PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Offensive Line Coach Pat Flaherty On David Diehl

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:13 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_offensive_coach_pat_fla.html#incart_river

Excerpt: ""You would love to say itís this one thing or one person or one aspect, but it doesnít work out that way," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "Believe me when I tell you this, itís all of us. We all have to do better."

That was the case Sunday, as the entire offensive line had trouble keeping defensive tackle Geno Atkins and the rest of the defensive line off of Manning. Atkins didn't register a sack, but according to Pro Football Focus he hit Manning four times and added five hurries. The Bengals racked up four sacks as a team.

Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty said the game situation didn't make it easier against the Bengals' potent pass rush. Down 14-0 early, the Giants were forced to pass the ball more than they had planned and Bengals brought the pressure.

Flaherty said Diehl, who sprained his MCL in the first quarter of the Giants' Week 2 win over the Buccaneers, was given his job back because "you don't really lose your job because of an injury." Diehl returned as the team's jumbo tight end for three games before he was given back the starting spot at right tackle against the Steelers. Locklear, because of Will Beatty's emergence at left tackle, was relegated to jumbo tight end duty.

After the Steelers' win, Diehl took the blame for surrendering a sack to Lamarr Woodley on third-and-10 that resulted in a Manning fumble on what proved to be Giants' final drive.

Flaherty admitted that Diehl, a 10-year veteran, is still transitioning to right tackle after spending the last seven seasons exclusively between left tackle and left guard. Diehl hadn't focused on right tackle since his second season in 2004 when he started all 16 games there. He started 16 games at right guard his rookie year.

"I think the time he was injured set him back in terms of his techniques and fundamentals, and he needs to get continue to catch up with those," Flahety said.

"I think the mental part of it is easier, knowing what to do within the framework of the offense is easy. The technique's not. It's not," Flaherty later added about switching positions on the offensive line. "Because you got a guy who's playing left defensive end everyday and he's going to pass rush. You're the right tackle. You have to do that everyday. Now, can you get your technique, your fundamentals down within certain amount of time? Yeah, you can. But the change is challenging."

Flaherty said Locklear, a nine-year veteran signed over the offseason, handled the switch from left tackle -- where he played during training camp and started the first two games -- to right tackle "as good as any professional I've been around." But even Locklear squashed the notion that his play was as pristine as the numbers indicate.

"When I was in there I bet you there were four or five times where's Eli gotten rid of the ball before I let him get hit," Locklear said. "There was twice in Dallas where I couldn't hear and they came almost free untouched, but he got rid of the ball. That's just the difference in games. And I said it before, I think we went three or four games without giving up a sack and I said eventually it's going to catch up where he's not getting rid of the ball or guys aren't getting open but it was going to happen." Read more...

BlueSanta
11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I understand what he is saying, but the numbers are really working against him. This offense has been night and day with just the switch of these 2 players.

When Locklear was in we surrendered less sacks and we ran the ball far better. So while maybe it isnt 1 guy, maybe this 1 guy is a good place to start.

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Blah blah blah they where doing better with Locklear starting.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Blah blah blah they where doing better with Locklear starting.

Are you copying and pasting now? :p

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Are you copying and pasting now? :pLol. You noticed. I know they are the coaches and we are the fans, but they where playing better with Locklear starting. Is it possible they are holding onto the "you don't lose your job because of injury" to tightly?

YATittle1962
11-13-2012, 02:24 PM
there comes a time where it is painfully obvious when the coaches are just being "PC" and saying what they are supposed to say to a media outlet

I can all but guarantee you that if you had a digital recorder inside a private meeting .....you would hear a much different conversation upon playback

joemorrisforprez
11-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Flaherty is one of the best in the business.

But, if Diehl is having issues adjusting, then he should stay on the bench until he is up to speed. The time to get exposed is during practices, not gametime.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Lol. You noticed. I know they are the coaches and we are the fans, but they where playing better with Locklear starting. Is it possible they are holding onto the "you don't lose your job because of injury" to tightly?

I don 't know. I think you said something in another thread about maybe they want Diehl in there for run blocking purposes and that could be. I do see a chink in the Bradshaw armor with Brown starting last Sunday. We'll have to see what the "battery of tests" on Bradshaw reveal.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
there comes a time where it is painfully obvious when the coaches are just being "PC" and saying what they are supposed to say to a media outlet

I can all but guarantee you that if you had a digital recorder inside a private meeting .....you would hear a much different conversation upon playback

If I had a digital recorder inside a private meeting I'd be one important son of a ***** :cool:

YATittle1962
11-13-2012, 02:33 PM
If I had a digital recorder inside a private meeting I'd be one important son of a ***** :cool:

that you would Roa.....that you would

Rudyy
11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Ok well here's the problem.
Defenders are going to be taking advantage of Diehl.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
that you would Roa.....that you would

As much as we need the BYE I am still bummed we have no game this week

YATittle1962
11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
As much as we need the BYE I am still bummed we have no game this week

you and me both bro

I need this taste out of my mouth

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
you and me both bro

I need this taste out of my mouth

That's the only cure. I've been looking for my brown bag from years gone by :(

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 02:42 PM
there comes a time where it is painfully obvious when the coaches are just being "PC" and saying what they are supposed to say to a media outlet I can all but guarantee you that if you had a digital recorder inside a private meeting .....you would hear a much different conversation upon playbackAgain, I don't know more than the coaches but this is how I feel as well. Is just hard to not see how Eli has been under more pressure with Diehl starting instead of Locklear.

