PDA

View Full Version : Gutsiest Call in NYG History?

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 02:38 AM
I think the 1986 SB Punt formation shift on 4th and inches is the winner and will be the gutsiest NYG call ever. Just saw a clip of it on NFL Network. Man, that was ballsy. We're losing 10-9 at halftime. Our opening drive to start the 2nd half, Parcells calls it. They ran it vs Denver earlier in the yr, and they were not fooled at all during the SB. Rutiledge (sp?) didnt even know if he should run the play bc Denver adjusted to the formation shift so well and werent fooled at all, and looks at Parcells twice as to ask "we shouldnt do this right?" only for parcells to tell him yup do it by nodding his head, do it and it converted.
That was the springboard for our 2nd half, and we put like 30 points up or something.Landetta credited that fake punt call for the 30 point spring board, but he was on that special teams unit so hes prob a lil biased, ha. Had we punted or failed at that conversion attempt, who knows how the game ends up. That call by Parcells was the shot in the arm that awoke the team...such a gutsy play call

PennState1
12-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Eli had THR entire Patriots D line hanging on his back...he stays on his feet somehow, escapes and makes a critical decision to heave the ball as far as he can down the middle of the field into double coverage to David Tyree who couldn't catch anything in practice the day before and wins the Super Bowl against a Tom Brady led 18-0 team. LEGENDARY!!!Greatest moment in Giant history...and I was there on the 30 yard line to see it live with my own eyes. LEGENDARY!!!

PennState1
12-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Eli had THR entire Patriots D line hanging on his back...he stays on his feet somehow, escapes and makes a critical decision to heave the ball as far as he can down the middle of the field into double coverage to David Tyree who couldn't catch anything in practice the day before and wins the Super Bowl against a Tom Brady led 18-0 team. LEGENDARY!!!Greatest moment in Giant history...and I was there on the 30 yard line to see it live with my own eyes. LEGENDARY!!!We don't have a clue who good we have it right now. To be a Giant fan with Eli as our QB!!! PRICELESS!!! That's uncle Ernie and thanks Wellington!!! It's good to be the king!!!!

fizzlesticks
12-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Eli had THR entire Patriots D line hanging on his back...he stays on his feet somehow, escapes and makes a critical decision to heave the ball as far as he can down the middle of the field into double coverage to David Tyree who couldn't catch anything in practice the day before and wins the Super Bowl against a Tom Brady led 18-0 team. LEGENDARY!!!Greatest moment in Giant history...and I was there on the 30 yard line to see it live with my own eyes. LEGENDARY!!!

That wasn't gutsy at all...it was a normal passing play.

BuffyBlueII
12-01-2012, 04:16 AM
I see someone else was also up late and watched NFL Network 10 gutsiest calls ever, lol..........

nygfan90
12-01-2012, 04:19 AM
I see someone else was also up late and watched NFL Network 10 gutsiest calls ever, lol..........Not really the coaches call but more matt dodges call..ready for it?...nah im not gonna say it lol

miked1958
12-01-2012, 04:23 AM
Im thinking the fake punt that was snapped directly to Gary Reasons in the 1990 NFCCG @ SF. That play netted like 35/40 yards and helped us best the niners and stop the 3peat. Awesome call by Parcells

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IthfQ9qFZ_8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIthfQ9qFZ_8

dave56dj
12-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Eli's play was amazing - maybe greatest in our history but it wasn't a gutsy call at all. As fizzle stated it was just a normal passing play made abnormal by a special player.

Parcells also made many conservative calls to punt and trust the d with very little time left and down in a game that were gutsy as well.

BlueSanta
12-01-2012, 04:32 AM
I thinking the fake punt that was snapped directly to Gary Reasons in the 1990 NFCCG @ SF. That play netted like 35/40 yards and helped us best the niners and stop the 3peat. Awesome call by Parcells

Winner winner Chicken Dinner

miked1958
12-01-2012, 04:39 AM
I know this thread is for the gutsiest calls but I have some other favorite PLAYS in history as well.

Bavaro dragging Ronnie Lott and Niner players trying to tackle him getting knocked off like bowling pins.

Ingram dragging like 8 players for a first down...

Marshall/Montana

Gary Reasons Huge hit at goal line on Humpries on 4th down. Came flying over the Line like Superman launching himself at the ball carrier. He had to other huge hits on that drive

SweetZombieJesus
12-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Others have said this was not a ballsy call and it first glance it's not. I've watched and analyzed that play a billion times. The call itself was not gutsy but the execution was. Eli had Steve Smith open with good separation on a short slant and it would have been an easy first down. Eli even makes eye contact with him. Instead Eli chucks it down field to Tyree instead of taking the gimme. BALLS. I SO wish I could have been there, you fortunate ******* you!

jomo
12-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Parcells was a coach who would absolutely put you to sleep as a fan against a weak oponent. He would take no risks and run both sides of the ball in totally vanilla fashion. As the oponent got tougher, Parcells would be more likely to push the envelope in all three phases of the game. That play in the Super Bowl was one of those moments.

