PDA

View Full Version : Why is this happening?

Morehead State
11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
....I really have no idea.
There are a lot of "Eli is to blame" threads. A lot of "Diehl is to blame threads". A lot of "fire Fewell, KG, TC" threads.
The reallity is that no one can say why we are playing so poorly. And this didn't start last week. This started against Washington and continued through Dallas. They just kept shooting themselves in the foot and we lucked ourselves into a couple of wins.
The interesting thing here is that we can't blame injuries. this may be the healthiest we've been since 2000.
Yes Eli is horrible right now. But is he any worse than anyone else? Not really. The offense is somewhat worse than the defense, but every phase of the game stinks for us.

Ultimately we have to ask if the core players we've had need to be assessed. Can Webby cover anymore? Can Tuck really play at the level we need him to? And we all know Osi is gone.
So my question is..Do we look to do some patchwork or is our team in this last 4 weeks showing that wholesale changes are needed?

I honestly don't know.

Flip Empty
11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/rk8Zu.jpg

giantyankee1976
11-12-2012, 09:59 AM
This BYE came at the right time...recharge, regroup and refocus.

aka

Time to remove heads from *** es and play some football.

ManningToJPP
11-12-2012, 10:00 AM
this is either planned or a complete lack of focus and preparation. Long season, we will go 6-6 and then we must get hot.

I'm ready for 6-6 even if we get blown out by the pack and skins. I'm mentally preparing and I suggest you all do the same.

ManningToJPP
11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
6-6 and then BOOM. win 3/4 win the division and take this show to the NFC North. HERE WE GO GIANTS, I understand your crazy plans now TC!!!

giantyankee1976
11-12-2012, 10:04 AM
LOL remember some years ago, everyone here wanted Spagnuolo to beat the **** outta Gilbride ?

I wonder if Fewell's beginning to harbor some violent thoughts?

TextureDj
11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
LOL remember some years ago, everyone here wanted Spagnuolo to beat the **** outta Gilbride ?

I wonder if Fewell's beginning to harbor some violent thoughts? Perry looks like he can probably throw one. That shot aint going to slide off the cheekbone like that Buddy Ryan haymaker. PF is all about the deception and the sneaky pick, look for him to feint the jab and come across with the hard right cross when Gilbride tries to pull that quick dodge like he did before.

GameTime
11-12-2012, 10:23 AM

I wonder if Fewell's beginning to harbor some violent thoughts?

why?....the defense sucks too.....

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 10:23 AM
There are a lot of "Eli is to blame" threads. A lot of "Diehl is to blame threads". A lot of "fire Fewell, KG, TC" threads.
The reallity is that no one can say why we are playing so poorly. And this didn't start last week. This started against Washington and continued through Dallas. They just kept shooting themselves in the foot and we lucked ourselves into a couple of wins.
The interesting thing here is that we can't blame injuries. this may be the healthiest we've been since 2000.
Yes Eli is horrible right now. But is he any worse than anyone else? Not really. The offense is somewhat worse than the defense, but every phase of the game stinks for us.

Ultimately we have to ask if the core players we've had need to be assessed. Can Webby cover anymore? Can Tuck really play at the level we need him to? And we all know Osi is gone.
So my question is..Do we look to do some patchwork or is our team in this last 4 weeks showing that wholesale changes are needed?

I honestly don't know.

Eli: He's been off but not amazingly so. We got used to him being so magical that anything less than that looks horrendous by comparison.

CWeb: Having a really bad year. We've seen this up and down from him before. I can't say whether this is the end for him or not but my feeling is that the coaching staff (and some of the players) will challenge him and he'll respond. Hopefully that happens before the year is up.

Oline: In general I think we all realize that the current oline is one in flux. Locklear isn't a long term option, DD is done, Boothe is great value but not a blue chipper and most aren't sold on Beatty still and he's probably been our best this year. Baas is marginally better than last year but not by a lot (certainly not for what we're paying him).

