PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Staff

Pakman
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Lets say the coaching staff is fired.

Who do you guys think should be hired as a head coach?

I hate Bill Cowher by the way

I did hear people talking about the Saints or the Packers OC. But are there any defensive minded coaches out there that would be a good hire?

I honestly would like to keep TC and just sign two new young and energetic OC's but that's just my opinion.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 11:15 AM

I did hear people talking about the Saints or the Packers OC. But are there any defensive minded coaches out there that would be a good hire?

I honestly would like to keep TC and just sign two new young and energetic OC's but that's just my opinion.

Ohhhh we haven't talked about this in the last 15 seconds.

Ok in order of preference:

Joe Philbin (OC Packers)
Pete Carmichael (OC Saints)

(there isn't a DC currently I like for a HC)

If we're going with retreads, Cowher above anyone else by a few thousand miles.

gfanblue
12-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I believe killdrive was considered a couple yrs ago for oakland. So somebody thinks he can coach. As far as replacements for him Todd Hailey was fired in k.c. He was not a bad coach I thought. And a good oc in arizona

Morehead State
12-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Lets say the coaching staff is fired. Who do you guys think should be hired as a head coach? I hate Bill Cowher by the way I did hear people talking about the Saints or the Packers OC. But are there any defensive minded coaches out there that would be a good hire? I honestly would like to keep TC and just sign two new young and energetic OC's but that's just my opinion. Ohhhh we haven't talked about this in the last 15 seconds. Ok in order of preference: Joe Philbin (OC Packers) Pete Carmichael (OC Saints) (there isn't a DC currently I like for a HC) If we're going with retreads, Cowher above anyone else by a few thousand miles.</P>

Mike Zimmer.</P>

davmac2BB
12-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Here is a combo that I think we be very good for the Giants if they make changes:

Jon Gruden as the HC - I trust Jon to be his own OC and having either Ron Meeks, Spags (should he be fired at the end of the season), or Raheem Morris as the DC (I think that Raheem was too inexperienced to be a HC, but is still a good coordinator). I don't want Cowher, because I think he would want too much power, and he would want a 3-4 defense and it would detrimental to waste a year or two trying to get the proper personnel here to play a 3-4.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Lets say the coaching staff is fired. Who do you guys think should be hired as a head coach? I hate Bill Cowher by the way I did hear people talking about the Saints or the Packers OC. But are there any defensive minded coaches out there that would be a good hire? I honestly would like to keep TC and just sign two new young and energetic OC's but that's just my opinion. Ohhhh we haven't talked about this in the last 15 seconds. Ok in order of preference: Joe Philbin (OC Packers) Pete Carmichael (OC Saints) (there isn't a DC currently I like for a HC) If we're going with retreads, Cowher above anyone else by a few thousand miles.</P>

Mike Zimmer.</P>

I thought of Zim but I honestly think he's going to end up being a lifetime DC (and he's really good at it). From the interviews I've seen him in I just don't get the sense that he's HC material (totally subjective obviously).

But if we wanted a defensive minded HC, then yeah he would get my top vote.

SweetZombieJesus
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I get blasted every time I bring it up, but Pepper Johnson has been learning under the wing of Bill Belichick for the past decade (and four Super Bowls), not to mention playing for him several more years and two more Super Bowls on top of that. I think he knows a thing or two about defense. Five rings as a player and coach.

How about Cowher with Pepper as DC?

Firenugget
12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
I personally think we will be hard pressed to find a much better HC. BUT...Sometimes you just need a new voice. Guys get used to hearing the same old stuff and it loses it's impact imo. Who that could/should be? I have no idea.

SweetZombieJesus
12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I personally think we will be hard pressed to find a much better HC. BUT...Sometimes you just need a new voice. Guys get used to hearing the same old stuff and it loses it's impact imo. Who that could/should be? I have no idea.

I agree, but I often draw the analogy to Joe Torre and Pat Riley... Fatal flaws that they just don't know how to fix... You don't want to let go, hoping the magic will come back, but they just keep falling on the same sword year after year. You have to make a change and get off the merry-go-round.

hadenough
12-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Vic ***ino....not sure how to spell his last name. Dcord from the niners. Guy has been with some good defenses throughout his career. I'd like him.

Other than him...I'll take Cowher

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Vic ***ino....not sure how to spell his last name.* Dcord from the niners.* Guy has been with some good defenses throughout his career.* I'd like him.

Vic is a good basics kind of guy (which is why he's perfect with Harbaugh) but he doesn't have HC material in him.

