PDA

View Full Version : Baas is back

Gianthunter
12-21-2011, 02:52 PM
<P class=entry_author>BY Ralph Vacchiano</P>
<DIV class="content clear-block">

Center David Baas is back at practice with the Giants after missing the last three games with a neck injury that led to intense headaches. Whether he’s back in the starting lineup, though, remains to be seen.

Baas has recovered enough that he joined the Giants at their light practice on Tuesday and is practicing on Wednesday afternoon. But when Tom Coughlin was asked if he would get his old starting job back, he said “We’ll see. We’ll see how that works out.”

The problem is that in Baas’ absence, the offensive line has looked better than it has all year. The combination of Kevin Boothe at center, Mitch Petrus at left guard, and David Diehl at left tackle (in for the injured Will Beatty) has worked in both the running game and pass protection.

However, some of Boothe’s snaps have been shaky, though they haven’t caused any disasters yet. If nothing else, it makes for a a very interesting decision that Coughlin and the coaching staff will face this week.

Meanwhile, there was some better news at tight end, too, where all three players on the active roster are on the injury report. Coughlin said that TE Bear Pascoe (ribs) and TE Travis Beckum (chest) will practice on Wednesday. TE Jake Ballard (knee) is the only one who will not.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2011/12/baas-back-but-maybe-not-in-starting-lineup</P></DIV>

JMFP2
12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Can't see Baas getting his job back with the season on the line and the rushing game finally starting to pick up.

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Can't see Baas getting his job back with the season on the line and the rushing game finally starting to pick up.

Srsly

Gianthunter
12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm more happy to read that Pascoe is back at practise.

Kase-1
12-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Here's a question for everyone, if Booth continues his excellent play and gets his snaps under control in these next 2 games who's the favorite for the starting center next season??

We paid all this money for Baas but Boothe is out performing him. Id hate to give that kind of loot to a backup OG/C

TuckYou
12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Can't see Baas getting his job back with the season on the line and the rushing game finally starting to pick up.</P>

I bet he does, especially with that fat paycheck he carries. Happened last year when our line went through injuries. The backups played great then Diehl and company got back in there and we were worse again. </P>

Kruunch
12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Can't see Baas getting his job back with the season on the line and the rushing game finally starting to pick up.</P>

I bet he does, especially with that fat paycheck he carries. Happened last year when our line went through injuries. The backups played great then Diehl and company got back in there and we were worse again. </P>

A little refresher course: it wasn't our offensive line that cost us the season last year.

barran21
12-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Sheeesh i don't want to see him...

repeatchamps
Here's a question for everyone, if Booth continues his excellent play and gets his snaps under control in these next 2 games who's the favorite for the starting center next season??

We paid all this money for Baas but Boothe is out performing him. Id hate to give that kind of loot to a backup OG/C
</P>

I'd consider seeing Baas at Guard and Boothe at Center. It will all be very dependent onwhat coaching staff is inplace next season. If they can cut ties with Baas and not take a major cap hit next season, I'd have to consider that option as well. As far as Boothe, if he is annointed Center then whoever the coach is has to get him to practice snaps millions of times in the offseason as well as bury his head into the playbook and learn all protection calls centers tend to be responsible for.</P>

The biggest concern for this O-line in the offseasonwill not be Boothe/Petrus/Baas but rather what to do to replace K-Mac and quite possibly Diehl.</P>

Gianthunter

Remains to be seen. IMO if he had the stamina to play a full season at center. He would be one. Again IMO

Gianthunter

Remains to be seen. IMO if he had the stamina to play a full season at center. He would be one. Again IMO

Kase-1
12-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Remains to be seen. IMO if he had the stamina to play a full season at center. He would be one. Again IMOI feel like his pass protection was excellent, but his run blocking was not worth it. Boothe has been good in both areas but his snaps are the thing in question. Boothe has been a blessing to us in the run game, we're FINALLY getting some push up the middle

Mod_C
12-21-2011, 03:17 PM

I think they have to leave Boothe and Petrus where they are for the next two games.

