PDA

View Full Version : How can some of these players live with themselves?

FlyingTruck
11-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Am I the only one who's ever thought that? Like is there something within them that says "I'm the best. No one is better than me at my position." Or, do they realize that they have been sucking lately and that there is a better player sitting on the bench?

I'm mainly talking about Diehl here. He obviously knows he's getting beat play after play. I wonder if he says to himself, "oh well, I'm getting paid and I know I won't be benched anyway." Or how about Rolle? I don't mind the **** talking, but at what point does he realize "I should probably tone it back some, considering that I'm not doing a good job lately?"

I just don't get it with some of these players. From rookies, sure, but from SB winning veterans?

Cloud57
11-12-2012, 02:56 AM
When your job is secure it doesn't matter because at the end of the day you still get a paycheck. This doesn't apply to just football players

BlueBlooded1979
11-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Millions in their pockets at the end of the day make it easier. Fans care a lot more then they do about winning and losing.

Buddy333
11-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Money.

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 07:43 AM
We make sure they don't have to eat at Burger King or live in rent controlled apartments. It's just a job to them.

If you work on an assembly line in Detroit and you make a mistake all day long for just one day on installing seats and those mistakes result in a recall costing million, you're still coming back in the next day.

That may not be the best analogy but they all got a game check yesterday. Some of those checks would support a normal middle class family for years.

giantyankee1976
11-12-2012, 08:06 AM
When your job is secure it doesn't matter because at the end of the day you still get a paycheck. This doesn't apply to just football players

this

Millions in their pockets at the end of the day make it easier. Fans care a lot more then they do about winning and losing.

this

Money.

this

We make sure they don't have to eat at Burger King or live in rent controlled apartments...

this

4 for 4 in responses !!!

bench 66, split more time between 44 and 35, re-invent the wheel: ergo Balance the O

shore up Perry Sheridan Lewis' leaky diaper D

aggghhh, and someone silly slap Eli

Giantslb66
11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Because in the end fans care MORE than the players do!

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Because in the end fans care MORE than the players do!

I'm not sure that's true but we are sure more emotional about it. We identify ourselves with the team and the only way to show that is through reacting to what happens on the field. We wear their "colors", we put license plates on our cars that are team related, we make man caves devoted to the team, etc. We invest a great deal into the team and we want, demand, a return on that investment.

Some days it's peanuts, some days it's shells.

giantyankee1976
11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure that's true but we are sure more emotional about it. We identify ourselves with the team and the only way to show that is through reacting to what happens on the field. We wear their "colors", we put license plates on our cars that are team related, we make man caves devoted to the team, etc. We invest a great deal into the team and we want, demand, a return on that investment.

Some days it's peanuts, some days it's shells.

my goodness you really are one of the best posters on these nutty boards, no pun intended. Bottomline, we are the saps that get all wrapped up in our Team and take the L's possibly more to heart than the professionals do.

Maybe at surface value, we're crazy, but damn it all that's why we're called fan-atics. (no I am not ranting or trying to come off negative towards you RF, just writing my mind so to speak)

Captain Chaos
11-12-2012, 09:02 AM
this

this

this

this

4 for 4 in responses !!!

bench 66, split more time between 44 and 35, re-invent the wheel: ergo Balance the O

shore up Perry Sheridan Lewis' leaky diaper D

aggghhh, and someone silly slap Eli

Perry Sheridan....I'm dying over here!!!!!!!

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 09:04 AM
my goodness you really are one of the best posters on these nutty boards, no pun intended. Bottomline, we are the saps that get all wrapped up in our Team and take the L's possibly more to heart than the professionals do.

Maybe at surface value, we're crazy, but damn it all that's why we're called fan-atics. (no I am not ranting or trying to come off negative towards you RF, just writing my mind so to speak)

What makes us "crazy" is we keep coming back year after year no matter what. And it we didn't, we wouldn't be "fanatics." It's going to get better, we know. It's the when that makes it hard on all of us.

BlueMetal 40
11-12-2012, 09:18 AM
But, these are professional athletes. Wouldn't you think that if they got beat as bad as Diehl did on television, that would be enough motivation to improve for the next week, or motivate you to bust your *** and plain work harder in the game to not be drubbed play after play? Yes, they get paid handsomely, but they are men and competitive athletes, so they have to have fire in them to compete, unless their confidence is broken. And that falls on the coaching staff, not putting them in the right situations or personnel groupings to succeed. Doesn't it?

giantyankee1976
11-12-2012, 09:19 AM
What makes us "crazy" is we keep coming back year after year no matter what. And it we didn't, we wouldn't be "fanatics." It's going to get better, we know. It's the when that makes it hard on all of us.

Kinda off topic and yet on topic: I deeply believe the 1990's Yankees, the Giants' recent SB wins have actually spoiled us...I mean across the board all the other Pro teams have a habit of gassing us up only to leave us stranded on the roadside.

It will get better and like you said, we have to embrace the abuse our hearts take along the way.

Go Giants, no matter what !

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 10:08 AM
But, these are professional athletes. Wouldn't you think that if they got beat as bad as Diehl did on television, that would be enough motivation to improve for the next week, or motivate you to bust your *** and plain work harder in the game to not be drubbed play after play? Yes, they get paid handsomely, but they are men and competitive athletes, so they have to have fire in them to compete, unless their confidence is broken. And that falls on the coaching staff, not putting them in the right situations or personnel groupings to succeed. Doesn't it? I honestly believe that the players including Diehl would love to play better. Ijust don't think in his case it's possible anymore.