Sean Locklear
542 snaps
0 sacks allowed
21 hurries allowed

David Diehl
151 snaps
3 sacks allowed
8 hurries allowed

Can someone please explain to me why Locklear was benched? There has to be more to the story than "you can't lose your job due to injury". How about losing your job to a guy playing better than you?

TheEnigma
11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Locklear allows a pressure every 25-26 snaps while Diehl allows a pressure every 13-14 snaps.

Here's what Diehl's stats would look like if he had the same amount of snaps as Locklear at this point in the season (mathematical projections of course)

David Diehl
542 snaps
11 sacks allowed
29 hurries allowed

Toadofsteel
11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
BUT DD IS THE STARTER YOU GUYS! WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LOYALTY??

Gmen 802
11-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I really want to mail this stat in to Coughlin. I just simply can NOT believe they put Diehl back in. He needs to be cut after this year, he is over the hill and about to fall off the cliff. DONE. Thank you for your time here and contributions to our SB runs DD, even though I find it shocking we won them with you starting at LEFT tackle let alone right. I really don't get it. If he has another bad game this week and is the starter after the bye I just don't know what is going on. I am a big Coughlin supporter but it's things like this that shake my faith in his decisions sometimes.

CowboysSuck
11-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Its funny because even if we do win some games from here on out, in will be in spite of Diehls awful performance, and not because hes playing well.

Its like a 1-way street. He plays awful no matter what and win or lose...he still plays awful. Does this move make sense to ANYONE??

moosedrool
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
BUT DD IS THE STARTER YOU GUYS! WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LOYALTY??

Loyalty of this nature is contributing to a sputtering offense and may even get your franchise QB injured.

TheEnigma
11-09-2012, 06:00 PM
The only thing I can think that makes any sense is that the coaching staff wants to get Diehl some more money since his contract is full of escalators depending on how many games he plays and at what position. I find it hard to believe that someone as great as Coughlin seriously sees Diehl as a better player than Locklear at this present moment. I'm really trying my best to not think Coughlin has a weakness when it comes to offensive line evaluation.

Mr. G-Man
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
smh

TextureDj
11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
These numbers seem to show that Locklear isnt allowing as many sacks even though he is getting beat almost as much?

Being a skinny guy I am no aficionado pf Oline play, so I ask. is there some technique to getting bet that allows the QB to better compensate?

Is it because Deihl is getting beat deep by the speed rush and out of Elis sight while Locklear is just getting out muscled up front?

CowboysSuck
11-09-2012, 06:25 PM
These numbers seem to show that Locklear isnt allowing as many sacks even though he is getting beat almost as much?

Being a skinny guy I am no aficionado pf Oline play, so I ask. is there some technique to getting bet that allows the QB to better compensate?

Is it because Deihl is getting beat deep by the speed rush and out of Elis sight while Locklear is just getting out muscled up front?

I think you arguing with a false pretense. Locklear is not giving up more hurries than Diehl is; per snap.

TextureDj
11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I think you arguing with a false pretense. Locklear is not giving up more hurries than Diehl is; per snap.I didnt say more, I said almost as much. Meaning fewer, but comparable. Obviously we are dealing with a small sample size for Deihl in this instance but Locklear isnt responsible for a single sack but quite a few hurries.

Its more noticeable if you look at The Enigmas projection, which obviously is not guaranteed. At this level of performance Deihl will give up way more sacks but a similar amount of pressures.

moosedrool
11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I didnt say more, I said almost as much. Meaning fewer, but comparable. Obviously we are dealing with a small sample size for Deihl in this instance but Locklear isnt responsible for a single sack but quite a few hurries.

Its more noticeable if you look at The Enigmas projection, which obviously is not guaranteed. At this level of performance Deihl will give up way more sacks but a similar amount of pressures.

If you add the prorated sacks+hurries you get 40 for Diehl. Compare that to Locklear's 21 total. That's not similar, that's almost twice as many.

