PDA

View Full Version : Giants' RB Coach Says It Is Time For David Wilson To "Grow Up And Be A Man"

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 06:50 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...#axzz2C3Sv47GU (http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/giants_grow_coach_says_and_man_time_fiMrZakwDq3KdN SqfggaZJ#axzz2C3Sv47GU)

Excerpt: "David Wilson isn’t playing much at all as a rookie, as the first-round pick from Virginia Tech has only 18 rushing attempts in the first 10 games. First-year running backs can get on the field fairly quickly – see Doug Martin for the Buccaneers – but Wilson hasn’t been able to convince the Giants’ coaching staff that he is trustworthy enough to put on the field.

“David has to learn you can’t be just a runner, that’s not what we do, you have to be a complete running back, you have to be knowledgeable, you have to be smart, you can’t just accept your mistakes,’’ running backs coach Jerald Ingram said on Monday.

Ingram cited Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw as running backs who sat on the bench until they learned the lessons that Wilson is struggling to master. Pass protection and blocking assignments are essential skills for a running back in the Giants system and until Wilson gets them he’ll continue to sit.Even though he’s a first-round pick.

“Just because you’re a first-round draft pick doesn’t mean you’re ready to play or they all would be great,’’ Ingram said.

“It’s about winning games, it’s not a popularity contest. It’s time for you to grow up and be a man now and see what you can do with the whole ball of wax. Until he proves that it’s hard to stick him out there and feel comfortable.’’ Read more...

Gimaniac
11-13-2012, 07:14 AM
How is he going to prove anything riding the pine?

Redeyejedi
11-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Wilson and the Giants appear to be frustrated. These issues with Wilson were pretty evident before the draft. U dont take a raw RB in the first round. Its why I had him graded 20 picks later. The Giants panicked and reached when Doug Martin went off the board. It is what it is, u want to take high upside physically talented players that lack fundamentals u have to wait till fundamentals catch up. Im not crazy about this strategy on offense. I think intelligence and fundamentals is more valued then raw physical talent on offense.

Ruttiger711
11-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Ugh - that certainly could have been handled better. Ingram seems to be taking out his frustration with the calls for Wilson on Wilson himself. "Be a man"? Poorly delivered message.

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 07:38 AM
If he can't lock he won't play. I get that. Now what about OL's that seem to be struggling?

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 07:51 AM

It's called practice and team meetings

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 07:52 AM
If he can't lock he won't play. I get that. Now what about OL's that seem to be struggling?

Two different problems, this is a thread about Wilson.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Ugh - that certainly could have been handled better. Ingram seems to be taking out his frustration with the calls for Wilson on Wilson himself. "Be a man"? Poorly delivered message.

Sometimes that's what it takes. Do we know how Wilson is interacting with the team?

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Two different problems, this is a thread about Wilson.Not trying to twist things up, but my point was blocking. If its not good for one why s it good for another.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Not trying to twist things up, but my point was blocking. If its not good for one why s it good for another.

A lot of people here are so hell bent on trashing Diehl it's become all consuming. PFF grades players every game but now that they say Diehl didn't do that bad a job, PFF is wrong.

Gimaniac
11-13-2012, 08:18 AM
It's called practice and team meetings

You were there?

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 08:28 AM
So what did you think about his performance watching the game? Do you think they where a better OL before or after he started?

Ruttiger711
11-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Sometimes that's what it takes. Do we know how Wilson is interacting with the team?True - for all we know this message has been delivered the "proper" way for some time now.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 08:42 AM
You were there? I trust the coaches to know more than I do.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 08:47 AM
So what did you think about his performance watching the game? Do you think they where a better OL before or after he started? I think the OLine has sucked for a long time which is why we have no running game. I think Locklear is better than Diehl. I know I don't know more than the coaches.

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Nor do I but they are capable of making mistakes too. Maybe they are not. I believe they are making the right decision with holding off on Wilson, but I don't know why they like Diehl over Locklear. To the common fan it seems like Locklear was playing a lot better than Diehl. Maybe I'm missing something. I have been saying its not all his fault, but since Diehl has been back Eli has been pressured more.

Gimaniac
11-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I trust the coaches to know more than I do.

I guess we'll have to assume its during practice since he sees so little playing time.

His KRs don't seem to have much kick anymore either, but he's not the only one.

GameTime
11-13-2012, 09:14 AM

its called "what they see in practice".......

hey the coach is putting it out there.....The kid has to learn the game and apparently he is having trouble.

ryan12
11-13-2012, 09:18 AM

hey the coach is putting it out there.....The kid has to learn the game and apparently he is having trouble.

agreed maybe he isnt ready yet. does that mean he will never be ready? i dont think so he has the speed and runs hard and i think he will be an important part of our offense for years to come.. the future is wilson

GameTime
11-13-2012, 09:20 AM
agreed maybe he isnt ready yet. does that mean he will never be ready? i dont think so he has the speed and runs hard and i think he will be an important part of our offense for years to come.. the future is wilson

maybe they should at least get him plays that protection is not an issue to at least get him on the field.....

Gimaniac
11-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Link?

ryan12
11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
maybe they should at least get him plays that protection is not an issue to at least get him on the field.....

i feel they should give him some type of oppurtunity he is to explosive to get 2 snaps a game exp when bradshaw thinks he is on dancing with the stars lol

SCRREEEEENNN!

GameTime
11-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Link?
dont need a link....
the teams practice. the coaches watch them. thats their job....
why do you need a link to assume what the coaches see in practice is not been favorable???
Ingram said it....he is not up to the protection ability.....

repeatchamps
11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
i feel they should give him some type of oppurtunity he is to explosive to get 2 snaps a game exp when bradshaw thinks he is on dancing with the stars lol

SCRREEEEENNN!

The Giants do not run many designed screens for the running backs. Perhaps they should but it is atypical of the Giants to run even just one RB screen a game.

Gimaniac
11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
dont need a link....
the teams practice. the coaches watch them. thats their job....
why do you need a link to assume what the coaches see in practice is not been favorable???
Ingram said it....he is not up to the protection ability.....

No link needed to assume.

GameTime
11-13-2012, 09:30 AM
No link needed to assume.

OK....so I guess Wilson is a superstar and running up and down the field in practice while covering all his protections and the coaches just dont want him to play..

that makes more sense....

Harooni
11-13-2012, 09:33 AM
im telling you guys it was his media session that TC disliked. he got out of the doghouse after that fumble .

Gimaniac
11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
OK....so I guess Wilson is a superstar and running up and down the field in practice while covering all his protections and the coaches just dont want him to play..

that makes more sense....

Well you were using quotes, so I assumed you were quoting someone.

I am also assuming Wilson is not getting it done in practice.

Flip Empty
11-13-2012, 09:35 AM

This. Hell, defenses assume he's getting the ball when steps on to the field, so why not use him as a decoy? Just something to get him involved and not look like an outsider.

They used him out wide on a screen in pre-season (and against the Panthers, I think) - where's that play gone?

Ruttiger711
11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
im telling you guys it was his media session that TC disliked. he got out of the doghouse after that fumble .

The Hall of Fame aspiration? that one?

