PDA

View Full Version : Nicks TD drop - he lost the ball in the sun

netplus
12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
<u>NY Post article (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/with_sun_in_his_eyes_nicks_left_CpiJ4ongZga3oqp892 MgDO)</u>

JacksGiant76
12-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Even if he caught the ball and scored, I don't think it would of mattered because the defense didn't make a stop all day.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Even if he caught the ball and scored, I don't think it would of mattered because the defense didn't make a stop all day.
Thats total bs in a nutshell, that would have set a tempo for the rest of the game! sorry jack but you are WRONG! We could have built off that play, but the sun was actually in his eyes and we should have tried same play to other side of the field imo.

GiantWarfare
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
As Chris Carter said, when the sun's in your eyes, look for the dark spot and go get it, that's the ball.

The elite receivers dont drop walk-in-the-park TDs....

if Nicks wants to be in that class, he has to make that catch no ifs ands or buts...

Nicks is a great receiver, but he's not an elite one yet and until he manages to cut out those mistakes, he won't be considered one.

Potential is definitely there though, the guy has spectacular play-making ability.

ShakeNBake
12-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Didn't he make this same excuse earlier in the season? If its that big of a deal wear a visor.

YATittle1962
12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
As Chris Carter said, when the sun's in your eyes, look for the dark spot and go get it, that's the ball.

if Nicks wants to be in that class, he has to make that catch no ifs ands or buts...

Nicks is a great receiver, but he's not an elite one yet and until he manages to cut out those mistakes, he won't be considered one.

Potential is definitely there though, the guy has spectacular play-making ability.

do elite receivers drop balls while carrying them into the endzone in playoff games?

GiantWarfare
12-19-2011, 11:06 PM

do elite receivers drop balls while carrying them into the endzone in playoff games?

lol...they dont drop wide open walk-in TDs that's for sure.

BTW I'm a Nicks guy but my whole spiel is basically, if he wants to be considered as one of the very best at his position (thats Fitz/AJ/Megatron territory) he has to be more consistent in catching the ball.

Same goes for Cruz.

YATittle1962
12-19-2011, 11:07 PM

BTW I'm a Nicks guy but my whole spiel is basically, if he wants to be considered as one of the very best at his position (thats Fitz/AJ/Megatron territory) he has to be more consistent in catching the ball.

Same goes for Cruz.

do you know the receiver and game im referring to

GiantWarfare
12-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Same goes for Cruz.

not sure, would guess TO

ny06
12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Have to make that catch..

YATittle1962
12-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Same goes for Cruz.

not sure, would guess TO

Jerry Rice...playoff game vs Giants

MattMeyerBud
12-19-2011, 11:26 PM

cris carter is a ****** and plenty of WRs have had drops like that - including Jerry Rice...

it was an awful drop but lets not be dramatic

GiantWarfare
12-19-2011, 11:30 PM

Same goes for Cruz.

not sure, would guess TO

lol had a gut feeling it would've been him but I went w/ TO.

I get your point...I do but all I'm saying is, too often for my tastes have I seen Nicks drop some rather routine catches and that he needs to limit that, especially in big-time moments.

Rice is considered the very best at his position because he had one of the best work ethics out there, and his mental focus was legendary. His desire to improve and fine tune his craft made up for whatever he lacked in the athleticism department. Rice was never considered the best out the very gate, he worked to earn that status.

So, sure Nicks can improve and become an elite receiver and I'm sure he has what it takes between the ears to do so, but I don't think he's elite yet, he's in the tier right under as of this moment.

We are speaking as of right now...who knows what the future holds.

I'm not that troll who called Nicks "incompetent" in another thread, just that he needs to be more consistent.

Is that not a valid remark?

EJ Blue
12-19-2011, 11:33 PM
if we had a TD for every BS excuse made this year we'd be world champions on February.

YATittle1962
12-19-2011, 11:37 PM

Same goes for Cruz.

not sure, would guess TO

lol had a gut feeling it would've been him but I went w/ TO.

I get your point...I do but all I'm saying is, too often for my tastes have I seen Nicks drop some rather routine catches and that he needs to limit that, especially in big-time moments.

Rice is considered the very best at his position because he had one of the best work ethics out there, and his mental focus was legendary. His desire to improve and fine tune his craft made up for whatever he lacked in the athleticism department. Rice was never considered the best out the very gate, he worked to earn that status.

