PDA

View Full Version : Gilbride: No Huddle May Be Cure For Offensive Woes

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 07:50 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...Nr9kY4oe3PHD6K (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/gilbride_no_huddle_may_be_cure_for_B3asAYUTNr9kY4o e3PHD6K)

Excerpt: "One way Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride might resuscitate his slumping unit Sunday is by employing a no-huddle, two-minute offense.

Gilbride said when you’re trying to remedy a unit’s woes, you typically “go back to the things that are your core.” He then pointed out that historically the Giants’ offense has performed well in the no-huddle and revealed it’s “absolutely” under consideration to be used.

“You don’t want me to tip my hand now, do you?” Gilbride said.

The primary advantage of the no-huddle offense is utilizing a quicker tempo and perhaps allowing your offense to get into rhythm while also making it more difficult for the defense to sub players in and out.

Gilbride said last Sunday, when the Giants took over with 4:02 to go in the game, trailing the Steelers 24-20, they went to the two-minute offense — but they also went three-and-out, after two incompletions and a sack.

“Doesn’t always work,” Gilbride said. “But it has been something we’ve been very good at, and hopefully we’re going to recover and get back to that.”

The struggling Giants would like to get back to what they’ve been for the last year and a half, which has been a superb offensive outfit. Last year they averaged 24.6 points per game (ninth-best in the NFL), then upped it to 25.5 points in the playoffs. This year the Giants are averaging 28.2 points (sixth-best), highlighted by 41-point explosions versus both the Buccaneers and Browns and a 36-point performance against the Panthers.

But the last two weeks, the offense scored just 22 points against the Cowboys and 13 against the Steelers, averaging only 17.5 in the two-game spurt." Read more...

jakegibbs
11-09-2012, 07:59 AM
I think that the no-huddle wouldn't hurt but until they start making yardage on 1st & 2nd down no-huddle or huddle don't expect different results. I think we're gonna see a lot more of a three headed tandom at the RB position of Wilson & Brown + Bradshaw this Sunday. That's the 1st change I would make. Find out who's hot early & then feed the hot hand the ball. They have to get the running game on track & the passing attack will quickly turn around.

bigblue58
11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
HALLELUJAH!!!!! The man has finally seen the light...........But I'll still only believe it when I see it!

nygfanmaybe
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I think it would help if for no other reason than to give more time at the LOS and not have the opposition knowing when the snap is coming. Far too often the play clock is winding down and they know that he is going to have to snap it in the next couple of seconds. I hate that.

Toadofsteel
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/9/95030/2393597-453px-You_dont_say.png

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 08:27 AM
No matter what offense you use, you can still have three and outs.

brad
11-09-2012, 08:29 AM
No matter what offense you use, you can still have three and outs.

So... what your saying is no changes should be made?

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 08:39 AM
HALLELUJAH!!!!! The man has finally seen the light...........But I'll still only believe it when I see it!

It's easy for us to say "use the no huddle" when we don't catch the flack if it doesn't help. There are a couple of things about the no huddle that can cause it to backfire. First, obviously is personnel. It''s true the defense can't make substitution, but it's also true we will be limited to the plays OUR guys can execute. The second issue is Eli. He takes a lot of time to read defenses and make adjustments at the LOS. You take that ability away from him with the no huddle.

FBomb
11-09-2012, 08:40 AM
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Gimaniac
11-09-2012, 08:44 AM
It's easy for us to say "use the no huddle" when we don't catch the flack if it doesn't help. There are a couple of things about the no huddle that can cause it to backfire. First, obviously is personnel. It''s true the defense can't make substitution, but it's also true we will be limited to the plays OUR guys can execute. The second issue is Eli. He takes a lot of time to read defenses and make adjustments at the LOS. You take that ability away from him with the no huddle.

He can still read at the line, it's no huddle, not hurry up.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
He can still read at the line, it's no huddle, not hurry up.

Yes, but if you use the whole play clock you may as well just play football

FBomb
11-09-2012, 08:52 AM
We're not talking about FULL TIME...we're talking about changes that can help spark the offense. Not to mention, we've beed pretty successful when we used it.

TheAnalyst
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Why even let the Bengals know we are thinking about it. Keep a lid on it KG! Then surprise all of us on Sunday!

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 08:56 AM
We're not talking about FULL TIME...we're talking about changes that can help spark the offense. Not to mention, we've been pretty successful when we used it.

If they can sustain drives using it, great. But the problems we see aren't that easily fixed, I'm afraid. That's not going to improve blocking, or get Eli in synch with his receivers as examples. I'm for whatever works but we are having trouble with the fundamentals on both sides of the ball.

FBomb
11-09-2012, 08:58 AM
If they can sustain drives using it, great. But the problems we see aren't that easily fixed, I'm afraid. That's not going to improve blocking, or get Eli in synch with his receivers as examples. I'm for whatever works but we are having trouble with the fundamentals on both sides of the ball.