Dwinsballgames
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
This. Hell, defenses assume he's getting the ball when steps on to the field, so why not use him as a decoy? Just something to get him involved and not look like an outsider.

They used him out wide on a screen in pre-season (and against the Panthers, I think) - where's that play gone?

If you use him as a decoy, then doesn't he have to block and know the protections, etc.

Gimaniac
11-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Do you mean the one where he said he was going to the hall of fame? Yeah, that was a bit hard to stomach.

Harooni
11-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Do you mean the one where he said he was going to the hall of fame? Yeah, that was a bit hard to stomach. yeah the one he said he was better than the morning after pill. Not cool and the rookie got spanked by the coach. he will return, TC is a discipline coach. I like Wilson, loved the pick too, but they all have to learn.

BigBlue wins
11-13-2012, 09:44 AM
A lot of people here are so hell bent on trashing Diehl it's become all consuming. PFF grades players every game but now that they say Diehl didn't do that bad a job, PFF is wrong.

RF, it was one game. Diehl consistently has a negative grade according to PFF. They even alluded to mysterious reasoning why Locklear has been benched for Diehl. So for once he had a positive grade. I don't care what PFF says anyway. Diehl is good for at least a sack every game he plays.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
maybe they should at least get him plays that protection is not an issue to at least get him on the field..... They actually had plays drawn up for Wilson on Sunday but things went south so fast they had tp abandon that plan.

TheAnalyst
11-13-2012, 09:52 AM
He can't just be a runner? Really? Then why did you draft him? Cause thats ALL he was in college!

Like I always say, RBs are a dime a dozen. Build a great OLINE and you can get a 1000 rusher anywhere (Bradshaw, Jacobs, Ward...ect). Was not a fan of this draft pick from day 1. Hope I eat those words someday. Even his return skills deminished.

GameTime
11-13-2012, 09:54 AM
yeah the one he said he was better than the morning after pill. Not cool and the rookie got spanked by the coach. he will return, TC is a discipline coach. I like Wilson, loved the pick too, but they all have to learn.

wholly crap....he said the morning after thing?? I didnt even know that. What a dumbass......

JesseJames
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
if all the team wants is better blocking they should have just drafted a good fullback..

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 10:22 AM
just trade him already, I'm sure he will be more productive on other teams.

RagTime Blue
11-13-2012, 10:27 AM
He can't just be a runner? Really? Then why did you draft him? Cause thats ALL he was in college!

Like I always say, RBs are a dime a dozen. Build a great OLINE and you can get a 1000 rusher anywhere (Bradshaw, Jacobs, Ward...ect). Was not a fan of this draft pick from day 1. Hope I eat those words someday. Even his return skills deminished.

I would love to see the Giants take a Center or Guard early in the next draft. It sucks that we have to pass on 3rd and 1 because there's no push up front.

But at the same time, you need talent at the RB position, and we had none going into that draft.

repeatchamps
11-13-2012, 10:28 AM
if all the team wants is better blocking they should just drafted a good fullback..

The Giants rarely keep a Fullback in to pass protect. If Hynoski or Pascoe are in the game at FB/H-Back on a pass play they are often running routes out in the flats.

dezzzR
11-13-2012, 10:28 AM
People forget that Brown will start before Wilson. I said this in another thread, what pisses me off is how much the coaching staff preaches rbs need to know how to block, but then they start a lineman that cant block. Wilson needs gametime experience. And if I remember correctly Bradshaw missed a ton of assignments 07, and 09. I remember Eli grabbing him by the facemask. Coaching staff is too focused on the blocking imo.

bigblue58
11-13-2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...#axzz2C3Sv47GU (http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/giants_grow_coach_says_and_man_time_fiMrZakwDq3KdN SqfggaZJ#axzz2C3Sv47GU)

Excerpt: "David Wilson isn’t playing much at all as a rookie, as the first-round pick from Virginia Tech has only 18 rushing attempts in the first 10 games. First-year running backs can get on the field fairly quickly – see Doug Martin for the Buccaneers – but Wilson hasn’t been able to convince the Giants’ coaching staff that he is trustworthy enough to put on the field.

“David has to learn you can’t be just a runner, that’s not what we do, you have to be a complete running back, you have to be knowledgeable, you have to be smart, you can’t just accept your mistakes,’’ running backs coach Jerald Ingram said on Monday.

Ingram cited Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw as running backs who sat on the bench until they learned the lessons that Wilson is struggling to master. Pass protection and blocking assignments are essential skills for a running back in the Giants system and until Wilson gets them he’ll continue to sit.Even though he’s a first-round pick.

“Just because you’re a first-round draft pick doesn’t mean you’re ready to play or they all would be great,’’ Ingram said.

“It’s about winning games, it’s not a popularity contest. It’s time for you to grow up and be a man now and see what you can do with the whole ball of wax. Until he proves that it’s hard to stick him out there and feel comfortable.’’ Read more...

This was very illuminating to read because it shows the depth of the Giants stubbornness!
So, according to this, in the Giants' world, it makes sense to keep running Bradshaw who hasn't been effective all season, because he knows how to block, and sit Wilson, who has shown great ability to move the chains and the pile, because he doesn't know how to block?
It's starting to become much clearer the reason why the Giants struggle every year when they should be dominating games. The running game with Bradshaw sucks and is doing nothing to open up the pass, and so what we have kids who can now run circles around Bradshaw and help Eli's passing game......we won't use them til they know how to do EVERYTHING!
I hope that the Giants coaching staff finds comfort in never having compromised their principles when the season is a total loss and they're sitting at home watching the playoffs!!!!!!

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I would love to see the Giants take a Center or Guard early in the next draft. It sucks that we have to pass on 3rd and 1 because there's no push up front.

But at the same time, you need talent at the RB position, and we had none going into that draft. yeah we need a large RB like Jacobs, we only have 3 small RBs

bg79
11-13-2012, 10:32 AM
We're going to wait till Wilson is close to past his prime age wise and riddled with injuries before we get any use out of him. RB has the shortest shelf life out of all the positions, we should be using them up as early as possible to get the maximum amount of value out of them.

bg79
11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
People forget that Brown will start before Wilson. I said this in another thread, what pisses me off is how much the coaching staff preaches rbs need to know how to block, but then they start a lineman that cant block. Wilson needs gametime experience. And if I remember correctly Bradshaw missed a ton of assignments 07, and 09. I remember Eli grabbing him by the facemask. Coaching staff is too focused on the blocking imo.

They're the same way with TE. In an NFL where teams are drafting and using dynamic TE's to get favorable passing matchups we're going old school with more of an emphasis on blocking out of a TE than athleticism.

RagTime Blue
11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
and sit Wilson, who has shown great ability to move the chains and the pile. . .

As a whole, Wilson's runs from scrimmage have been poor. I'm in no hurry to see more of that. I do think he'll be a good player, but right now, he isn't.

repeatchamps
11-13-2012, 10:41 AM

But at the same time, you need talent at the RB position, and we had none going into that draft.