So, sure Nicks can improve and become an elite receiver and I'm sure he has what it takes between the ears to do so, but I don't think he's elite yet, he's in the tier right under as of this moment.

We are speaking as of right now...who knows what the future holds.

I'm not that troll who called Nicks "incompetent" in another thread, just that he needs to be more consistent.

Is that not a valid remark?

valid

giantsfan420
12-20-2011, 12:01 AM
and lets be brutally honest here, keep in mind I am a HUGE Nicks fan and am aware WR's all have the occasional drop...that said, Nicks has made too many critical drops.

Him and MM both have dropped crucial passes too often to be labeled elite, imho.

This sunday aside, vs GB, the play before Tynes kicked that 50 yd FG I believe, on a 3rd down, eli placed a ball perfectly in between two defenders that hit Nicks in both hands w/o him making some acrobatic attempt. Like a drop he had yesterday on a corner route, he dropped it.

I'm sorry, but Nicks HAS to stop dropping some of these passes. Especially considering earlier in the week he was quoted as saying something like "I won't let Eli be in a situation like last year bc I will catch the passes." Well, you are an amazing WR and generally make the grabs, especially some amazing athletic ones like vs AZ or Dallas last year...BUT, on seemingly easier grabs that he's WIDE OPEN, Nicks does have a bad habit of not making the catch and even sometimes does but bobbles it and doesnt quite catch it cleanly, like the TD he had vs GB last year.

Also, don't forget that on one of the failed redzone attempts yesterday, he allowed a pass to go directly through his hands on one of those fade stop routes in the endzone.

As soon as Ballard and then Nicks dropped that pass, I literally looked to my dad who could sense my disgust and he went its ok theres plenty of time, to try and be a dad and make me feel better. But I told him, when the team and players start out like this, it ends in disaster and almost always a loss. I had a horrible gut feeling after that drop Nicks had early...Ballard drops early in the game seems to be a trigger effect for the entire team to start making drops.

I wont even get started on MM who also makes way too many drops on critical passes that should be relatively easy TDs

Out of Exile
12-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Thats total bs in a nutshell, that would have set a tempo for the rest of the game! sorry jack but you are WRONG! We could have built off that play, but the sun was actually in his eyes and we should have tried same play to other side of the field imo.

OMG, really? Are you a psychic? Get out of here with that garbage.

jomo
12-20-2011, 01:05 AM
I disagree about the impact on the game. If he makes that catch, he probably doesn't score but the game would have hung in the balance in the fourth quarter.</P>

As far as the sun goes, I looked at that immediately after the drop. The shadow coming off the bodies were directed to the home team flag in the corner of the end zone. Nick was between the hash marks. To say the sun was in play is, in a word, BS!</P>

</P>

netplus
12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Nicks has dropped 6 of 75 catchable balls this year for a 8% drop rate. Certainly not great (a 5% or less rate gets you in the top 9), but it is better than Wes Welker, Vincent Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Santonio Holmes, Dwayne Bowe, Anquan Boldin, Roddy White, Victor Cruz, Desean Jackson, and Brandon Marshall.

Morehead State
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I disagree about the impact on the game. If he makes that catch, he probably doesn't score but the game would have hung in the balance in the fourth quarter.</P>

As far as the sun goes, I looked at that immediately after the drop. The shadow coming off the bodies were directed to the home team flag in the corner of the end zone. Nick was between the hash marks. To say the sun was in play is, in a word, BS!</P>

</P>

</P>

Actually if you look at the shadows, the sun was directly in his line of sight. The first thing I thought when he dropped it was that he had to lose it in the sun.</P>

hadenough
12-21-2011, 12:32 PM

*</P>

</P>

Actually if you look at the shadows, the sun was directly in his line of sight.* The first thing I thought when he dropped it was that he had to lose it in the sun.</P>

I thought the same thing. Shadows were right in line with the sun.

So then comes the question.....this is your freakn home stadium. You should know where the sun is sitting during any game. So, why is the sometimes incompetent Gilbride throwing a deep pass into the sun. He needs to know that will be a difficult catch.

After the Giants played SF. I believe Nicks had a TD that was directly in the sun as well. Marriucci said on NFL network that.....that catch was extremely difficult because of where the sun sits on Candlestick at that time.

It appears Gilbride either doesn't care where the sun is or doesn't even notice where the sun is.

