PDA

View Full Version : Kruunch's Take (Bengals Game)

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Having missed the Steelers game wrap up last week due to me being out of state (hurricane fallout escape), my take on the Bengals game can also be applied to the Steelers game I think.

1) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh second half slump! It's unfathomable how poorly we do when comparing seasonal first and second halfs under TC, but it's almost as reliable (especially in November) as a certain geyser in Yellowstone (I'll try to delve into this mystery of mysteries further down).

2) Sandy that *****! More fall out (energy wise) was fairly evident. I thought the Steelers game could be chalked up to that and to a degree, I think that recovery malaise is still hanging around. Having done a working vacation and still catching up from Sandy, I can only imagine what it was like having to deal with it in the first person, post Sandy.

3) The team is just misfiring all the way around. At times we look good (and by "at times", I mean a play here and there) but when taken on the whole, it's obvious we're not competing either from an execution standpoint or an energetic one.

4) Why the patented second half collapses, especially in November? My take on it is that while TC is described as crafty and ingenius (I don't think he is either), his real genius resides in his ability to remember and hit upon all the nitty-gritty. He dots the I's and crosses the T's better than almost any coach in the NFL currently BUT he does it in such a way that his players start tuning him out. He is not an engaging personality (never has been) and it's often too easy for him to fall into "lecture" mode, of which it's even easier for a young player to tune that out (especially when its been drilled into you for the past three months (including pre-season)). He seems to change tact and gain attention again come December (most times), but that's my take on our second half slump which is almost always the most evident in November.

5) Our bye week couldn't come at a better time (actually it could have ... last week ... but what ya gonna do)!

6) I think we'll rally. Nicks looked much better; Bradshaw should be fiery after the prolonged rest; our coaching staff will have a lot of tape to revise Xs and Os; and so on.

7) I'm starting to see why Dallas let go of Martelus Bennett ... he shows a lot of upside, but at best, he's been mediocre. He's only marginally outperformed performed Jake Ballard from last year (thus far), and that by itself is very telling. I'd really like to see him pick up his game but I'm not sure his mentality is a good match for our offense (a lot of snap option reads).

8) I'd be highly surprised if Bradshaw is on the team next year. While he's been awesome value for us, he just seems to be winding down in front of our eyes. Worse, his attitude is going the way of Brandon Jacobs.

9) If we're going to throw that bubble screen, you'd think Cruz would be a better target for it, considering he's shiftier and has, you know ... two good knees.

10) Finally, I have to capitulate to the haters ... while I've always loved David Diehl, his day is done.

Your thoughts?

GameTime
11-12-2012, 10:39 AM
good assessment...

I would have just said they all Sucked.......with the exception of Tynes, Weatherford, and De Ossie.....

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 10:41 AM
good assessment...

I would have just said they all Sucked.......with the exception of Tynes, Weatherford, and De Ossie.....

I'm a Java programmer ... we never cut anything we say short :D

giantyankee1976
11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
yup, the milk's gone bad, ****'s sour.

reload Big Blue, stop playing the disrespect card and kick some *** to take that respect.

GameTime
11-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm a Java programmer ... we never cut anything we say short :D

:cool:

so you are the one who is always sending update to my computer....

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:01 AM
:cool:

so you are the one who is always sending update to my computer....

If that's what you're thinking I'm doing with your computer then ... sure :D

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:07 AM
I wish our organization (the coaches primarily) will change their fundamentals just a little bit, because sometimes it's hurting the team.
Bradshaw is obviously injured and cannot perform up to par, SIT HIM.
David Diehl, do I need to explain? SIT HIM.
Corey Webster is just not good. Hammy issue and broken hand..SIT HIM.
This whole "I'm sticking with my plan no matter what" thing is becoming bothersome and it's hurting the team.
We can't keep throwing the ball down field expecting miraculous catches week after week. Design some short yardage plays, come on guys.

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
I wish our organization (the coaches primarily) will change their fundamentals just a little bit, because sometimes it's hurting the team.
Bradshaw is obviously injured and cannot perform up to par, SIT HIM.
David Diehl, do I need to explain? SIT HIM.
Corey Webster is just not good. Hammy issue and broken hand..SIT HIM.
This whole "I'm sticking with my plan no matter what" thing is becoming bothersome and it's hurting the team.
We can't keep throwing the ball down field expecting miraculous catches week after week. Design some short yardage plays, come on guys.