They may need a Right Tackle too if Brewer isn't the answer as I don't see Diehl not being cut or being forced to take a major cut in salary (Reese will force it) as he is due to make a boat laod of money that he clearly is not earning anymore. Maybe they keep Locklear if they feel Brewer needs one more season. The question is can they afford to not draft any defense early in the draft? Will they have resources to look to free agency to help the LB'ers (Chase and Herzlich are limtied talent wise, Rivers cannot seem to stay healthy and Boley is starting to get up there in age, Paysinger is a depth guy. Jacquain is the future for one spot but Kiwi will likely be playing more DE with Osi leaving for sure) and D-line and maybe even the secondary? They may need to spend a bit more than normal on better talent to bolster the defense if they are set on drafting O-line players that can start right away early in the draft. Sometimes free agent O-linemen are better fixes than defensive free agents. Will be interesting to see which strategy they will employ.

bigblue58
11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
This story puts in a nutshell how Coughlin's stubbornness permeates the coaching staff...... hamstringing the team's ability to sustain success throughout a season!

giants8493
11-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Two different problems, this is a thread about Wilson.No pass protection is pass protection. A=A. Same problem.

dakotajoe
11-13-2012, 10:56 AM
They actually had plays drawn up for Wilson on Sunday but things went south so fast they had tp abandon that plan.

This sounds like the time where the team would want Wilson in the game. Down by more the two scores, which player gives you the best chance of hitting the home-run to close the gap? My answer is Wilson, which is why I'm befuddled by the situation.

The Bengal's game was the perfect situation to put in Wilson. Bradshaw fumbled in the red-zone in a crucial situation. All the stars aligned perfectly for a the 1st round draft pick to get some playing time.

When the Giants were down by over three scores, did they think they could actually win the game by running draws while dinking and dunking? What a BS quote by, was it Gilbride or someone else?

egyptian420
11-13-2012, 10:56 AM
yeah the one he said he was better than the morning after pill. Not cool and the rookie got spanked by the coach. he will return, TC is a discipline coach. I like Wilson, loved the pick too, but they all have to learn.Bro...can you change your sig? I'm in my university's library and I don't even feel like reading the forums because people might see your gay a## picture

Dwinsballgames
11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Bro...can you change your sig? I'm in my university's library and I don't even feel like reading the forums because people might see your gay a## picture

not much social diversity up there in canada, eh?

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
RF, it was one game. Diehl consistently has a negative grade according to PFF. They even alluded to mysterious reasoning why Locklear has been benched for Diehl. So for once he had a positive grade. I don't care what PFF says anyway. Diehl is good for at least a sack every game he plays.

I know it was one game, he graded out at +1.3. I also think Locklear is better than Diehl but I'm not going to second guess the coaches.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 11:18 AM
This sounds like the time where the team would want Wilson in the game. Down by more the two scores, which player gives you the best chance of hitting the home-run to close the gap? My answer is Wilson, which is why I'm befuddled by the situation.

The Bengal's game was the perfect situation to put in Wilson. Bradshaw fumbled in the red-zone in a crucial situation. All the stars aligned perfectly for a the 1st round draft pick to get some playing time.

When the Giants were down by over three scores, did they think they could actually win the game by running draws while dinking and dunking? What a BS quote by, was it Gilbride or someone else?

Brown started the game which was a major departure from the norm and he also got more snaps than any other game that Bradshaw played in. There is something about Wilson that they don't trust and I'm not gong to second guess them on it.

nycisgreat
11-13-2012, 11:21 AM

I agree with Ingram. Good read.

Moke
11-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Brown started the game which was a major departure from the norm and he also got more snaps than any other game that Bradshaw played in. There is something about Wilson that they don't trust and I'm not gong to second guess them on it.I wouldn't either. There HAS to be a reason why they aren't playing Wilson as much.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree with Ingram. Good read.

We are in the minority on that :o

Dwinsballgames
11-13-2012, 11:24 AM

I guess the odds would be better if there weren't so many HOF coaches on these boards

Moke
11-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I guess the odds would be better if there weren't so many HOF coaches on these boardsI think we are all fully capable of being HOF coaches here, including you!

egyptian420
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
not much social diversity up there in canada, eh?Definitely more so than in the US you can trust that, just come to Toronto. However, I don't want people in the library seeing me and thinking I'm looking at pics of dudes with their shirts off. Got nothing against gays but I'll be damend if people think that's how I roll.

Dwinsballgames
11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Definitely more so than in the US you can trust that, just come to Toronto. However, I don't want people in the library seeing me and thinking I'm looking at pics of dudes with their shirts off. Got nothing against gays but I'll be damend if people think that's how I roll.

all evidence to the contrary aside... LOL

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I guess the odds would be better if there weren't so many HOF coaches on these boards

+1

giants8493
11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I guess the odds would be better if there weren't so many HOF coaches on these boards Lol... as if You need to be a HOF coach to be able to tell who is better then who. Pretty sure peewee coaches have to decide who to play to....

nycisgreat
11-13-2012, 12:03 PM

The last thing we need is a hurt Eli.

Dwinsballgames
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Lol... as if You need to be a HOF coach to be able to tell who is better then who. Pretty sure peewee coaches have to decide who to play to....

are u saying hat a pee wee coach could do as good a job with the Giants as the current coaching staff? Cause if you are I would have to disagree. But I find it funny (or tragic) that so many folks on here think they know better than TC or KG or PF or JR or the position coaches about who should be playing and who shouldn't. I know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinon, but it just seems that some folks actually believe they know better.

footballinsider
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Wilsons lack of playing time is definitely concerning. To take someone in the first round might not secure them major minutes but it usually shows a team has a plan for that player in a contributing role of some sort early on. Only so much can be learned outside of games. Iv been following the giants players twitter and blogs at http://bit.ly/RRI87k and there seems to be some disconnect with the players and coaching staff on the direction of the football team. This team has major talent, and we play this up and down game every year but we have to keep developing our young talent while we have a top 5 quarterback at the helm.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Lol... as if You need to be a HOF coach to be able to tell who is better then who. Pretty sure peewee coaches have to decide who to play to....

What have you seen Wilson do in the NFL that would leap him ahead of Brown?

Ruttiger711
11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Anyone follow "In Reese We Trust" from Big Blue United? - he posting that the Giants are working our Kalil Bell today.

Could be bad news on Bradshaw's neck...

giantsforce
11-13-2012, 12:37 PM
are u saying hat a pee wee coach could do as good a job with the Giants as the current coaching staff? Cause if you are I would have to disagree. But I find it funny (or tragic) that so many folks on here think they know better than TC or KG or PF or JR or the position coaches about who should be playing and who shouldn't. I know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinon, but it just seems that some folks actually believe they know better.I do not pretend that I know more than the "geniuses" Giants coaching staff, but I know this: So, far what they have put together is not working and I am not seeing anything done about it. It is especially disturbing when the HC says "I do not know know why this is happening". Well, you are getting paid to fix this and if you do not know then make room for someone who knows. This collapse is not new. It has happened every 7 out of the 9 years Coughlin has been here. So, those of you who "trust" this coaching staff you are accepting mediocrity as the norm.

rainierjef
11-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Wilson and the Giants appear to be frustrated. These issues with Wilson were pretty evident before the draft. U dont take a raw RB in the first round. Its why I had him graded 20 picks later. The Giants panicked and reached when Doug Martin went off the board. It is what it is, u want to take high upside physically talented players that lack fundamentals u have to wait till fundamentals catch up. Im not crazy about this strategy on offense. I think intelligence and fundamentals is more valued then raw physical talent on offense.

