PDA

View Full Version : Don't Look Now, But Prince Amukamara Rated As One Of NFL's best CBs

RoanokeFan
11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/11/10/dont-look-now-but-new-york-giants-prince-amukamara-rated-as-one-of-nfls-best-cornerbacks/

Excerpt: "What a crazy two years it's been for Prince Amukamara (http://www.giants101.com/tag/prince-amukamara/). He was a first-round draft pick of the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants a year ago, and fresh off an NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Lockout, the rookie decided to holdout for a larger contract. Shortly after he received it, he broke his foot and missed a large chunk of the 2011-2012 season. Upon his return, he quickly snagged his first career interception and Big Blue eventually went on to win the Super Bowl.

Fast forward to this season, and the early story was Amukamara's ice bath in the cold tub (http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/19/jason-pierre-paul-dumps-prince-amukamara-into-a-cold-tub-prank-gone-too-far/), followed by teammates openly stating they wanted to see more "swag" from him (http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/23/new-york-giants-want-to-see-prince-amukamara-show-more-swag/). He was even mocked by other players around the league, who expected him to deliver them doughnuts (http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/20/new-york-jets-bart-scott-wants-giants-cb-prince-amukamara-to-bring-him-doughnuts/).

Yet here we are, nine weeks into the 2012-2013 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) season, and all of that has long been forgotten. And not just because the passing time has masked it, but because Amukamara has played exceptionally well all year … perhaps more than most realize.

Our friends at Pro Football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/) Focus recently called Amukamara a "second-year standout" and rated him as the 9th best cornerback in the entire league (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/25/snapshot-nfl-passer-rating-allowed-cornerbacks/).

So far this season, Amukamara has been targeted 21 times, allowing 10 receptions (47.62%) for 110 yards and no touchdowns. He's also hauled in an interception, while quarterbacks have combined for a 43.8 QB Rating against him.

By comparison, his counterpart, Corey Webster (http://www.giants101.com/tag/corey-webster/), is ranked 76th overall in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/). He has been targeted 40 times, allowing 26 receptions (65%) for 431 yards and three touchdowns. He, too, has an interception, but opposing quarterbacks have a combined 115.7 QB Rating against him. However, it is important to note that Webster has been playing with an injured hamstring and broken hand all season." Read more...

ReiRiza
11-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Not surprised. Amu has been killing it all season, how many times do you even hear his name? 10 receptions in almost 10 games?? BEAST Keep it up

EnragedYouth85
11-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Prince will be on this team for years to come. Great draft choice and he's stepping up for sure!

Eliscruzzz
11-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Amazing now hopefully the other corners can get back to playing at a decent level. I did see improvement from Webby the last game.

Die-Hard
11-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Wow, I knew he was playing better, but I had no idea his numbers were that good.

ashleymarie
11-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Wow, I knew he was playing better, but I had no idea his numbers were that good.

Me either. I often hear his name called for an "attaboy" but had no idea he was putting up such numbers.

Rudyy
11-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm shocked.
Prince has definitely proved me wrong. Hosley needs to be opposite of him!

FlyingTruck
11-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Great job by Amu. I know some people were ready to give up on him.

What's up with Webster this year though? Seems to have lost a step.

Rudyy
11-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Great job by Amu. I know some people were ready to give up on him.

What's up with Webster this year though? Seems to have lost a step.Broken hand and hamstring.
Why do we continue to play Nicks, Bradshaw, and Webby?

TheEnigma
11-10-2012, 03:56 PM
2011 draft has a bunch of outstanding CBs. Prince, Peterson, Sherman, Culliver, Harris, and Jimmy Smith has potential too.

ELI_HOF_NYG
11-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I think a lot of people are shocked because they were to busy getting down on this kid instead of giving him a chance to play.

giantsfan420
11-10-2012, 03:57 PM
people were still calling him a bust as little as a week ago if u can believe it. i know there were quite a few of us who saw this potential coming to fruition. scary thing is he's not even close to being at his top performance level, he has a ton he can improve upon

DVision
11-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm shocked.
Prince has definitely proved me wrong. Hosley needs to be opposite of him!

Are you serious? While I believe Hosley will be good eventually, he's been toast on the field! We can't get off the field on 3rd because he can't man up the slot! He's an off corner who excels in zone schemes. Prince is the opposite. He excels in man press.

Again I think he will be good, but he's not ready yet!

Rudyy
11-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Are you serious? While I believe Hosley will be good eventually, he's been toast on the field! We can't get off the field on 3rd because he can't man up the slot! He's an off corner who excels in zone schemes. Prince is the opposite. He excels in man press.