Dline: Osi is done (I think we can all agree on that), Tuck is done (my personal opinion) ... his heart just isn't in it anymore, Kiwi needs to be moved back to the dline and hopefully Marvin Austin can come into the 2013 season in game shape (otherwise I think he'll end up being a bust).

LBers: No matter how important dline and secondary might be to a defense, I think we're all seeing why LBers are still a necessary evil ... not all teams have gunslinger QBs and our run defense (especially the middle) is SOFT.

I'm still not crazy about Fewell's schemes but I won't add to the "fire so and so" threads.

I do wish we'd go dink and dunk a bit more .... we seem to either throw/run very short or attempt fairly long. Considering our personnel, we should be eating up the middle of the field.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Eli: He's been off but not amazingly so. We got used to him being so magical that anything less than that looks horrendous by comparison.CWeb: Having a really bad year. We've seen this up and down from him before. I can't say whether this is the end for him or not but my feeling is that the coaching staff (and some of the players) will challenge him and he'll respond. Hopefully that happens before the year is up.Oline: In general I think we all realize that the current oline is one in flux. Locklear isn't a long term option, DD is done, Boothe is great value but not a blue chipper and most aren't sold on Beatty still and he's probably been our best this year. Baas is marginally better than last year but not by a lot (certainly not for what we're paying him).Dline: Osi is done (I think we can all agree on that), Tuck is done (my personal opinion) ... his heart just isn't in it anymore, Kiwi needs to be moved back to the dline and hopefully Marvin Austin can come into the 2013 season in game shape (otherwise I think he'll end up being a bust). LBers: No matter how important dline and secondary might be to a defense, I think we're all seeing why LBers are still a necessary evil ... not all teams have gunslinger QBs and our run defense (especially the middle) is SOFT.I'm still not crazy about Fewell's schemes but I won't add to the "fire so and so" threads.I do wish we'd go dink and dunk a bit more .... we seem to either throw/run very short or attempt fairly long. Considering our personnel, we should be eating up the middle of the field.I said the very same thing (your last paragraph) Eli needs to stop holding on too the ball waiting for guys to grt open to try and make a 40 yard play. Get the quick 10 yards.

BParcells777
11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
this is either planned or a complete lack of focus and preparation. Long season, we will go 6-6 and then we must get hot.

I'm ready for 6-6 even if we get blown out by the pack and skins. I'm mentally preparing and I suggest you all do the same.

I'm ready for 6-10........if we turn it around I will be pleasently suprised
Suprise me Tom

njg85m
11-12-2012, 10:36 AM

I honestly don't know.

It's pretty obvious to me.
Think about it, even the games we won, we won for the most part by typically giving up massive chunks of yardage in exchange for the occasional Int/fumble recovery and relying on Eli to bail us out in the 4th quarter and not turn the ball over.
Now with Eli playing poorly (especially late) and not being comfortably on the + side of the turnover battle anymore it should be no surprise that we're losing now.

We've been playing russian roulette all season, and eventually you are going to chamber a live round.

Morehead State
11-12-2012, 10:59 AM
It's pretty obvious to me.
Think about it, even the games we won, we won for the most part by typically giving up massive chunks of yardage in exchange for the occasional Int/fumble recovery and relying on Eli to bail us out in the 4th quarter and not turn the ball over.
Now with Eli playing poorly (especially late) and not being comfortably on the + side of the turnover battle anymore it should be no surprise that we're losing now.

We've been playing russian roulette all season, and eventually you are going to chamber a live round.

Yes but why? Thats my question. Why are we so bad right now? Its not injuries like last year (or at least contributed last year) We are healthy.
My concern is that our core players are getting past their prime and we may be falling fast without seeing it. (The proverbial frog in the boiling water scenario).
I know we are constantly trying to get better. But are we assuming that certain players are untouchable. I am especially concerned about the decision to replace Locklear with Diehl. By itself its may just be a miscalculation, but is that decision a symptom of a stubborness that TC is famous for.
And another thing...Does the coaching staff actually know that David Wilson is on the team? Are we so locked into the loyalty to vets like Bradshaw that we can't bring young players into the mix for God's sake?