People who don't follow the players going into the draft will just tell you " shut up in reese we trust."
for those that spend time watching the tape, listening to the analyst, creating every mock scenario for their team or all teams from round 1 to UDFA.

We Approve this post.

Eliscruzzz
11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Lol the coaching staff is really starting to piss me off. What is the kid a o-linemen or a RB??

joemorrisforprez
11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
This story just makes me sad.

Next year, let's please draft a linebacker.

Or, let's sign an UFA offensive lineman and convert him to linebacker, being that's the only thing we value in a running back now.

BlueSanta
11-13-2012, 01:11 PM
People who don't follow the players going into the draft will just tell you " shut up in reese we trust."
for those that spend time watching the tape, listening to the analyst, creating every mock scenario for their team or all teams from round 1 to UDFA.

We Approve this post.

Mayock must be 1 of those "youtube"watchers huh?

Mike Mayock – NFL.com
Mayock's take: "People talk about how quick and fast Wilson is, but he's so explosive north and south. He doesn't just try to make you miss laterally. This is a football player. And if you go to New York to play for Tom Coughlin, you better be nothing less. Great pick by the Giants."

Ill say it again, TC does not play rookie RBs. He never has for any Rookie RB selected by the Giants. At least, not until late in the season. Go back to 2007 and you heard the EXACT same rhetoric about Bradshaw. "he needs to grow up, he needs to learn other facets of the game, etc" We actually started Rueben Droughns for a game rather than give Ab a shot in 2007. It wasnt until the last week of november before Ab was introduced to the offense. Before then, he was a kick returner.

Nobody here will tell you Wilson was more NFL ready than Martin, but the Giants dont draft for tommorrow, they draft for the long haul and this kid will be about the same age when his rookie contract is up as Martin is RIGHT NOW. That is how young he is. I certainly agree that it would be nice to see him on the field more, but TC is the boss and he has gotten us 2 rings. If he has a system, I cant knock it.

Imgrate
11-13-2012, 01:15 PM
You don't use first round picks on running backs that won't see the field. Absolutely ******ed pick.

Imgrate
11-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Mayock must be 1 of those "youtube"watchers huh?Mike Mayock – NFL.comMayock's take: "People talk about how quick and fast Wilson is, but he's so explosive north and south. He doesn't just try to make you miss laterally. This is a football player. And if you go to New York to play for Tom Coughlin, you better be nothing less. Great pick by the Giants."Ill say it again, TC does not play rookie RBs. He never has for any Rookie RB selected by the Giants. At least, not until late in the season. Go back to 2007 and you heard the EXACT same rhetoric about Bradshaw. "he needs to grow up, he needs to learn other facets of the game, etc" We actually started Rueben Droughns for a game rather than give Ab a shot in 2007. It wasnt until the last week of november before Ab was introduced to the offense. Before then, he was a kick returner. Nobody here will tell you Wilson was more NFL ready than Martin, but the Giants dont draft for tommorrow, they draft for the long haul and this kid will be about the same age when his rookie contract is up as Martin is RIGHT NOW. That is how young he is. I certainly agree that it would be nice to see him on the field more, but TC is the boss and he has gotten us 2 rings. If he has a system, I cant knock it.One of your arguments when I was down on the the pick was that because of how draft picks are getting paid and how the value is Channing that it was ok to draft players and then not resign them. My biggest fear about David Wilson is that he'll become a great running back and we'll be forced to party him as such. Teams with big salary rbs do not have a high percentage of having a good team. Minny Tennessee, jax and now Philly.

joemorrisforprez
11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Whoa.....just had this crazy Tryone Wheatley flashback.

That was wild, man.

Harooni
11-13-2012, 01:25 PM
wholly crap....he said the morning after thing?? I didnt even know that. What a dumbass...... I was half joking, he said he was like birth control.. reliable.

BMW
11-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Just let him freaking run already, not like he will do any worse than Bradshaw.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 01:38 PM
I was half joking, he said he was like birth control.. reliable.

There are comments in life I try to block out and you are NOT helping right now :confused:

Rudyy
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Just let him freaking run already, not like he will do any worse than Bradshaw.​but he can't block.

Rusty192
11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
are u saying hat a pee wee coach could do as good a job with the Giants as the current coaching staff? Cause if you are I would have to disagree. But I find it funny (or tragic) that so many folks on here think they know better than TC or KG or PF or JR or the position coaches about who should be playing and who shouldn't. I know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinon, but it just seems that some folks actually believe they know better.I very much wish that Wilson could be out there from the explosiveness that he showed in the pre-season. but I agree we have to trust the coaches on this one for sure. There are reasons he is not given much playing time that we prob have no idea about. The staff obviously feels like they cant trust him for now. Like him basically stealing the ball from Randle on that one kickoff lol probably haven't helped his cause.

Although I will say this: Its not like our veteran players (bradshaw) are being great examples of ball security or team leadership lately. (smacking Cruz in front of whole stadium, jawing with TC etc... and generally being ineffective.)

Brown 2012!

rainierjef
11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Mayock must be 1 of those "youtube"watchers huh?

Mike Mayock – NFL.com
Mayock's take: "People talk about how quick and fast Wilson is, but he's so explosive north and south. He doesn't just try to make you miss laterally. This is a football player. And if you go to New York to play for Tom Coughlin, you better be nothing less. Great pick by the Giants."

Ill say it again, TC does not play rookie RBs. He never has for any Rookie RB selected by the Giants. At least, not until late in the season. Go back to 2007 and you heard the EXACT same rhetoric about Bradshaw. "he needs to grow up, he needs to learn other facets of the game, etc" We actually started Rueben Droughns for a game rather than give Ab a shot in 2007. It wasnt until the last week of november before Ab was introduced to the offense. Before then, he was a kick returner.

Nobody here will tell you Wilson was more NFL ready than Martin, but the Giants dont draft for tommorrow, they draft for the long haul and this kid will be about the same age when his rookie contract is up as Martin is RIGHT NOW. That is how young he is. I certainly agree that it would be nice to see him on the field more, but TC is the boss and he has gotten us 2 rings. If he has a system, I cant knock it.

I was more responding to "The Giants panicked and reached when Doug Martin went off the board." than anything else; maybe this post was meant for Redeye.
I am fully aware of what was said by mayock when we drafted Wilson, but doesn't change the fact that he was a raw athletic talent. Just like JPP we struck lighting in a bottle on that pick, probably Reese trust his luck on those type of picks more than getting pro ready players.

Right now your argument is he will be great eventually, and by that time he will be still younger than martin who is great now. well here is my question to you "how long is the wait?"
Do not take this the wrong way i am not saying Wilson is a bad player, I just want to know Is it that he really can't block out of the back field? he can't catch? he cant read his blocks? his vision isn't good? he's not smart to pick up this offense? what is it? how long is the wait?

edit: we are working out Khalil Bell ffs.

gumby74
11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
​but he can't block. Are you downplaying that?

