PDA

View Full Version : If Eli Knows the Playbook and what the plays suppose to do to Defenses

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Then Eli should call his own plays from begining to end and let KG just watch.

Flip Empty
11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Gilbride has said in the past that Eli isn't good at doing that.

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Gilbride has said in the past that Eli isn't good at doing that.How far back was that?

Flip Empty
11-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Last year, I think. It was a Vacchiano article or something. I'll see if I can find it.

GameTime
11-09-2012, 11:18 AM
so not only does he have to audible and call the protection but now he has to mentally catalog all the plays in his head too...
makes no sense. When he has plays at the line of scrimage it is limted to basically "this or that". He is not choosing from a whole play book each snap..

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 11:31 AM
so not only does he have to audible and call the protection but now he has to mentally catalog all the plays in his head too...
makes no sense. When he has plays at the line of scrimage it is limted to basically "this or that". He is not choosing from a whole play book each snap..In people brains have a memory bank so when we think of something, it comes out fast. Even when we don't remember something, it can be in our head but doesn't come out all the way. Eli gots to know the playbook. A lot of qbs call their own plays. Eli also have been in the same system for years to. He is not young anymore.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 11:54 AM

It's a team effort. The coaches have confidence in Eli to call the right play at the LOS. This Gilbride hatred is just mind numbing

EnragedYouth85
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
It's a team effort. The coaches have confidence in Eli to call the right play at the LOS. This Gilbride hatred is just mind numbing

I agree, Gilbride calls the play according to whatever gameplan they made with the film they watched. It's up to Eli to read the defense and change/keep the play as needed.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree, Gilbride calls the play according to whatever gameplan they made with the film they watched. It's up to Eli to read the defense and change/keep the play as needed.

I think a lot of our success since TC has been the Head Coach is the chemistry between Eli and Gilbride.

EnragedYouth85
11-09-2012, 12:15 PM
I think a lot of our success since TC has been the Head Coach is the chemistry between Eli and Gilbride.

I agree, having a consistant OC is key to success. They know what eachother are thinking on a consistant basis and usually make the right calls for the given situation. Sometimes they don't and I think that's what has been happening lately.

Cloud57
11-09-2012, 12:16 PM
He's not Peyton

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
He's not PeytonPeyton is not the only one who called his own plays though.

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 12:25 PM
It's a team effort. The coaches have confidence in Eli to call the right play at the LOS. This Gilbride hatred is just mind numbingBut all OC's aren't good play callers. Even as a team, there are some players who are able to help the team when they are playing but when they aren't, the team is nothing special like Eli for instance.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
He's not Peyton

So what?

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
But all OC's aren't good play callers. Even as a team, there are some players who are able to help the team when they are playing but when they aren't, the team is nothing special like Eli for instance.

All OC's aren't good play callers? That's supposed to be why they are OCs

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
All OC's aren't good play callers? That's supposed to be why they are OCsGiants had OC who didn't call plays. I forgot his name. There may have been others who didn't call the plays.

GameTime
11-09-2012, 12:50 PM
In people brains have a memory bank so when we think of something, it comes out fast. Even when we don't remember something, it can be in our head but doesn't come out all the way. Eli gots to know the playbook. A lot of qbs call their own plays. Eli also have been in the same system for years to. He is not young anymore.
I have never seen an NFL playbook but from what I hear its like a 6 inch book........
no way you can keep all that in your head.....

GameTime
11-09-2012, 12:50 PM
He's not Peyton
good thing or else we wouldn't have 2 SBs......:)

IamGiantsfan
11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I have never seen an NFL playbook but from what I hear its like a 6 inch book........
no way you can keep all that in your head.....
List of plays fits on a 2 sides piece of lamented paper though, so whats that, about 3 rows of 15 plays each? times that by 6 for each side 90 plays ? Give or take about 30 ?

Unless there are multiple sheets of paper they use on the side lines...

GameTime
11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
List of plays fits on a 2 sides piece of lamented paper though, so whats that, about 3 rows of 15 plays each? times that by 6 for each side 90 plays ? Give or take about 30 ?

my guess that would be for THAT particular game and game plan. They dont use the whole play book every game.....

IamGiantsfan
11-09-2012, 01:02 PM
my guess that would be for THAT particular game and game plan. They dont use the whole play book every game.....
Don't qb's also get a playbook list on their wrists? so he could use that to call the plays for the game

GameTime
11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't qb's also get a playbook list on their wrists? so he could use that to call the plays for the game

Eli doesnt use that....