Just not sure where this team is right now. Is it a blip? Or is it the beginning of a decline with these players?

Captain Chaos
11-12-2012, 11:01 AM
This BYE came at the right time...recharge, regroup and refocus.

aka

Time to remove heads from *** es and play some football.

If you ask me the Bye came about two weeks too late!

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes but why? Thats my question. Why are we so bad right now? Its not injuries like last year (or at least contributed last year) We are healthy.
My concern is that our core players are getting past their prime and we may be falling fast without seeing it. (The proverbial frog in the boiling water scenario).
I know we are constantly trying to get better. But are we assuming that certain players are untouchable. I am especially concerned about the decision to replace Locklear with Diehl. By itself its may just be a miscalculation, but is that decision a symptom of a stubborness that TC is famous for.
And another thing...Does the coaching staff actually know that David Wilson is on the team? Are we so locked into the loyalty to vets like Bradshaw that we can't bring young players into the mix for God's sake?

Just not sure where this team is right now. Is it a blip? Or is it the beginning of a decline with these players?It goes back to the coaching philosophy. I watched a press conference with him yesterday and he stated "Once I have a plan I stick with it no matter what". That says A LOT. I'm sure he's thinking about changing some things and some players around, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Diehl starts and Bradshaw starts. That's just how he runs things.

Morehead State
11-12-2012, 11:07 AM
It goes back to the coaching philosophy. I watched a press conference with him yesterday and he stated "Once I have a plan I stick with it no matter what". That says A LOT. I'm sure he's thinking about changing some things and some players around, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Diehl starts and Bradshaw starts. That's just how he runs things.
But what about the players?
Our core players...
Eli, Bradshaw, Snee, Nicks, Cruz, DD, Boley, JPP, Canty, KP, Webby, Tuck.........
How long do we hold on to some of them? When is it time to clean house? I'm not saying the time is now, but I am starting to ask the question.
And when is it time to draft a future replacement for Eli? Again...I'm not saying its now, .......but when?

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:08 AM

This.

And to Morehead's point, I think some of our blue chippers are under performing this year: CWeb, Tuck, Kiwi (as a LB), Boley (all of a sudden he can't cover a TE), Bradshaw, etc

Buddy333
11-12-2012, 11:09 AM
They where probably the ugliest 6-2 team in the NFL. One ugly win you can live with, but many means you are getting lucky and their luck ran out. Seems like Tuck and Osi retired, Webster has become the worst CB in the NFL. Nicks is playing injured, they miss Manningham, and Eli looks like a rookie lately.

nygfanmaybe
11-12-2012, 11:10 AM
It is a combination of things. They just won a ring. Motivation can't be the same as, say...the Falcons.

DD.

Very much needed bye week.

Eli back to making poor decisions...trying to do too much...more than he is capable.

It appears to be the new Giants' way of winning a SB...turn it on when things really get close.

Sandy.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Our core players...
Eli, Bradshaw, Snee, Nicks, Cruz, DD, Boley, JPP, Canty, KP, Webby, Tuck.........
How long do we hold on to some of them? When is it time to clean house? I'm not saying the time is now, but I am starting to ask the question.
And when is it time to draft a future replacement for Eli? Again...I'm not saying its now, .......but when?
Bradshaw obviously needs to sit, he's injured and isn't performing up to par.
Webby is also injured and is getting burned on every other play, time for him to sit as well.
Cruz won't play physical for crap. Balls just aren't going to flutter in his arms anymore. You need to fight for the ball, but I don't think they should get rid of him.
Nicks had a better game yesterday.
Tuck is done.
Osi who isn't listed is done.

