PDA

View Full Version : Giants End Playoff Drought: 1981 (One for the Oldtimers)

45Jones
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Found this blog with a link to some video, Giants beat Dallas in OT and go to the playoffs for the first time since 1963.

http://bigbluevcr.blogspot.com/2012/08/1981-giants-v-cowboys.html

Cool Papa B.
11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow. That brings back some memories.

I don't think I'll ever complain about Lawrence Tynes again.....

joemorrisforprez
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I remember that game.

There was a thread a couple weeks back asking to name the "best Non-Super Bowl season".....1981 was my choice.....I was a kid at the time, and me and my Dad used to watch the games every week.....that was my first year watching the Giants go to the playoffs, so it was huge.

1981 was the end of the dark ages for the Giants.

Think about it.....18 years between playoff appearances.....that's why there were so many Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, and Raider fans from NJ back then. I remember going to school with those schmucks....it wasn't easy.

Like I said, to me, that was the biggest season next to the 4 Super Bowl seasons.

joemorrisforprez
11-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Miss #1....regulation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj7bsfGMUlo

joemorrisforprez
11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Miss #2...regulation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8EOccMNPg

joemorrisforprez
11-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Joe makes FG to force overtime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WrIba_WWWE

joemorrisforprez
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Miss #3.....Overtime

By this point, my old man was about to have a coronary.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od8EBicwckQ

45Jones
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I was going to Trenton State College and pumping gas part time, listening to that Saturday game on the shop radio. Man it was cold outside that day, I remember **** Lynch yelling Giants win! Giants win! Giants win!

I just about busted a blood vessel when they beat the Eagles in the playoff game at the Vet. I had been watching since '69 so that year was a sweet memory for me too.

If anyone can find video of that playoff game you would be my hero!

joemorrisforprez
11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
JOE DANELO WINS IT IN OVERTIME (FINALLY!!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mbY3IHqrs

yatitle
11-30-2012, 06:01 PM
I remember watching the game in college. On one of Danello's misses, I was convinced it was good until Pat Summerall announced that he missed. Agonizing game gainst the hated Cowboys. Game was on Saturday and the Giants needed the Jets to beat the Packers the next day for both teams to make the playoffs. I despised the Jets then and still do till this day. Watched the entire game on Sunday with numerous Jets fans and refused to celebrate a single Jets play. When the game ended I ssilently went back to my dorm and when all alone let out a yell that the Giants were in the playoffs.

keyofgmen
11-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I was there on college break I sat in my friends families seats, as my older brother had ours. Cold and at times frustrating game, as I remember. But when that kick went in against the most hated team, it was actually hard to believe. It took time to realize and it overshadowed the Jets game in a lot of ways for me.

GameTime
11-30-2012, 06:52 PM
I had only been a Giants fan a few years by that point......But as a kid I do remember all the grumblings of how the Giants stunk....
In my early years I was a Viking fan......till I was about 10 or so....

jomo
11-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Lol, those misses are hard to watch 31 years later and I know how the game turns out.

Eliscruzzz
11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
The Giants should wear their old uniforms at least twice a year. That would be awesome.

ashleymarie
11-30-2012, 07:19 PM
That took me back. Thanks.

tomt
11-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I remember that game.

There was a thread a couple weeks back asking to name the "best Non-Super Bowl season".....1981 was my choice.....I was a kid at the time, and me and my Dad used to watch the games every week.....that was my first year watching the Giants go to the playoffs, so it was huge.

Think about it.....18 years between playoff appearances.....that's why there were so many Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, and Raider fans from NJ back then. I remember going to school with those schmucks....it wasn't easy.

Like I said, to me, that was the biggest season next to the 4 Super Bowl seasons.

Absolutely remember all the junior high and high school guys rooting for staubach and the cowboys. that's why I have a soft spot for the Steelers. In the late 70's, it was the only way to see the cowboys lose, though rams and vikes did beat 'em every once in a while.

JJC7301
12-01-2012, 12:48 AM
I remember that game.

That was around the time that I started following football and became a Giants fan because one of my friends was...and also because my dad is a Jets fan and I just wanted to break his chops.

There were a lot of Cowboys fans back then. Schmuks is right.

PennState1
12-01-2012, 04:03 AM
I was at that game. It was so cold!!! I hated the Zcowboys then and I still hate them today. I lived in Dallas for 11 years and flew my giants flag outside my front door every day for 11 years. Boy did I take some abuse.

SweetZombieJesus
12-01-2012, 07:33 AM

I wasn't really paying close attention back then but I do remember how badly the Giants sucked and how everybody was a Steeler Cowboy or Raider fan in school. I didn't see so many Dolphin fans but a good buddy of mine is one and I see a bunch of them at Miami Mike's... How do you explain a swarming nest of Dolphin fans in NJ, lol. Certainly explains why the fans seem to come out of the woodwork for these teams at the Meadowlands.

It really annoys me how in the next generation there are so damned many Cowboy & 49er fans though... I mean, geez, the Giants were good and winning Super Bowls and we STILL have to listen to our own home grown players like Cruz talk about growing up being Cowboy fans and mentioning COWBOY players when they talk about their childhood Super Bowl dreams.

I imagine it must be like being a Browns fan today -- a very proud history with several decades of utter misery piled on top. (Not including the team move to Baltimore and gap before the new team was installed).