PDA

View Full Version : Giants' David Wilson Still Needs To Gain Coaches' Trust

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_david_wilson_still_need.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "Wilson's season got off to a rough start when he fumbled on his second career carry and was subsequently put in Tom Coughlin's doghouse. He has a total of 18 carries for 89 yards Ė 40 of which came on his lone touchdown run of the season. He was in on just two offensive plays Sunday against the Bengals, though Coughlin today said the team planned on playing him more but the game situation dictated otherwise.

Giants coaches rave about Wilson's explosive running ability; they've seen what he can do at practice and on Sundays during kickoff returns. But that isn't the issue. The problem remains the other aspects of becoming an NFL running back and gaining the coaches' trust.

"Heís got to be able to do all other things besides just running the ball," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "Itís not just running the ball when youíre a running back in the National Football League. Itís about catching passes, itís about blocking, itís about being able to protect the quarterback. All those things are taken into consideration when you determine whether a guy gets playing time or not."

Wilson, Gilbride explained, wasn't asked to do much else other than run in his three years at Virginia Tech. On the contrary, Doug Martin, taken one spot before David Wilson in April's draft, ran a pro-style offense at Boise State and has contributed immediately for the Buccaneers. He currently ranks first in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage at 128.7 per game and tied for fourth in rushing with 862 yards." Read more...

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
11-12-2012, 08:30 PM
How can he earn trust when they put him out there one play...everyone knows its going to him and bc he doesn't score a TD he gets put on the bench.

Meanwhile AB's fumbling at the worst times. Getting in players and coaches face but yet TC trust him :mindblown:.

It really upsets me that every other team finds away to get plays from their rookies and TC wont give these dudes a chance till his hands are forced.

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
How can he earn trust when they put him out there one play...everyone knows its going to him and bc he doesn't score a TD he gets put on the bench.

Meanwhile AB's fumbling at the worst times. Getting in players and coaches face but yet TC trust him :mindblown:.

It really upsets me that every other team finds away to get plays from their rookies and TC wont give these dudes a chance till his hands are forced.

Did you read the article? Gilbride explains why Martin starts and Wilson doesn't

joemorrisforprez
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm tired of Gilbride's endless rationalizations regarding Wilson......Gilbride talks about practicing, earning trust, blah blah blah.....and then puts in a guy who can't practice and fumbles away the Giants best chance to get back into the game.

Next time around, please draft a linebacker instead of someone that is going to get mothballed by Killdrive.

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm tired of Gilbride's endless rationalizations regarding Wilson......Gilbride talks about practicing, earning trust, blah blah blah.....and then puts in a guy who can't practice and fumbles away the Giants best chance to get back into the game.

Next time around, please draft a linebacker instead of someone that is going to get mothballed by Killdrive.

He's not "mothballed" he's returning kicks. They had more snaps drawn up for him but we sucked so bad on Sunday they had to abandon it.

Flip Empty
11-12-2012, 08:40 PM
What has David Diehl done to earn the coaches' trust?

egyptian420
11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
2 questions that are killing me:

1)If Martin is still available for us on draft day, do we still take Wilson? According to Mike Garafolo, yes. And he said he's had multiple sources within the organization tell have told him that. I still don't know.

2)If we, by some chance, ended up with Martin, do you think he would actually have more playing time based on those things the coaches talked about, or do you think he would've gotten less carries than he's getting at TB regardless? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we throw him right in there like Tampa did, just don't see it.

Ruttiger711
11-12-2012, 08:42 PM
When was the last time he had a kickoff return that looked like it could break for a TD? The 9ers game? Seems to me like he's getting coached right out of what he instinctively does.

RoanokeFan
11-12-2012, 08:44 PM

1)If Martin is still available for us on draft day, do we still take Wilson? According to Mike Garafolo, yes. And he said he's had multiple sources within the organization tell have told him that. I still don't know.

2)If we, by some chance, ended up with Martin, do you think he would actually have more playing time based on those things the coaches talked about, or do you think he would've gotten less carries than he's getting at TB regardless? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we throw him right in there like Tampa did, just don't see it.

