PDA

View Full Version : LB Stephen Tulloch - Hey Reese, sign him

netplus
12-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Tulloch played on a one-year, $3,25 million contract this season. He leads the team with 97 tackles, has played almost every down, has 3 sacks and 2 picks. Hey Reese, a LB who is solid against the run and good in pass coverage for 3.25 million? And you gave Antrel 37 million? Sign Tulloch this offseason and I'll forgive you. He's only 26 and in his prime. He reminds me of a young London Fletcher.

Vtgmenfan89
12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Cue red font here:

Nah we need another D end in the first round, obviously. Plus another safety cuz it's a passing league. Maybe another corner too. LB's aren't important anymore clearly.

Vtgmenfan89
12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
But I agree, that would be a great signing and I was hoping we'd look into him last year. We have some serious work to do with our cap situation. Reese is not a GM, he's a great player scout and a pretty good in the draft in terms of getting value but not whatsoever at filling needs. See our O-line issues all year (although Petrus I think is panning out to be a fulltime starter imo) and LB issues as well.

GMENAGAIN
12-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm on board . . . . a definite upgrade

BigBlue wins
12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
lol all over it

PrideofNY
12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Yep, but they won't because they'll be over the cap, and obviously will take another defensive back in the first round. Look at how that's worked out that past several years.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd be very surprised if Detroit lets him walk but yeah he'd be a good fit.

And it would give Goff time to come back on that knee.

But cap space and our seeming lack of interest in the LB position will likely make this a non-issue.

Redeyejedi
12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I cant believe he got that contract.I was against signing him because I thought he was going to get a multi year deal worth 5-6 million. For 3.25 I would of took him in a second

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 11:55 AM
He would have been awesome this year with our injuries but with Goff coming back I think I'd rather have a speedier LB on the outside (someone to replace Kiwi so he can go back to being a DE).

Kase-1
12-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Tulloch played on a one-year, $3,25 million contract this season. He leads the team with 97 tackles, has played almost every down, has 3 sacks and 2 picks. Hey Reese, a LB who is solid against the run and good in pass coverage for 3.25 million? And you gave Antrel 37 million? Sign Tulloch this offseason and I'll forgive you. He's only 26 and in his prime. He reminds me of a young London Fletcher.Him and Goff are the same age but Tulloch has been in the NFL 3 more seasons. Im def on board to sign him, but I dont think Detroit will let him walk, he's been a straight up beast over there.

It would allow Goff time to recover and for the 1st time Im flirting with the idea of this allowing us to move Kiwi back to DE. Tulloch and Goff could battle for the MIKE and SAM spots, WOW a LB corp of Tulloch, Goff and Boley sounds good to me

edit: I just realized who the original poster is and damnit I cant believe I agreed with you.... <font color="#FF0000">I change my mind, NO TO TULLOCH!!!</font>

LOL

netplus
12-21-2011, 12:03 PM
He would have been awesome this year with our injuries but with Goff coming back I think I'd rather have a speedier LB on the outside (someone to replace Kiwi so he can go back to being a DE).

While Goff did have a decent year last year, I don't think we should have much trust in a LB coming off a torn ACL. He also missed most of his rookie season with a variety of injuries including a fractured in his back, a concussion and a hamstring.

gmen0820
12-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I wanted him bad last offseason but he has his limitations. I like how he plays almost every snap though, that is impressive.

I wanted Ruud too, as a backup plan.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM

While Goff did have a decent year last year, I don't think we should have much trust in a LB coming off a torn ACL. He also missed most of his rookie season with a variety of injuries including a fractured in his back, a concussion and a hamstring.

I agree about Goff coming off an ACL ... but if we're going to spend money at the LB position (and Tullock will most assuredly make more then 3.25mil this year) I'd rather get more speed then Tulloch brings.

Then again, we do desperately need quality in the middle of the field .... GAH!

Mr Excitement
12-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Cue red font here:

Nah we need another D end in the first round, obviously. Plus another safety cuz it's a passing league. Maybe another corner too. LB's aren't important anymore clearly.