TheEnigma
11-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Just to clear the air and make sure everyone is on track with the terminology...A pressure can be a sack, hit, or hurry. Sacks, of course, are the ultimate negatives in pressure. That's why they do more damage to a lineman's grade than a hit or hurry because it's a loss of yardage and possibly, a turnover as well.

So while Diehl would only allow slightly more HURRIES per snap than Locklear, the amount of total pressure he is allowing is near twice as much as Locklear.

TextureDj
11-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Just to clear the air and make sure everyone is on track with the terminology...A pressure can be a sack, hit, or hurry. Sacks, of course, are the ultimate negatives in pressure. That's why they do more damage to a lineman's grade than a hit or hurry because it's a loss of yardage and possibly, a turnover as well.

So while Diehl would only allow slightly more HURRIES per snap than Locklear, the amount of total pressure he is allowing is near twice as much as Locklear.

That was what I was looking for. Figured I was missing something, as opposed to stumbling on the meaning of life. Just learning to understand the trenches in all their intricacies.

Thank you for the clarification.

Captain Chaos
11-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Interesting stats, I'm sure the coaching staff has them, if so then why don't they act. Or are there mitigating circumstances?

bigblue58
11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
The OL was performing better with Locklear and whenever Mitch Petrus was installed.
They benched Locklear when Diehl returned and waived Petrus in order to activate Travis Beckum!
If those moves by the Giants make any sense to you, I would appreciate it if you could explain to me HOW.

Tmurda1984
11-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Its funny how Jerry Reese has us begging to start a journeyman like Sean Locklear. This offensive line is soo pathetic that we are begging Locklear to start, after sooo many teams cut this man without even thinking twice about it. You know what would be the solution to this problem? Draft a Tackle with your 1st pick, then we would have a tackle that has all the tools to start one day and give Coughlin the confidence to sit Diehl down. Do Yall really think Coughlin is going to sit a guy who has been decent and versatile for him for a guy who's been cut by several teams. Diehl was not losing his job due to an injury and a journeyman overachieving for a small stretch of time. Its amazing how Reese doesnt take any blame for this....instead the coaching staff is taking heat because they started Diehl over a guy than fans think is playing like Orlando Pace. If Reese brings in a tackle, Im sure Diehl would be on the bench. Diehl's is making waay too much money to be sitting on the bench behind a journeyman. Wake Up People...Reese is the problem.

drewz
11-10-2012, 11:58 AM
jesus christ.. DRAFTING AN OFFENSIVE LINEMEN IN THE FIRST ROUND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THEY'LL START DAY ONE, OR EVEN BE A STUD.

Reese has put talent on the offensive line. James Brewer is considered to be our RT of the future, is it Reese's fault if Tom Coughlin wants to keep starting Turnstile Diehl?

drewz
11-10-2012, 11:59 AM
BTW.. hopefully Reese does the right thing and cut Diehl in the offseason

Tmurda1984
11-10-2012, 12:07 PM
jesus christ.. DRAFTING AN OFFENSIVE LINEMEN IN THE FIRST ROUND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THEY'LL START DAY ONE, OR EVEN BE A STUD.

Reese has put talent on the offensive line. James Brewer is considered to be our RT of the future, is it Reese's fault if Tom Coughlin wants to keep starting Turnstile Diehl?

Its doesnt guarantee you that he would be the great tackle we need, but nothing is guaranteed isnt it? But drafting a 1st round tackle would make it more likely that you have your tackle of the future. I can name a ton of young 1st round tackles that are looking better than Diehl and Locklear. James Brewer the TACKLE of the future LMAO, He's lucky to suit up every week and you think he's our tackle of the future? lol

moosedrool
11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
instead the coaching staff is taking heat because they started Diehl over a guy than fans think is playing like Orlando Pace.

