PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Giants Mock Drafr Rounds 1-7

teaneck
11-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum but I'm quite aware of the current state of the Giants. Much of my interest lies in the front-office decision makings and how Jerry Reese selects players. That being said I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think our 2013 draft will look like.

I will post my mock draft shortly.

Assumptions:

We select 32nd overall (not saying we're going to win the SB this year but it's a good way to keep our predictions constant)
Free Agents Reese resigns before the draft: Cruz, Boothe, Rivers, Brown, Pascoe, Bennett, Carr, Tynes, Blackburn, A. Brown, Tracy
The Giants don't make any deals for Free Agents prior to the draft
Free Agents Reese releases: Barden, Bernard, Coe, Phillips, Hixon, Osi, Tryon, Cordle

These assumptions may seem arbitrary but I think that they will play an important role in the combination of need/best player mentality that we have been utilizing since Reese became our GM.

alentown pa
11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum but I'm quite aware of the current state of the Giants. Much of my interest lies in the front-office decision makings and how Jerry Reese selects players. That being said I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think our 2013 draft will look like.

I will post my mock draft shortly.

Assumptions:

We select 32nd overall (not saying we're going to win the SB this year but it's a good way to keep our predictions constant)
Free Agents Reese resigns before the draft: Cruz, Boothe, Rivers, Brown, Pascoe, Bennett, Carr, Tynes, Blackburn, A. Brown, Tracy
The Giants don't make any deals for Free Agents prior to the draft
Free Agents Reese releases: Barden, Bernard, Coe, Phillips, Hixon, Osi, Tryon, Cordle

These assumptions may seem arbitrary but I think that they will play an important role in the combination of need/best player mentality that we have been utilizing since Reese became our GM.

you seem to have a real grasp for this..Im interested to see who you have them taking...are you going to say who they will pick or what positions they will select? I think they go DE or CB in the 1st

Flip Empty
There's a dedicated sub-forum for this http://boards.giants.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Members-Mock-Drafts

Rudyy
Nice name, that's my hometown!

and I usually pay attention to mocks after the SB since we don't know how we are going to end up.

Eliscruzzz
11-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I want to see who you have us taking in rounds 1-7

Buddy333
11-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Tuck and Osi have been invisible. They need a DE.

teaneck
11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Tuck and Osi have been invisible. They need a DE.

Agreed, we will still have Tuck next year, Kiwi, JPP, Tracy, and Ojomo, I think if we picked one up in the later rounds we will be okay. Osi is gone after this year. More importantly than our DE's though might be our DT's while being able to get to the QB is a great luxury that we have become accustomed to, we need to work on our run defense too. Canty has been great since he has been back, Joseph has been solid all year, behind him we have a huge experiment in Kuhn and a huge disappointment in Austin.

As for the other comments, I'm still reading up, watching college and professional tape to work on a draft. While I do like to wait for the SB to make my final predictions I love speculating over stuff like this.

teaneck
11-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm going to respond to this and say that positions would be the best and most accurate way to predict a draft right now. But CFB is far enough into the season to see developed players who will be entering the draft.

I think it will be a huge mistake to select a DE or a CB in the first, Reese likes his long term experiments. Why not protect our most valuable asset in Manning and draft a lineman in the first? Our O-line is old. I lose sleep at night thinking about how Manning will last 10 more years without a solid line to throw behind.

NYGfanNC
11-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Alex Okafor DE from Texas
Dion Jordan DE Oregon

teaneck
11-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Alex Okafor DE from Texas
Dion Jordan DE Oregon

Great players, they have played against great offensive linemen. But I'm going with Barrett Jones (OG) out of Alabama. He is smart, versatile, and he has played against huge interior linemen in the SEC. If the Giants draft at 32, he will be the best player available. He would make a great addition to an ailing offensive line.

teaneck
11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Here is my 2013 Mock Draft for the NY Giants

1. Barrett Jones, Offensive Guard, Alabama
2. Ezekiel Anzah, DE, BYU
3. Cornelius Washington, OLB, GA
4. Alex Hurst, OT, LSU (If he drops this low)
5. Brandon McGee, CB, Miami
6. Dustin Harris, CB, A&M

I'm still looking for somebody to fulfill my 7th rounder. While these players are not super stars, they are solid players who have played in solid leagues. I think that this will also have some sort of moneyball effect that will help Reese keep his veterans.

nycsportzfan
11-12-2012, 01:35 AM
U forgot to put David Diehl on the players reese says peace out 2..lol Unless coughlin has his way, then he might just get started at LT all next yr.lol j/k.

I think we could go many diffrent ways as of now.. In no order, Oline, S, DE, DT, TE all come to mind.. Its gonna come down to value i believe...

Cloud57
11-12-2012, 01:41 AM

I'm still looking for somebody to fulfill my 7th rounder. While these players are not super stars, they are solid players who have played in solid leagues. I think that this will also have some sort of moneyball effect that will help Reese keep his veterans. I was thinking all defensive players too but right now it looks like we also need some offensive weapons like a TE or a 3rd WR who is physical and has speed.

GiantRoc
11-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Don't know who yet, but immediate needs are O-line and ILB. How about 2 each in the first 4 rounds.

BlueSanta
11-19-2012, 03:53 PM
It is a tougher call, but I also think you have to look at the players who are not free agents who will be let go. We have a few guys with paychecks who arent earning them.

Guys who may be in jeopordy depending on the draft:
Antrel Rolle - does some good things but is paid to do great things.
Cris Canty - does not play enough to earn his enormous contract.
Cweb - He is making pro bowl type money and has had a horrible season.

