PDA

View Full Version : Fewell's 2010 Defence was Ranked 7th in the League

GiantFanatic55
12-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Why such the big drop off?

It's the same system as last year...the only difference is the personnel in the system

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>
310.8 total yards/game Rank: 7th
209.5 passing yards/game Rank: 9th
101.2 rushing yards/game Rank:8th

<u>2011</u>
385.1 total yards/game Rank: 29th
passing yards/game Rank: 29th
127.6 rushing yards/game Rank: 22nd

Main differences in personnel from 2010 to this season:

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
3.Rolle playing more CB than Safety
4.No Cofield at DT

Now i'm not giving Fewell a pass by any means, but imo not having those 4 key players on the field/playing natural position is the reason why our defense is so poor this year. Thoughts? Opinions?

Vtgmenfan89
12-19-2011, 11:51 PM
He has certainly been a lot less aggressive which has been very irritated. I mean his gameplans for Vick and Brady were fantastic and we played great those games, but pretty much all of the other ones have been super conservative and have simply not worked. I don't know why he changed it so much. Other teams don't change that much when injuries happen to their players, they just expect the next guy up to execute. Which makes a hell of a lot more sense than blowing things up and making everyone do something different. He's been extremely incompetent this year with scheming and playcalling more often than not.

Anybody watching MNF? Why can't our goddamn teams tackle like this? I sometimes really don't get it. It's probably the most important fundamental on defense.

WMBG
12-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Excellent post to give us some perspective on Fewell. Our D has been horrendous, but I dare say any team that has to field a bunch of rookies at positions where communication is vital will suffer. Our roster severely limits what Fewell can do (blitz and blown up for big plays, don't blitz and get picked apart).

Give the guy a real shot with a real roster before crucifying him. Even if he's not an elite coordinator, his past history suggests that he is nowhere near as bad as our current season might indicate.

YATittle1962
12-19-2011, 11:57 PM
also had a healthy Tuck and healthy Osi all season...

and I dont underestimate the loss of depth guys like Bruce Johnson, Witherspoon, Coe, and our first round pick for most of the season

GiantFanatic55
12-20-2011, 12:02 AM

and I dont underestimate the loss of depth guys like Bruce Johnson, Witherspoon, Coe, and our first round pick for most of the season

Yep, Osi and Tuck combined for 23 Sacks and 16 FF last year...we are missing that rush big time even with JPP

Plus last year KP wasnt 100% recovered from his surgery and Kiwi only played 3 games and we still got it done defensively

Just goes to show how vital the pass rush is in determining the success of our D and this year we just dont have it

fewellmustgo
12-20-2011, 12:47 AM
If you add JPP sacks in we are down only 4 sacks from last years total from them 3. I feel we are doing more 3 man rush this year. Last year our front 4 played so good it hid Fewells bad play calling. Read and react is not the defense we should be running with these lbs. Read and react you want more experienced lb. Plus I'm not a fan of read and react defense anyway. I like to make the offense react to what I'm doing.

timmytimm3
12-20-2011, 09:14 AM

and Goff. He was pretty good against the run and got guys lined up. His drops were also looking pretty good in preseason.

Captain Chaos
12-20-2011, 09:48 AM
It's not 2010...

Kruunch
12-20-2011, 09:55 AM

It's the same system as last year...the only difference is the personnel in the system

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>
310.8 total yards/game********* Rank: 7th
209.5 passing yards/game* ** Rank: 9th
101.2 rushing yards/game*** * Rank:*8th

<u>2011</u>
385.1 total yards/game***** *** Rank: 29th
passing yards/game**** Rank: 29th
127.6 rushing yards/game***** Rank: 22nd

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
4.No Cofield at DT

Now i'm not giving Fewell a pass by any means, but imo not having those 4 key players on the field/playing natural position is the reason why our defense is so poor this year. Thoughts? Opinions?

Dude we played FOUR teams last year with a winning record (in 5 games).

Of those 5, games against teams with winning records we gave up 151 points. That's over 30 points a game.

And the only reason it's not more is because we beat Chicago 17-3 (of the "We couldn't figure out our offensive line and gave up 10 sacks that game" Chicacgo).

Fewell sucked last year too ... and he was HANDED a cake schedule.

Or did we forget that utter catastrophe of an Eagles game already (either of them)?

MattMeyerBud
12-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>

<u>2011</u>

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
4.No Cofield at DT

im going to rework this for you:

1. No 12 strip sacks from Osi to cover up a ton
2. No T2
3. Tuck not being 100%
4. Rolle playing out of position
5. No Goff

Kruunch
12-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>

<u>2011</u>

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
4.No Cofield at DT

2. No T2
3. Tuck not being 100%
5. No Goff

Oh stop... your lack of football knowledge is actually painful to watch.

MattMeyerBud
12-20-2011, 10:03 AM
lol

hows that GB draft workin for ya

Tony Bruno
12-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Truth is he is dealing with basically backups and we all know the they are not better than the starters or they would be the starters... There may be 1 or 2 guys that perform better but not all of them..