The only problem with sitting half our team is that our backups aren't better.

If you sit CWeb, who are you going to replace him with? Hosely and Prince are already playing. You want Coe or Tryon instead of CWeb?

DD I agree on ... his day seems to be past.

Bradshaw I kind of agree on.

I would also like to see some more medium yardage plays. I'm not sure why we don't seem to utilize the middle of the field more than we do.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:18 AM

If you sit CWeb, who are you going to replace him with? Hosely and Prince are already playing. You want Coe or Tryon instead of CWeb?

I would also like to see some more medium yardage plays. I'm not sure why we don't seem to utilize the middle of the field more than we do.Well I was speaking in terms of the future of this team but since you mentioned it..

Why can't Hosley play opposite of Prince?

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Well I was speaking in terms of the future of this team but since you mentioned it..

Why can't Hosley play opposite of Prince?

Hosely would get more abused then CWeb has been (and has been, including this past game).

While I won't defend CWeb too strongly, if you're reacting to the first Green TD where coverage was blown, that was due to backup Safety Steve Brown (although CWeb should have been tighter in the trail position).

I don't like that our defense seems to be confusing our players more than the opposing players. That bothers me greatly.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Hosely would get more abused then CWeb has been (and has been, including this past game).

While I won't defend CWeb too strongly, if you're reacting to the first Green TD where coverage was blown, that was due to backup Safety Steve Brown (although CWeb should have been tighter in the trail position).

I don't like that our defense seems to be confusing our players more than the opposing players. That bothers me greatly.True.
I've just come to grips with our defense this year, they give up yards but they manage to get takeaways..it is what it is.

Now the offense...

GameTime
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
If that's what you're thinking I'm doing with your computer then ... sure :D

nice one.....

FIFTY6G-MAN
11-12-2012, 11:32 AM

I would also like to see some more medium yardage plays. I'm not sure why we don't seem to utilize the middle of the field more than we do.You mean we are allowed to use the middle of the field when we are on offense? I thought we could only let that happen when we were on defense. DAMN

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
True.
I've just come to grips with our defense this year, they give up yards but they manage to get takeaways..it is what it is.

Now the offense...

Yeah I'm not a big fan on the bend-don't-break defense but it's worked for us in the past (last year in fact) and I can't argue with the ultimate results.

It's also hard to blame too much on the defense when they get ridiculously short fields, like they were against the Bengals. You'd rather give up field goals but it is very deflating (not to mention physically exhausting).

Offensively, it all starts with Eli. If he is getting pressured too much, then he needs to talk to the coaches and help them get the oline squared away. If it's the receivers (and part of it is), then he needs to help them along, especially with the play calling (both he and KG). If it's Eli himself, then he needs to take care of his own house.

I still think the oline being in flux is the largest culprit. We've all been lambasting DD (rightfully so) but Locklear wasn't exactly a brick wall on the right side either. I think we took for granted (and almost all fans do) just how good (and important) our oline was up until now.

I'm a staunch supporter of building from the line out (on both sides of the ball). Looking back, now I'm wondering if we misfired by taking Wilson over Cordy Glenn.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah I'm not a big fan on the bend-don't-break defense but it's worked for us in the past (last year in fact) and I can't argue with the ultimate results.

It's also hard to blame too much on the defense when they get ridiculously short fields, like they were against the Bengals. You'd rather give up field goals but it is very deflating (not to mention physically exhausting).

Offensively, it all starts with Eli. If he is getting pressured too much, then he needs to talk to the coaches and help them get the oline squared away. If it's the receivers (and part of it is), then he needs to help them along, especially with the play calling (both he and KG). If it's Eli himself, then he needs to take care of his own house.

I still think the oline being in flux is the largest culprit. We've all been lambasting DD (rightfully so) but Locklear wasn't exactly a brick wall on the right side either. I think we took for granted (and almost all fans do) just how good (and important) our oline was up until now.