Who really knows? I don't think they are disappointed in Wilson

BigBlueAllDay
11-12-2012, 08:47 PM

In my opinion,

1) Yes
2) Yes he would have gotten more playing than D. Wilson, but he'd still be behind AB in depth.

gmen0820
11-12-2012, 08:47 PM
It'll be very nice to see a fresh Wilson vs worn down December NFL defenses.

Eliscruzzz
11-12-2012, 08:48 PM
What a way to put the Kid down KG. Keep that crap to yourself. KG kills me... he's basically saying that Wilson isn't good enough to start but another rookie is....smh. What are they trying to do to this kid... shatter his confidence?? That's a joke man This kid is every bit as good as Martin and he doesn't see the field?? KG shouldn't be saying this crap to the media. That's the kind of stuff you keep within the team. You don't compare two rookies especially when one has shown what he can do because he plays. How the hell does KG know that if the kid gets 0 playing time??? I know he see's him in practice but he has no idea what this kid could do in a game.

Flip Empty
11-12-2012, 08:51 PM
It'll be very nice to see a fresh Wilson vs worn down December NFL defenses.
You mean vs worn down special teams coverage units, right?

gmen0820
11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
You mean vs worn down special teams coverage units, right? Lmao yeah probably

Tmurda1984
11-12-2012, 09:08 PM
KG is completely right. Most of you fans act as if you are at the practices watching Wilson. The coaching staff see weaknesses in the passing game. Like KG said, Martin ran a pro style offense and was ready to contribute right away....Wilson on the other hand is a whole different story and wasnt asked to do little things like that. Martin reminds me of Emmitt Smith coming out of college, a running back that can catch, block, has great vision even tho he dont have top end speed.

If Wilson wants more time....HE NEEDS TO EARN IT IN PRACTICE. People complain that Wilson is not getting a chance? He gets that damn chance every single day at practice. Even on special teams hes muffing punts, he needs to get better. Why throw him out their to fail? Especially with this offensive line playing the way it is.

ELI_HOF_NYG
11-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Did you read the article? Gilbride explains why Martin starts and Wilson doesn't
whats said in the article is fine and dandy but how about custom tailoring a package of plays which play to his strengths right now? I mean it isnt exactly rocket science,,,,they do this at every level including the nfl.

GMAN2K9
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Took words right out of my mouth!

If they trust DD to full time, they should okay with a RB helping out part time on blitzes!

Stubborn stupidity is killing us!!!

bg79
11-12-2012, 09:23 PM
TC's Trust:

Takes way too damn long to gain and way too damn long to lose.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 09:25 PM
KG is completely right. Most of you fans act as if you are at the practices watching Wilson. The coaching staff see weaknesses in the passing game. Like KG said, Martin ran a pro style offense and was ready to contribute right away....Wilson on the other hand is a whole different story and wasnt asked to do little things like that. Martin reminds me of Emmitt Smith coming out of college, a running back that can catch, block, has great vision even tho he dont have top end speed.

If Wilson wants more time....HE NEEDS TO EARN IT IN PRACTICE. People complain that Wilson is not getting a chance? He gets that damn chance every single day at practice. Even on special teams hes muffing punts, he needs to get better. Why throw him out their to fail? Especially with this offensive line playing the way it is.When did he muff a punt on special teams?

Rusty192
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said: itís about blocking, itís about being able to protect the quarterback.if they gave a *** about Eli they wouldn't be putting Diehl in there. Having DD in on every snap puts Manning at a greater risk of getting injured than having Wilson blocking on a few downs.

bg79
11-12-2012, 09:39 PM
if they gave a *** about Eli they wouldn't be putting Diehl in there. Having DD in on every snap puts Manning at a greater risk of getting injured than having Wilson blocking on a few downs.

Yeah, honestly I really am tired about the whole blocking garbage. Only in the stubborn world of TC is the blocking more important at HB than it is at RT. 3 QB's got knocked out last week with concussions. If Diehl is left in at tackle Eli's time will come by the end of the season.

bigblue2088
11-12-2012, 09:40 PM
How do you gain trust without playing?