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
​but he can't block. if he can't block you don't play him on passing plays

Toadofsteel
11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I was more responding to "The Giants panicked and reached when Doug Martin went off the board." than anything else; maybe this post was meant for Redeye.
I am fully aware of what was said by mayock when we drafted Wilson, but doesn't change the fact that he was a raw athletic talent. Just like JPP we struck lighting in a bottle on that pick, probably Reese trust his luck on those type of picks more than getting pro ready players.

Right now your argument is he will be great eventually, and by that time he will be still younger than martin who is great now. well here is my question to you "how long is the wait?"
Do not take this the wrong way i am not saying Wilson is a bad player, I just want to know Is it that he really can't block out of the back field? he can't catch? he cant read his blocks? his vision isn't good? he's not smart to pick up this offense? what is it? how long is the wait?

There is the fact that JPP had a whole lot of nothing his rookie year. People didn't even know his name and probably knew him as "the guy that did the backflips" while Tuck and Osi were starting...

dezzzR
11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
if he can't block you don't play him on passing playsThats not obvious or anything...

Imgrate
11-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Are you downplaying that?many of the "best" rbs in the league are among the worst pass blockers. AP CJ2k and McCoy

repeatchamps
11-13-2012, 02:07 PM
There is the fact that JPP had a whole lot of nothing his rookie year. People didn't even know his name and probably knew him as "the guy that did the backflips" while Tuck and Osi were starting...

In 2010 the Giants had a top 7 defense so other than the Eagles and Packers debacles towards the end of the season they were pretty darn good defensively even if JPP was not a major contributor. With that in mind, JPP managed 4.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in a year where he apparently had a "whole lot of nothing."

Dwinsballgames
11-13-2012, 02:13 PM
I do not pretend that I know more than the "geniuses" Giants coaching staff, but I know this: So, far what they have put together is not working and I am not seeing anything done about it. It is especially disturbing when the HC says "I do not know know why this is happening". Well, you are getting paid to fix this and if you do not know then make room for someone who knows. This collapse is not new. It has happened every 7 out of the 9 years Coughlin has been here. So, those of you who "trust" this coaching staff you are accepting mediocrity as the norm.

Fine I accept mediocrity if it means a superbowl victory every 5 years. We re in first place in the division too BTW. but no, you are right, let's let the geniuses on the message board decide what to do.

ShakeandBake
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Thats not obvious or anything...

Bingo, opposing teams will pickup on this very quickly, which is something many people on these boards seem to fail to understand.

OX1
11-13-2012, 02:32 PM

With bennet out (??) and diehl in, how many of those plays will there be........

joemorrisforprez
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Someone ask Jim Brown about all the blocking he did back in the day.

I'm not comparing Wilson to Jim Brown.....I'm just saying that nobody calls Jim Brown the best RB of all time because of his blocking.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/brownjimadd.html

Before the 1964 season, former Cleveland quarterback Otto Graham lashed out at Brown's blocking ability and said Cleveland would not win anything as long as Brown was there.

Cleveland won the NFL championship that season.

BlueSanta
11-13-2012, 02:56 PM

My arguement is not that "he will be great eventually." It is that nothing has changed. EVERYONE thought Martin would be better out of the gates. EVERYONE knows TC doesnt play Rookie RBs early. What has changed?

I keep bringing this up and people keep ignoring it. The Giants under TC have never played any of their rookie RBs early. We have drafted 3 while under TC has been our coach and all them didnt play much their rookie year. Bradshaw didnt touch the football till late november, cept for kickoff returns despite us losing Jacobs and Ward for 1 game mid/late season. We started Rueben Droughns who was like 99 years old instead of Bradshaw. In fact, of all the RBs drafted under TC, we have played Wilson more than any of them to this point in the season.

I completely understand how frustrating this is, I am there with you. I want to see him play too. But, this is how TC does it. Agree or disagree this is what we have. As far as Khalil Bell being tried out, that really means nothing to me. They are trying him because of some potential serious injuries to Bradshaw. If bradshaw is out, then we need a guy to replace him on the roster. We could have all the confidence and faith in Wilson + Brown and it wouldnt matter, we would still need to find a guy to replace AB on the roster.

Eli2Shockey4aTD
11-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Not many RBs come into the league with the ability to block well. I am not worried about Wilson. Going from super star college athlete to third string is not normal for most 1st round RBs, he will get it together.

giantsforce
11-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Fine I accept mediocrity if it means a superbowl victory every 5 years. We re in first place in the division too BTW. but no, you are right, let's let the geniuses on the message board decide what to do.If you read my post carefully you will see that nowhere I say that "the geniuses on the message board decide what to do". Again, if Coughlin does not have the answers, then he needs to make room for someone who does. Mediocrity means, having all this talent and not been able to perform consistently. Having a record of .584 is barely breaking even, not stellar performance. Not being able to change things when needed is mediocre. And a broken clock is right twice a day, so you according to your logic, we should trust the broken clock.

DVision
11-13-2012, 03:37 PM
What's more important pass protection or ball protection? Either way we're screwed! Wilson can't pass block and Bradshaw can't hold onto the rock! More Andre Brown PLEASE!!!

Dwinsballgames
11-13-2012, 03:37 PM
If you read my post carefully you will see that nowhere I say that "the geniuses on the message board decide what to do". Again, if Coughlin does not have the answers, then he needs to make room for someone who does. Mediocrity means, having all this talent and not been able to perform consistently. Having a record of .584 is barely breaking even, not stellar performance. Not being able to change things when needed is mediocre. And a broken clock is right twice a day, so you according to your logic, we should trust the broken clock.

so you are saying we should fire our 2-time superbowl winnng coach because he can't give you a good enough answer as to why the team struggles in November? And who would you replace him with.??? This is what I mean about geniuses on the message board deciding what to do. I was talkng about you.

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
What's more important pass protection or ball protection? Either way we're screwed! Wilson can't pass block and Bradshaw can't hold onto the rock! More Andre Brown PLEASE!!!ball protection? Eli throws the ball to the opposing team in almost every game

bg79
11-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I am sorry but the coaching staff cannot make blocking the key issue with keeping David Wilson off the field and then turn around and force David Diehl into the starting lineup. It's more about Veteran status with this coaching staff and their words were that a starter can't lose his job to injury but it looks like the starter can't loser their job to lousy play either these days. Bradshaw has been mediocre at best, downright ineffective at worst. David Diehl has been noticeably horrendous since he was put back in, to be noticeable as a OL is a bad thing. Bradshaw is fumbling the ball as well, apparently the one fumble that cost any chance of Wilson getting an opportunity is the same set of rules that veteran Bradshaw does not have to live by.

It's just all hypocracy and thats what has a lot of fans up in arms about it all. If you want to take a rough approach with Wilson then fine, but at least hold the veterans accountable for their on field performance. They've been around long enough to know that should matter and there are consequences to playing poorly. The thing is we know this won't happen and we'll likely be seeing Bradshaw and Diehl starting again in 2 weeks.

tcseacliff
11-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Sometimes that's what it takes. Do we know how Wilson is interacting with the team?

that is what i was thinking. we don't see his behavior in the locker room. could be throwing hissy fits for being on bench, but gotta pay your dues and man up . maybe he did/will need to hear it this way. if not, TC better get on this situation, before it keeps making the press this way!

younggiant
11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
This team at times can be so ridicolus. I understand Wilson ain't ready and I'm fine with that, but the coaches got Diehl out there which can get Eli our franchise QB killed. Not trying to harp to much about Diehl, but it is what it is.

