PDA

View Full Version : Does Eli have arm fatigue?

joemorrisforprez
11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
http://snygiants.com/eli-manning/is-eli-suffering-from-arm-fatigue/

.......NFL Films Executive Director Greg Cosell, who specializes in breaking down quarterback footage, appeared on ESPN Radio with Colin Cowherd this morning and reluctantly confirmed what some Giant fans have been suspecting:

"This may shock a few people, but I get a sense of watching the film that his arm might be a little tired. I don’t think the ball’s been coming out quite as well, particularly on the intermediate and deeper throws…Eli has a big arm. I just think that his arm might be a little tired. He’s not throwing with the same velocity, he’s not driving the ball down the field the way he has in his career."

Chris Christie
11-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Could be the late bye week, he will be fine. Maybe he does need some rest. Look at the bright side we are in full control of first place, if Eli is going to slump thank god it's happening while the rest of the east is losing. He will get hot at the right time you will see. He's proven himself to do just that.

Rusty192
11-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't get this. He's not even that old in QB yrs. Why would his arm be tired?

Maybe he hurt it lifting too many Lombardi trophies I don't know!

Flip Empty
11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Same number of attempts as Romo and Brady. Why would he be tired?

joemorrisforprez
11-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Not sure if I buy the story either.....maybe it's a mechanical thing that can be worked out.

zimonami
11-08-2012, 10:35 PM
There are a lot of reasons for what might appear to be a tired arm, and it has nothing to do with number of attempts.
A few weeks ago Eli took a hit and his right shoulder was driven into the turf.
I think he has a sore shoulder from that hit.
It will get better.

YATittle1962
11-08-2012, 10:38 PM
There are a lot of reasons for what might appear to be a tired arm, and it has nothing to do with number of attempts.
It will get better.

I remember that hit Zim

it looked like something that might result in some lingering effects for sure

Flip Empty
11-08-2012, 10:45 PM
It will get better.
True. I actually wondered if he could be concealing an injury.

Cloud57
11-08-2012, 11:43 PM
he seems to have mental fatigue

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 04:28 AM
he seems to have mental fatigueYeah you is right. I agree.

Captain Chaos
11-09-2012, 04:56 AM
OK all the more reason to set up some short stuff

zimonami
11-09-2012, 12:52 PM
OK all the more reason to set up some short stuff
They keep throwing the long stuff, but never run short routes. I keep thinking they'll throw some 7-8 yard slants, but we never do Forget about the fact that teams that beat us do it over the middle... the short 7-8 yard passes, and 14-17 yards over the middle. We threw a short slant to Cruz last week in the first Qtr., and that was also the last time
A running back going out for a pass? Fuggetaboutit
I think the mental fatique that some speculate is frustration by Eli.
They need to discuss plays to run on the sideline, then leave the game entirely to him. Only send in an occasional play. Let Eli run the 2 minute/no huddle offense any time he decides. Geez, there are few better than him at it.
I think Eli is finally being frustrated by the handcuffs. Once the game begins, Gilbride stfu and take a seat and wait for Eli to come to him when he's not on the field.
Just do it one game... what have they got to lose? (Oh, an offensive Coordinator?)

yo-ho
11-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't know what you guys have been watching the past however many years it's been, but Eli never really throws the ball on a rope. Phil Simms in the beginning of his career used to throw so hard his receivers would drop it. In the beginning of Eli's career it was because he was always throwing off of his back foot. More recently he has been stepping into his throws, but he still doesn't throw the ball with a lot of zip most of the time. I don't think it's a function of his arm strength though, I just think he intentionally throws a more catchable ball with a degree of touch on it rather than firing it. When you fire it, you have to be much more accurate because the fight time is shorter. He tends to let his receivers make a play on the ball. Unfortunately sometimes the defense makes a play on it as well.

keyofgmen
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
They keep throwing the long stuff, but never run short routes. I keep thinking they'll throw some 7-8 yard slants, but we never do Forget about the fact that teams that beat us do it over the middle... the short 7-8 yard passes, and 14-17 yards over the middle. We threw a short slant to Cruz last week in the first Qtr., and that was also the last time
A running back going out for a pass? Fuggetaboutit
I think the mental fatique that some speculate is frustration by Eli.
They need to discuss plays to run on the sideline, then leave the game entirely to him. Only send in an occasional play. Let Eli run the 2 minute/no huddle offense any time he decides. Geez, there are few better than him at it.
I think Eli is finally being frustrated by the handcuffs. Once the game begins, Gilbride stfu and take a seat and wait for Eli to come to him when he's not on the field.
Just do it one game... what have they got to lose? (Oh, an offensive Coordinator?)