Buddy333
11-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I agree about him needing to block but then why are they starting Diehl?

Tmurda1984
11-12-2012, 09:45 PM

David Diehl has had many good years for us. It's not particularly smart to bench a starter for a journeyman who only played good for a couple of games. Sean Locklear has had some TERRIBLE years at Seattle and Washington. Just ask their coaching staff about Locklear, HE'S NOT A LONG TERM ANSWER BY ANY MEANS. Diehl is not good either....Coughlin hands are tied thanks to Reese not upgrading this position. So here you have it....roll with Diehl who won 2 Superbowls, roll with Locklear who has a history of problems, or give that soft bum James Brewer the shot to fail. Take your pick because neither option is good, and you can thank the ALMIGHTY REESE for this mess.

Buddy333
11-12-2012, 09:48 PM
David Diehl has had many good years for us. It's not particularly smart to bench a starter for a journeyman who only played good for a couple of games. Sean Locklear has had some TERRIBLE years at Seattle and Washington. Just ask their coaching staff about Locklear, HE'S NOT A LONG TERM ANSWER BY ANY MEANS. Diehl is not good either....Coughlin hands are tied thanks to Reese not upgrading this position. So here you have it....roll with Diehl who won 2 Superbowls, roll with Locklear who has a history of problems, or give that soft bum James Brewer the shot to fail. Take your pick because neither option is good, and you can thank the ALMIGHTY REESE for this mess.Sorry but I have to disagree. Diehl has been bad for a couple of years now. Maybe it's superstition or something but he is not good. Say what you want about Locklear, he was playing a lot better this year than Diehl has in years. You want to talk about history lets talk about recent history.

Cloud57
11-12-2012, 09:53 PM
It'll be very nice to see a fresh Wilson vs worn down December NFL defenses. maybe next December

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 10:03 PM
David Diehl has had many good years for us. It's not particularly smart to bench a starter for a journeyman who only played good for a couple of games. Sean Locklear has had some TERRIBLE years at Seattle and Washington. Just ask their coaching staff about Locklear, HE'S NOT A LONG TERM ANSWER BY ANY MEANS. Diehl is not good either....Coughlin hands are tied thanks to Reese not upgrading this position. So here you have it....roll with Diehl who won 2 Superbowls, roll with Locklear who has a history of problems, or give that soft bum James Brewer the shot to fail. Take your pick because neither option is good, and you can thank the ALMIGHTY REESE for this mess.What has Diehl done recently to make you think he should start? Actually, how is Diehl better than Locklear? Not in his career, but right now.

Tmurda1984
11-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Is Locklear a long term answer? No! Is Diehl a Long term answer? No. Who has given Coughlin confidence over the years? Diehl, Diehl has started every game and took alot of blame when Baas and Beatty was struggling next to him. Since people like using PFF on Diehl, PFF wasnt do nice to Locklear as well last year. Locklear only got time in washington if there was an injury. This is still a problem Reese should have addressed.

GMAN2K9
11-12-2012, 10:12 PM
whats said in the article is fine and dandy but how about custom tailoring a package of plays which play to his strengths right now? I mean it isnt exactly rocket science,,,,they do this at every level including the nfl.

But that is part of the problem too... they've gotten cute drawing up plays for his "unique" abilities and its backfired because are blockers aren't used to those schemes. This is unnecessary... the kid has blazing speed and bounces off tacklers (had most yds after 1st contact in NCAA last year)... keep it simple stupid and just give him the same plays they've given the ABs -- let's see what happens. Maybe just maybe, his playmaking ability will take over when he sees a hint of daylight (like in the Cleveland game)

GiantWarfare
11-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Whatever the coaches say about Wilson is just noise to me now. Can't take their reasoning seriously when they keep starting Diehl and giving Bradshaw 80-90% of snaps.