Fundementals are fixed in practice. If you can't get the fundementals fixed then NOTHING is going to work. Reading your news feeds tells me that fundementals is EXACTLY what they have been working on......at least on offense.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Fundementals are fixed in practice. If you can't get the fundementals fixed then NOTHING is going to work. Reading your news feeds tells me that fundementals is EXACTLY what they have been working on......at least on offense.

True, we'll see if that helps on Sunday for the offense. But tackling is a problem and the prohibtion against contact drills makes it hard to replicate real game scenarios

FBomb
11-09-2012, 09:02 AM
True, we'll see if that helps on Sunday

God I hope so. Our offense has been mind numbingly awful the last 3 games.

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 09:02 AM
So... what your saying is no changes should be made?What I;ve said shows nothing of what you are asking me.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 09:03 AM
God I hope so. Our offense has been mind numbingly awful the last 3 games.

I tell myself we have already witnessed the "swoon" but that we are a good enough TEAM that it hasn't resulted in losing a string of games :o

FBomb
11-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I tell myself we have already witnessed the "swoon" but that we are a good enough TEAM that it hasn't resulted in losing a string of games :o

I like that....I'm taking THAT approach!! I will give you full credit,:)

egyptian420
11-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Lol people on this forum will be ecstatic when they see this

FBomb
11-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Lol people on this forum will be ecstatic when they see this

"It's only stupid if it doesn't work"

stormblue
11-09-2012, 09:06 AM
True, we'll see if that helps on Sunday for the offense. But tackling is a problem and the prohibtion against contact drills makes it hard to replicate real game scenarios

good point.....but all 32 teams have the same practice rules.....
why is it that we are one of the poorer tackling teams. i mean we seriously suck.
we made Redman look like Earl Campbell.

Gimaniac
11-09-2012, 09:06 AM

You're missing the point. No huddle is the keep the defense from subbing.

FBomb
11-09-2012, 09:07 AM
why is it that we are one of the poorer tackling teams. i mean we seriously suck.

I see A LOT of going after the ball rather than tackling.

BlueJayC
11-09-2012, 09:08 AM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/jasonjcollins/GiantsSignature3-1.jpg

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I like that....I'm taking THAT approach!! I will give you full credit,:)

+1

Think about it though, Eli has been off target for a few game (PLEASE NO HOMER INSULTS) and the defense has done just enough to keep us competitive, even in losses. The normally steady STs had a breakdown last week like we've not see this season. SO, there's the swoon and we go into the BYE with a win in Cincinnati

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 09:13 AM

I can identify problems all day long, now you want me to fix them too? :rolleyes:

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 09:13 AM
You're missing the point. No huddle is the keep the defense from subbing.

I understand the point, I am saying it works both ways.

FBomb
11-09-2012, 09:15 AM
+1

Think about it though, Eli has been off target for a few game (PLEASE NO HOMER INSULTS) and the defense has done just enough to keep us competitive, even in losses. The normally steady STs had a breakdown last week like we've not see this season. SO, there's the swoon and we go into the BYE with a win in Cincinnati

I'd like to see them totally dominate the Bangles (make their Monday manic)....and go in for the bye.

BlueJayC
11-09-2012, 09:15 AM
I think the most important factor in going no huddle....is putting Eli in the gun with either a one back or no back set......allows him to pre-scan the field and gives him an extra second or so......KG points out it didn't work last week but failed to mention he sent them out in an I-formation set.....was livid when I saw them trot onto the field in that formation......go 4-5 wide in the gun and Ei will find the mismatches.....

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd like to see them totally dominate the Bangles (make their Monday manic)....and go in for the bye.

That's exactly right. It's doesn't have to be a blow out, but an all phases domination heading into the BYE for momentum and to set the tone for the rest of the season

Flip Empty
11-09-2012, 09:37 AM
go 4-5 wide in the gun and Ei will find the mismatches.....
For some reason they prefer to do that on the opponent's 10 yard line

CowboysSuck
11-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Is the no-huddle not football? tennis? badmitten?

NYGabriel
11-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Just do something that doesn't leave Eli 'third and long' almost every series.

Gimaniac
11-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Is the no-huddle not football? tennis? badmitten?

Very much football. No need to do it all the time, but to catch the opponent off-guard is certainly worth it. Especially since it doesn't involve a lot of risk.

GameTime
11-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I wish they would do some series with no huddle and some without. Even change it up on during a drive. Why not???

