PDA

View Full Version : a look at our defense stats

ryan12
11-08-2012, 02:27 PM
we are #2 in nfl in turnovers 2 behind chicago tied for 3rd in sacks. we are 24th in rush defense and 30th in pass defense and we are 29th in yards against and 25th in yards allowed per game. you would think being 2nd in nfl in takeaways and 3rd in sacks we would be higher then 24th and 30th. whats the problem why are we giving up so many yards

Eliscruzzz
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
That is pretty freakin terrible. For once I just want a top 5 defense.

Buddy333
11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Stats are fun.

Ruttiger711
11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Thats exactly what I would expect. The defense, while capable of the occasional big play and turnover gets driven on easily the other 95% of the time they are on the field.

Before people say its because they're tired from the offense not producing, this D gets driven on EARLY, often.

YATittle1962
11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
4 games giving up 140+ yards on the ground

this sets up a domino affect

stop the run and the pass will follow

TheAnalyst
11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Bend don't break, read and react, ect. We haven't had a bunch of points dumped on us, but we give up the yards.

Also, the offense needs to start cooking or the defense is on the field more and getting more yards against them.

Buddy333
11-08-2012, 02:52 PM
The defense has given up huge scoring plays in almost all their games.

TheAnalyst
11-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh, and another defensive stat, we are 3rd in the NFL in turnovers since 2004, when TC joined the club. Pats have 2 more and the Bears have 32 more.

Rudyy
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Bend but don't break defense pisses me off.

Toadofsteel
11-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Bend but don't break defense pisses me off.

Me too.

The sad thing is it would work if our offense could put on a drive worth a damn...

Rudyy
11-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Me too.

The sad thing is it would work if our offense could put on a drive worth a damn...That too. The reason why it's so annoying id because it KILLS time of possession, therefore our offense has to always hurry up and perform miracles since the defense can't/won't stop anyone.

ryan12
11-08-2012, 03:09 PM
stop the bend dont break bull**** and play some ****ing defense

TheEnigma
11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't think there's enough talent on all levels of the defense to play a smothering/shut down style like the 49ers, Bears, or Steelers. Whether you think Boley or Chase is our best LB, they don't even compare to some dudes on other teams. There isn't enough talent and experience throughout our CBs to have a top pass defense and while KP is great at coverage and SB is great at generating turnovers, it's sort of countered with how bad Rolle is when he does anything that isn't stopping the run. I'm always amused when opposing fans say the Giants team is all Defense when we are just as bad as the Patriots or Packers were last year in terms of letting teams move the ball down our throats.

TheAnalyst
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't think there's enough talent on all levels of the defense to play a smothering/shut down style like the 49ers, Bears, or Steelers. Whether you think Boley or Chase is our best LB, they don't even compare to some dudes on other teams. There isn't enough talent and experience throughout our CBs to have a top pass defense and while KP is great at coverage and SB is great at generating turnovers, it's sort of countered with how bad Rolle is when he does anything that isn't stopping the run. I'm always amused when opposing fans say the Giants team is all Defense when we are just as bad as the Patriots or Packers were last year in terms of letting teams move the ball down our throats.

I disagree. The talent is there. The coaching isn't. If somehow Spags came back here, you sould see this. Did you see him blitzing like a madman vs the Eagles?

njg85m
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't see how anybody here is surprised by those stats.
I mean when our D takes the field it's usually

1.) Play for strip sack first
2.) Play for INT second
3.) Give up huge chunk of yardage on one play

We have been able to win by letting #3 happen numerous times throughout the game as long as we sprinkle in #1 and #2 here and there. It's really just a Vegas defense.

It's exciting to see, but at some point we have to wonder how much even worse this defense would truly be if they had to rely on COVERAGE first and pressure second...

TheEnigma
11-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I disagree. The talent is there. The coaching isn't. If somehow Spags came back here, you sould see this. Did you see him blitzing like a madman vs the Eagles?

That's because Vick is one of the worst QBs against the blitz. PF has always been a secondary guy so it shouldn't be so surprising to people that he favors schemes that focus more on coverage. Where is the talent in the middle of the field with the LBing unit? Prince has been the only CB I've felt confident in this season and while Webster did come off a really good game against the Steelers, I need to see more before I'm convinced he's back. Plus blitzing Big Ben on a frequent basis would of been a bad gameplan against a QB like that.

Buddy333
11-08-2012, 03:32 PM
The thing about the turnovers is that a lot of them seem to be poor play by the offense rather than great defense. So that covers up a little of how bad the Giants defense really is. They are bad. Lets not sugar coat it. At least to date, they are just bad.

Cloud57
11-08-2012, 03:42 PM
The thing about the turnovers is that a lot of them seem to be poor play by the offense rather than great defense. So that covers up a little of how bad the Giants defense really is. They are bad. Lets not sugar coat it. At least to date, they are just bad. The defense is bad but they are about the same as they were last year. The strenght of this team is the offense so if the offense is bad that will hurt the team more.

Ruttiger711
11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
The defense is bad but they are about the same as they were last year. The strenght of this team is the offense so if the offense is bad that will hurt the team more.

I definitely agree with this, last year the defense opened up the Seattle game with giving up a 14 play and then 11 play drive or something like that. That was the "flop-gate" game.

To the defense's credit they certainly improved as the season went on.