PDA

View Full Version : Just something to think about.

rtr1105
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
In the 2007 NFL Draft, we drafted Aaron Ross ahead of Jon Beason and Paul Posluszny. That is all.

RoanokeFan
11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I woke up thinking about that very thing :rolleyes:

Mercury
11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm really wondering what you are thinking? Do we win the superbowl in 2007 without Ross? And he played admirably well when TT went down. Do we win the superbowl in 2011 without Ross? We were depleted at CB, behind Ross in 2011. I doubt we would have had the talent at CB.

Even the greatest LBer is not a replacement for a servicable CB.

rtr1105
11-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm really wondering what you are thinking? Do we win the superbowl in 2007 without Ross? And he played admirably well when TT went down. Do we win the superbowl in 2011 without Ross? We were depleted at CB, behind Ross in 2011. I doubt we would have had the talent at CB.

Even the greatest LBer is not a replacement for a servicable CB.
In 2007, who knows? Our CBs have been depleted every year it seems, but last year Ross had so many busted coverages. I admit that we were very thin there, but he was more of a liability than an asset. Ross was good for us except for last year, but before then we had our share of good corners. Webster has always been solid while Ross was there and T2 was one of the better corners that there was. But at MLB, we've tried so many guys that failed. Goff wasn't terrible, but he got hurt and wound up leaving. Greg Jones was just horrible. Blackburn was crucial to our Super Bowl run last year when we picked him up, but he's dropped off this year. A guy like Beason or Posluszny in the middle of our defense would've been a mainstay since then, barring anything unforeseen that didn't happen with their other teams. I understand your argument completely, and it could go either way. But I personally would've preferred a star MLB calling the shots than one servicable corner who has has his ups and downs.

slipknottin
11-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Pos is only an average to above average player, and Beason is on IR every season, hasent been a great LB for years.

In my opinion, what would have been more interesting is if the giants actually went through with the trade up for Revis. Reese admitted after the draft that they did try, and did have Revis rated far ahead of Ross, but just did not want to part with the picks required.

Jets went from 25th overall to 14th overall, while giving up their 25th overall, 2nd round (59th), and 5th (164th) picks to get Revis.

Giants at 20 would have had to give up less overall, but perhaps could have gotten away with a 3rd (81st)and a 5th (153)

Lets see here, the trade value chart says -

25th overall = 720
+
59th overall = 310
+
164th overall = 25.8
= 1055 points

Giants
20th overall = 850
+
81st overall = 185
+
153 overall = 30
= 1065 points

If they made that trade, the giants would have instead not been able to draft Alford and Boss.

Morehead State
11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
How many SB's do Beason and Poz have?
Ross has 2. Both with us. And was a major contributor in both.

TheEnigma
11-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Rather of had Ben Grubbs over those two personally. Oh well.

slipknottin
11-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Rather of had Ben Grubbs over those two personally. Oh well.

Grubbs isnt even a top 10 guard. Hes good, but for a 1st round pick? Ehh

TheEnigma
11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Grubbs isnt even a top 10 guard. Hes good, but for a 1st round pick? Ehh

Playing hindsight draft (which is what happened in the OP), I'd say Grubbs is a much better G than Ross was a CB at this point in their careers. Beason is the best player out of the 4 but as you mentioned, he is injured too often.

slipknottin
11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Playing hindsight draft (which is what happened in the OP), I'd say Grubbs is a much better G than Ross was a CB at this point in their careers. Beason is the best player out of the 4 but as you mentioned, he is injured too often.

Id still take Revis, which the giants almost did.

TheEnigma
11-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Yeah but way more often than not, most drafts have a player that you wish you traded up for in hindsight.

Morehead State
11-09-2012, 05:13 PM
As I remember..Revis was long gone by our pick.

CowboysSuck
11-09-2012, 05:36 PM
hindsight drafting is nonsense. How many teams would have loved to pick up Brady in the 6th?

Concerning us: Jacobs or bradshaw in the late rounds? How about JPP? Would the Chargers have taken rivers, or demanded other players/picks? looking in the rear view mirror is always 20/20.

We get our breaks from the draft too.

appodictic
11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I admit, if you would have said this to me at the time I would have slapped you. But here it goes...

"We should have cut Webster and used that money to pay for Aaron Ross" Ross is not incredible mind you but he is playing well on the Jags. Webster is 33 and he has fallen off a cliff production wise.

ELI_HOF_NYG
11-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I admit, if you would have said this to me at the time I would have slapped you. But here it goes...

"We should have cut Webster and used that money to pay for Aaron Ross" Ross is not incredible mind you but he is playing well on the Jags. Webster is 33 and he has fallen off a cliff production wise.

I liked Ross too,,,didn't always play well, but played big when we needed him to,,aka playoffs.