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
This team at times can be so ridicolus. I understand Wilson ain't ready and I'm fine with that, but the coaches got Diehl out there which can get Eli our franchise QB killed. Not trying to harp to much about Diehl, but it is what it is.they're trying turn Eli into michael vick

Flip Empty
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
This could be them trying to get Wilson to step up in the absence of Bradshaw. There's an opportunity right in front of him and they want him to take it.

younggiant
11-13-2012, 07:11 PM
they're trying turn Eli into michael vick

I just don't get it....it gets frustrating at times. I don't want to question the coaches because they get paid to coach, but it's ridicolous some of the things our organization does at times. They feel Wilson ain't ready, but they see Diehl has been horrific, but yet, they still keep him in there.

heavyhitter
11-13-2012, 07:28 PM
David Wilson is going to shine once he gets some actual playing time. He's got a bright future w/ the Giants and in the NFL

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
With bennet out (??) and diehl in, how many of those plays will there be........

Pascoe will be the next TE up

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
David Wilson is going to shine once he gets some actual playing time. He's got a bright future w/ the Giants and in the NFLit would be nice to see some of that spark this year, our team could use it

CDN_G-FAN
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
1. EVERY SINGLE BACK that was drafted under this coaching staff has had to wait until they could block to get significant playing time, and our QB has the longest stretch of starts compared to any QB in the league, funny fans feel like there's a "better way", or somehow the two facts are mutually exclusive.

2. Almost unanamously, we agree that a great line makes backs seem great, and a bad line makes great backs seem bad. What's the rush? Our line sucks right now, and wilson isn't going to fix that.

3. I've seen hundreds of ' in reese i trust' and 'this coaching staff has earned our trust after 2 SB wins'. Most of you were full of it apparently.

Rudyy
11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
1. EVERY SINGLE BACK that was drafted under this coaching staff has had to wait until they could block to get significant playing time, and our QB has the longest stretch of starts compared to any QB in the league, funny fans feel like there's a "better way", or somehow the two facts are mutually exclusive.

2. Almost unanamously, we agree that a great line makes backs seem great, and a bad line makes great backs seem bad. What's the rush? Our line sucks right now, and wilson isn't going to fix that.

3. I've seen hundreds of ' in reese i trust' and 'this coaching staff has earned our trust after 2 SB wins'. Most of you were full of it apparently.For me personally, it's the reasoning behind it.

They stopped playing him because he had fumbling issues, ok that's fair.
Now that he's got that taken care of (from what I hear), it's oh he can't block properly.
They say he'll get more snaps, but I have yet to see that as well.

Also, if they supposedly liked him more than Doug Martin who is "more NFL ready" you would think he'd start, right?

TheAnalyst
11-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I had a feeling we would regret this pick. Like Ron Dayne regret.

Rudyy
11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
I had a feeling we would regret this pick. Like Ron Dayne regret. I just want to see the kid play, not 2 years later. Sorry if that's how they always do things, but I don't like it.

G-Men Surg.
11-14-2012, 01:18 AM
What have you seen Wilson do in the NFL that would leap him ahead of Brown?
I can agree with that kind of reasoning RF but that been saidmwe haven't seen anything from Brown prior to that Carolina's game in which the Giants were to some degree " force " to start Brown in place of an injured Ahmad.

TheShouldersOf
11-14-2012, 03:23 AM
I don't buy it, maybe he is not the best pass protector yet,but how does one play football their entire life and not be able to pick up some sort of protection? maybe in college he was the 'Runner' but he had to protect at times, he at the very least has a base knowledge of it, now if it comes down to technical things, it's on the Coach, who gets paid to develop these guys,

no we are not at the practices, but how many reps do you think Wilson gets in pass protection? playing on the scout team? and in class room answering questions is not the same as playing,

trust me, I've played the Running Back position my life

Brown is an Average Back, catches balls, drops balls, gains yardage, blocks well, he will survive as an average back, if we remember a couple weeks a go there were reports they were concerned about his pass protection abilities, think back to Carolina he was the cause of Eli's only sack,

if i was a RB Coach, i would take it upon myself as pride and respect in my work to make sure Wilson develops at the fasted speed possible, maybe he has, but unless Wilson has completely changed as a person, i can't believe he is not going full speed to learn as much as possible

the Coaching hypocrisy is growing very tiresome, Wilson has fumbling issues, Bradshaw fumbles three times, Wilson can't protect, Brown gives up a Sack and has missed a couple blocks, Bradshaw misses blocks lately due to injury,

is it his lack of understanding the calls for protection, or the actually act of blocking? or do they just assume he is mismatched in size and will not be good at it?

to be honest it seems as if it's one excuse after another, one excuse after another

TheShouldersOf
11-14-2012, 03:35 AM
as a side note, you can say 'In Practice' as much as you want, but to say Wilson needs to 'Man Up' means you have to see him in that situation, they have one padded practice a week, and it's not full contact, no one has any idea how well he can sustain a block until he sees the field in action, no one has any idea how much power he can block until he does it full speed,

CDN_G-FAN
11-14-2012, 05:10 AM
For me personally, it's the reasoning behind it.

They stopped playing him because he had fumbling issues, ok that's fair.
Now that he's got that taken care of (from what I hear), it's oh he can't block properly.
They say he'll get more snaps, but I have yet to see that as well.

Also, if they supposedly liked him more than Doug Martin who is "more NFL ready" you would think he'd start, right?

the reasoning has been consistent for nearly 9 years, this isn't a special David Wilson strategy. fans have had the same discussions on here about jacobs and bradshaw back in their days too. identical

what's bothersome to me is those commnets from the coaches make it clear that they're practically begging this kid to get up to speed on his blocking assignments, and they're running out of ways of getting through to him.

it sounds like the kid is pointing to fans that are screaming for him to get more carries, and the coaches are saying he'll get them when he learns to protect the most important part of our offense better.

i said repeatedly at the beginning of this season that by midway through the year fans will simply have forgotten or ignore how this coaching staff does stuff. Fair enough if you don't like that they focus on ensuring a RB can block in a league where 40 pass attempts are becoming more common, but it makes alot of sense to me. I don't want Wilson trying to learn a basic skill at the expense of Eli.

and that stuff about doug martin, let's not confuse NFL draft day spin with reality.