Again I think he will be good, but he's not ready yet!He's better than Corey Webster at this point..

Let's not get dramatic either, he played one bad game. He's been solid the rest.

miked1958
11-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Not surprised. Amu has been killing it all season, how many times do you even hear his name? 10 receptions in almost 10 games?? BEAST Keep it upi think he is on track to be a shutdown corner

RoanokeFan
11-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Broken hand and hamstring.
Why do we continue to play Nicks, Bradshaw, and Webby?

We have Hosley and Hill (maybe) back and Coe is out lol

Rudyy
11-10-2012, 04:49 PM
We have Hosley and Hill (maybe) back and Coe is out lolI know but the injuries are effecting these guys performance andddd it's evident.

egyptian420
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
i think he is on track to be a shutdown cornerI feel like he hasn't been targetted a lot like those first few games he played in his rookie year. Teams got Webster, who's playing not so well, and then a bunch of guys like Coe and Hosley who's a rookie that they can target.

In order for me to call him a "shutdown corner" (which really doesn't exist in all technicality), I would want to see him shut down some top guys with very close, tight, and physical coverage like Revis does. To me that's the closest example of someone I could even call a shutdown corner, but there is no such thing at the end of the day.

I love Prince though, and I feel he could become a top CB, I'm just not ready to say that yet. I'm interested in seeing what Hosley becomes as well.

bearbryant
11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I feel like he hasn't been targetted a lot like those first few games he played in his rookie year. Teams got Webster, who's playing not so well, and then a bunch of guys like Coe and Hosley who's a rookie that they can target.

In order for me to call him a "shutdown corner" (which really doesn't exist in all technicality), I would want to see him shut down some top guys with very close, tight, and physical coverage like Revis does. To me that's the closest example of someone I could even call a shutdown corner, but there is no such thing at the end of the day.

I love Prince though, and I feel he could become a top CB, I'm just not ready to say that yet. I'm interested in seeing what Hosley becomes as well.

I agree about everyone getting on webby in the first half. Thats where the toast was being burnt! Webby finally woke up in the Pitt game and got sick of listening to the truth. So no one focused on Prince, he's been playing solid CB. Meanwhile Coe and Tryon struggled just to get dressed properly!!!

The other issue is that the NY Giants will never have a shut down corner as long as fewell's the DC. He doesn't use his players talents to the best of their ability to do but one thing... WIN THE GAME! It's his philosophy: let the other guy make a mistake and give you the ball back, keep the play in front of you and make a tackle, use extra pressure only when loss is inevitable. Its why he fits into this staff so well. Its not pretty but it wins games and thats what you do to get in the play offs!

I like Prince he's shown the talent why we drafted him in the first round: fast, stays with his man, keeps track of the ball and the QB, and if you let him... He'll take the ball away from you! Hosley will have a problem adjusting to fewells system but he'll get on board after a while. He's fast, quick and has good recovery speed, he'd rather play man to man, in College he was better at that, not zone. I'm glad Will is back, he'll help. Go Giants!!!

Cool Papa B.
11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I feel like he hasn't been targetted a lot like those first few games he played in his rookie year. Teams got Webster, who's playing not so well, and then a bunch of guys like Coe and Hosley who's a rookie that they can target.

+1.....

I see Prince improving game to game, but I didn't think he was top 10 just yet. He gives up too much of a cushion to WRs. Should be interesting to see how he handles Green on Sunday.

dnotch121
11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Well maybe they dont need to throw his way becaude they know weeby's guy is gonna be open first?

TextureDj
11-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Why do we continue to play Nicks, Bradshaw, and Webby?We play Webster because a hammied CWebb is still superior to Tryon or Coe in all respects and is just a bit more reliable over four downs than Hosely. For now.

Nicks situation is similar, though against tougher pass defenses it does seem a bit pointless.

Bradshaw, I really dont get. I thought he would sit more last year with the never practicing issues. There has to be something going on with tyhe depth at HB hat the coaching staff is hiding from us methinks. That or Brown was caught with his daughter, Snees old lady and TC has it in for him.

Rudyy
11-10-2012, 06:36 PM
We play Webster because a hammied CWebb is still superior to Tryon or Coe in all respects and is just a bit more reliable over four downs than Hosely. For now.

Nicks situation is similar, though against tougher pass defenses it does seem a bit pointless.

Bradshaw, I really dont get. I thought he would sit more last year with the never practicing issues. There has to be something going on with tyhe depth at HB hat the coaching staff is hiding from us methinks. That or Brown was caught with his daughter, Snees old lady and TC has it in for him.Haha.
I just think it's weird. I can understand Webby..but only a little bit. I would still start Hosley over him but to each his own.

