PDA

View Full Version : Nicks Finally Feeling Like His Old Self Again

RoanokeFan
11-30-2012, 06:40 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...old-self-again (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/11/nicks-finally-feeling-like-his-old-self-again)

Excerpt: "There were moments on Sunday night when even Hakeem Nicks could finally feel it. He felt the explosion that Victor Cruz saw, and the “old powerful style of football” that Eli Manning said his best receiver plays.

“Certain plays,” Nicks said, “I felt like I got back to myself.”

That couldn’t have come at a better time for the Giants, who desperately need a healthy Nicks for the stretch run of their season. There had been a hole in their offense since he added a knee injury to his ailing foot at the end of his breakout game in Week 2 against Tampa Bay.

But his five-catch, 77-yard, one-touchdown performance in the 38-10 win over the Packers signaled a healthy return for the Giants’ No. 1 receiver. And all of a sudden, the Giants’ offense felt whole – and dangerous – again.

“Definitely,” Cruz said on Thursday. “There’s obviously an attention that the defense pays to him at times when he’s out there. And from an energy standpoint, you can just feel when he’s out there. It’s a different energy when he’s talking to us, when he’s out there on the field. It’s good to have him back.”

Good for the Giants, but maybe not so good for the Redskins, whom they face on Monday night. Even Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said that when Nicks is fully healthy, “He’s a beast, there’s no doubt about it.” The last time a fully healthy Nicks and Cruz teamed up the Giants’ offense looked nearly unstoppable. Nicks had 10 catches for 199 yards and a touchdown in the Giants’ 41-34 win. Cruz had 11 catches for 179 yards and a touchdown.

Afterwards many were touting them as the best wide receiver tandem in the entire league.

They are rarely mentioned in that category anymore, but they haven’t forgotten what they’re capable of doing when they’re on top of their games together.

“We just want to be 100 percent so we can do some of the things that we did in that Tampa game,” Cruz said. “Be a dual threat, be able to (allow Eli Manning to) pass to either one of us and get some big yardage and make some big plays. We feel like we’re almost there. We’re almost close to that. I feel we’re kicking up right at the right time.”

“We know what we can bring to the table,” Nicks added. “We look forward to doing it.” Read more...

Buddy333
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
He did look a lot better last week. Tacking on tacklers and fighting for yardage. Now if last week was a sign that Randle is ready to be a threat things could be looking way up for this offense.

RoanokeFan
11-30-2012, 07:52 AM
He did look a lot better last week. Tacking on tacklers and fighting for yardage. Now if last week was a sign that Randle is ready to be a threat things could be looking way up for this offense.

I am still a little concerned about Randle's two bobbles.

Giant stuck in Texas
11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I have a feeling we wont be seeing very much of Mr. Griffen Monday night. It's gonna be the Eli and co. show all night long!!!

Go Giants!!!!!

BigBlue wins
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I am still a little concerned about Randle's two bobbles.

I think its a mix of his technique and focus on the ball. I dont have a DVR of the game so i can't check, but I think one of the bobbles came from him getting hit immediately after a catch. For a rookie I'm sure thats a hurdle that takes a bit to overcome.

OrangeGiant
11-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I think its a mix of his technique and focus on the ball. I dont have a DVR of the game so i can't check, but I think one of the bobbles came from him getting hit immediately after a catch. For a rookie I'm sure thats a hurdle that takes a bit to overcome.

Half of the problem is that punt returners wait until the last second sometimes to call a fair catch, or don't call it at all when they should and just focus on catching the ball. They are watching the gunners coming at them, gauging can they catch it and make a quick move to avoid them and get a good return, and they lose focus on catching the ball. I've seen it a lot this year with several teams.