CDN_G-FAN
11-14-2012, 05:18 AM
I don't buy it, maybe he is not the best pass protector yet,but how does one play football their entire life and not be able to pick up some sort of protection? maybe in college he was the 'Runner' but he had to protect at times, he at the very least has a base knowledge of it, now if it comes down to technical things, it's on the Coach, who gets paid to develop these guys,

no we are not at the practices, but how many reps do you think Wilson gets in pass protection? playing on the scout team? and in class room answering questions is not the same as playing,

trust me, I've played the Running Back position my life

Brown is an Average Back, catches balls, drops balls, gains yardage, blocks well, he will survive as an average back, if we remember a couple weeks a go there were reports they were concerned about his pass protection abilities, think back to Carolina he was the cause of Eli's only sack,

if i was a RB Coach, i would take it upon myself as pride and respect in my work to make sure Wilson develops at the fasted speed possible, maybe he has, but unless Wilson has completely changed as a person, i can't believe he is not going full speed to learn as much as possible

the Coaching hypocrisy is growing very tiresome, Wilson has fumbling issues, Bradshaw fumbles three times, Wilson can't protect, Brown gives up a Sack and has missed a couple blocks, Bradshaw misses blocks lately due to injury,

is it his lack of understanding the calls for protection, or the actually act of blocking? or do they just assume he is mismatched in size and will not be good at it?

to be honest it seems as if it's one excuse after another, one excuse after another

again, fans seem like this is a special strategy for Wilson and wilson only.

jacobs was confined to short yardage situations only where they knew we'd probably run it anyway, and fans were screaming for him to get more regular carries, and the coaching staff said he had to learn his protections first.

same thing with bradshaw.

now we're doing the same thing with Wilson, and fans think this is some grand conspiracy against Wilson.

not to mention, 2 SB wins and we're still questioning whether this coaching staff can figure out if a RB is ready for more responsibility or not? Really?

just like a fan said earlier in this thread, this issue is so discussed because there's so many HOF coaches on these boards.

RoanokeFan
11-14-2012, 07:49 AM
I can agree with that kind of reasoning RF but that been saidmwe haven't seen anything from Brown prior to that Carolina's game in which the Giants were to some degree " force " to start Brown in place of an injured Ahmad.

Exactly right. Brown, like Cruz, Stevie Brown and others, were handed an "injury opportunity" and they took full advantage of it. I am a big Wilson fan, now having both of his jerseys :mad:, and I just wonder what team some fans have been following with all of this "put Wilson in" rhetoric. We can forget the fumble now because he's not in the "dog house." If he were in the dog house, he'd not be returning kicks. Returning kicks is the closest assignment to what he did at VT that there is in the NFL. Take the ball and run that way. The RB assignment here is more than "take the ball and run that way". We can like that or not, but that's they way it has always been.

The RB coach has spoken about Wilson needing to "grow up." Is it possible he knows more than we do about what it takes for a RB to be successful in the NFL? Gilbride said, within the past few days, they had plays designed just for Wilson in the Bengals game but the game got out of hand and those plans were abandoned. Does anyone really think they don't want Wilson to play if they are designing plays that lend themselves to his strong suit?

Redeyejedi
11-14-2012, 08:13 AM
A lot of people here are so hell bent on trashing Diehl it's become all consuming. PFF grades players every game but now that they say Diehl didn't do that bad a job, PFF is wrong.They dont grade if a RB is forced to help or a TE is on his side

GameTime
11-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I had a feeling we would regret this pick. Like Ron Dayne regret.

who is "we".....

RoanokeFan
11-14-2012, 08:24 AM
They dont grade if a RB is forced to help or a TE is on his side So only the negative numbers count?

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
the reasoning has been consistent for nearly 9 years, this isn't a special David Wilson strategy. fans have had the same discussions on here about jacobs and bradshaw back in their days too. identicalwhat's bothersome to me is those commnets from the coaches make it clear that they're practically begging this kid to get up to speed on his blocking assignments, and they're running out of ways of getting through to him.it sounds like the kid is pointing to fans that are screaming for him to get more carries, and the coaches are saying he'll get them when he learns to protect the most important part of our offense better.i said repeatedly at the beginning of this season that by midway through the year fans will simply have forgotten or ignore how this coaching staff does stuff. Fair enough if you don't like that they focus on ensuring a RB can block in a league where 40 pass attempts are becoming more common, but it makes alot of sense to me. I don't want Wilson trying to learn a basic skill at the expense of Eli.and that stuff about doug martin, let's not confuse NFL draft day spin with reality.I understand all of what you said. I just don't see the need for him to learn how to block RIGHT NOW. Again, that's just my perspective and not the coaches. This is there way of doing it and I've got to respect that. I believe they did it with Ahmad Bradshaw his first year.

RoanokeFan
11-14-2012, 09:21 AM
I understand all of what you said. I just don't see the need for him to learn how to block RIGHT NOW. Again, that's just my perspective and not the coaches. This is there way of doing it and I've got to respect that. I believe they did it with Ahmad Bradshaw his first year. He is small and it's not just the blocking. Making the pre-snap reads is also part of it. Do you remember Cruz catching hell from Gilbride over the pre-snap reads? They aren't picking on Wilson.

Ruttiger711
11-14-2012, 09:44 AM
He is small and it's not just the blocking. Making the pre-snap reads is also part of it. Do you remember Cruz catching hell from Gilbride over the pre-snap reads? They aren't picking on Wilson.

The espn article that someone posted noted that:

"...blocking, blitz pickup, catching the ball, etc. These were things Wilson was not asked to do in Virginia Tech's offense"

These are 3 VERY big responsibilites... that if he really didnt have to be responsible for before, damn thats a lot to learn for a rookie. It's almost like a project pick, that says a lot about the amount of talent they must think he has.

I'd say hes almost like a JPP pick.

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 09:49 AM
He is small and it's not just the blocking. Making the pre-snap reads is also part of it. Do you remember Cruz catching hell from Gilbride over the pre-snap reads? They aren't picking on Wilson.I don't necessarily think they are "picking" on him. I just won't expect to see him doing much this season.

GameTime
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
very simple Wilson......if you want to be HOFr learn how to be a complete NFL RB...

RoanokeFan
11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't necessarily think they are "picking" on him. I just won't expect to see him doing much this season. That would change if Bradshaw is sidelined

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
That would change if Bradshaw is sidelinedI don't know about you, but Bradshaw should have been sidelined for the last 2 weeks or so.

Moke
11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Bradshaw needs a little fire in him, and he has had fire in him. I think he productivity has been off lately because of his constant injuries. They are probably nagging him.

Maybe TC and co. are scared to sideline him because of his attitudes.

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Bradshaw needs a little fire in him, and he has had fire in him. I think he productivity has been off lately because of his constant injuries. They are probably nagging him.

Maybe TC and co. are scared to sideline him because of his attitudes.Are you suggesting that TC and company are scared of Bradshaw?

Moke
11-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Are you suggesting that TC and company are scared of Bradshaw?

Sorry, I was smoking some of the good stuff the message board passes around.

No, but they are afraid of starting anyone else. Not sure why they don't go with Andre Brown often? Maybe they feel like he reached his peak the few weeks in the early season? David Wilson not ready for prime time minutes/carries?

nycsportzfan
11-14-2012, 10:39 AM
So what did you think about his performance watching the game? Do you think they where a better OL before or after he started? If PFF thinks Diehl did a OK job, then there seriously stupid.. Sorry, but they are.. He was beyond abysmal, and alot of people have trouble noticing good individual Oline play or bad even, but every non chalont fan in the country seen with there own eyes, the disgraceful performance of Dave Diehl.. I mean, just because its become a craze on these boards to talk about how bad diehls done, don't make it wrong, it makes it one epic fail on diehl's part..

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Sorry, I was smoking some of the good stuff the message board passes around.

No, but they are afraid of starting anyone else. Not sure why they don't go with Andre Brown often? Maybe they feel like he reached his peak the few weeks in the early season? David Wilson not ready for prime time minutes/carries?Who is the supplier?