Honestly..I don't know haha, I can't believe I typed all of that just to agree. We can't hold on to them forever and about 4 of them need to think about retirement or another team. I don't know when Eli is going to leave, he still has some years on him.

dezzzR
11-12-2012, 11:19 AM

Just not sure where this team is right now. Is it a blip? Or is it the beginning of a decline with these players?I think you nailed it with the O line and the running game. Our defense hasnt been good since Fewells been here but the quick 3 and outs on offense make it even worse. Said last week I hope TC wouldnt be so stubborn and give Locklear and Brown more reps. That wasnt the case yesterday, lets hope they change it up after the bye. I think Diehl is done. Bradshaw can still be a second down back, but he needs to rest for a few weeks. He looks horrible. Get the running game going and well be back to winning nail bitters in no time:p

From 07 superbowl year we have Tuck, Osi, Blackburn, Webster, Kiwi, Eli, Diehl, Snee, Bradshaw. Thats a pretty big core, none of them look good at the moment.

giantyankee1976
11-12-2012, 11:21 AM

listen don't get me wrong but we are lucky we are 6-4 right now as supposed to 4-6...the Skins and Boys games were near-misses.

to pancake now on an 0-2 skid and then be given a BYE is good...let those who are hurting heal more.

Get 44's *** on the practice field, if we're stuck with 66 then the extra week might help him find where his balls got to as well.

we ALL know that the last 6 games are rough as hell and the Egirls got a few against the NFCE including us...including us...including us (those *******s would love to play spoiler and outright end our dreams...MFing Egirls)

the last 6 will determine Playoffs or Couches

Morehead State
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
listen don't get me wrong but we are lucky we are 6-4 right now as supposed to 4-6...the Skins and Boys games were near-misses.

to pancake now on an 0-2 skid and then be given a BYE is good...let those who are hurting heal more.

Get 44's *** on the practice field, if we're stuck with 66 then the extra week might help him find where his balls got to as well.

we ALL know that the last 6 games are rough as hell and the Egirls got a few against the NFCE including us...including us...including us )those *******s would love to play spoiler or outright end our dreams...MFing Egirls)

the last 6 will determine Playoffs or Couches
I don't think 9-7 wins the division for us. I expect Dallas to finish 9-7 at worst as well and will probably have a better division record.
We are going to have to beat some good teams to make it to the playoffs and right now there are few teams in the league we can beat. Not the way we're playing.
We can certainly turn this around. We've obviously done it before. But we could also blow a huge division lead and fall into mediocrity. We've done that as well.
Is this 2009? Or is it 2011?

stormblue
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
honestly , here's what ya got.
over-achievers coming back down to earth.
poor personel decisions as to who to sit and who to play.
a .550 coaching staff that has no concept of chess or the art of war
that has some how built a smoke-screen false reputation
by benefitting from said over-achievers and the occasional helmet-catch.

and the biggest over-achiever being the QB.

all sad.....all true.

giantsforce
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM

I honestly don't know.Looking at the past 9 years that Coughlin has been here you can see the pattern. Players come and go and the same **** happens. The 2 SB's were just an aberration, a statistical anomaly. I think that the players get tired of the same plays over and over and the preferential treatment of some players and they just do not give a crap. even JPP is giving up. When you hear a 2nd year player saying this is not fun anymore you know you have a problem somewhere and that problem is coaching. when you are ahead by 20 points and you barely win the game, you know you have a coaching problem. No adjustments during the game, preferential treatment of players, poor game planning, letting your coordinators do the same **** that does not work and not stepping in to fix it, you know you got a coaching problem. We had issues running the ball last year. What adjustments did the coaches do to fix that? None. Watching the fire and excitement the Bengals players had yesterday and then watching the Giants players you could tell who wanted the win more. The tone was set in the first game. The defending SB champion has never lost on opening day. Leave that to the Giants! Embarrassing performance at home. And here we are: talking about the same things we have been talking for the past 9 years and we are still wondering why it is happening. Well, all these years we had one common denominator: the Coughlin, Killdrive combination. If you haven't figure it out yet, I guess you will never figure it out.

