Enjoy the game.

Hessian
11-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I think the fact of the matter or matter of fact is the same. The Gmen play the same mid-season as they have forever. If we win this one and LMFAO the next after a bye, we're ahead of the curve. My whole point to this thread was... smile and enjoy the game.

Hessian
11-09-2012, 09:22 PM
yes , a 6-3 record with a 2 game lead on the rest of the division
looks pretty good on the surface.
but this team has been winning ugly and steadily declining for a month.
we have gone from "winning ugly" to "losing uglier".
it's not the record....it's the obvious month-long downward spiral of the offense.

and i'm not saying the defense is faultless .....but we already know our defense blows.
but even though they can't force a punt , they do get a lot of turnovers and create
good field position and opportunities that our offense does not take advantage of.

it's not the 6-3 record , it's the constant 3 and outs that are leaving us in fear of 6-10.
Your posts are solid, at least everyone that I have read. Here's the thing, NFL teams are not static, that said I believe the Gmen can reconcile their problems. They've done it in the past and I'm not gonna bet against that.

JJC7301
11-09-2012, 11:30 PM
It was an ugly loss because of the mauling on the ground. And yes, the Steelers are good and professional, but the Giants are still a better team.

That game last week made me doubt this team yet again.

bearbryant
11-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Unfortunately, I've had the same reaction about this squad after watching one of the poorest games the Giants have played in a while, JJC. But reading TC's presser about this weeks preparation for the Cincy game has once again given me Big Blue Faith for them putting the screws to Cincy for the first time in an away game.

If the loss last week brought about a reinvigerated football team ready to kick butt than so be it. Go Giants!!!