FIFTY6G-MAN
11-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Who really knows? I don't think they are disappointed in WilsonFor Once I will bust your bubble. We let rookies waste away on the sideline while our supposed "SEASONED" vets play and get their ***es kicked in! Other teams put their rookies in...AKA Martin and they kick the crap outta the competition. Old school methods are the has been attitude as far as playing time goes. When it comes to the actual old schoolo method of teaching and the rules I agree it should be employed. However, when you have a bunch of rookies you drafted to make your team better........give them the god forsaken chance to do that prior to sitting the bench and taking up SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Other teams do it and we should not be any different!!!! Some of our older guys are costing us games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. DD and AB come to mind for instance. Notice I did not say starters......

nygfan90
11-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm not necessarily mad Wilson isn't starting but what really pissed me off was the fact we're getting blown out and Wilson still doesn't see the field. Really? They couldn't put him in with 9 min remaining when we're losing by 25 points (at that time). I just don't see why they couldn't just sit bradshaw (give him an early start to resting up those feet) and split the carries between brown and wilson. On passing downs, fine put bradshaw in or brown, but give the ball to wilson more in garbage time. Sometime i wonder what the coaches think about during the game.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Is Locklear a long term answer? No! Is Diehl a Long term answer? No. Who has given Coughlin confidence over the years? Diehl, Diehl has started every game and took alot of blame when Baas and Beatty was struggling next to him. Since people like using PFF on Diehl, PFF wasnt do nice to Locklear as well last year. Locklear only got time in washington if there was an injury. This is still a problem Reese should have addressed.It doesn't matter who is a long term answer. We need an answer NOW, and right now Locklear is doing a much better job than Diehl is. You can twist it anyway you want, but facts are facts.

FIFTY6G-MAN
11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not necessarily mad Wilson isn't starting but what really pissed me off was the fact we're getting blown out and Wilson still doesn't see the field. Really? They couldn't put him in with 9 min remaining when we're losing by 25 points (at that time). I just don't see why they couldn't just sit bradshaw (give him an early start to resting up those feet) and split the carries between brown and wilson. On passing downs, fine put bradshaw in or brown, but give the ball to wilson more in garbage time. Sometime i wonder what the coaches think about during the game.I am on your side. However, Even being my age, there are some scuttle on here that will not budge on the subject.\

I have coached football for a little over 10 years, and this is what I have to say.

When you bring in new talent......you excercise that talent until so said talent is not talent anymore. Which actually means we draft first and second rounders for a reason......which is who you are replacing is NO LONGER completing his objective at so said position!!!!! YOU ARE REPLACEABLE!!

END OF SERMON!!

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I'll just say this.
Yes, I understand that he needs to learn, I get that.
But how is he going to learn by sitting on the bench his rookie year?
Don't say he's out of the dog house when he's still on the bench getting 2 carries in garbage time. That's a little ridiculous.

FIFTY6G-MAN
11-12-2012, 11:06 PM
I'll just say this.
Yes, I understand that he needs to learn, I get that.
But how is he going to learn by sitting on the bench his rookie year?
Don't say he's out of the dog house when he's still on the bench getting 2 carries in garbage time. That's a little ridiculous.UH-OHyou are agreeing with me, this is dangerous ground dear/ LOL

jintsfan666
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM

Not necessarily the Giants though.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:17 PM
UH-OHyou are agreeing with me, this is dangerous ground dear/ LOLhaha

FIFTY6G-MAN
11-12-2012, 11:18 PM
hahaGood to have you back dear. I know the chatroom was a bad deal. still love ya though.

Rudyy
11-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Good to have you back dear. I know the chatroom was a bad deal. still love ya though.Thanks man, you too.

ALLnygIN
11-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Let's face it... we won't be seeing much of wilson till next season.. Either he's really horrible right now... or that the coaches wont take any chances with him becuase they have a seasoned vet in Bradshaw, who don't get me wrong I love bradshaw, just aint getting it done which is more likely.

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Let's face it... we won't be seeing much of wilson till next season.. Either he's really horrible right now... or that the coaches wont take any chances with him becuase they have a seasoned vet in Bradshaw, who don't get me wrong I love bradshaw, just aint getting it done which is more likely.yeah what a wasted year, no experience and no playing time coming into next season, and he will still be sitting on the bench behind Bradshaw

TheShouldersOf
11-13-2012, 12:17 AM
When was the last time he had a kickoff return that looked like it could break for a TD? The 9ers game? Seems to me like he's getting coached right out of what he instinctively does.