Flip Empty
11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I wish they would do some series with no huddle and some without. Even change it up on during a drive. Why not???
I think they like to keep it for when they really need it

Cloud57
11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
how about also playng AB2 and DW

SackingMyths
11-09-2012, 10:35 AM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/9/95030/2393597-453px-You_dont_say.png

My sentiments exactly

Rudyy
11-09-2012, 10:41 AM
For some reason they prefer to do that on the opponent's 10 yard lineLOL

GameTime
11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I think they like to keep it for when they really need it

when is that??...when its obvious they have to use it in the endof 4th quarter down by 4?? Every team knows they will use it then.....

stormblue
11-09-2012, 12:27 PM
no huddle is ok to stop the defensive substitution ......
but they are not winded after 3 and out.

another thing we mismanage is the playclock...
Eli takes his sweet-*** time and reading and re-reading the D's formation
thus giving the defense a half minute coffee break
between plays to catch their breath.

he needs to stop his "peyton" imitation 30 second audibles
and just run the play .

its either delay of game penalty or last second snap letting
the defense pin their ears back because when the playclock says one
they know you have to snap it.

almost every play "omaha-omaha" playclock alert !!

dezzzR
11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Good. I think Gilbrides read and react offense can be deadly in no huddle. BUT, our defense loves to stay on the field and are usually gased by the end of the 3rd and going 3 and out on offense in no huddle wont do the defense any favors. Its a double edged sword but Im excited.

Delicreep
11-09-2012, 01:26 PM

There is a lot of moving parts that KG needs to account for that none of us have to think about when we say go no huddle.

I will say this---both the somewhat questionable O-line AND the injured skill players need to be considered.

SackingMyths
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Eli's always operated way more efficiently out of the no-huddle. I don't think it's AT ALL a coincidence that once we're down and forced to use it, he and the offense "magically" start to move the ball down the field with relative ease, time-and-time again.

I'm not saying Elis not clutch...he obviously is. But there's more to it than that. Thoughtlessly saying that he just "flips a switch" when the game is on the line is dismissing the trend that every one of these comebacks scores are manufactured via the no-huddle.

So the question is: Why have the coaches always been so hesitant to use it other than out of sheer necessity? When the O is clearly struggling to move the ball during the game, why not break it out?

Are TC and KG THAT worried that DC's will "figure it out" and then we won't be able to use it when we need it?

stormblue
11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
There is a lot of moving parts that KG needs to account for that none of us have to think about when we say go no huddle.

I will say this---both the somewhat questionable O-line AND the injured skill players need to be considered.

they need more than consideration......they need benching.

gumby74
11-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Be careful what you ask for. Our defense can't stop anyone. If we only take 30seconds off the clock, other teams could very well put up 30 a game against us.

stormblue
11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Be careful what you ask for. Our defense can't stop anyone. If we only take 30seconds off the clock, other teams could very well put up 30 a game against us.

ROFL......nice !!

hungrrrry
11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Like everyone else...just that Gilbride being willing to change things up is good....I would not base our scheme on the no huddle but I would employ it in spurt depending on the opponent so as not to be predictable, because, as others have said...3 and out is 3 and out. If an opposing teams offense just burned 10 minutes on their last drive, our defense is going to be tired and depending on the offense to give them time to recover. That is a situation where injuries occurr and where the no huddle should not be used. Beat them up early with it, if you can get started, then have well thought out drives if a decent lead is established...break it out if there is a threat to the lead to hurt them mentally.

bigblue58
11-09-2012, 05:35 PM

You're right...not to mention the fact that the Giants may have done better to keep that to themselves, and not plaster it all over the newspapers to give the BenGirls advanced notice of the strategy???
It may be all moot anyway, because I just read in the paper today or yesterday, that Eli hasn't been able to get in 7 on 7 passing drills where our DB's cover the receivers, and he asked Coughlin to make time in practice for it because he said that he always relied on those drills to nail down the timing with his receivers. So who knows....if they get back to making it a priority in practice, maybe thats whats been wrong and can now get fixed!

OX1
11-09-2012, 06:03 PM

We've been spoiled, especially in the past year that our straight up passing game ranged from pretty good to outright killer
without having to use any kind of surprise. That no longer seems to be the case. That said, I think we need to try to
catch the other team offguard at least once in a while. The answer could be a range of things, but advertising you might use it was pretty
dumb of gilbride, IMO.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 06:51 PM
We've been spoiled, especially in the past year that our straight up passing game ranged from pretty good to outright killer
without having to use any kind of surprise. That no longer seems to be the case. That said, I think we need to try to
catch the other team offguard at least once in a while. The answer could be a range of things, but advertising you might use it was pretty
dumb of gilbride, IMO.

I was thinking about the element of surprise aspect you bring up. But, really, what's the difference? Eli and the offense come on to the field and run the first play called (audibled). That play is over and they get right to the in and call play # 2, etc. There is no surprise involved if you think about it. The intention is to prevent toe defense from substituting players so we can call plays where there is a personnel mis-match.