Morehead State
11-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Looking at the past 9 years that Coughlin has been here you can see the pattern. Players come and go and the same **** happens. The 2 SB's were just an aberration, a statistical anomaly. I think that the players get tired of the same plays over and over and the preferential treatment of some players and they just do not give a crap. even JPP is giving up. When you hear a 2nd year player saying this is not fun anymore you know you have a problem somewhere and that problem is coaching. when you are ahead by 20 points and you barely win the game, you know you have a coaching problem. No adjustments during the game, preferential treatment of players, poor game planning, letting your coordinators do the same **** that does not work and not stepping in to fix it, you know you got a coaching problem. We had issues running the ball last year. What adjustments did the coaches do to fix that? None. Watching the fire and excitement the Bengals players had yesterday and then watching the Giants players you could tell who wanted the win more. The tone was set in the first game. The defensing SB champion has never lost on opening day. Leave that to the Giants! Embarrassing performance at home. And here we are: talking about the same things we have been talking for the past 9 years and we are still wondering why it is happening. Well, all these years we had one common denominator: the Coughlin, Killdrive combination. If you haven't figure it out yet, I guess you will never figure it out.

Thats WAY overstated.
We've won 2 SB's with these guys.
To me its primarily the players. Are our players good enough right now? Especially our core players.
I'm not sure. I get the frustration over the stubborness of the head coach, especially regarding DD, but they have a proven track record. They don't all of the sudden forget how to coach. Players however have a short shelf life in the NFL. They do deteriorate. Its not a crime. It just happens.
The question to me is have a number of our core vets reached that point. A reasonable argument can be made that they have.

giantsforce
11-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Thats WAY overstated.
We've won 2 SB's with these guys.
To me its primarily the players. Are our players good enough right now? Especially our core players.
I'm not sure. I get the frustration over the stubborness of the head coach, especially regarding DD, but they have a proven track record. They don't all of the sudden forget how to coach. Players however have a short shelf life in the NFL. They do deteriorate. Its not a crime. It just happens.
The question to me is have a number of our core vets reached that point. A reasonable argument can be made that they have.Isn't then the coaches job to recognize this and adjust accordingly? How about the fact that we get to inside the 20 and we cannot score TD's? This has nothing to do with player deterioration but purely play calling. If you go back and look at the plays called, you will see that 99% of the time we run it twice and then we try to throw the fade to the outside. Opposing teams know that and they are taking these plays away from us, yet we keep calling them. Is that a coaching issue or not.

gumby74
11-12-2012, 11:40 AM
If we miss the playoffs this year, I think we will need to retool and our roster will look drastically different. We need to re-allocate where we put our money. We are in a "win now" mode with Eli now in his prime. I honestly think this funk Eli is in is temporary. He's always been inconsistent. Our window is basically roughly 5 years.

But, assuming the coaching staff stays intact, we need to re-asses our players and re-allocate our money. It's impossible in today's NFL to put a star player at every position. Tuck is not the same. Osi will be gone. Webster is not worth 8 million. Rolle is also not worth 8 million.

So this is just one scenario I think can think of where we're headed. Our style of play will essentially become the Colts of old. ie. protect the QB, surround him with weapons and get after the QB on defense. This means we'll have holes in the run game, secondary, and linebacker.

Osi and Tuck will be gone. Re-sign Joseph and JPP. This won't be cheap. Cut Rolle and let KP walk because he mostly likely will command over Webster will be gone. That leaves Prince, Thomas, and Hosely as the corners. And pray that our safeties will band-aid well enough. Draft DE's and DT and move Kiwi back to DE.

Solidify the OL either via Draft or Free Agency. This won't be cheap. Re-sign Cruz and Nicks (if he comes back healthy otherwise let him walk). This also won't be cheap. Let Bradshaw walk/cut him. All we need is a RB that can get a solid 2-3 yards a carry.

But this avenue is assuming Eli returns to 2011 form. If he doesn't and is back to his old self, I wouldn't recommend the above.