Also, they need to go with Andre, and when I mean go with..I mean from start to finish. Not after Ahmad fumbles.

nycsportzfan
11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
He is small and it's not just the blocking. Making the pre-snap reads is also part of it. Do you remember Cruz catching hell from Gilbride over the pre-snap reads? They aren't picking on Wilson. Well lets also not forget, when they actually do give em a carry or throw em the ball, he either drops it or gets stopped for a loss, or has fumbled, outside of the one solid Run in garbage time..

Something tells me if he has shown alittle more in the limited snaps hes had, he'd of gained a couple more and so on and so fourth.. The bottom line is hes shown absoulutley nothing remotley close to productive and has dropped passes and fumbled to boot.. I mean, when ur trying to get playing time and u don't quite understand pre snap reads and blocking assignments, then u better be gashing defenses when u get ur limited touches, or theres really no use for u right now..

Giantz4Life
11-14-2012, 11:17 AM
I remember last year when everyone was pissed off and upset when Da'Rel Scott was not getting any playing time.

People on this board are just in love with speed because we haven't had a RB with breakaway speed in awhile. AB has quick acceleration, but lacks top speed IMO. They see a guy with David Wilson's speed and they automatically think, "OMG this guy could score a TD every play". I would love to see DW get playing time, but I am patiently waiting for the coaching staff, not the fans, to give him the green light.

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I remember last year when everyone was pissed off and upset when Da'Rel Scott was not getting any playing time.

People on this board are just in love with speed because we haven't had a RB with breakaway speed in awhile. AB has quick acceleration, but lacks top speed IMO. They see a guy with David Wilson's speed and they automatically think, "OMG this guy could score a TD every play". I would love to see DW get playing time, but I am patiently waiting for the coaching staff, not the fans, to give him the green light.You have a point, but I would rather see a running back not dance around in the pocket and constantly fumble the ball. I love Ahmad but he needs take a break. My biggest issue with him is that he's injured.

Giantz4Life
11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
You have a point, but I would rather see a running back not dance around in the pocket and constantly fumble the ball. I love Ahmad but he needs take a break. My biggest issue with him is that he's injured.

He has pretty much played injured his whole entire career. Broken feet, messed up ankles etc. We may not know the severity of his injuries this year, but this is nothing new except the neck injury.

I know it's frustrating, but we just have to accept that they know more than we do regardless of our opinions.

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 11:32 AM
He has pretty much played injured his whole entire career. Broken feet, messed up ankles etc. We may not know the severity of his injuries this year, but this is nothing new except the neck injury.

I know it's frustrating, but we just have to accept that they know more than we do regardless of our opinions.Of course they do, I'm just going by what I see.

I'll ask you this. Has Bradshaw always practiced once a week his entire career? I think him only practicing once is effecting his play as well.

Giantz4Life
11-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Of course they do, I'm just going by what I see.

I'll ask you this. Has Bradshaw always practiced once a week his entire career? I think him only practicing once is effecting his play as well.

Definitely possible that his injuries are more severe this year. Who knows? The neck is an injury that is worrisome.

If Bradshaw is out for any games then maybe Wilson will get a chance to show his stuff.

Toadofsteel
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Of course they do, I'm just going by what I see.

OMG this... Bradshaw's lack of practices throws him off his game. His blocking (really the only reason he's our starting RB at this point) suffers as a result. If Brown or Wilson could actually block, Bradshaw would be inactive a couple games to let his feet heal...

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Definitely possible that his injuries are more severe this year. Who knows? The neck is an injury that is worrisome.

If Bradshaw is out for any games then maybe Wilson will get a chance to show his stuff.That's the problem. He clearly needs to sit, but he won't.

Moke
11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Who is the supplier?

Also, they need to go with Andre, and when I mean go with..I mean from start to finish. Not after Ahmad fumbles.

Laurah was until she went brilliant all over the board!

GameTime
11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I have a feeling that Bradshae will be sitting for a week or two when they resume. TC said he is getting every medical test under the sun. They are looking for a "valid" reason to rest the guy. Just my 2 cents worth. We will see Brown start the next two games and Wilson getting 5 to 7 carries per game too. My bold prediction.

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Laurah was until she went brilliant all over the board!Dang, now that I think about, we kinda need her cheerleading antics.
We've been losing ever since she stopped..

Moke
11-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Dang, now that I think about, we kinda need her cheerleading antics.
We've been losing ever since she stopped..

She might be pampering to David Wilson. Quit being a baby David!

He Hate Mee
11-14-2012, 12:05 PM
This is unreal that our RB coach would say such a degrading thing to our #1 pick.

Its fine if this is said, in person & off the record....but to the media?? Calling the man essentially a piece of ****?

This is a disgrace and this Giants team is beginning to sound like the Jets.

Don't be surprised when we lose-out the rest of the season. This is borderline media suicide.

Rudyy
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
This is unreal that our RB coach would say such a degrading thing to our #1 pick.

Its fine if this is said, in person & off the record....but to the media?? Calling the man essentially a piece of ****?

Don't be surprised when we lose-out the rest of the season. This is borderline media suicide.I wouldn't say it's degrading. I know they want our players to excel in all aspects of the game, I get that. But for him to barely get ANY snaps doesn't make sense to me.

He Hate Mee
11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
rudyy your PM box is full

He Hate Mee
11-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't say it's degrading. I know they want our players to excel in all aspects of the game, I get that. But for him to barely get ANY snaps doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, you would figure if the guy is supposedly stuggling....oh maybe...just maybe in GARBAGE time vs the Bengals he would get a few reps to kind of...you know, work out the kinks.

Thats where the coaches argument falls apart. We have had AMPLE opportunities this season in garbage time in which Carr could have played and Wilson could have got reps. Or even with Eli in.....you can only learn with actual reps. This is amazing. Im stumped over this one.

Moke
11-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah, you would figure if the guy is supposedly stuggling....oh maybe...just maybe in GARBAGE time vs the Bengals he would get a few reps to kind of...you know, work out the kinks.

Thats where the coaches argument falls apart. We have had AMPLE opportunities this season in garbage time in which Carr could have played and Wilson could have got reps. Or even with Eli in.....you can only learn with actual reps. This is amazing. Im stumped over this one.

As Rudy's spokesman, she deleted her inbox.

GameTime
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Don't be surprised when we lose-out the rest of the season. This is borderline media suicide.
over react much????

He Hate Mee
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
over react much????

No, sir.

Blind sheep much??

TheAnalyst
11-14-2012, 12:24 PM

People on this board are just in love with speed because we haven't had a RB with breakaway speed in awhile. AB has quick acceleration, but lacks top speed IMO. They see a guy with David Wilson's speed and they automatically think, "OMG this guy could score a TD every play". I would love to see DW get playing time, but I am patiently waiting for the coaching staff, not the fans, to give him the green light.

I think people are just realizing that the pick of a RB in the 1st may not have been the smartest thing to do when it was clear Wilson wasn't ready for the NFL (just from looking at his college days) and he has a horrible oline in front of him. Plus he is not sure handed. The combination of these things will result in a "bust" pick early, even if he becomes a solid RB far down the line.