Tony Bruno
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>

<u>2011</u>

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
4.No Cofield at DT

2. No T2
3. Tuck not being 100%
5. No Goff

Oh stop... your lack of football knowledge is actually painful to watch.

Ive noticed that everyone this board has no football clue accorinding to you...

NYSPORTS
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Pretty easy schedule last year too.

Let's not forget the stupid scheme against Indy with one DT dressed, a row of DE's and no linebackers.

Let's not also forget the 8 min left in the Philly game when he took 3 DE's and put them all out of position. (Tuck and Osi dropped into coverage with JPP playing DT for two straight series)

dezzzR
12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I think those numbers are very misleading. Without question they were better last year but the Giants still gave up the big plays. The pass rush was much better and healthier and it seems to me Fewell blitzed more last year.

dezzzR
12-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>

<u>2011</u>

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
4.No Cofield at DT

Of those 5, games against teams with winning records we gave up 151 points. That's over 30 points a game.

And the only reason it's not more is because we beat Chicago 17-3 (of the "We couldn't figure out our offensive line and gave up 10 sacks that game" Chicacgo).

Or did we forget that utter catastrophe of an Eagles game already (either of them)?good post.

JMFP2
12-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Sheridan had the #13 ranked defense in the NFL, and was fired in his first season.

Since Spags has left, this defense has imposed it will on no one.

There isn't a single QB that cannot pick apart this guy's schemes. His players are more confused about what he's doing than the opponent. There isn't a 3rd down that cannot be made against him.

I'll say that injuries are an issue. But that holds true for the rest of the NFL. Someone explain to me how a banged up Redskin offensive line managed to dominate time of position, and pretty much score at will in the 1st half?

Rex Grossman.....70 QB Rating, but 2-0 against the Giants.

3rd and 17....rushes 3. That was the final straw for me.

Time to get coordinator that preaches disruption, not reaction.

galaxy10
12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Sheridan had the #13 ranked defense in the NFL, and was fired in his first season.

Since Spags has left, this defense has imposed it will on no one.

There isn't a single QB that cannot pick apart this guy's schemes. His players are more confused about what he's doing than the opponent. There isn't a 3rd down that cannot be made against him.

I'll say that injuries are an issue. But that holds true for the rest of the NFL. Someone explain to me how a banged up Redskin offensive line managed to dominate time of position, and pretty much score at will in the 1st half?

Time to get coordinator that preaches disruption, not reaction.

Totally agree. I am hoping we get a new coordinator next year.

JJC7301
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Pretty easy schedule last year too. Let's not forget the stupid scheme against Indy with one DT dressed, a row of DE's and no linebackers. Let's not also forget the 8 min left in the Philly game when he took 3 DE's and put them all out of position. (Tuck and Osi dropped into coverage with JPP playing DT for two straight series)</P>

+1. Everyone recognizes that the defense is depleted of talent, but even last year when being ranked # 7 overall and killing QBs all over the place, they still let up 3rd-and-longs and were responsible for the Philly debacle. They were not a shut down defense, except against mediocre / bad teams. I don't think Fewell is terrible (regardless of how much I lambast him), but just being better than Sheridan doesn't cut it either. Quite frankly, this team needs an infusion of attitude -- not just new coaches. </P>

I think new attitude and talent are actually more important than getting new coaches.</P>

JJC7301
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Sheridan had the #13 ranked defense in the NFL, and was fired in his first season. Since Spags has left, this defense has imposed it will on no one. There isn't a single QB that cannot pick apart this guy's schemes. His players are more confused about what he's doing than the opponent. There isn't a 3rd down that cannot be made against him. I'll say that injuries are an issue. But that holds true for the rest of the NFL. Someone explain to me how a banged up Redskin offensive line managed to dominate time of position, and pretty much score at will in the 1st half? Rex Grossman.....70 QB Rating, but 2-0 against the Giants. 3rd and 17....rushes 3. That was the final straw for me. Time to get coordinator that preaches disruption, not reaction.</P>

"Time to get coordinator that preaches disruption, not reaction." +1,000
</P>

JMFP2
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Pretty easy schedule last year too. Let's not forget the stupid scheme against Indy with one DT dressed, a row of DE's and no linebackers. Let's not also forget the 8 min left in the Philly game when he took 3 DE's and put them all out of position. (Tuck and Osi dropped into coverage with JPP playing DT for two straight series)</P>

+1.* Everyone recognizes that the defense is depleted of talent, but even last year when being ranked # 7 overall and killing QBs all over the place, they still let up 3rd-and-longs and were responsible for the Philly debacle.* They were not a shut down defense, except against mediocre / bad teams.* I don't think Fewell is terrible (regardless of how much I lambast him), but just being better than Sheridan doesn't cut it either.* Quite frankly, this team needs an infusion of attitude -- not just new coaches.* </P>

I think new attitude and talent are actually more important than getting new coaches.</P>

I thnk it's arguable now whether Fewell is better than Sheridan.