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM

*</P>

</P>

Actually if you look at the shadows, the sun was directly in his line of sight.* The first thing I thought when he dropped it was that he had to lose it in the sun.</P>

So then comes the question.....this is your freakn home stadium. You should know where the sun is sitting during any game. So, why is the sometimes incompetent Gilbride throwing a deep pass into the sun. He needs to know that will be a difficult catch.

After the Giants played SF. I believe Nicks had a TD that was directly in the sun as well. Marriucci said on NFL network that.....that catch was extremely difficult because of where the sun sits on Candlestick at that time.

It appears Gilbride either doesn't care where the sun is or doesn't even notice where the sun is.

why in the world do so many of you keep assuming that Gilbride is deciding where the ball goes.?

my goodness!!!!!!

I constantly hear.....wtf Gilbride its 3rd and short why are you throwing the ball deep?

does Gilbride have an XBOX controller where he has power over who Eli releases the ball to ?

folks......unless there is a designed screen called ELI!!!!!!!!!!! decides where the ball goes based on coverages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there may be.....for example.....a play designed to try to get Nicks open.....

does this mean Nicks will get the ball....?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

coverage dictates where the ball goes......NOT KEVIN GILBRIDE!!!!!!

oh and one last thing

if Eli is thinking about where the sun is setting before he throws a pass he should be hung in the village square and stabbed by the towns folk with kitchen knives

hadenough
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I disagree about the impact on the game. If he makes that catch, he probably doesn't score but the game would have hung in the balance in the fourth quarter.</p>

As far as the sun goes, I looked at that immediately after the drop. The shadow coming off the bodies were directed to the home team flag in the corner of the end zone. Nick was between the hash marks. To say the sun was in play is, in a word, BS!</p>

</p>

</p>

Actually if you look at the shadows, the sun was directly in his line of sight. The first thing I thought when he dropped it was that he had to lose it in the sun.</p>

why in the world do so many of you keep assuming that Gilbride is deciding where the ball goes.?

my goodness!!!!!!

I constantly hear.....wtf Gilbride its 3rd and short why are you throwing the ball deep?

does Gilbride have an XBOX controller where he has power over who Eli releases the ball to ?

folks......unless there is a designed screen called ELI!!!!!!!!!!! decides where the ball goes based on coverages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

oh and one last thing

if Eli is thinking about where the sun is setting before he throws a pass he should be hung in the village square and stabbed by the towns folk with kitchen knives

Yeah coverage decides it....but the play call is the play call. There is a number 1 read for everything. On that play....Nicks did not seem to be a 2nd read.

You're so confident that you are right on this...how do you know you're not wrong. If something is designed to go to Nicks as a #1 read and he's open and it's in the sun......that's Gilbride.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
The guy had a bad game. He wasn't the only one.

Jeez let it go already.

jjj45
12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
oh and one last thing

if Eli is thinking about where the sun is setting before he throws a pass he should be hung in the village square and stabbed by the towns folk with kitchen knivesHarsh.

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I disagree about the impact on the game. If he makes that catch, he probably doesn't score but the game would have hung in the balance in the fourth quarter.</p>

As far as the sun goes, I looked at that immediately after the drop. The shadow coming off the bodies were directed to the home team flag in the corner of the end zone. Nick was between the hash marks. To say the sun was in play is, in a word, BS!</p>

*</p>

</p>

Actually if you look at the shadows, the sun was directly in his line of sight.* The first thing I thought when he dropped it was that he had to lose it in the sun.</p>

my goodness!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

oh and one last thing

Yeah coverage decides it....but the play call is the play call.* There is a number 1 read for everything.* On that play....Nicks did not seem to be a 2nd read.

You're so confident that you are right on this...how do you know you're not wrong.* If something is designed to go to Nicks as a #1 read and he's open and it's in the sun......that's Gilbride. **

I wish i had a third hand so i could triple face palm this post

netplus
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Is it really necessary to re-quote these huge posts? It is just is a waste of space.

jjj45
12-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Is it really necessary to re-quote these huge posts? It is just is a waste of space.uh oh, the bandwidth police!

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Is it really necessary to re-quote these huge posts? It is just is a waste of space.

its posts like this that will induce constant quoting of extremely long posts around here

netplus
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM

its posts like this that will induce constant quoting of extremely long posts around here

That's real mature.