Listen to an interview ... guy sounds like a putz.

galaxy10
12-21-2011, 11:53 AM
If they do make changes, I think the Giants would hire Cowher, they have a relationship with Cowher. Giants like to hire known entities. Personally, I just hope they make the changes at the coordinator positions. I think Coughlin is a good head coach, but he is too loyal to his guys. I wonder if Coughlin might retire soon, he will be 65 years old. Just wondering out loud.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 11:56 AM
If they do make changes, I think the Giants would hire Cowher, they have a relationship with Cowher. Giants like to hire known entities. Personally, I just hope they make the changes at the coordinator positions.* I think Coughlin is a good head coach, but he is too loyal to his guys.* I wonder if Coughlin might retire soon, he will be 65 years old.* Just wondering out loud.

I'd be ok with keeping TC and KG if we got a quality DC to go with them.

Vtgmenfan89
12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Well I will say one thing, if Norv Turner got fired from SD, what do you guys think of him as OC here? Provided our staff is bye bye and we get a new HC that gets rid of Gilbride which I would love. I've always thought of Turner as a good OC just not a great HC. He also knows how to have a balanced attack with a good running game (future hall of famer by the name of Tomlinson)

On the defensive side of the ball however I don't really know who will be available. I really would not personally mind Spags as the HC here because I think combined with the scenario I mentioned above, Norv and Eli would handle the Offense very well while Spags handled the defensive side of the ball with which he would almost definitely fix all the issues we've had this year. Plus we'd have two coaches with HC experience which doesn't hurt (see Houston Texans this year)

What do you guys think? Possibly a pipe dream, but I think it'd be very possible

GMENAGAIN
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Mike Zimmer.</P>

</P>

+100</P>

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Well I will say one thing, if Norv Turner got fired from SD, what do you guys think of him as OC here? Provided our staff is bye bye and we get a new HC that gets rid of Gilbride which I would love. I've always thought of Turner as a good OC just not a great HC. He also knows how to have a balanced attack with a good running game (future hall of famer by the name of Tomlinson)

On the defensive side of the ball however I don't really know who will be available. I really would not personally mind Spags as the HC here because I think combined with the scenario I mentioned above, Norv and Eli would handle the Offense very well while Spags handled the defensive side of the ball with which he would almost definitely fix all the issues we've had this year. Plus we'd have two coaches with HC experience which doesn't hurt (see Houston Texans this year)

What do you guys think? Possibly a pipe dream, but I think it'd be very possible

Norv is one of the few OCs that I think would be a possible replacement for KG.

hadenough
12-21-2011, 12:10 PM

Vic ***ino....not sure how to spell his last name. Dcord from the niners. Guy has been with some good defenses throughout his career. I'd like him.

Vic is a good basics kind of guy (which is why he's perfect with Harbaugh) but he doesn't have HC material in him.

Andy Reid sounds like a putz in interviews but players love him and I'll take him over our coaching staff.

Vtgmenfan89
12-21-2011, 12:14 PM

Yeah for sure. Personally I'm more concerned about who's going to fix the defense. With Eli under center no matter who our coordinator is I have faith that he will be able to get it done. Really can't get much worse than Gilbride's playcalling either. Of course I still care who it'd be but I'm much more concerned about the defense.

ny06
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Well I will say one thing, if Norv Turner got fired from SD, what do you guys think of him as OC here? Provided our staff is bye bye and we get a new HC that gets rid of Gilbride which I would love. I've always thought of Turner as a good OC just not a great HC. He also knows how to have a balanced attack with a good running game (future hall of famer by the name of Tomlinson) On the defensive side of the ball however I don't really know who will be available. I really would not personally mind Spags as the HC here because I think combined with the scenario I mentioned above, Norv and Eli would handle the Offense very well while Spags handled the defensive side of the ball with which he would almost definitely fix all the issues we've had this year. Plus we'd have two coaches with HC experience which doesn't hurt (see Houston Texans this year) What do you guys think? Possibly a pipe dream, but I think it'd be very possible</P>

Norv Turner was also the man calling the offense for the great Dallas teams in the 90's</P>

The question would beis hean upgrade to Gilbride? </P>

Gilbride has his moments where you want to rip your hair out, but he is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. </P>

The defensive side is an issue, we have had two D-coordinators since we lost Spags in 09. It all depends on who will be available after the season. (coaches fired)</P>

We all want Spags back, but we have to ask ourselves, will the Rams fire him? It's evident the Rams have very little talent on there roster. So Spags and staff are working with little to nothing. </P>

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Vic ***ino....not sure how to spell his last name.* Dcord from the niners.* Guy has been with some good defenses throughout his career.* I'd like him.

Andy Reid sounds like a putz in interviews but players love him and I'll take him over our coaching staff.

You'd trade Andy Reid for TC and company?

You're insane.