EnragedYouth85
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Ross was a good player but he was just asking for too much money. And they didn't let him go because we had Webster and Prince. They let him go because we had TT, Webster and Prince..

SackingMyths
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
He isn't asked to single up on every opposing #1 WR like Corey, so it's not a truly fair comparison. Both have been underwhelming this season so I'd rather have CW b/c at their best, he's better than AR.

TheEnigma
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Isn't Ross the #3 CB in Jacksonville behind Mathis and Cox?

giantsfan420
11-10-2012, 06:50 PM
AR was pretty big in both playoff runs...hes a forgotten man round here

slipknottin
11-10-2012, 06:53 PM
As I remember..Revis was long gone by our pick.

Jets traded up to get him. Reese said post draft they were doing the same, but ultimately thought giving up their 3rd and 5th round picks was too much.

Ruttiger711
11-10-2012, 06:54 PM
The Giants kept the right guy.

RagTime Blue
11-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Ross was a good player but he was just asking for too much money. And they didn't let him go because we had Webster and Prince. They let him go because we had TT, Webster and Prince..

Yes, it seemed that JR had to choose between TT and Ross. Webster wasn't going anywhere. Who knows though, maybe if Ross was still on the team, Prince wouldn't be getting nearly the action he is now.

EnragedYouth85
11-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, it seemed that JR had to choose between TT and Ross. Webster wasn't going anywhere. Who knows though, maybe if Ross was still on the team, Prince wouldn't be getting nearly the action he is now.

Yup, TT was clearly the right choice at the time. Ross was a good player just not as good as the paycheck he wanted..

rtr1105
11-10-2012, 07:01 PM
He was good in both playoff runs, but last year he was awful in the regular season. I think it was time to let him go and it worked with the way Prince has stepped up. Although right now, I'd much rather have Ross than Webster. Ross isn't doing bad in Jacksonville.

EnragedYouth85
11-10-2012, 07:05 PM
He was good in both playoff runs, but last year he was awful in the regular season. I think it was time to let him go and it worked with the way Prince has stepped up. Although right now, I'd much rather have Ross than Webster. Ross isn't doing bad in Jacksonville.

Well Ross is probably playing against teams 3rd and 4th WR's so that doesnt say much. Webster is consistantly on #1 WRs all game.

Captain Chaos
11-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Revis would have been a great pick, unfortunately the boards would have gone off the peg on that one! We got a ton of milage out of Ross and he did well for us not sure why your going through that could have should have would have scenario. I think you out to take a look at who we passed over when we picked up Sintim, that one would really make you ill!

Morehead State
11-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Jets traded up to get him. Reese said post draft they were doing the same, but ultimately thought giving up their 3rd and 5th round picks was too much.
Huh? a 3rd and a 5th?
As I remember the Giants were picking 20th. It would have taken a hell of a lot more than that to move up that far.

Flip Empty
11-11-2012, 08:58 AM
If meaningless factoids are what you're after - in that same draft, the Raiders selected JaMarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Revis, Patrick Willis and Joe Thomas.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the fact is the Giants won two Super Bowls without John Beason, Paul Posluszny, Darrelle Revis and, err... Brady Quinn.

What is OP's point, exactly?

slipknottin
11-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Huh? a 3rd and a 5th?
As I remember the Giants were picking 20th. It would have taken a hell of a lot more than that to move up that far.

I did the calculations earlier in the thread. The jets traded up giving up a 2nd and a 5th. The giants with a higher pick in all rounds would have provided more value than the jets ultimately did by trading their 1st, 3rd, and 5th

Flip Empty
11-11-2012, 09:15 AM
I did the calculations earlier in the thread. The jets traded up giving up a 2nd and a 5th. The giants with a higher pick in all rounds would have provided more value than the jets ultimately did by trading their 1st, 3rd, and 5th

Hmm, those picks wound up becoming Jay Alford and Kevin Boss - two players who contributed heavily to the XLII run.

slipknottin
11-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Hmm, those picks wound up becoming Jay Alford and Kevin Boss - two players who contributed heavily to the XLII run.

But ultimately neither of them became much of anything. Alford has been out of the league now, while Boss is on IR again with concussions.

Could they have found replacements for Boss and Alford that season in free agency? I would think they could.

appodictic
11-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Also we could have kept ross and cut webster. At the time it would have been nuts but webster is now 33 and seems on the decline. Ross is playing great in jax.

slipknottin
11-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Also we could have kept ross and cut webster. At the time it would have been nuts but webster is now 33 and seems on the decline. Ross is playing great in jax.

Webster and Ross are the same age.

Ruttiger711
11-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Also we could have kept ross and cut webster. At the time it would have been nuts but webster is now 33 and seems on the decline. Ross is playing great in jax.Same age and both 30. Had it not been for Romo's overthrow and Austin "losing it in the lights" last season would have been over. It certainly wasnt Ross's blown coverage on that play that kept us in the game.