PDA

View Full Version : fewell was never the right choice

blueblood42o
12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
i understand he was highly touted and did a good job in the interim in buffalo....but he was a 3-4 guy that came to a 4-3 team. for some people the switch is easy. no wonder this team doesnt look comfortable in his defensive schemes. hes probably not comfortable coaching them.

Kruunch
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
i understand he was highly touted and did a good job in the interim in buffalo....but he was a 3-4 guy that came to a 4-3 team. for some people the switch is easy. no wonder this team doesnt look comfortable in his defensive schemes. hes probably not comfortable coaching them.

Very few quality DCs can switch between 3-4 and 4-3 schemes well at the NFL level.

Which is why you see most of them installing "their" defense when they come to a team (ala Wade Phillips putting in a 3-4 with the Texans).

Even Bellichick who is a coaching and defensive god (imo) could never get fully away from the 3-4.

Kruunch
12-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Also if you look at the 4-3 DCs that moved last year, Rod Marinelli was the only quality DC with Fewell and Gus Bradley (Seahawks) being the only other DCs to go to a 4-3 defense.

MattMeyerBud
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM

they switched to the 3-4 after he left and they got George Edwards

Blue since 2
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Living in Buffalo, I get the skinny on all that is Bills football. The previous poster is correct, the Bills switched to a 3-4 after Fewell left. However, he was NEVER the man for the job. The defense in Buffalo was horrible under him. His teams were ranked high against the pass, but that was because they were so horrible against the run that everyone just ran on them. He started getting hype when Jauron was fired and he became the interim. Horrible job by management falling for this and hiring him. He's got to go.

Kruunch
12-20-2011, 12:54 PM

That's right .... I keep forgetting that.

Fewell was the bend-don't-break guy in Buffalo.

But as I said ... there weren't a ton of choices and we had just fired a position coach that had been promoted (Sheridan) so they were looking for an established guy.

Kingb50
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM

But as I said ... there weren't a ton of choices and we had just fired a position coach that had been promoted (Sheridan) so they were looking for an established guy.

This year he doesn't look like the right guy for the job. But last year the Defense was ranked pretty high.

Vtgmenfan89
12-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I just don't think he schemes have fit this personnel. Especially this year. One of my biggest issues with him has been that he totally blew up his schemes from last year because of injuries...and I don't feel like most coaches would do that. I think it makes more sense to count on the next guy up to execute the blitzes/coverages we had last year (he was much more aggressive last year and I liked it) rather than blowing it up and making everybody do different things, which has clearly caused a TON of confusion in the secondary.

My true biggest issue is the fact that on 3rd and longs he leaves more than half the strength of the defense on the sideline by rushing 3 more often than not...no matter what I disagree with this, and especially when he has JPP Tolly and Tuck out there. IF you're going to rush 3 which should only happen in situations where you're trying to prevent a score in garbage time, you need beef up front to at least eat blockers. I honestly think our best d-line set is having the base 4 out there in kiwi tuck canty and jpp, with our current health situation, mind you. Of course I'd prefer Osi out there as well. Four d-ends on occasion.

MattMeyerBud
12-20-2011, 01:24 PM

This year he doesn't look like the right guy for the job. But last year the Defense was ranked pretty high.

last year, Osi's performance masked alot of issues the defense had...

by his sack fumbles it cut their drives shorts and turned up our takeaway stats and sack stat which obviously cut back scoring and yardage. Giants were a middle of the road defense last year and with the injuries its clear why we dropped so much