Nicks and Bradshaw need to take a break. Rueben should be getting the majority of the reps in practice, didn't we draft him to fill the 3rd wide out position?
I'm not even going to get into the David Wilson/Bradshaw thing.

Cool Papa B.
11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I agree about everyone getting on webby in the first half. Thats where the toast was being burnt! Webby finally woke up in the Pitt game and got sick of listening to the truth. So no one focused on Prince, he's been playing solid CB. Meanwhile Coe and Tryon struggled just to get dressed properly!!!

The other issue is that the NY Giants will never have a shut down corner as long as fewell's the DC. He doesn't use his players talents to the best of their ability to do but one thing... WIN THE GAME! It's his philosophy: let the other guy make a mistake and give you the ball back, keep the play in front of you and make a tackle, use extra pressure only when loss is inevitable. Its why he fits into this staff so well. Its not pretty but it wins games and thats what you do to get in the play offs!

I like Prince he's shown the talent why we drafted him in the first round: fast, stays with his man, keeps track of the ball and the QB, and if you let him... He'll take the ball away from you! Hosley will have a problem adjusting to fewells system but he'll get on board after a while. He's fast, quick and has good recovery speed, he'd rather play man to man, in College he was better at that, not zone. I'm glad Will is back, he'll help. Go Giants!!!

Gotta disagree with you on the Giants never having a shut down CB under Fewell. This defense is built around 2 main things:

1. The pass rush

2. The secondary and it's ability to cover the receivers long enough to disrupt the QB.

Having a shut down CB would make Fewell's defense lethal.

Prince, Hosley, Will Hill.....the future of this secondary looks bright!

ELI_HOF_NYG
11-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Gotta disagree with you on the Giants never having a shut down CB under Fewell. This defense is built around 2 main things:

1. The pass rush

2. The secondary and it's ability to cover the receivers long enough to disrupt the QB.

Having a shut down CB would make Fewell's defense lethal.

Prince, Hosley, Will Hill.....the future of this secondary looks bright!

a shut down corner means nothing if our defensive front cant get to the quarterback and the linebackers cant fill the gaps. even revis cant cover all day if the opposing teams qb has all day as well.

CowboysSuck
11-10-2012, 07:10 PM
We play Webster because a hammied CWebb is still superior to Tryon or Coe in all respects and is just a bit more reliable over four downs than Hosely. For now.

Bradshaw, I really dont get. I thought he would sit more last year with the never practicing issues. There has to be something going on with tyhe depth at HB hat the coaching staff is hiding from us methinks. That or Brown was caught with his daughter, Snees old lady and TC has it in for him.

Yes, this is what I said after last weeks game. I think David is snooping around Mrs. Snee and TC isn't having any of it!

Cool Papa B.
11-10-2012, 08:45 PM
a shut down corner means nothing if our defensive front cant get to the quarterback and the linebackers cant fill the gaps. even revis cant cover all day if the opposing teams qb has all day as well.

Right. That's what I was saying in my previous post.

GiantWarfare
11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Much props to Prince, he's rounding into form so it seems. He's always had the talent, it was just a question of his mentality/attitude. And he should be even better so the sky is the limit for this guy. Not to compare him to Revis skill-wise but he has a very similar body frame and very similar strengths (excelling in press man for example).

As for Webby...my god, I know he's in the midst of what is probably gonna be his worst season but 76th rated CB??? That is awful...

slipknottin
11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Webster has played really well the past couple games.

Eliscruzzz
11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Webster has played really well the past couple games. Yes he has it's really just the middle of the field that is killing us.

EnragedYouth85
11-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes he has it's really just the middle of the field that is killing us.

Calling all Lbers! Where are ya?!

Roosevelt
11-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes he has it's really just the middle of the field that is killing us.

What are you smoking. Webster has sucked all season long.

Eliscruzzz
11-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Calling all Lbers! Where are ya?!Lol so true it hurts.

Eliscruzzz
11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
What are you smoking. Webster has sucked all season long.Wrong the last couple games he has been good..I guess you don't really watch the games do you?

Eliscruzzz
11-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Like it doesn't take a genius to see that the last couple of games we have been killed in the middle as opposed to the outside.

Roosevelt
11-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Wrong the last couple games he has been good..I guess you don't really watch the games do you?

By good do you mean not exploited like a rookie good? If so, I agree.

Drez
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
He's better than Corey Webster at this point..

Let's not get dramatic either, he played one bad game. He's been solid the rest.
I'd heed your own advice about Hosley. He's played rather poorly the past few games. He definitely would not mark an improvement over Webster at this point.

