PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin Offers Helping Hand To Eli

RoanokeFan
11-08-2012, 09:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...g-helping-hand (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8604976/tom-coughlin-new-york-giants-offers-eli-manning-helping-hand)

Excerpt: "There are times when Giants head coach Tom Coughlin strides to the podium on Wednesdays and the words that come booming out of his mouth to kick off the next game week sound suspiciously like the basic talking points he plans to give his team. He lays out the opponent the Giants are facing, he mentions whatever lingering predicaments their last game exposed, then he gets into how they can address all of it. And as odd as it seems to say this about a man who has won two Super Bowls, the leadership that Coughlin shows in moments like this is perhaps the most underrated part of what he does.

Coughlin is a coach in the best, most complete sense of the word. Part of the job description is that the good ones sense it's time to show the way in times like this.

The first-place Giants are a perfectly respectable 6-3 heading into Sunday's game at Cincinnati. But in the wake of last Sunday's stinging loss to Pittsburgh, the latest brushfire that Coughlin has to stamp out actually feels more like a bonfire: His quarterback, Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning), has been struggling the past three games.

What to do about it is the question.And Coughlin blinked and looked unabashedly surprised Wednesday when he was asked if Manning has become so good he would just let Manning "fix himself."

"Well, no," Coughlin answered.

That's not how Coughlin looks at it at all.

If you haven't noticed, one of the hallmarks of Coughlin's Giants teams is players develop here. They just do. Players seem to get better after they get to Coughlin's Giants, and it doesn't matter if they're undrafted free agents or the No. 1 overall pick in the draft like Manning was, a freakish but raw talent like Jason Pierre-Paul (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13256/jason-pierre-paul) or a seven-time castoff like backup running back Andre Brown (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12490/andre-brown), one of this season's revelations. The common thread is players just seem to rise closer to the players they're supposed to be under Coughlin and his staff. And the answer he gave Wednesday about how he's handling Manning's slump was a little insight into why." Read more...

stormblue
11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
what is strangely absent here in this situation is the total lack of
mention by either Eli or TC about Gilbride's help or input or responsibilty
or concern or anything related to the situation.
i would think this should be Eli and KG.

we have Eli and TC working on it and Gilbride is.... ?.....

maybe this is all on Eli and KG is just mr clipboard.

Toadofsteel
11-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I like seeing that drill that Eli mentioned, where they practice against the first string defense. As long as everyone stays on point and focuses on fundamentals, that can only help improve both the offense and defense.

giantscolombia
11-08-2012, 09:21 AM

BRO!! i agree with you completely!!!

all i've read about is Eli and Coughlin.... how come Gil's brides name has not been dropped?

is he not part of this practice? does he not care?

in a way it leads me to believe that he is a good OC and its just Eli and the receivers that have been a little off....

RoanokeFan
11-08-2012, 09:24 AM

All you need to do is see who Eli talks to when he comes off the field. It's always Gilbride. Coughlin is not Inserting himself between Eli and Gilbride he's doing what he needs to do to help Eli return to form.

brad
11-08-2012, 09:27 AM
"You make a first down and you'll have a chance to get some rhythm, get some continuity, get into your play calling. And when you don't have first downs, it's like this, OK? -- like throwing darts at a board."

This...

stormblue
11-08-2012, 09:35 AM
ok , then all Eli had to do was ask KG to practice the tree with real DB's.
i'm sure he would have obliged

my bad.......i didn't realize that this was just all news-press fodder
to show that TC is on top of things.
just window-dressing ....i should have known.

Flip Empty
11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
"Well, everything we have listed to call is to make a first down. And every one is a touchdown by the way, too."
He was probably joking (at least partly), but that does seem to be a problem - no short game.

RagTime Blue
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I might be in the minority here, but it just seems like an execution problem for this offense. And maybe a personnel problem. I have no problem with the play calling.

Why would you want this team to run it on 3rd and 2 if we can't run the ball at all?