Im laughing because we really do need another DE....lol

myles2424
12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
A FA & drafing a LB is a must, these guys suck (including goff)

Kase-1
12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
A FA &amp; drafing a LB is a must, these guys suck (including goff)The loss of Goff is one of the biggest reasons our Defense went from top 10 to bottom of the barrel in 1 season

He was our on field DC, he was one of the main reasons that we didnt have the mis-communication on the field that we have now. Other than that, losing T2 really burned us as well. Next to that we have the same team, yes we lost Cofield, but Linval Joseph is having just as good of if not a better season than Cofield did last season at the same role/position

Jon Goff is one of the biggest reasons our D fell to shambles

myles2424
12-21-2011, 02:21 PM
A FA & drafing a LB is a must, these guys suck (including goff)The loss of Goff is one of the biggest reasons our Defense went from top 10 to bottom of the barrel in 1 season

He was our on field DC, he was one of the main reasons that we didnt have the mis-communication on the field that we have now.* Other than that, losing T2 really burned us as well.* Next to that we have the same team, yes we lost Cofield, but Linval Joseph is having just as good of if not a better season than Cofield did last season at the same role/position

it didn't help our d.....because our Lbs went from barely average to worse.....goffs name doesn't deserved to mentioned in the same sentence as %90 of the starting MLbs in the league.......ive watched every snap of every game & everyone terribly overrated goff after a few great plays where he blew up a few run plays.......his production sucks, his coverage sucks,he disappears for games at a time, and he's coming off IR.....if anyone thinks for one minute that our problems will be solved with goff then they're sadly mistaken....

Kase-1
12-21-2011, 02:47 PM
A FA &amp; drafing a LB is a must, these guys suck (including goff)The loss of Goff is one of the biggest reasons our Defense went from top 10 to bottom of the barrel in 1 season

He was our on field DC, he was one of the main reasons that we didnt have the mis-communication on the field that we have now. Other than that, losing T2 really burned us as well. Next to that we have the same team, yes we lost Cofield, but Linval Joseph is having just as good of if not a better season than Cofield did last season at the same role/position

it didn't help our d.....because our Lbs went from barely average to worse.....goffs name doesn't deserved to mentioned in the same sentence as %90 of the starting MLbs in the league.......ive watched every snap of every game &amp; everyone terribly overrated goff after a few great plays where he blew up a few run plays.......his production sucks, his coverage sucks,he disappears for games at a time, and he's coming off IR.....if anyone thinks for one minute that our problems will be solved with goff then they're sadly mistaken....Other than him coming off IR I disagree with everything else you said

I also saw every snap of every game, lets not get into a pissing contest, LOL. He was one of the most crucial pieces of our run D, he was our on field DC and his coverage was getting much much better by the end of last season. Here's an article about Goff coming into his own as the Giants MLB (before injury that is)

Giants LB Jonathan Goff passing the test as man in the middle (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/giants_lb_jonathan_goff_passin.html)

plaxattack17
12-22-2011, 02:36 AM
no point asking Reese to spend money wisely and upgrade a position of desperate need- we all know Reese can't do either of those things.

myles2424
12-22-2011, 04:04 AM
A FA & drafing a LB is a must, these guys suck (including goff)The loss of Goff is one of the biggest reasons our Defense went from top 10 to bottom of the barrel in 1 season

He was our on field DC, he was one of the main reasons that we didnt have the mis-communication on the field that we have now.* Other than that, losing T2 really burned us as well.* Next to that we have the same team, yes we lost Cofield, but Linval Joseph is having just as good of if not a better season than Cofield did last season at the same role/position

it didn't help our d.....because our Lbs went from barely average to worse.....goffs name doesn't deserved to mentioned in the same sentence as %90 of the starting MLbs in the league.......ive watched every snap of every game & everyone terribly overrated goff after a few great plays where he blew up a few run plays.......his production sucks, his coverage sucks,he disappears for games at a time, and he's coming off IR.....if anyone thinks for one minute that our problems will be solved with goff then they're sadly mistaken....Other than him coming off IR I disagree with everything else you said

I also saw every snap of every game, lets not get into a pissing contest, LOL.* He was one of the most crucial pieces of our run D, he was our on field DC and his coverage was getting much much better by the end of last season.* Here's an article about Goff coming into his own as the Giants MLB (before injury that is)