Morehead State
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Isn't then the coaches job to recognize this and adjust accordingly? How about the fact that we get to inside the 20 and we cannot score TD's? This has nothing to do with player deterioration but purely play calling. If you go back and look at the plays called, you will see that 99% of the time we run it twice and then we try to throw the fade to the outside. Opposing teams know that and they are taking these plays away from us, yet we keep calling them. Is that a coaching issue or not.
I'm pretty darn sure that 99% of our series in the red zone aren't, run, run, fade.
Parcells used to say that they ran about 4 plays on offense and dominated opposing defenses. Its always about the players and their ability to execute.
I don't downplay playcalling, but our offense is actually quite imaginative. But we do leave a lot to the players. Lots of audibles and sight adjustments.

I'm sorry, while the coaches do make mistakes like everyone else and are not blameless here, this slide is about the players,...... playing lousy.

giantsforce
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty darn sure that 99% of our series in the red zone aren't, run, run, fade.
Parcells used to say that they ran about 4 plays on offense and dominated opposing defenses. Its always about the players and their ability to execute.
I don't downplay playcalling, but our offense is actually quite imaginative. But we do leave a lot to the players. Lots of audibles and sight adjustments.

I'm sorry, while the coaches do make mistakes like everyone else and are not blameless here, this slide is about the players,...... playing lousy.I do not disagree with the fact that the players have their share of the blame for this, however, having played professional sports in Europe (soccer) I know that when a player was not performing, it was the coach's responsibility to select appropriate replacement. Once we had such a bad game that the coach sat most of the team out and he went with mostly replacements. His philosophy was that "I will lose a game but it will be because of lack of talent but not because of lack of effort." Well that was a valuable lesson for a lot of us in the team because we have forgotten that along with the talent, you need also the effort. And that is not what I see from the Giants. I see a lot of talent but not the effort. So I go back and I ask again, what are the coaches doing to get that effort out of the players? What changes are they making on using the talent we have appropriately?

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Looking at the past 9 years that Coughlin has been here you can see the pattern. Players come and go and the same **** happens. The 2 SB's were just an aberration, a statistical anomaly. I think that the players get tired of the same plays over and over and the preferential treatment of some players and they just do not give a crap. even JPP is giving up. When you hear a 2nd year player saying this is not fun anymore you know you have a problem somewhere and that problem is coaching. when you are ahead by 20 points and you barely win the game, you know you have a coaching problem. No adjustments during the game, preferential treatment of players, poor game planning, letting your coordinators do the same **** that does not work and not stepping in to fix it, you know you got a coaching problem. We had issues running the ball last year. What adjustments did the coaches do to fix that? None. Watching the fire and excitement the Bengals players had yesterday and then watching the Giants players you could tell who wanted the win more. The tone was set in the first game. The defending SB champion has never lost on opening day. Leave that to the Giants! Embarrassing performance at home. And here we are: talking about the same things we have been talking for the past 9 years and we are still wondering why it is happening. Well, all these years we had one common denominator: the Coughlin, Killdrive combination. If you haven't figure it out yet, I guess you will never figure it out.

Two Super Bowls in 5 years is about as much a statistical anomaly as winning the Mega Millions twice in 5 years.

Especially when you won both SBs the same way.

stormblue
11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
over-achieving and an intense desire to win ,
helmet catches and double kick-off fumbles aren't coaching.

consistent .550 football is.

stormblue
11-12-2012, 12:14 PM
if you are a head coach in the NFL for 18 years
the law of averages would dictate a ring or 2.

blueomaha
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
i can't answer your question, Morehead...all i ask is for you to tell me what remaining game(s) we can win in the regular season...it looks bleak...something dramatic has to happen...was this the real NYG we saw yesterday...i don't think so....