Vtgmenfan89
12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Well I will say one thing, if Norv Turner got fired from SD, what do you guys think of him as OC here? Provided our staff is bye bye and we get a new HC that gets rid of Gilbride which I would love. I've always thought of Turner as a good OC just not a great HC. He also knows how to have a balanced attack with a good running game (future hall of famer by the name of Tomlinson) On the defensive side of the ball however I don't really know who will be available. I really would not personally mind Spags as the HC here because I think combined with the scenario I mentioned above, Norv and Eli would handle the Offense very well while Spags handled the defensive side of the ball with which he would almost definitely fix all the issues we've had this year. Plus we'd have two coaches with HC experience which doesn't hurt (see Houston Texans this year) What do you guys think? Possibly a pipe dream, but I think it'd be very possible</P>

Norv Turner was also the man calling the offense for the great Dallas teams in the 90's</P>

The question would be*is he*an upgrade to Gilbride? </P>

Gilbride has his moments where you want to rip your hair out, but he is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. </P>

The defensive side is an issue, we have had two D-coordinators since we lost Spags in 09. It all depends on who will be available after the season. (coaches fired)</P>

We all want Spags back, but we have to ask ourselves, will the Rams fire him? It's evident the Rams have very little talent on there roster. So Spags and staff are working with little to nothing. </P>

Someone posted on here the other day that there had been reports that the Rams plan on blowing things up....haven't looked into it myself so I don't know how much credibility there is to it. If that's the case though, I don't think he'd come back here to be the DC he'd want to be offered the HC job. That only happens if TC gets fired of course, which he should be if we lose out. 1-7 in the 2nd half of the season is absolutely unacceptable and with his track record besides the super bowl year, I see no reason to give him another shot. I really really hate saying or thinking about it but I really have a terible feeling Spags is headed to Philly where he started. That defense will be really really good with him. I hate thinking about it

hadenough
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM

You're insane.

The eagles are always charging towards the playoffs....the giants can't even get past week 16 normally. I'll take the charger.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Yeah for sure. Personally I'm more concerned about who's going to fix the defense. With Eli under center no matter who our coordinator is I have faith that he will be able to get it done. Really can't get much worse than Gilbride's playcalling either. Of course I still care who it'd be but I'm much more concerned about the defense.

While I agree that some of KGs calls make me scratch my head you can't really argue his record. The offense under him has been one of the best Giants offenses of all time.

I think Norv Turner could do at least as good a job but I don't consider KG to be a problem with the Giants.

And honestly I would keep TC if we had a good DC come over to us.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM

You're insane.

The eagles are always charging towards the playoffs....the giants can't even get past week 16 normally.* I'll take the charger.

They haven't won a superbowl and how are they doing this year?

I'll trade an extra playoff appearance or two for a superbowl win any day.

But that's just me.

P.S. - Andy Reid does not sound like a putz in an interview ... he just looks like one.

ny06
12-21-2011, 12:33 PM

The question would beis hean upgrade to Gilbride? </P>

Someone posted on here the other day that there had been reports that the Rams plan on blowing things up....haven't looked into it myself so I don't know how much credibility there is to it. If that's the case though, I don't think he'd come back here to be the DC he'd want to be offered the HC job. That only happens if TC gets fired of course, which he should be if we lose out. 1-7 in the 2nd half of the season is absolutely unacceptable and with his track record besides the super bowl year, I see no reason to give him another shot. I really really hate saying or thinking about it but I really have a terible feeling Spags is headed to Philly where he started. That defense will be really really good with him. I hate thinking about it</P>

Many fans are so sure he will go back to Philly. </P>

I tend to disagree, Juan Castillo's wide 9 was an utter joke in the beginning of the season, but now that he has mixed it up a little bit they seem to be playing much better. I don't see the Eagles firing Castillo after just one season. </P>

Vtgmenfan89
12-21-2011, 12:37 PM

While I agree that some of KGs calls make me scratch my head you can't really argue his record. The offense under him has been one of the best Giants offenses of all time.

I think Norv Turner could do at least as good a job but I don't consider KG to be a problem with the Giants.

I agree with you about KG, I don't necessarily see him as the issue, more the inconsistency with the O-line has been the issue. I am not a huge fan of his but you are right he has had us a top 10 even 5 offense for a lot of his time here. I find his biggest flaw is his lack of adjustments not just in games but throughout the season. Whether a team is being successful or not, you cannot keep running the same schemes and plays, people figure you out. I think this is just as big a reason for our collapses as anything else. We continue to see the same poorly called WR screens, shotgun draws (I like the play not the situations it's called in) and so on get blown up because teams simply figure us out. I of course am not in the meetings and could be wrong, but they really don't seem to change much even year to year. Almost all of the games in the 2nd half we have not scored an offensive TD in the first half. That is not going to win many games, and is as big a reason as any to why we haven't been. Too much pressure on a D that also has been pretty bad (being on the field more than half the game doesn't help either.) That falls on KG more than anyone, imo everything starts with the coaches. I just think this team needs a new voice and a new direction while we have the talent on this team we have. Just my personal opinion. KG is better than a lot of OC's no question, I just think it might be time for something new.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 12:38 PM