LT_Hits
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Thats total bs in a nutshell, that would have set a tempo for the rest of the game! sorry jack but you are WRONG! We could have built off that play, but the sun was actually in his eyes and we should have tried same play to other side of the field imo.I agree, that dropped killed all of the moentum created by a defense that made the INTs for the offense. This offense kills any kind of momentum provided from the D and this D is not that good to keep putting them on the field. Dropped passes, fumbles, INTs and the one I hate the most is the going for big pass plays with 3rd and 2 when all we need to do is convert with a short high percentage run or pass play. It kills me that Eli or KG does not have that in mind. Or the real killer is on first and goal to go, we pass; its incomplete; we run, then pass that silly fade route EVERYBODY knows is coming. Plus the Nicks or Mario drops is killing us too. All in all, this D is not that good with Ross and co. in the secondary, but thay come up sometimes and the offense cant keep going 3 and out consistently.

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 01:38 PM

That's real mature.

nothing about being mature....its a fact

you say something like that around here and folks will do all they can to make sure they do exactly what you said should not be done

and I actually think its kinda funny

this is why you should simply post and not try to be the MB police

netplus
12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
"you say something like that around here and folks will do all they can to make sure they do exactly what you said should not be done
"
Isn't it the job of moderators like yourself to cleanup that stuff?

LT_Hits
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
and lets be brutally honest here, keep in mind I am a HUGE Nicks fan and am aware WR's all have the occasional drop...that said, Nicks has made too many critical drops.

Him and MM both have dropped crucial passes too often to be labeled elite, imho.

This sunday aside, vs GB, the play before Tynes kicked that 50 yd FG I believe, on a 3rd down, eli placed a ball perfectly in between two defenders that hit Nicks in both hands w/o him making some acrobatic attempt. Like a drop he had yesterday on a corner route, he dropped it.

I'm sorry, but Nicks HAS to stop dropping some of these passes. Especially considering earlier in the week he was quoted as saying something like "I won't let Eli be in a situation like last year bc I will catch the passes." Well, you are an amazing WR and generally make the grabs, especially some amazing athletic ones like vs AZ or Dallas last year...BUT, on seemingly easier grabs that he's WIDE OPEN, Nicks does have a bad habit of not making the catch and even sometimes does but bobbles it and doesnt quite catch it cleanly, like the TD he had vs GB last year.

Also, don't forget that on one of the failed redzone attempts yesterday, he allowed a pass to go directly through his hands on one of those fade stop routes in the endzone.

As soon as Ballard and then Nicks dropped that pass, I literally looked to my dad who could sense my disgust and he went its ok theres plenty of time, to try and be a dad and make me feel better. But I told him, when the team and players start out like this, it ends in disaster and almost always a loss. I had a horrible gut feeling after that drop Nicks had early...Ballard drops early in the game seems to be a trigger effect for the entire team to start making drops.

I wont even get started on MM who also makes way too many drops on critical passes that should be relatively easy TDsWell said, I see it the same way. And with the way our defense is playing, we need to make the catches we can make, especially when the ball is arriving and hitting them in their hands almost perfectly in stride or position.

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 01:46 PM
"you say something like that around here and folks will do all they can to make sure they do exactly what you said should not be done
"
Isn't it the job of moderators like yourself to cleanup that stuff?

nope

no rules being broken

thats why the quote button is there

Marvelousmik
12-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Same goes for Cruz.

not sure, would guess TO

you cant defend nicks or cruz on this one im sorry. there is no excuse for their lack of consistency catching the football. they are both talented but very unreliable. You never know when they will drop the easy one.

Im cool with dropped passes here and there. they're all human. But on a consistent basis they drop EASY passes. It happens to often. We will never win that way because when that happens eli starts forcing passes and it leads to turnovers. There is no excuses for these dropped passes. There is no WR on this team that can really catch the ball good.

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 01:54 PM

Same goes for Cruz.

not sure, would guess TO

you cant defend nicks or cruz on this one im sorry. there is no excuse for their lack of consistency catching the football. they are both talented but very unreliable. You never know when they will drop the easy one.

Im cool with dropped passes here and there. they're all human. But on a consistent basis they drop EASY passes. It happens to often. We will never win that way because when that happens eli starts forcing passes and it leads to turnovers. There is no excuses for these dropped passes. There is no WR on this team that can really catch the ball good.

not defending anyone

simply debunking the statement made that elite receivers dont drop balls

and Nicks and Cruz have made some amazing catches.

Im not mad at them

Marvelousmik
12-21-2011, 01:59 PM

So then comes the question.....this is your freakn home stadium. You should know where the sun is sitting during any game. So, why is the sometimes incompetent Gilbride throwing a deep pass into the sun.