Giants LB Jonathan Goff passing the test as man in the middle (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/giants_lb_jonathan_goff_passin.html)
you disagree that his production was never impressive? You disagree that he below average in coverage? You disagree that he'd disappear for games at a time?, I remember plenty games that he'd go without even tackle,or maybe 1 or 2.....you disagree that he can't compete with most teams MLbs?
Considering some teams are 3-4 & some 4-3, Here's a little List of at least one ILB/MLB from each team....
1.Jets-David Harris
2.ravens-ray Lewis
3.lions-Stephen tulloch
4.cowboys-see lee
5.rams-James laurenitus
6.packers-aj hawk
7.dolphins-karlos dansby
8.49ers-Patrick Willis
9.texans-demeco ryans
10.falcons-Curtis lofton
11.panthers-Jon beason
12.Vikings-EJ Henderson
13.patriots-jerod mayo
14.Bucs-mason foster
15.steelers-Lawrence Timmons
16.chiefs-Derrick Johnson
17.Jaguars-Paul poluzny
18.Chargers-Donald butler/takeo spikes
19.Seahawks-David hawthorn
20.raiders-rolando McClain
21.Bengals-Rey mauluga
22.browns-Dqwell Jackson
23.eagles-Casey Mathews/jamar Chaney
24.redskins-London fletcher
25.saints-Jonathon vilma
26.broncos-Dj Williams
27.Colts-pat angerer
28.Bills-Kirk Morison/nick Barnett
29.Titans-barrett ruud/colin McCarthy
30.Cardinals-Daryl washinton
31.bears- brprian urlacher

I'm not hating on goff, but let's not kid ourselves.....other than a few rookies, there's not many starting MLB/ILBs that %99 of people on here wouldn't take over goff....

Kase-1
12-22-2011, 10:37 AM

it didn't help our d.....because our Lbs went from barely average to worse.....goffs name doesn't deserved to mentioned in the same sentence as %90 of the starting MLbs in the league.......ive watched every snap of every game &amp; everyone terribly overrated goff after a few great plays where he blew up a few run plays.......his production sucks, his coverage sucks,he disappears for games at a time, and he's coming off IR.....if anyone thinks for one minute that our problems will be solved with goff then they're sadly mistaken....Other than him coming off IR I disagree with everything else you said

I also saw every snap of every game, lets not get into a pissing contest, LOL. He was one of the most crucial pieces of our run D, he was our on field DC and his coverage was getting much much better by the end of last season. Here's an article about Goff coming into his own as the Giants MLB (before injury that is)

you disagree that his production was never impressive? You disagree that he below average in coverage? You disagree that he'd disappear for games at a time?, I remember plenty games that he'd go without even tackle,or maybe 1 or 2.....you disagree that he can't compete with most teams MLbs?
Considering some teams are 3-4 &amp; some 4-3, Here's a little List of at least one ILB/MLB from each team....
1.Jets-David Harris
2.ravens-ray Lewis
3.lions-Stephen tulloch
4.cowboys-see lee
5.rams-James laurenitus
6.packers-aj hawk
7.dolphins-karlos dansby
8.49ers-Patrick Willis
9.texans-demeco ryans
10.falcons-Curtis lofton
11.panthers-Jon beason
12.Vikings-EJ Henderson
13.patriots-jerod mayo
14.Bucs-mason foster
15.steelers-Lawrence Timmons
16.chiefs-Derrick Johnson
17.Jaguars-Paul poluzny
18.Chargers-Donald butler/takeo spikes
19.Seahawks-David hawthorn
20.raiders-rolando McClain
21.Bengals-Rey mauluga
22.browns-Dqwell Jackson
23.eagles-Casey Mathews/jamar Chaney
24.redskins-London fletcher
25.saints-Jonathon vilma
26.broncos-Dj Williams
27.Colts-pat angerer
28.Bills-Kirk Morison/nick Barnett
29.Titans-barrett ruud/colin McCarthy
30.Cardinals-Daryl washinton
31.bears- brprian urlacher

I'm not hating on goff, but let's not kid ourselves.....other than a few rookies, there's not many starting MLB/ILBs that %99 of people on here wouldn't take over goff....Honestly I dont remember ANY games where Goff was on the field and didnt register a tackle, oh thats right because when he was starting he never had a game with 0 tackles