BuffyBlueII
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
The Gillbride hatred is ridiculous and folks donít seem to complain when the players execute the plays properly. Granted, i do think that sometimes the plays are predictable but that is because we have been limited at the offensive line and running game for the last few years. Heck, we have not had a truly dominant offensive line since Eli Manning arrived here.

Eli Manning has a lot to do at the line of scrimmage with shifting the personnel around and reading the defenses. We donít need him to call his own plays too. However, I do think that if we were to script the first 20 plays and stick to them no matter what much like San Francisco 49ers used to do under Bill Walsh then we will be better offensively.

I bELIeve.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 01:16 PM

The play book that players get is pretty thick and includes diagrams. What you are referring to is the play call sheet for a particular game.

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Eli doesnt use that....Right but he can and maybe should do it. It is time for him to call his own plays if the offense wants to win or he might have to hold on to the ball and be a threat by buying time. I don;t want Eli to do that too much cause he is not like Rodgers, Ben and Rivers.

MikeyMike01
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Gilbride is a completely incompetent moron, but this suggestion isn't too bright.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Gilbride is a completely incompetent moron, but this suggestion isn't too bright.

And yet he's only had one losing season here and has taken his offense to two Super Bowls, which we won. I'll take that kind of incompetence.

GameTime
11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Right but he can and maybe should do it. It is time for him to call his own plays if the offense wants to win or he might have to hold on to the ball and be a threat by buying time. I don;t want Eli to do that too much cause he is not like Rodgers, Ben and Rivers.

nah...Eli and the offense usually run fine. There is no reason he needs to call every play on his own. QBs who have the chart on their are are NOT calling the plays they are refereing to the wrist chart becaus t hey cant remeber the nomenclature for the play calls. The plays are still coming in from the bench

GameTime
11-09-2012, 01:48 PM

much like your post.....

myles2424
11-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Gilbride has said in the past that Eli isn't good at doing that.

Gilbride isnt that good at doing it either....

giantsforce
11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
The play book that players get is pretty thick and includes diagrams. What you are referring to is the play call sheet for a particular game.Come on Man! How many pages can Killdrive's play book have? It cannot be that thick because there are only so many ways you can draw Run, Run, Throw, Kick.

Cloud57
11-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Come on Man! How many pages can Killdrive's play book have? It cannot be that thick because there are only so many ways you can draw Run, Run, Throw, Kick.

LOL

myles2424
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
And yet he's only had one losing season here and has taken his offense to two Super Bowls, which we won. I'll take that kind of incompetence.
Yes & thanks to Eli manning

YATittle1962
11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
the day quarterbacks stopped calling their own plays was the day the game of football started to suffer just a bit

this used to be part of the position

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Come on Man! How many pages can Killdrive's play book have? It cannot be that thick because there are only so many ways you can draw Run, Run, Throw, Kick.At one time the Skins had 300 plays so a playbook can have a lot.

Diamondring
11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
nah...Eli and the offense usually run fine. There is no reason he needs to call every play on his own. QBs who have the chart on their are are NOT calling the plays they are refereing to the wrist chart becaus t hey cant remeber the nomenclature for the play calls. The plays are still coming in from the benchNot all of the time.

YATittle1962
11-09-2012, 04:07 PM
there can be 10 different route combinations in one play

for example ....if the play is

jet right, double X, jet, 36 counter, naked waggle, X-7, X quarter, Y-9

every one of those sections separated by a comma can change individually .......and in turn completely change the nature of the play

GameTime
11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
the day quarterbacks stopped calling their own plays was the day the game of football started to suffer just a bit

this used to be part of the position

thinking todays schemes on both sides of the bal are too complex to have "most" QBs call their own game....

GameTime
11-09-2012, 04:11 PM
there can be 10 different route combinations in one play

for example ....if the play is

jet right, double X, jet, 36 counter, naked waggle, X-7, X quarter, Y-9

every one of those sections separated by a comma can change individually .......and in turn completely change the nature of the play

glad I am just a fan....:)

YATittle1962
11-09-2012, 04:13 PM
thinking todays schemes on both sides of the bal are too complex to have "most" QBs call their own game....

if the quarterback still called their own plays it would greatly diminish the amount of players that would be able to handle the position

there would have never been a Michael Vick or a Cam Newton etc.....guys who are still not allowed to audible at the line

GameTime
11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
if the quarterback still called their own plays it would greatly diminish the amount of players that would be able to handle the position

there would have never been a Michael Vick or a Cam Newton etc.....guys who are still not allowed to audible at the line

I guess the evolution of the game and the postion is necessarily a good thing. Not taking away from the talent of the Vicks and Newtons but the shemeing and the chess match gets.

MikeyMike01
11-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Given what he has to work with, his results aren't too great.