I feel you man. you know what pissed me off about Gilbride? One of the defenders had a cold that day. as an NFC E opponent you should know some of the tendencies by now on who gets sick around December. But no. Gilbride is too dumb to pay attention.

Marvelousmik
12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
not defending anyone

simply debunking the statement made that elite receivers dont drop balls

and Nicks and Cruz have made some amazing catches.

Im not mad at them

I thought the same thing at first.

When cruz first started dropping passes i said to myself im not mad at you man. you made so many big plays for us when we needed it. after the 2 huge drops last week things changed for me. Every game we go into you can pretty much bet 100 dollars on 2 things and be guaranteed to win your money.

1. We will run the draw play.
2. cruz will drop a catchable pass.

Thats not good. I dont care how many big plays you make for us, if you average 1 drop a game in a critical situation, then you arent helping the team much. I like cruz a lot, but the drops has gone a little too far. Elite recievers drop passes, but not consistently.

The only person on this team who has room for error right now is JPP. cruz and nicks has lost that in my opinion.

Gianthunter
12-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Isn't Gilbride responsible for the lack of dividers in the urinals also.

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM

of course he is

get rid of this guy already.....Im tired of paying $9.50 per beer

Redeyejedi
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Same goes for Cruz.

not sure, would guess TO

Your right that Eli statrts to force things when that happens.U better believe he was pissed when Nicks and Cruz didnt make those plays.Thats why that ball got thrown to Ware

Gianthunter
12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Isn't Gilbride responsible for the lack of dividers in the urinals also. of course he is get rid of this guy already.....Im tired of paying $9.50 per beerYou would think for that price Gilbride could put the sun where he wanted it. Da Bum

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Isn't Gilbride responsible for the lack of dividers in the urinals also. of course he is get rid of this guy already.....Im tired of paying $9.50 per beerYou would think for that price Gilbride could put the sun where he wanted it. Da Bum

if I dont see a sundial on the Giants sidelines this weekend Im turning in my season tickets

yatitle
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM

You also would be within reason to blame Gilbride for global warming, the recession and Paris Hilton.

Gianthunter
12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Isn't Gilbride responsible for the lack of dividers in the urinals also. of course he is get rid of this guy already.....Im tired of paying $9.50 per beerYou would think for that price Gilbride could put the sun where he wanted it. Da Bum if I dont see a sundial on the Giants sidelines this weekend Im turning in my season ticketsIs it true that the last page of the Giants playbook is a Solunar Table?

hadenough
12-21-2011, 03:05 PM

So then comes the question.....this is your freakn home stadium. You should know where the sun is sitting during any game. So, why is the sometimes incompetent Gilbride throwing a deep pass into the sun.

I feel you man. you know what pissed me off about Gilbride? One of the defenders had a cold that day. as an NFC E opponent you should know some of the tendencies by now on who gets sick around December. But no. Gilbride is too dumb to pay attention.

It's no different than knowing which player is hurt and going after him. Or Peyton Manning reading the Giants line-up before a game and seeing that have not dressed their tackles. Or Parcells knowing which way the wind blew in the 4th quarter. They are minor details but important details that make the difference between a good coach and an average coach. Or make the difference between a dropped ball and a touchdown. Everything should be taken into consideration.

netplus
12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
They are minor details but important details that make the difference between a good coach and an average coach.* Or make the difference between a dropped ball and a touchdown.* Everything should be taken into consideration.

I couldn't agree more. The wind is considered in play calling decisions. Why shouldn't the sun be too?

Coughlin said: "With the sun shining bright before Sunday's game, Manning and Giants head coach Tom Coughlin preached to the receivers that they needed to be aware that the sun would be a factor. They told the receivers that they needed to make sure that they looked the ball all the way through on their catches."

Nicks said he saw the ball, but then it disappeared for a second and he had bad hand placement for it;

Coughlin still expects them to catch it. Maybe he should have preached to Gilbride instead.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1218/ny_u_nicks_cr_576.jpg

RoanokeFan
12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
I saw a film clip yesterday of that play an the ball actually hit his face mask before he got his hands on the ball.

RoanokeFan
12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I saw a film clip of that play yesterday and the ball actually hit his face mask before he got his hands on it.

embeshAtYa
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
he catches that ball, we could have smashed the skins and non of this other talk is going on. same stuff. guy making plays all over the field and cant put it all together.