GMENAGAIN
I'm more happy to read that Pascoe is back at practise.</P>

Yeah, what would we do without our blocking TE who can't block????</P>

Kase-1

</p>

I'd consider seeing Baas at Guard and Boothe at Center. It will all be very dependent onwhat coaching staff is inplace next season. If they can cut ties with Baas and not take a major cap hit next season, I'd have to consider that option as well. As far as Boothe, if he is annointed Center then whoever the coach is has to get him to practice snaps millions of times in the offseason as well as bury his head into the playbook and learn all protection calls centers tend to be responsible for.</p>

The biggest concern for this O-line in the offseasonwill not be Boothe/Petrus/Baas but rather what to do to replace K-Mac and quite possibly Diehl.</p>I think Baas played some OG out in SF, not 100% but I feel like I heard that before, LOL

We have a few OL guys who I wouldnt mind cutting ties with as long as the cap hits arent tremendous. The guys that come to mind are K-Mack, Diehl, and Baas. When Beatty is back Diehl sure as hell aint holding down the LT spot, he wasnt the LG that I thought he was gonna be and used to be earlier in his career, IMO the only way he'll start is if he can hold down the RT spot, cause K-Mack is DONE

Gianthunter
12-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Remains to be seen. IMO if he had the stamina to play a full season at center. He would be one. Again IMOI feel like his pass protection was excellent, but his run blocking was not worth it. Boothe has been good in both areas but his snaps are the thing in question. Boothe has been a blessing to us in the run game, we're FINALLY getting some push up the middle
Well it is refreshing to have this kind of a discussion about a backup. Instead of WTF ohhhh nooooo and OMG.[:D]

repeatchamps
12-21-2011, 03:21 PM

</P>

I'd consider seeing Baas at Guard and Boothe at Center. It will all be very dependent onwhat coaching staff is inplace next season. If they can cut ties with Baas and not take a major cap hit next season, I'd have to consider that option as well. As far as Boothe, if he is annointed Center then whoever the coach is has to get him to practice snaps millions of times in the offseason as well as bury his head into the playbook and learn all protection calls centers tend to be responsible for.</P>

The biggest concern for this O-line in the offseasonwill not be Boothe/Petrus/Baas but rather what to do to replace K-Mac and quite possibly Diehl.</P>

I think Baas played some OG out in SF, not 100% but I feel like I heard that before, LOL

We have a few OL guys who I wouldnt mind cutting ties with as long as the cap hits arent tremendous. The guys that come to mind are K-Mack, Diehl, and Baas. When Beatty is back Diehl sure as hell aint holding down the LT spot, he wasnt the LG that I thought he was gonna be and used to be earlier in his career, IMO the only way he'll start is if he can hold down the RT spot, cause K-Mack is DONE
</P>

Baas' natural position is in fact Guard and he only played center out of necessity for one season last season for the 49ers. He actually hasbeen quoted as sayingthat he is a Guard and prefers it. Unless something dramatic happensdue toa new coachingstaff, I am in line with your thinking as well. I thought about the Diehl to RT spot as well in another thread. It is possible but not sure how he'd fair there. Very tough decisions this offseason regarding O-line and how to proceed for the future.</P>

Vtgmenfan89
12-21-2011, 03:22 PM
There goes the running game if Coughlin hands him back the starting job

Kase-1
12-21-2011, 03:25 PM

</p>

I'd consider seeing Baas at Guard and Boothe at Center. It will all be very dependent onwhat coaching staff is inplace next season. If they can cut ties with Baas and not take a major cap hit next season, I'd have to consider that option as well. As far as Boothe, if he is annointed Center then whoever the coach is has to get him to practice snaps millions of times in the offseason as well as bury his head into the playbook and learn all protection calls centers tend to be responsible for.</p>

The biggest concern for this O-line in the offseasonwill not be Boothe/Petrus/Baas but rather what to do to replace K-Mac and quite possibly Diehl.</p>

I think Baas played some OG out in SF, not 100% but I feel like I heard that before, LOL

</p>

Unless something dramatic happensdue toa new coachingstaff, I am in line with your thinking as well. I thought about the Diehl to RT spot as well in another thread. It is possible but not sure how he'd fair there. Very tough decisions this offseason regarding O-line and how to proceed for the future.</p>
LT: Beatty
LG: Petrus (Baas?)
C: Boothe
RG: Snee
RT: Diehl? 1st or 2nd round draft pick? FA like Demetrius Bell from Buffalo or Jared Gaither from Baltimore??