Nail Meet Head,

i concur,

though, most of what the NFL does takes away the instinctual nature of players, with the over complexity for the sake of being 'Overly Complex' it's a bragging right almost,

which i believe is whats happening to JPP, which is another subject

Flip Empty
11-13-2012, 12:20 AM
They put Wilson in early on during the week 1 Dallas game. If they were so concerned about him that wouldn't have happened.

What's changed between then and now?

egyptian420
11-13-2012, 12:32 AM
In my opinion,

1) Yes
2) Yes he would have gotten more playing than D. Wilson, but he'd still be behind AB in depth.Interesting, I'm not really sure about #1, I guess no one does but Reese, but I totally agree with you on #2.

Ruttiger711
11-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Nail Meet Head,i concur,though, most of what the NFL does takes away the instinctual nature of players, with the over complexity for the sake of being 'Overly Complex' it's a bragging right almost,which i believe is whats happening to JPP, which is another subjectI think they're asking him to look for too much and react to the coverage. I get it, but this kid is a lightning bolt and unless other teams have a greyhound on the practice squad they aren't prepped for his speed. Teams should be reacting to Wilson on the kicks, not the other way around.

BlueSanta
11-13-2012, 07:30 AM
I have a problem with what the coaches are saying publicly on this issue. They say he isnt getting time because of the "other things" such as protection and recieving.

I find hypocricy in these statements.

Regarding protection, if it is the reason why Wilson isnt playing ok, that's understandable. But then why do we play DD over Locklear, who has CLEARLY been the better protector?

Regarding recieving, I think this will be an issue when we bother even trying to throw to our Runningbacks, which we just do not do. AB had less than 2 receptions per game this year. Furthermore, Brown is by FAR our best recieving back. Anyone who saw him play in college knows this. So why wouldnt this arguement work in his favor with regards to playtime over Bradshaw?

I have no problem with TC's program to develop backs. he doesnt play them as Rookies much at all until late in the season. But go ahead and say that then. Dont tell us the reason he isnt playing is because he isnt good at protection then start Deihl over Locklear. Dont tell us he isnt playing because of his recieving skills when we almost never throw to our backs.

jakegibbs
11-13-2012, 07:37 AM

Read the article for what? The reason Martin starts & Wilson doesn't is obvious. Martin produces & Wilson doesn't.
Let's all forget about Wilson he won't even be on this team in 2 years. Again; many a rookie RB has stormed into the NFL year after year after year & they'll be another next year. Wilson has to be a very unimpressive or maybe mediocer in practice or he'd be playing a lot. End of story. I thought when he took it to the house in the 4th quarter in the early part of the season that would kick start his career. Obvisously that was not the norm. Forget about it.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Read the article for what? The reason Martin starts & Wilson doesn't is obvious. Martin produces & Wilson doesn't.
Let's all forget about Wilson he won't even be on this team in 2 years. Again; many a rookie RB has stormed into the NFL year after year after year & they'll be another next year. Wilson has to be a very unimpressive or maybe mediocer in practice or he'd be playing a lot. End of story. I thought when he took it to the house in the 4th quarter in the early part of the season that would kick start his career. Obvisously that was not the norm. Forget about it.

You could have scored that TD as well as Wilson did. So you'd rather not read the why from his position coach and just continue to rant?

gumby74
11-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Usually, the worse a team is, the better chance a rookie has of starting right away. Going into this season, AB was our obvious #1. Tampa didn't have an obvious #1. Short of a few positions, any person we draft won't be starting anyway because we're pretty solid in most areas.

gumby74
11-13-2012, 11:35 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/45618/the-giants-first-round-picks-and-patience

Ruttiger711
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/45618/the-giants-first-round-picks-and-patience

"...blocking, blitz pickup, catching the ball, etc. These were things Wilson was not asked to do in Virginia Tech's offense"

First round is a high pick for a "project" no? Lightning struck once with JPP.