Toadofsteel
12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
In terms of play-calling, one of the gutsiest calls in more modern history is that hail mary vs the packers. It was only the 2nd quarter, and we were ahead. It was more to break GB's will to play than to score points.

TextureDj
12-01-2012, 09:53 AM
In terms of play-calling, one of the gutsiest calls in more modern history is that hail mary vs the packers. It was only the 2nd quarter, and we were ahead. It was more to break GB's will to play than to score points.And it sure did break their spirit. Where were the Gilbride haters that day? Waiting for that pass to be picked so they could spam the boards is where they were.

miked1958
12-01-2012, 09:58 AM
In terms of play-calling, one of the gutsiest calls in more modern history is that hail mary vs the packers. It was only the 2nd quarter, and we were ahead. It was more to break GB's will to play than to score points.well in fairness I don't think a Hail Mary at the end of a half is in the gutsiest calls category. Most teams do it at the end of the half. It's not a surprise to the defense. It just like put 4/5 guys in one spot and throw it as far as u can to end half. But yea. U usually see it when a team is behind, not ahead. Most of the time coaches that are ahead will take the conservative option and either kneel or just run into the line for fear of a turnover. But my point is when the defense sees your formation they know what's coming, it's not a surprise like the other plays mentioned on here

drewz
12-01-2012, 09:59 AM
In terms of play-calling, one of the gutsiest calls in more modern history is that hail mary vs the packers. It was only the 2nd quarter, and we were ahead. It was more to break GB's will to play than to score points.

How was that gutsy? That was call was zero risk/high reward

Cool Papa B.
12-01-2012, 10:15 AM

I don't see how that was a gutsy call. There was only a few seconds left in the half. Eli threw it deep into the end zone where there were a lot of giants WRs. even if the ball was intercepted there were enough giants players around to tackle someone.

I agree with the guy who posted about the fack punt in the 1990 NFCCG. It was late in the game with the Giants trailing and the momentum on the side of the 49ers. They needed something to change fast or they would have lost that game.

A distant 2nd for me would be Eli's 38 yard completion to Manningham in SB 46. Deep in Patriots territory and late in the 4th quarter they needed a momentum building play. Plus that was not an easy pass or catch to make.

Ruttiger711
12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Im thinking the fake punt that was snapped directly to Gary Reasons in the 1990 NFCCG @ SF. That play netted like 35/40 yards and helped us best the niners and stop the 3peat. Awesome call by Parcells

This is definitley the first play that comes to mind, but also hard to argue the 86 play since it was the SB.

bansaw
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM

this was my call coming into thread

I say most guts play was Mark Ingram 3rd and 13 in Superbowl XXV, narrowly edging out Eli in XLII

Ruttiger711
12-01-2012, 12:45 PM
this was my call coming into threadI say most guts play was Mark Ingram 3rd and 13 in Superbowl XXV, narrowly edging out Eli in XLIIGives me chills still anytime I see it.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 01:10 PM
This is definitley the first play that comes to mind, but also hard to argue the 86 play since it was the SB.
yeah but the story behind the nfccg one was awesome as well bc they were supposed to run it the previous punt but reasons audibled out of it. then when they did run it, it was perfect bc sf only had 10 players on the field, the 11th guy woulda been right where reasons was designed to run.

buffyblue, yeah u nailed it i saw that last night it was awesome to see. it was cool too cuz they got landettas view of both.

GMan-67
12-01-2012, 02:29 PM

yup that's the one that popped into my head, thanks for the link

oh and reading other posts .... let's define gutsy as a call coming straight from the head coach

RagTime Blue
12-01-2012, 03:12 PM

I don't see that as being particularly gutsy at all. We had (have) a kicker who can't make long FG's. There's only time for one play, so turnovers only matter if they're returned for TD.

I'd say there was a 20% chance of a Giants TD.
79% chance of "End of Half".
1% chance of Packers TD.

A no-brainer in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite plays ever. . .but not a gutsy (risky) one at all. I think because of Tynes' distance limitations, the Giants will continue to call more of these (as well as "go for it" on 4th down) than most teams in the league.

CowboysSuck
12-01-2012, 07:02 PM
The Fumble