We def have a few things that need to be addressed with our OL
<span class="article"></span>

Gianthunter
12-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Yeah, what would we do without our blocking TE who can't block????</P>Is he the end all no. But your complete dismissal is ignorant. IMO

repeatchamps
12-21-2011, 03:28 PM

</P>

</P>

Unless something dramatic happensdue toa new coachingstaff, I am in line with your thinking as well. I thought about the Diehl to RT spot as well in another thread. It is possible but not sure how he'd fair there. Very tough decisions this offseason regarding O-line and how to proceed for the future.</P>

RT: Diehl? 1st or 2nd round draft pick? FA like Demetrius Bell from Buffalo or Jared Gaither from Baltimore??

<SPAN class=article></SPAN></P>

Gaither is a free agent? I am all for that guy coming in here. Bell would be nice as well. Both are solid fits.</P>

Kase-1
12-21-2011, 03:33 PM

</p>

The biggest concern for this O-line in the offseasonwill not be Boothe/Petrus/Baas but rather what to do to replace K-Mac and quite possibly Diehl.</p>

</p>

Unless something dramatic happensdue toa new coachingstaff, I am in line with your thinking as well. I thought about the Diehl to RT spot as well in another thread. It is possible but not sure how he'd fair there. Very tough decisions this offseason regarding O-line and how to proceed for the future.</p>

<span class="article"></span></p>

Gaither is a free agent? I am all for that guy coming in here. Bell would be nice as well. Both are solid fits.</p><span class="article">Demetrius Bell (BUF) - OT - Bell is another
under-the-radar player capable of protecting the blindside and is a
vital piece to the Bills' offense with an expiring contract. Though
he's an above average pass protector, he's an even better run blocker
for the left side. The Bills have some work to be done to keep all of
the pieces together, which could allow Bell to slip through the cracks
into free agency.

</span><span class="article">D'Anthony Batiste (ARZ) - OT

Levi Brown (ARZ) - OT

Brandon Keith (ARZ) - OT

Mark LeVoir (BAL) - OT

Demetrius Bell (BUF) - OT

Erik Pears (BUF) - OT

Anthony Collins (CIN) - OT

Dennis Roland (CIN) - OT

Oniel Cousins (CLE) - OT

Artis Hicks (CLE) - OT

Guy Whimper (JAC) - OT

Jared Gaither (KC) - OT

Barry Richardson (KC) - OT

Vernon Carey (MIA) - OT

Kareem McKenzie (NYG) - OT

Robert Turner (NYJ) - OT

Khalif Barnes (OAK) - OT

Stephon Heyer (OAK) - OT

King Dunlap (PHI) - OT

Trai Essex (PIT) - OT

Max Starks (PIT) - OT

Breno Giacomini (SEA) - OT

Adam Snyder (SF) - OT

Adam Goldberg (STL) - OT

James Lee (TB) - OT

Mike Otto (TEN) - OT

C.J. Davis (CAR) - OT - Exclusive Rights

Geoff Schwartz (CAR) - OT - Restricted

Garry Williams (CAR) - OT - Restricted

Jermey Parnell (DAL) - OT - Exclusive Rights

Chris Clark (DEN) - OT - Exclusive Rights

Corey Hilliard (DET) - OT - Restricted

Lydon Murtha (MIA) - OT - Restricted

Patrick Brown (MIN) - OT - Exclusive Rights

Brandyn Dombrowski (SD) - OT - Restricted

Alex Boone (SF) - OT - Exclusive Rights

2012 NFL Free Agents (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/ol.html)
</span>

GMENAGAIN
12-21-2011, 03:57 PM

Yeah, what would we do without our blocking TE who can't block????</P>

Is he the end all no. But your complete dismissal is ignorant. IMO</P>

That's ok, I think that you thinking that Pascoe is an NFL caliber player and/or will have any impact whatsoever on this game and/or will be on an NFL roster next year is ignorant . . . . so we're even.</P>