I'm a staunch supporter of building from the line out (on both sides of the ball). Looking back, now I'm wondering if we misfired by taking Wilson over Cordy Glenn.Well with Locklear we were 5-1 with deal, we are 1-4 so yes, it's a huge difference lol.
Eli needs to stop turning the ball over. Just take the sack, do not convert back to 2010 with the poor decisions.That's why we were so successful last year in the playoffs, and the first few games this year (Minus the Bucs game, even though he came back).

However, where is the help? Eli can't block and deliver the ball at the same time. The reason why the o-line isn't getting help because the coaches won't take Diehl out. Why won't the coaches take Diehl out knowing he's demoralizing the team? Well that's a different story.

The receivers aren't helping either. Cruz just flat out dropped a touchdown pass yesterday IN the end zone. He just dropped it, it was right in his hands. What is that? Why are you so unfocused? Why is everyone unfocused?

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Well with Locklear we were 5-1 with deal, we are 1-4 so yes, it's a huge difference lol.
Eli needs to stop turning the ball over. Just take the sack, do not convert back to 2010 with the poor decisions.That's why we were so successful last year in the playoffs, and the first few games this year (Minus the Bucs game, even though he came back).

However, where is the help? Eli can't block and deliver the ball at the same time. The reason why the o-line isn't getting help because the coaches won't take Diehl out. Why won't the coaches take Diehl out knowing he's demoralizing the team? Well that's a different story.

The receivers aren't helping either. Cruz just flat out dropped a touchdown pass yesterday IN the end zone. He just dropped it, it was right in his hands. What is that? Why are you so unfocused? Why is everyone unfocused?

You kind of just answered yourself. DD isn't the only problem. It's across the board. Our running game has been very inconsistent (and we usually lose when we don't have one), our receivers have been inconsistent and our QB has been inconsistent. While you can blame some of that on DD, it's certainly not the entire picture.

But I do agree that we looked better with Locklear at RT.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
You kind of just answered yourself. DD isn't the only problem. It's across the board. Our running game has been very inconsistent (and we usually lose when we don't have one), our receivers have been inconsistent and our QB has been inconsistent. While you can blame some of that on DD, it's certainly not the entire picture.

But I do agree that we looked better with Locklear at RT.Well of course DD isn't the ONLY problem This whole offense is sucking right now. I'm just saying he's detrimental and it doesn't make sense to put him back in there to make matters worse.

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Well of course DD isn't the ONLY problem This whole offense is sucking right now. I'm just saying he's detrimental and it doesn't make sense to put him back in there to make matters worse.

I would tend to agree, but I'll never say I know more then the coaching staff.

And I think TC has earned a pass in this regard, considering his resume and recent successes.

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Also I would like to point out that we can have a few game slide and it not be the end of the world.

2007 and 2011 are both proof of that.

What short memories we have :)

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:54 AM
I would tend to agree, but I'll never say I know more then the coaching staff.

And I think TC has earned a pass in this regard, considering his resume and recent successes.The coaching staff knows way more than I do, but it's so frustrating how they handle certain things. I don't think that can be disputed.

Why does it take a 5 game losing streak to finally make adjustments?
Why are we using the no huddle in the last 5 minutes in the 4th quarter (which by the way, it resulted in a touchdown).

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
The coaching staff knows way more than I do, but it's so frustrating how they handle certain things. I don't think that can be disputed.

Why does it take a 5 game losing streak to finally make adjustments?
Why are we using the no huddle in the last 5 minutes in the 4th quarter (which by the way, it resulted in a touchdown).

We use the muddle-huddle a ton. It does the same thing as the no huddle (doesn't allow defensive subs), except tempo and teams seem to have a hard time dealing with it in the past. It comes down to execution (I wouldn't mind seeing more off-tempo plays but again, I'm not the OC/QB).

And people were screaming about DD last year and we won a SB with him. The coaching staff also sees both DD and Locklear in practice so they are in a better position to know who they think would work the best.

Having said that, the Giants to date, have done every thing they could to keep Eli clean, so I'd expect a change soon if DD continues his downward trend.

And yes, it's very frustrating.

Captain Chaos
11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
The only good thing is that we have a bye in November, one less week to torture us....

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 12:44 PM
The only good thing is that we have a bye in November, one less week to torture us....

Pretty much.

Marvelousmik
11-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Having missed the Steelers game wrap up last week due to me being out of state (hurricane fallout escape), my take on the Bengals game can also be applied to the Steelers game I think.

1) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh second half slump! It's unfathomable how poorly we do when comparing seasonal first and second halfs under TC, but it's almost as reliable (especially in November) as a certain geyser in Yellowstone (I'll try to delve into this mystery of mysteries further down).

2) Sandy that *****! More fall out (energy wise) was fairly evident. I thought the Steelers game could be chalked up to that and to a degree, I think that recovery malaise is still hanging around. Having done a working vacation and still catching up from Sandy, I can only imagine what it was like having to deal with it in the first person, post Sandy.

3) The team is just misfiring all the way around. At times we look good (and by "at times", I mean a play here and there) but when taken on the whole, it's obvious we're not competing either from an execution standpoint or an energetic one.

4) Why the patented second half collapses, especially in November? My take on it is that while TC is described as crafty and ingenius (I don't think he is either), his real genius resides in his ability to remember and hit upon all the nitty-gritty. He dots the I's and crosses the T's better than almost any coach in the NFL currently BUT he does it in such a way that his players start tuning him out. He is not an engaging personality (never has been) and it's often too easy for him to fall into "lecture" mode, of which it's even easier for a young player to tune that out (especially when its been drilled into you for the past three months (including pre-season)). He seems to change tact and gain attention again come December (most times), but that's my take on our second half slump which is almost always the most evident in November.

5) Our bye week couldn't come at a better time (actually it could have ... last week ... but what ya gonna do)!

6) I think we'll rally. Nicks looked much better; Bradshaw should be fiery after the prolonged rest; our coaching staff will have a lot of tape to revise Xs and Os; and so on.

7) I'm starting to see why Dallas let go of Martelus Bennett ... he shows a lot of upside, but at best, he's been mediocre. He's only marginally outperformed performed Jake Ballard from last year (thus far), and that by itself is very telling. I'd really like to see him pick up his game but I'm not sure his mentality is a good match for our offense (a lot of snap option reads).

8) I'd be highly surprised if Bradshaw is on the team next year. While he's been awesome value for us, he just seems to be winding down in front of our eyes. Worse, his attitude is going the way of Brandon Jacobs.

9) If we're going to throw that bubble screen, you'd think Cruz would be a better target for it, considering he's shiftier and has, you know ... two good knees.

10) Finally, I have to capitulate to the haters ... while I've always loved David Diehl, his day is done.

Your thoughts?

i think that bubble screen that failed was thrown to randell. you would think they'd do something like that with jennigan or cruz, but whatever.
And bennett in my opinion is worse than ballad. He may block better but he cant catch

paulj
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I would expect a few changes in personnel next year and some tough decisions to be made. TE Dustin Keller of th Jets will be a Free Agent after this year. He would be a tremendous TE with the Giants.

The entire OL is still a major concern.
The other WRs need to step up so they can be counted on (Barden, Randle, JJ). Hixon has been okay, sometime making great catches and running good routes.

We need speed at OLB. I still prefer putting Kiwi back on the DLine and draft a stud OLB.
We need another CB. Hosley and Prince will only get better but we need another top CB.
Webster has been pedestrian and appears to have lost a step gettting beat quite often.
Dont know if TT will reutn next year from injury?

I like Will Hill at Safety and Nickel CB and he will only get better too!
I like Steve Brown too.
I hope alot of Giants restructure their contracts.

Kruunch
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
i think that bubble screen that failed was thrown to randell. you would think they'd do something like that with jennigan or cruz, but whatever.
And bennett in my opinion is worse than ballad. He may block better but he cant catch

I'm kind of curious as to why they've been working RR in more then Barden. I'm certainly not a Barden fan, but he did have that great game against the Panthers (granted ... Panthers) and was fairly good in the Eagles game up until he blew it for us at the end.

Is TC still nursing a grudge on that?

JJC7301
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
1. AB is my favorite player, but yes, he needs to go next year. Or take a huge cut in salary and make way for someone else to start.
2. No hating Diehl. Love the big lug, but his days as a starter are done. Not worth the salary.
3. I haven't minded Bennett, but Ballard had a better year last year. Giants should have paid him this year to play him next year.

BlueBlooded1979
11-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Ballard was waived to be placed on IR before training camp. Not for financial reasons. I agree that he is just a better player than Bennet is when you look at the entire package.