I and many others (including professional reporters) believe that Goff's coverage was coming around and in the end of last season he was making a few nice plays in the passing game

Lets see, these are the 4-3 MLB's Id rather have over Goff
-DeMeco Ryans (when they ran a 4-3)
-Ray Lewis
-Steve Tulloch
-James Lauranitis
-Jon Beason
-Rolando McClain
-Jon Vilma
-Brian Urlacher

Other than those guys, Id say that id rather have Goff than the rest of the 4-3 MLBs. Even with Urlacher, Id only want him for a seson or 2, its not like he's the long term answer.

tonyt830
12-22-2011, 10:57 AM

you disagree that his production was never impressive? You disagree that he below average in coverage? You disagree that he'd disappear for games at a time?, I remember plenty games that he'd go without even tackle,or maybe 1 or 2.....you disagree that he can't compete with most teams MLbs? Considering some teams are 3-4 &amp; some 4-3, Here's a little List of at least one ILB/MLB from each team.... 1.Jets-David Harris 2.ravens-ray Lewis 3.lions-Stephen tulloch 4.cowboys-see lee 5.rams-James laurenitus 6.packers-aj hawk 7.dolphins-karlos dansby 8.49ers-Patrick Willis 9.texans-demeco ryans 10.falcons-Curtis lofton 11.panthers-Jon beason 12.Vikings-EJ Henderson 13.patriots-jerod mayo 14.Bucs-mason foster 15.steelers-Lawrence Timmons 16.chiefs-Derrick Johnson 17.Jaguars-Paul poluzny 18.Chargers-Donald butler/takeo spikes 19.Seahawks-David hawthorn 20.raiders-rolando McClain 21.Bengals-Rey mauluga 22.browns-Dqwell Jackson 23.eagles-Casey Mathews/jamar Chaney 24.redskins-London fletcher 25.saints-Jonathon vilma 26.broncos-Dj Williams 27.Colts-pat angerer 28.Bills-Kirk Morison/nick Barnett 29.Titans-barrett ruud/colin McCarthy 30.Cardinals-Daryl washinton 31.bears- brprian urlacher I'm not hating on goff, but let's not kid ourselves.....other than a few rookies, there's not many starting MLB/ILBs that %99 of people on here wouldn't take over goff....Lets face it, Ray Lewis and Urlacher are in a class of their own. You could throw Willis into that argument as well. They are the type of backers that you will see few and far between. Now I'm not saying Goff is in the top 10 inside backers, but he is solid vs the run and his coverage was improving some. Its unfortunate he got hurt this year. I think he would have made a difference on our putrid D this year, not that he would have solved everything.</P>

</P>

But there is no way that I think Mason Foster, AJ Hawk, Donald Butler, Casey Matthews/Chaney, Ruud/McCarthy, Kirk Morrison, or McClain have shown anything this year, that would make me want them over a healthy Goff.</P>

</P>

In regards to the OP, I would not mind the Giants signing Tulloch to a reasonable contract(if the Lions let him go). I saw him play down here in Tennessee. He is by no means an Urlacher or Ray Lewis, but he is solid and would be a nice upgrade at mike. That may of course allow the Giants to slide Goff over to the Sam. I hope to see Goff bounce back from the ACL surgery. </P>

RobCarpenter
12-22-2011, 11:11 AM

</P>

Losing Goff hurt some since we didn't have a viable replacement, but I think losing TT was a much bigger hit. TT was the best tackler in our Secondary and was decent in coverage. </P>

tonyt830
12-22-2011, 11:15 AM

</P>

Losing Goff hurt some since we didn't have a viable replacement, but I think losing TT was a much bigger hit. TT was the best tackler in our Secondary and was decent in coverage. </P>Fair enough! Our secondary has been snake bitten since preseason. But the Thomas injury hurts just as much, as the loss of Goff. Add those 2 healthy players on our D for this season, and maybe the Giants would have clinched the East already.

JMFP2
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Money is a little tight after that Baas signing.

Reese just called me (collect, of course). He's at the Early Bird special right now.

I talked to him about Tulloch, and he asked me to ask you guys if he'd play for Vet Minimum.

MikeIsaGiant
12-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Get Tulloch, I'd take him in a heart beat