Not one person in this thread said Locklear was playing like Orlando Pace. He clearly is mediocre at best. But mediocre is a huge improvement over Diehl and the best we have RIGHT NOW.

nycisgreat
11-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Here are the stats from PFF:

Sean Locklear
542 snaps
0 sacks allowed
21 hurries allowed

David Diehl
151 snaps
3 sacks allowed
8 hurries allowed

Can someone please explain to me why Locklear was benched? There has to be more to the story than "you can't lose your job due to injury". How about losing your job to a guy playing better than you?

Coughlin is just a loyal guy. Even if it is a detriment to the entire team. If Diehl starts tomorrow, it will only prove that he is stubborn to bench guys that he had success with in the past.

nycisgreat
11-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Not one person in this thread said Locklear was playing like Orlando Pace. He clearly is mediocre at best. But mediocre is a huge improvement over Diehl and the best we have RIGHT NOW.

That is fair.

GiantRoc
11-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Tmurda, Just because Locklear is "journeyman" player, doesn't mean he is a bad player. I think it is the opposite. I think it shows, while not being the "BEST" guy out there, is he is dependable, consistant and learns new systems well. I think a lot of teams use him to hold the fort while they develop new talent. Hopefully this is the case here. I hope we have some talent being developed that will step up in the near future. If that isn't the case, Then you should blast away at Reese.

Eliscruzzz
11-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Get ready to be pissed everyone sounds like DD is starting again. TC has me questioning his reason to start this guy. He needs to let his damn ego go...http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/19343/locklear-fine-with-backup-role.

FlyingTruck
11-10-2012, 03:16 PM
I know Diehl has been playing bad..well all season. But let's remember last game was his first back from his injury. He might, MIGHT, look slightly better vs. Cincy. I still think Locklear should start. The run game and pass protection was better. I think he just gelled better with the other linemen..oh well.

Tmurda1984
11-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Tmurda, Just because Locklear is "journeyman" player, doesn't mean he is a bad player. I think it is the opposite. I think it shows, while not being the "BEST" guy out there, is he is dependable, consistant and learns new systems well. I think a lot of teams use him to hold the fort while they develop new talent. Hopefully this is the case here. I hope we have some talent being developed that will step up in the near future. If that isn't the case, Then you should blast away at Reese.

There isnt any young talent being developed while Locklear holds the fort down. Unless you are expecting big things out of James Brewer. Brewer is not even getting time as a extra tight end. Locklear is on the team as a replacement for Diehl and Beatty. This is why I am blasting Reese. Get a capable young tackle in their with your 1st round pick, and we can give Coughlin the confidence to start that guy over Diehl. If you are Coughlin, and Diehl has given him many good years at Tackle, and you going to replace him with Locklear who struggled at times around the league.

BlueBlooded1979
11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I know Diehl has been playing bad..well all season. But let's remember last game was his first back from his injury. He might, MIGHT, look slightly better vs. Cincy. I still think Locklear should start. The run game and pass protection was better. I think he just gelled better with the other linemen..oh well.

He has been playing the Jumbo TE for several weeks. You know, when they were running the ball well.

GiantRoc
11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
There isnt any young talent being developed while Locklear holds the fort down. Unless you are expecting big things out of James Brewer. Brewer is not even getting time as a extra tight end. Locklear is on the team as a replacement for Diehl and Beatty. This is why I am blasting Reese. Get a capable young tackle in their with your 1st round pick, and we can give Coughlin the confidence to start that guy over Diehl. If you are Coughlin, and Diehl has given him many good years at Tackle, and you going to replace him with Locklear who struggled at times around the league.

Actually I did see Brewer in on the jumbos while Diehl was out. He actually did a good job when I saw him out there.

egyptian420
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Its funny because even if we do win some games from here on out, in will be in spite of Diehls awful performance, and not because hes playing well.

Its like a 1-way street. He plays awful no matter what and win or lose...he still plays awful. Does this move make sense to ANYONE??Agreed....it sickens me....as much as I like Diehl and what he's done for us over the years....he's terrible as a player at this point in his career.

Even if they move him inside and put Locklear at tackle....he's just going to get ABUSED by Geno Atkins all day...he's a backup at best at this point.