It would be funny to see what would happen if Eli, on his own, did this. Just said... screw-it.... I'm running this show...ignored the play call from sideline and just did what he wanted. (Of course he would be limited by player package). Would TC and KG explode? or just SU and watch? LOL

bigblue58
11-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Nah...its not a tired arm. I read in the paper where Eli said that the coaches havent been running as many 7 on 7 drills ...where our receivers go up against our DB's, and that when Coughlin asked Eli what he could do to help him, Eli asked Coughlin if they could make those drills a priority in practice,..... as Eli relied on those drills to get the timing down on routes.
So who knows..that might be what the problem has been so maybe now they can fix the passing game and get back to where they were.
All this time i've been asking the question...."what has happened to the tight passing game we had" and never heard anyone on the giants suggest anything specific....until I read that, and I said A HA....finally a clue to something specific that can be addressed and fixed!

Tmurda1984
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Any fan believing in this excuse needs to jump after a bridge. This is nothing but a victim stance, and this team loves to take a victim stance when their backs are against the wall.

moosedrool
11-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Greg Cosell isn't right 100% of the time. Last year he pretty much said CJ Spiller wasn't very good after his first start. Spiller went off the remainder of the year and if you ever seen Spiller play you know that he is a really good RB. Cosell near the end of the year changed his opinion of Spiller but his first "analysis" was off the mark.

CowboysSuck
11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Does Eli have fat butt syndrome? ...no thats Boothe

Does Eli have hot wife syndrome? ...no thats. wait....that is him!

Does Eli have "arm fatigue"? ... really boss? The man can lift a school bus, stop with the non-sense

jomo
11-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Pretty dumb all things considered.

Astorian
11-09-2012, 08:46 PM
For several weeks his passes have been floating, wobbling, lacking zip, and slightly off the mark. Whether or not that's due to 'arm fatigue', something is wrong. The mechanics seem a little off -- his motion doesn't look as fluid and natural as it used to. His follow-through seems to be shortened and tentative.

JJC7301
11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Probably just typical Giants fatigue. They always stink this time of the year.

bearbryant
11-10-2012, 12:44 AM
I don't want to say anything abouit the second half of the season!!!

eLi MusT gO dEEp
11-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Anyone who thinks so needs to bow out gracefully.

nygfanmaybe
11-10-2012, 07:10 AM
For several weeks his passes have been floating, wobbling, lacking zip, and slightly off the mark. Whether or not that's due to 'arm fatigue', something is wrong. The mechanics seem a little off -- his motion doesn't look as fluid and natural as it used to. His follow-through seems to be shortened and tentative.

It's funny how having a 280 pound man barreling toward you can make you shorten your follow-through...throw off your back foot. I can assure you that there has never been an occasion that Eli didn't step into a throw just because he "didn't feel like it".

RoanokeFan
11-10-2012, 07:34 AM
If Eli had never had accuracy issues before, I might be able to buy into this. Someone has pointed to a hit he took and that would more likely be the casue of any issues he might be having now. The media heads need to keep our attention and will offer up all sorts of hypotheticals. That Cossell put his head together with Jaworski on this makes me think it's just Jaws pulling on the Giants' collective strings.

Astorian
11-10-2012, 08:31 AM
It's funny how having a 280 pound man barreling toward you can make you shorten your follow-through...throw off your back foot. I can assure you that there has never been an occasion that Eli didn't step into a throw just because he "didn't feel like it".