The question would be*is he*an upgrade to Gilbride? </P>

Someone posted on here the other day that there had been reports that the Rams plan on blowing things up....haven't looked into it myself so I don't know how much credibility there is to it. If that's the case though, I don't think he'd come back here to be the DC he'd want to be offered the HC job. That only happens if TC gets fired of course, which he should be if we lose out. 1-7 in the 2nd half of the season is absolutely unacceptable and with his track record besides the super bowl year, I see no reason to give him another shot. I really really hate saying or thinking about it but I really have a terible feeling Spags is headed to Philly where he started. That defense will be really really good with him. I hate thinking about it</P>

Many fans are so sure he will go back to Philly. </P>

I tend to disagree, Juan Castillo's wide 9 was an utter joke in the beginning of the season, but now that he has mixed it up a little bit they seem to be playing much better. I don't see the Eagles firing Castillo after just one season. </P>

If they finish up strong I could see Juan keeping his job but I just don't know how you live with an offensive line coach as your DC.

KATKAVAGE75
12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I get blasted every time I bring it up, but Pepper Johnson has been learning under the wing of Bill Belichick for the past decade (and four Super Bowls), not to mention playing for him several more years and two more Super Bowls on top of that. I think he knows a thing or two about defense. Five rings as a player and coach.

</P>

I also would like to see Pepper J on our staff in any capacity. He would bring knowledge, instruction, game planning &amp; the "I hate to lose" attitude to the Giants. He is proven a proven quantity as a coach.</P>

KATKAVAGE75
12-21-2011, 12:49 PM

</P>

I also would like to see Pepper J on our staff in any capacity. He would bring knowledge, instruction, game planning &amp; the "I hate to lose" attitude to the Giants. He is proven a proven quantity as a coach.</P>

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

I agree with you about KG, I don't necessarily see him as the issue, more the inconsistency with the O-line has been the issue. I am not a huge fan of his but you are right he has had us a top 10 even 5 offense for a lot of his time here. I find his biggest flaw is his lack of adjustments not just in games but throughout the season. Whether a team is being successful or not, you cannot keep running the same schemes and plays, people figure you out. I think this is just as big a reason for our collapses as anything else. We continue to see the same poorly called WR screens, shotgun draws (I like the play not the situations it's called in) and so on get blown up because teams simply figure us out. I of course am not in the meetings and could be wrong, but they really don't seem to change much even year to year. Almost all of the games in the 2nd half we have not scored an offensive TD in the first half. That is not going to win many games, and is as big a reason as any to why we haven't been. Too much pressure on a D that also has been pretty bad (being on the field more than half the game doesn't help either.) That falls on KG more than anyone, imo everything starts with the coaches. I just think this team needs a new voice and a new direction while we have the talent on this team we have. Just my personal opinion. KG is better than a lot of OC's no question, I just think it might be time for something new.

I thought of that but statistically speaking, our offensive production doesn't drop off in the second half of the season.

And to be honest, if you follow any other team fairly closely, you'll notice they run the same base plays all year as well.

Defense has almost always been our Achilles Heel when talking about the second half of the season and playoff collapses (2006 aside).

nygfan0816
12-21-2011, 01:09 PM
id be fine with TC back as long as he has a new staff.

spags will be back as DC, i fully believe this. wit phillys d playin good lately i see them sticking wit castillo which leaves spags open to us.

for OC idk, would josh mcdaniels be an upgrade?

YATittle1962
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM

spags will be back as DC, i fully believe this. wit phillys d playin good lately i see them sticking wit castillo which leaves spags open to us.

funny thing is no one but some fans see anything wrong with anything Gilbride does

so as long as Tom is here...KG will be here

hard to hate on an offense ranked in the upper echelon of the league each year

as for Fewell...not so sure

nygfan0816
12-21-2011, 01:19 PM

funny thing is no one but some fans see anything wrong with anything Gilbride does

yea i think its just wishful thinking that KG is out. i mean hes a good OC......sometimes. he makes great calls sometimes and others suck. like the dallas game after nicks had that big catch setting up 1st & goal, he runs 2 straight fade routes insted of running BJ either down then 3rd & goal where they should throw he runs a draw. hes too inconsistent for me.

fewell is out or somethings wrong

Pakman
12-21-2011, 03:08 PM

I agree. Now that I think about it, if we just get great DC we should be good.

That's a BIG IF