GameTime
11-08-2012, 10:34 AM

TC mentions getting 1st downs to get rythem going. That includes the entire offense which includes Glibride...

you guys disect too much stuff...
look at the big picture....

stormblue
11-08-2012, 10:36 AM
I might be in the minority here, but it just seems like an execution problem for this offense. And maybe a personnel problem. I have no problem with the play calling.

Why would you want this team to run it on 3rd and 2 if we can't run the ball at all?

i wouldn't......but a 4 yard pass to move the chains instead of a 40 yard incompletion
might be worth considering.

GMENAGAIN
11-08-2012, 10:46 AM
How could TC possibly help? He is a stubborn old idiot that doesn't know what he is doing and needs to be fired.

brad
11-08-2012, 10:47 AM

The age old execution vs coaching/play calling... usually its not a one or the other, but a combination of the two. I find it hard to believe that 11 guys completely forgot how to execute for 4 weeks... more likely they are in situations that creates a thin line between perfect execution and failure.

Let's assume it is all execution, and that any play called should, in theory work, regardless of what the play is. You are essentially saying that the coaches are irrelevant. Coughlin isn't a good coach, he just had players that executed enough to win 2 SBs for him. We could fire him today, hire me as the HC and save a ton of money for the team.

There will always be 11 guys on the other side of the ball, and they too intend to execute. Assuming perfect execution from the offense and perfect execution from the defense, the offense will fail the majority of the time. Unless... the offense calls a play that exploits a weakness in whatever defensive play is called. This is part of the chess match that is so important in football. It is what makes the difference between good teams and great teams. This, in part, is what has been lacking lately. Yes the players must execute, but the play called can make execution that much easier.

brad
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
How could TC possibly help? He is a stubborn old idiot that doesn't know what he is doing and needs to be fired.

Should this be red? Seriously? Didn't the Giants just win the SB last year? Coughlin is the best coach the Giants have had in a very long time.. assuming you were a fan prior to the last two SBs, I can only guess that you forget the bad years.

stormblue
11-08-2012, 10:59 AM
The age old execution vs coaching/play calling... usually its not a one or the other, but a combination of the two. I find it hard to believe that 11 guys completely forgot how to execute for 4 weeks... more likely they are in situations that creates a thin line between perfect execution and failure.

Let's assume it is all execution, and that any play called should, in theory work, regardless of what the play is. You are essentially saying that the coaches are irrelevant. Coughlin isn't a good coach, he just had players that executed enough to win 2 SBs for him. We could fire him today, hire me as the HC and save a ton of money for the team.

There will always be 11 guys on the other side of the ball, and they too intend to execute. Assuming perfect execution from the offense and perfect execution from the defense, the offense will fail the majority of the time. Unless... the offense calls a play that exploits a weakness in whatever defensive play is called. This is part of the chess match that is so important in football. It is what makes the difference between good teams and great teams. This, in part, is what has been lacking lately. Yes the players must execute, but the play called can make execution that much easier.

well said....but unfortunately it will it be misinterpreted as TC bashing.
wait for it....

brad
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
well said....but unfortunately it will it be misinterpreted as TC bashing.
wait for it....

Thank you... Unfortunately, your probably right... for some it is a one or the other argument, and it usually isn't that simple. I make the same argument against those that bash TC or KG... it's not just play calling or just execution, it is both.

RagTime Blue
11-08-2012, 11:05 AM

I see your point. But to me it just seemed like NOTHING worked vs. Pitt (and Dallas and Wash to a lesser extent). The receivers and Eli are in different time zones and every handoff seemed to run into a wall of opponents.

So it may very well have been a coaching problem (in getting guys prepared), but I don't see the play-calling thing as being the most significant.

Then again, I'm just a fan, and I reserve the right to be wrong without penalty.

RoanokeFan
11-08-2012, 12:02 PM

You are right, and the fix, at least in theory, is already in place. Eli gets to make the final call as he's reading the defense.

TheBookOfEli
11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Should this be red? Seriously? Didn't the Giants just win the SB last year? Coughlin is the best coach the Giants have had in a very long time.. assuming you were a fan prior to the last two SBs, I can only guess that you forget the bad years.

He was being sarcastic.