PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Eli Manning, Kevin Gilbride Look To Fix Offensive Woes

RoanokeFan
11-10-2012, 02:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8609759/new-york-giants-eli-manning-co-look-fix-offensive-woes

Excerpt: "Kevin Gilbride has seen Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning) play so well and pull out so many fourth-quarter comebacks in the last year and a half.

That's why when Manning isn't able to come through, it's an odd feeling.

"Was it jarring?" Gilbride, the Giants' offensive coordinator, said when asked about seeing his unit struggle in the fourth quarter against Pittsburgh last Sunday. "Yeah, it was. There's no question about it."

By Sunday's kickoff against the Cincinnati Bengals (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals), Manning will have gone 21 days since he last threw a touchdown.Remember that touchdown? It was the 77-yarder to Victor Cruz (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13553/victor-cruz) against Washington on Oct. 21. In fact, that game-winning score is Manning's only passing touchdown in his last 14 quarters.

Besides touchdowns, passing yards also have been hard to come by. Manning has passed for just 317 yards in the past two games combined against Dallas and Pittsburgh.The Giants' offensive power outage has kept Manning, Gilbride and Tom Coughlin searching for solutions. One thing all three agree on is that the Giants don't need to make any major changes, but rather, subtle alterations. And they have to find a way to get back to their strengths."I don't think we have to go in and change everything we're doing," Manning said. "We're still in games in the fourth quarter."We've got to keep working. That's all you can do. It's not a time to say, 'Oh, we've got to change our offense, or we have to do this-and-that.' We've got to keep working and start making some plays." Read more...

Diamondring
11-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I hope the position coaches are helping bigtime..

RoanokeFan
11-11-2012, 12:08 PM
I hope the position coaches are helping bigtime..

Why would you have any doubt about that?

EnragedYouth85
11-11-2012, 12:10 PM
I feel they put in the time and effort to have a good game today! It's all about execution and game time changes to what their defense is showing us!

Diamondring
11-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Why would you have any doubt about that?Cause it seems that it is more of the players and not the plays. Do anyone of our wrs know how to catch that deep ball with a defender with them? Against the Egals, in the last minutes, Barden should of known how to catch that deep ball with a defender on him or become a defender and knock the ball away. Giants have to work on those one on one deep ball matchups with the big guys when they have the advantage over the defender.

Our dbs seems to relax when the ball is in the air. I have seen a lot of times they be around the ball when the receiver is about the catch it and the receiver succeeds. This is on the dbs cause they were in the erea and should have made the play but they didn't. This happened a lot in 09 I believe. Now I am seeing this happening again but it was better than in 09 though.

RoanokeFan
11-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Cause it seems that it is more of the players and not the plays. Do anyone of our wrs know how to catch that deep ball with a defender with them? Against the Egals, in the last minutes, Barden should of known how to catch that deep ball with a defender on him or become a defender and knock the ball away. Giants have to work on those one on one deep ball matchups with the big guys when they have the advantage over the defender.

Our dbs seems to relax when the ball is in the air. I have seen a lot of times they be around the ball when the receiver is about the catch it and the receiver succeeds. This is on the dbs cause they were in the erea and should have made the play but they didn't. This happened a lot in 09 I believe. Now I am seeing this happening again but it was better than in 09 though.

No, our receivers just suck and we need to draft three receivers next season.

The Barden play to which you refer was Eli's fault and Barden did what he had to do to prevent a possible interception.

EnragedYouth85
11-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Cause it seems that it is more of the players and not the plays. Do anyone of our wrs know how to catch that deep ball with a defender with them? Against the Egals, in the last minutes, Barden should of known how to catch that deep ball with a defender on him or become a defender and knock the ball away. Giants have to work on those one on one deep ball matchups with the big guys when they have the advantage over the defender.

So your harping on the WR's for not catching the balls with DB's in their face and then harping on the DB's for not stopping WR's from catching the ball when they are in their face?lol..

Diamondring
11-11-2012, 12:38 PM
No, our receivers just suck and we need to draft three receivers next season.

The Barden play to which you refer was Eli's fault and Barden did what he had to do to prevent a possible interception.I don't care if our wrs suck. You may be right. But there is a way to catch those deep passes and it was on Barden. Now you are older than me and must have seen a lot of games where a wr and db are one on one and you seen the receiver battle the defender for the ball. Barden didn't know how to catch those deep balls. I know how to catch those types of passes when I was a teen.

If Barden would have made the right attempted at the right time and still didn't get the ball, then I wouldn't complain. He didn't have to make the foul and you should know this. If not then you need to look at the game more.

Diamondring
11-11-2012, 12:58 PM
So your harping on the WR's for not catching the balls with DB's in their face and then harping on the DB's for not stopping WR's from catching the ball when they are in their face?lol..Ok, I'm going to say this to you and I'm sorry I didn't say the whole thing before. When you have tall receivers and they are going against smaller backs, the tall receiver may have one advantage and that is height. Now if a db can match that height, then the tall receivers may not have the advantage WHEN IT COMES TO CATCHING JUMP BALLS LIKE FADES ETC ETC! Yes I'm getting on Barden for not catching the ball but how he fouled the db whoever his name. Now if you looked at the game past and present, you would see what I am talking about. As a matter of fact, I think Barden had the advantage and didn't even have to make the foul. That was on him. He could and should have knocked it our of the way cause he was IN POSITION TO DO SO!! If he wasn't and the db had the upper hand, then I would understand.

As for dbs, well if they are in the erea and is able to make the play and they aren't able to and that happens a lot, then it is on the db and not the DC and not even the D-line. The D-line is going to get a certain amount of pressure and they aren't going to do it all of the time. If our dbs are in the erea then they should make the play and if not, then somethng is wrong so it makes no sense to blame the DC wich a lot of posters do.

jomo
11-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Ok, I'm going to say this to you and I'm sorry I didn't say the whole thing before. When you have tall receivers and they are going against smaller backs, the tall receiver may have one advantage and that is height. Now if a db can match that height, then the tall receivers may not have the advantage WHEN IT COMES TO CATCHING JUMP BALLS LIKE FADES ETC ETC! Yes I'm getting on Barden for not catching the ball but how he fouled the db whoever his name. Now if you looked at the game past and present, you would see what I am talking about. As a matter of fact, I think Barden had the advantage and didn't even have to make the foul. That was on him. He could and should have knocked it our of the way cause he was IN POSITION TO DO SO!! If he wasn't and the db had the upper hand, then I would understand.

As for dbs, well if they are in the erea and is able to make the play and they aren't able to and that happens a lot, then it is on the db and not the DC and not even the D-line. The D-line is going to get a certain amount of pressure and they aren't going to do it all of the time. If our dbs are in the erea then they should make the play and if not, then somethng is wrong so it makes no sense to blame the DC wich a lot of posters do.Barden is tall by measurement but rather short in the other categories that matter far more.