Eliscruzzz
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
By good do you mean not exploited like a rookie good? If so, I agree. What the hell are you talking about I not going toplay this game with you man. Hosley has been terrible the last couple of games Prince and Webby have held down the fort. Maybe you should open you eyes when you watch the games you'll see stuff like that. Now before that yes he has played like complete crap. The dude also playing with a broken hand.

moosedrool
11-10-2012, 09:47 PM
He's better than Corey Webster at this point..

You need to watch the last two games again. CWeb has played well and Hosley awful (4 penalties and a bunch of receptions allowed).

giantsfan420
11-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Wrong the last couple games he has been good..I guess you don't really watch the games do you?
webster had his best pff grade by far last week. he played well last week but before that he's been like the 80th ranked corner in the nfl

edit-actually im not sure about that. i know i read an article at pff that web had a very solid game bt cant remember if it was this past week or before that

B&RWarrior
11-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Webby's play has steadily improved. Wallace was MIA save the one big TD pass. Our secondary will be a force in the playoffs with CWeb, Prince, and Hosley with good cover skills.

JJC7301
11-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Prince will be on this team for years to come. Great draft choice and he's stepping up for sure!
Gotta love drafting talent that falls into our lap, instead of drafting for need. Especially great when that talent fits the need, especially a key need which the secondary always is.

Roosevelt
11-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Webby's play has steadily improved. Wallace was MIA save the one big TD pass. Our secondary will be a force in the playoffs with CWeb, Prince, and Hosley with good cover skills.

Webster is a highly paid veteran. He should have been leading our secondary from game 1.

B&RWarrior
11-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Webster is a highly paid veteran. He should have been leading our secondary from game 1.

Partying as the SB Champ in NYC is a rare opportunity. I can't blame him for overdoing it. Enjoy the moment.

Roosevelt
11-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Partying as the SB Champ in NYC is a rare opportunity. I can't blame him for overdoing it. Enjoy the moment.

Excellent argument.

Eliscruzzz
11-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Anyway..

Prince will be a top 3 corner by next year I really believe that. When he get's people double moves down he will be a shutdown corner. That is my only beef with his game is he is he can be beat on double moves a lot. He also I think needs to take more risks when the ball is up in the air. I'm not talking Asante Samuels risks but sometimes he needs to go for the int.

FlyingTruck
11-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Why do we continue to play Nicks, Bradshaw, and Webby?He seems to have improved a little bit over the last few games, so I guess it's not that big of a deal now. Hopefully him and our other players can heal up more over the bye.

TheEnigma
11-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Anyway..

Prince will be a top 3 safety by next year I really believe that.

What makes you think they are moving him to safety? Sorry, had to do it!

giants8493
11-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Has he ever not been one of the best cbs in the nfl?

Eliscruzzz
11-11-2012, 01:22 AM
What makes you think they are moving him to safety? Sorry, had to do it!hahahah you got me my bad... corner, sorry :(

FlyingTruck
11-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Has he ever not been one of the best cbs in the nfl?Well...it IS only his second year in the NFL...so....yeah. He missed part of his rookie season due to injury. It took him a few games, up to the playoffs pretty much, to get up to speed. It's carried over into this season.

giants8493
11-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Well...it IS only his second year in the NFL...so....yeah. He missed part of his rookie season due to injury. It took him a few games, up to the playoffs pretty much, to get up to speed. It's carried over into this season.then I don't get what the issue is

Rat_bastich
11-11-2012, 02:25 AM
then I don't get what the issue is

I think people equate a first round pick with immediate impact. He had his stumbles in his first year with injuries and misreads when he did get back. In his second year the whole ice tub deal and injury thing put a damper on early...but since then he has been as advertised.

giants8493
11-11-2012, 02:36 AM
I think people equate a first round pick with immediate impact. He had his stumbles in his first year with injuries and misreads when he did get back. In his second year the whole ice tub deal and injury thing put a damper on early...but since then he has been as advertised. Then people suck. Prince is really good.

Captain Chaos
11-11-2012, 06:32 AM
We knew the kid was going to be good when we STOLE him in the draft. We are just a little experience away from having a solid secondary....

Joe Morrison
11-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Now we will have to see if Webster can hang in now that Prince is going to force more action Webby's way.

NewCoachPlz
11-11-2012, 11:57 AM
+1.....

I see Prince improving game to game, but I didn't think he was top 10 just yet. He gives up too much of a cushion to WRs. Should be interesting to see how he handles Green on Sunday.

And I concur. Prince has to get tighter coverage and not give up first downs on one catch and tackle after the 12 yard catch.