I never said he "didn't feel like it". I said his motion is not as fluid as it used to be and his follow-through is tentative. If he were a baseball pitcher these would immediately be considered indications of some kind of arm trouble. Others have mentioned that he took a bad hit to the shoulder a few weeks ago. That might very well be the root of the problem.

jakegibbs
11-10-2012, 09:58 AM

There is nothing wrong with Eli's arm that WRs beating press coverage can't cure. Too many times his WR's are covered up with no window to deliver the ball through. I thought Wilson was going to be the dump off player that the Giants desperately need at this time. Someone that can take a 5 yd dump off pass & take it down the field for huge chuncks of yardage. Once that starts happening they opponents will have to respect that & go back to more zone coverage which our WR's thrive in.

Dump it off the Wilson but 1st he has to be in the game. He's a #1 RB Draft pic for God's sake let him play to see if he's a bust or not please.

brad
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
There is nothing wrong with Eli's arm that WRs beating press coverage can't cure. Too many times his WR's are covered up with no window to deliver the ball through. I thought Wilson was going to be the dump off player that the Giants desperately need at this time. Someone that can take a 5 yd dump off pass & take it down the field for huge chuncks of yardage. Once that starts happening they opponents will have to respect that & go back to more zone coverage which our WR's thrive in.

Dump it off the Wilson but 1st he has to be in the game. He's a #1 RB Draft pic for God's sake let him play to see if he's a bust or not please.

I agree there is nothing wrong with Eli's arm, but I don't think the passing game issues are all on the receivers. I think we can all point to some plays where receivers didn't get open or ran the wrong route, but I there has also been plays where Eli overthrew, missed the open receiver or made a mind-boggling decision. Eli is no more infallible than the other 10 guys on the field... he is human.

I too would like to see Wilson get more time, but the fact is that this team has produced offensively without him before. He might provide a spark, the issues run deeper than simply replacing one guy with another. However, if I was going to pick one guy to replace it would be DD.

One thing I think we both agree on is that the Giants need to look to the check down receivers more... hit the TE in short routes and send the RBs out into the flat for quick 5 yard passes. That is going to open up bigger plays downfield as well as the running game. And that will lead to more first downs... which is where the offensive focus should be.

onlineprof
11-10-2012, 10:37 AM
While I do agree that the WRs seem to have a very hard time getting free, I am curious to know if teams that have a very late bye experience this type of mini-slump? First of all, not really even a mini-slump, more of a visible erosion of some skills that were much crisper weeks ago. Other teams have already had their week off and can let their bodies rest, but the Giants still have one week to go.

jakegibbs
11-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I agree there is nothing wrong with Eli's arm, but I don't think the passing game issues are all on the receivers. I think we can all point to some plays where receivers didn't get open or ran the wrong route, but I there has also been plays where Eli overthrew, missed the open receiver or made a mind-boggling decision. Eli is no more infallible than the other 10 guys on the field... he is human.

I too would like to see Wilson get more time, but the fact is that this team has produced offensively without him before. He might provide a spark, the issues run deeper than simply replacing one guy with another. However, if I was going to pick one guy to replace it would be DD.

One thing I think we both agree on is that the Giants need to look to the check down receivers more... hit the TE in short routes and send the RBs out into the flat for quick 5 yard passes. That is going to open up bigger plays downfield as well as the running game. And that will lead to more first downs... which is where the offensive focus should be.

With GB, NO, & ATL on the horizon after the bye they best come up with an offensive game plan that can easily put up 40 points per game down the stretch or hold on to your seats it could be a pressure cooker getting to the playoffs. Those teams can Light it Up on the offensive side of the ball.

Detroit Lions (http://boards.giants.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET)

32:15

New Orleans Saints (http://boards.giants.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO)

26:50

Dallas Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL)

31:52

Washington Redskins (http://boards.giants.com/teams/washingtonredskins/profile?team=WAS)

30:59

+7

Atlanta Falcons (http://boards.giants.com/teams/atlantafalcons/profile?team=ATL)

31:38

+10

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://boards.giants.com/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB)

30:37

+9

Philadelphia Eagles (http://boards.giants.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI)

31:11

New York Giants (http://boards.giants.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)

29:57

+14

San Francisco 49ers (http://boards.giants.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF)

31:40

+3

Green Bay Packers (http://boards.giants.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB)

30:05

+