These are the 3 highest paid players on defense. I do not think their play has justified their contracts.

I really believe we will see more roster shakeups this offseason than we have in a while. Some long time true Giant players who contributed to 1 or both of our recent Superbowls are not going to be with the team next season.

teaneck
11-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I think we will end up keeping CC and AR, because our alternatives to AR as of now are Tyler Sash, I dont know about you but im not too confident in TS's durability, leadership, or play making ability, we wil probably let go of KP as we have SB and WH as cheap, more effective backups.

Back ups to CC are LJ, RB, MK, MA. Kuhn is old, raw, and currently injured, Austin is just injured, injured, injured, and injured, Bernard will probably retire at the end of the season as this is his 13th NFL season and LJ is a solid solid solid player. So realistically we only have CC and LJ with two raw, inexperienced backups.

CWEB is having a bad year, hes solid, and if he's willing to restructure then yes we will keep him

Don't forget that we will hopefully be getting TT back at 100% next season.

BlueSanta
11-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I think we will end up keeping CC and AR, because our alternatives to AR as of now are Tyler Sash, I dont know about you but im not too confident in TS's durability, leadership, or play making ability, we wil probably let go of KP as we have SB and WH as cheap, more effective backups.

Back ups to CC are LJ, RB, MK, MA. Kuhn is old, raw, and currently injured, Austin is just injured, injured, injured, and injured, Bernard will probably retire at the end of the season as this is his 13th NFL season and LJ is a solid solid solid player. So realistically we only have CC and LJ with two raw, inexperienced backups.

CWEB is having a bad year, hes solid, and if he's willing to restructure then yes we will keep him

Don't forget that we will hopefully be getting TT back at 100% next season.

A few points. It is HIGHLY doubtfull TT comes back next year for a couple reasons:

1) no player in NFL history has continued to play after 3 surgeries of that magnitude to the same knee.

2) His contract was restructured so that this year was a test to see if he could stay healthy on his 2x surgically repaired knee. He earned about $1 mil. This offseason, prior to his knee being fully healed the Giants are due to pay him a $6 million bonus on top of his ~$2.5 mil salary. there is no way we are going to commit to pay him $8+ million befire we even see if he can play again in the NFL. The only way he stays with the team is if he is cut, then resigned for MUCH less.

3) Assuming he comes back despite the above reasons, he will absolutely have lost speed and quickness. He will have no played football for 2 years and is unlikely to ever play Corner again. He MIGHT be a safety in the league, but that is a tough call to ask someone to change positions after 2 years away from the game.

I also think it highly unlikely Sash would be Rolle's backup and not Brown or Hill. I am not advocating getting rid of him, I am just saying he has not earned his paycheck this year.

CC is another story. His paycheck is WAY too high for his number of snaps played. He is playing less than 30 snaps a game, not even counting all the games he has missed. That is entirely too few snaps for $6.25 mil for the year.

teaneck
11-22-2012, 02:35 AM
If we were to cut TT, and CC we would have to commit to our nascar package for a while because I don't really see any long term DT solutions in any of our current players and we need to address other needs in this years draft, if we don't take an O-lineman in the first 2 rounds this year I will see 2013's draft as a failure. we have great great weapons in DW and AB X 2 but we're not giving them any help on the front.

juice33s
11-24-2012, 06:44 PM

I'm still looking for somebody to fulfill my 7th rounder. While these players are not super stars, they are solid players who have played in solid leagues. I think that this will also have some sort of moneyball effect that will help Reese keep his veterans.
Noway will Ansah be around for our 2nd pick, the guys too big, too strong and too fast not to go much higher.....Infact, you heard here first, Ezekiel Ansah will be a top 15 pick

BlueSanta
11-24-2012, 07:05 PM
If we were to cut TT, and CC we would have to commit to our nascar package for a while because I don't really see any long term DT solutions in any of our current players and we need to address other needs in this years draft, if we don't take an O-lineman in the first 2 rounds this year I will see 2013's draft as a failure. we have great great weapons in DW and AB X 2 but we're not giving them any help on the front.

We may not have to cut TT. I think he will have a hard time passing the physical. I do agree we need Oline this year, but only if a good 1 is available. We cant reach for it. Imho tho it is a big enough need to warrant a trade if necesary

teaneck
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I dont think we will need to trade for it. I like Richarson out of Baylor, we can get him in the second, maybe third. and we can easily get Barrett out of Bama in the first, hes kind of likea Diehl in my opinion. But a lot smarter, and much better. I hope hope hope we are able to make room avaliable to sign Sebastian Volmer. Immediately our O-line would be amazing with those three players. We would have to make huge changes, like I dont see TT coming back due to physical concerns and webster may even be cut or restructured at the end of the year. The main thing is Cruz's contract, we need to know how much cap room that will eat up.

GOBLUE24
11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
I doubt Rolle is going anywhere but maybe a restructure. I think the same with CC as no real replacement on the roster. C web needs to restructure or out the door he goes. No Im not a bama fan actually Michigan just looks like it

Barrett Jones ot/ Warmack og /Williams dt
Matt Elam ss/ Desmond Trufant cb/ William Gholston de
Sean Porter OLB/ Bacari Rambo s/ Hill Dt

teaneck
12-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I dont think we will be able to pick up warmack, hes going pretty early. If JR was going to make any moves it would probably be for a high profile linebacker.

Bacari Rambo is getting a lot of buzz around here, I hvaent seen any film but from what people are saying hes a natural ball hawk,