Morehead State
11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
i can't answer your question, Morehead...all i ask is for you to tell me what remaining game(s) we can win in the regular season...it looks bleak...something dramatic has to happen...was this the real NYG we saw yesterday...i don't think so....
I really have no idea what to expect from here on. I admit that I'm not especially optimistic.
Will we continue to play the way we are?...If so we won't win another game. Will we turn it around as we have done once or twice in recent years? God I hope so.
But we may have gone to that well once too often.

Eliscruzzz
11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
They where probably the ugliest 6-2 team in the NFL. One ugly win you can live with, but many means you are getting lucky and their luck ran out. Seems like Tuck and Osi retired, Webster has become the worst CB in the NFL. Nicks is playing injured, they miss Manningham, and Eli looks like a rookie lately.Ugliest 6-2 team...really...really??? What's a pretty 6-2 team??

giantsforce
11-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Ugliest 6-2 team...really...really??? What's a pretty 6-2 team??Maybe the Falcons or the Texans, you know the teams that they can score TD's more than 40% for the opponents 5 yard line.

PRGiant
11-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Not really, 32 teams, you should get a ring every 32 years...

yo-ho
11-12-2012, 03:14 PM
This is happening because we cannot run the football with any consistency, especially on first down. Leaving second and long that turns into third and long. And when they pass on first down and are second and ten, they run on second down forcing another third and long. We haven't spent much effort of high round daft choices for the O-line in quite some time, lots of backs, DBs,DEs, etc. Either that OR our RB's do not have the vision to find the holes we know Jacobs had no such vision, which is probably why he can't get on the field for the 49ers. I watched Bradshaw yet again not following his blocking to the hole this weekend.

Eli had a good season last year, and made up for the lack of a running game to some extent, but the record was still only 9-7, and they did mange a better running game in the playoffs last year, which undoubtedly helped. I'd like to see Andre Brown get more opportunities as he follows his blocking, doesn't waste time dancing around, and is big enough to fall forward a couple of yards. Wilson can get to the edge and is a threat to break one at any time.

Also, the pass rush has been non-existent, opposing QBs are having all freaking day to throw, and they are finding people open deep as a result.

Throw in some special teams breakdowns in the past couple of weeks and there you have it. They have a bye week to figure things out, but to me it all comes down to the running game and the pass rush.

rtahsin
11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm ready for 6-10........if we turn it around I will be pleasently suprised
Suprise me TomWait, you're ready for 6-10? I thought you were the eternal optimist. If it ever got to a point where we have a the slightest of mathematical possibilities to get into the playoffs, I would assume you would probably be the only one to believe we would get there. Lol I'm surprised.

Dwinsballgames
11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
It goes back to the coaching philosophy. I watched a press conference with him yesterday and he stated "Once I have a plan I stick with it no matter what". That says A LOT. I'm sure he's thinking about changing some things and some players around, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Diehl starts and Bradshaw starts. That's just how he runs things.

In all fairness, he was talking about his plan concerning the bye week specifically and made no blanket statement about sticking with plans no matter what.

Dwinsballgames
11-12-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm sorry, but the law of averages?? Do you actually think about what you post before you post it?

JJC7301
11-12-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't think that Web is done at all -- he's been playing with 2 injuries all year. I do think that Tuck and Osi are done and time to move on after this year. Even if they're play improves.

BuffyBlueII
11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Our core players...

Good point and it is a legitimate concern. We are healthier than I can remember and we are stinking up the house for the last 4-5 weeks now.

In regard to our core players, I think that JPP, Eli and Prince are definitely going to be around for awhile but we need to start looking at drafting a replacement for down the road.

Osi is gone after this season and I think the organization needs to evaluate CW because it may be time for him to go. Double D is done and shouldn't be staring this season but TC keeps sticking with him.

Regardless of what happens this season, we need to really evaluate our weaknesses and try to fix them, particularly the offensive line. I have a feeling we are going to put together a run and wind up winning the division and make it to playoffs but I don't think we should be complacent again next season and not address our main concerns. I also think that it may be time for some of the core guys to not be starters and give some of the younger ones that are really fired up a chance to start and get some more playing time.