Toadofsteel
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
That's the only cure. I've been looking for my brown bag from years gone by :(

You could say...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

it was a Dave Brown bag.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!!!

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
As much as we need the BYE I am still bummed we have no game this weekOn top of that we have to wait all day to see that game. I'd rather all their games be at 1pm.

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
On top of that we have to wait all day to see that game. I'd rather all their games be at 1pm.

I think this is 3 times we agree this season. I'm feeling faint

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
You could say...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

it was a Dave Brown bag.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!!!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStJSQOV70kjbzRD2cMUujgshx9h2-C_ohruLQ6BW-tR1tws-MP

Buddy333
11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
I think this is 3 times we agree this season. I'm feeling faintA lot of season left.

OX1
11-13-2012, 03:07 PM

or Belichick.......

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 03:12 PM
or Belichick.......

BADA BING

RoanokeFan
11-13-2012, 03:13 PM
A lot of season left.

I agree (+4)

egyptian420
11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
"you don't really lose your job because of an injury." Just the way that sounds INFURIATES me. Going by this logic, Cruz should've went back to 3rd on the depth chart when Hixon returned since "you don't lose a job because of an injury" and Cruz was a replacement for Hixon.

I don't care if we noticed who we had because of an injury to a starter, he was clearly better when he was starting, and then just for extra measures, we brought Deihl back just to make sure and it's become painfully obvious for those who are hard headed. Why they're still sticking with this ridiculous assessment is beyond me. I don't know if its an ego issue or if they actually think Deihl's individual performance is actually better than Locklear.

Even if they have other reasons to start DD (can't even imagine one)...saying it this way just angers me as I'm sure it does many other fans as well.

sharick88
11-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Why the **** do the continue to feed us this bull**** and give Diehl the benefit of the doubt. Diehl got abused by an undersized DE that no one outside of Bengals nation even knows about. How about they just keep it real and bench Diehl's sorry ***?

Eli2Shockey4aTD
11-13-2012, 03:49 PM
The O-Line is a unit and if one part of that unit is attrocious it can bring down the whole line. With Locklear in the unit seemed more cohesive. With Diehl in they seem overmatched. Simple.

Cloud57
11-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Benching him would hurt his feelings, and since he's a vet they don't want his feelings to get hurt.

BlueSanta
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
or Belichick.......

Oh I like that!

610 posts since 2007, you need to up that if your gonna come up with lil gems like this 1.

GameTime
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
he doesnt deserved to get benched. He, like the rest of the O, has to step the **** up and start playing better

joemorrisforprez
11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Why the **** do the continue to feed us this bull**** and give Diehl the benefit of the doubt. Diehl got abused by an undersized DE that no one outside of Bengals nation even knows about. How about they just keep it real and bench Diehl's sorry ***?

That would be far too easy....everything with this franchise needs to be handled at the last possible moment.....so don't expect any changes until the Giants playoff hopes are hanging by a thread.

moosedrool
11-13-2012, 04:57 PM
he doesnt deserved to get benched.

You have got to be kidding me. Diehl has given up 4 sacks and 11 pressures in 3 1/2 games.

JesseJames
11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I think you do lose your job because of injury especially if the guy who replaces you plays better than you were before the injury, loyalty doesn't trump whats best for the team...

Eliscruzzz
11-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I think you do lose your job because of injury especially if the guy who replaces you plays better than you were before the injury, loyalty doesn't trump whats best for the team...this

moosedrool
11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Flaherty says the change from LT to RT is challenging. So why not play Locklear who does not have that challenge? He's played RT most of his career.

Usually the Giants second half collapses were due to numerous injuries. Blame this years collapse on Flaherty and Coughlin's stubborn behavior and stupidity.

Die-Hard
11-13-2012, 06:45 PM
To break out an old cliche...

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link

The difference with Diehl in at RT is like night and day, and it's not good. I can't stand the stubbornness of this organization sometimes. A blind man can see that changes have to be made immediately, but they wont make them, and all because of loyalty. An injury cant cost you your job? It sure would cost me mine if I couldn't do my job, and I'd also lose my job if someone else came in and did it better than me.

Its something that I despise about this current regime. Loyalty doesn't pay the bills, and it doesn't win games.

sharick88
11-13-2012, 07:22 PM
That would be far too easy....everything with this franchise needs to be handled at the last possible moment.....so don't expect any changes until the Giants playoff hopes are hanging by a thread.

Maybe they're waiting for Eli to get knocked out with a concussion before they bench Diehl. SMDH

GameTime
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Diehl has given up 4 sacks and 11 pressures in 3 1/2 games.

opps...wrong thread. Thought I clicked on the Cruz topic....

As much as I respect DD and his tenure as a Giant he shoudl be no more than a back up.....