MattMeyerBud
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>

<u>2011</u>

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
4.No Cofield at DT

Or did we forget that utter catastrophe of an Eagles game already (either of them)?good post.

it is but its baffling he would say that to essentially agree with me and then try and talk junk to me. amazing

giantsfan39
12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Who cares about yards? Points are what matter. And we were 17th in points last year I believe.

NYGFaninILL
12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Who cares about yards? Points are what matter. And we were 17th in points last year I believe.

Still better then the 28th we are now

NYG 5
12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Hey, deon grant makes that sack, game over

Defense prevents that slow *** celek from getting a walk in td, games over

Team has a brain and prepares for the onside, game over

Offense stays on the field, game over

That was a defensive gameplan that worked great for 3 quarters, then fate shovels **** in the giants face.

But he does doo too many gimmicky things like dropping the best pass rushers in coverage. Only works if you have good linebackers, and the offense throws to the backs a lot, or the qb is braindead, like when strahan got that pick six

Kase-1
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Biggest difference between this season and last has to be the fact that we lost our #2 cb (who was close to being our #1) in T2, we lost our MIKE LB in Goff, who was ALSO our best run stopper by far in addition to being our on field DC. If you dont think he would have helped clear up this on the field lack of communication we have been seeing week in and week out you're nuts

People might point to Barry Cofield DDS leaving, but Linval Joesph who filled Cofields role is having almost an identical season to Barry's 2010year, if not a better season

Oh yea Rolle playing CB every 3rd play doesnt help either

sharick88
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Lets look at the stats:

<u>2010</u>

<u>2011</u>

1.No Goff at MLB
2.No T2
4.No Cofield at DT

Or did we forget that utter catastrophe of an Eagles game already (either of them)?

You beat me to it. Even in the games against "cupcake" teams this year, this defense was obliterated. When Rex Grossman and Vince Young have their way against you, there's a problem.

sharick88
12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Biggest difference between this season and last has to be the fact that we lost our #2 cb (who was close to being our #1) in T2, we lost our MIKE LB in Goff, who was ALSO our best run stopper by far in addition to being our on field DC.* If you dont think he would have helped clear up this on the field lack of communication we have been seeing week in and week out you're nuts

People might point to Barry Cofield DDS leaving, but Linval Joesph who filled Cofields role is having almost an identical season to Barry's 2010year, if not a better season

Oh yea Rolle playing CB every 3rd play doesnt help either

I feel you about the injuries, but this Fewell guy is not utilizing this team's resources. Boley and Kiwanuka decent passrushing LB's, yet they are out there sitting in zone virtually all damn game long. Rushing 4 is cool if it actually works. QB's have all day because the passrush is totally AWOL. Rex Grossman has time to have a beer, flip a few channels, go use the restroom, and go get another beer out of the fridge before a giants defender can get even remotely close to him. Fewell is a damn fool if you ask me. My brother, a diehard Bills fan, thanked us for taking him off of their hands.

burier
12-20-2011, 01:57 PM
this year is nothing like last year because PF is being too cautious.

His first year here he was more or less an extention of Spags Philosophy of creating long down and distance and make the QB eat dirt.

He's now adopted a philosophy of let the team move the ball down the field and hopefully they throw a pick or fumble the ball. If we get them in Long yardage play 8 man coverage and hope this forced an underneath throw and we can come up and takle.

There's no aggression on defense from a scheme perspective.

When spags was here the scheme was aggresive so the players were aggressive.

The old Tampa 2 as run by Tampa Bay (Which is basically cover 3) was aggressive because it was predicated on disloging the ball with crushing hits which the NFL no longer allow thus making Man coverage and Zone Blitzes the only way to play defense anymore.

Fewell Plays Zone with a 3 man rush and loses time and time again.

Was Terrel Thomas and John Goff the best Corner/backer in league. I'd guess so because they got hurt and suddenly our entire scheme changed.

Kruunch
12-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Sheridan had the #13 ranked defense in the NFL, and was fired in his first season. Since Spags has left, this defense has imposed it will on no one. There isn't a single QB that cannot pick apart this guy's schemes. His players are more confused about what he's doing than the opponent. There isn't a 3rd down that cannot be made against him. I'll say that injuries are an issue. But that holds true for the rest of the NFL. Someone explain to me how a banged up Redskin offensive line managed to dominate time of position, and pretty much score at will in the 1st half? Rex Grossman.....70 QB Rating, but 2-0 against the Giants. 3rd and 17....rushes 3. That was the final straw for me. Time to get coordinator that preaches disruption, not reaction.</P>

"Time to get coordinator that preaches disruption, not reaction." +1,000*
</P>

+1,000,000

If you're going to go down, might as well go down swinging.

elifan10
12-20-2011, 04:06 PM
No one will ever win a Superbowl with Fewell as their DC. We need Spags back desperately.