PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Hakeem Nicks Still Out Of Step Following Knee and Foot Injuries

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 07:32 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_hakeem_nicks_still_out.html

Excerpt: "The Giants tried the play no less than four times against the Packers last Sunday night.

The fade route between Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks has been one of their go-to calls, taking advantage of Nicks’ physical playing style and one-on-one match-ups in the end zone.

But none of those attempts were completed for a touchdown. One was tipped by the defense, and another may have been a bit out of reach, but offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride used the missed chances as examples of how Nicks — try as he might — is still not at full strength.

“Still not the same. Not himself, no,” Gilbride said. “He had a couple chances for plays. He would have made those plays easily (if healthy). Easily.”

Nicks has fought through left knee and right foot injuries that have nagged him all season, missing three games and playing the other eight at less than 100 percent. Each of the past few weeks, the fourth-year receiver has said he feels the best he has felt all season, but Gilbride chuckled knowingly.

“Doesn’t he tell you that every week?” Gilbride asked. “Is he convincing you, himself or the opposition?”

But Gilbride appreciates that about Nicks. He has the highest respect for his player’s toughness and his will to be on the field when still hurting.

“You love the fact that he’s trying,” Gilbride said. “He’s fighting his rear end (off). He refused to accept being hurt, and he knows we’re better when he’s out there, and he’s trying to do everything he can. I admire that and everything else, but he’s not the same guy yet as he was, there’s no question about that.”

Those missed fade routes underscored that. The first incompletion was the most glaring to Gilbride, because the ball hit Nicks right in the hands.

In Gilbride’s view, Nicks right now is not used to catching the ball while being jostled — a product of missing most of the spring and summer after fracturing a bone in his foot and really only seeing live action in regular-season games. The knee injury developed in his only 100-yard receiving game of the season, against Tampa Bay in Week 2." Read more...

TheAnalyst
12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TD

Flip Empty
12-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TD
Hey now, if it's broken, keep breaking it until you fix it. Simple logic.

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Hey now, if it's broken, keep breaking it until you fix it. Simple logic. The final decision is Eli's.

krygny
12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
The final decision is Eli's.

Yeah but in a fade route or a timing route, Eli has to have confidence that the WR will execute the route before he throws the pass.

Cruz is being double-teamed and Nicks is still not 100%. We need a healthy Hixon.

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah but in a fade route or a timing route, Eli has to have confidence that the WR will execute the route before he throws the pass. Cruz is being double-teamed and Nicks is still not 100%. We need a healthy Hixon. Hixon has been practicing and I hope he's been taking some punts in practice

stormblue
12-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Randle is actually 2 inches taller and weighs the same as Nicks.,, and he is healthy
try throwing him the damn fade.
i don't understand why we don't go to a " tall " spread set in the red zone.....we have the personel.

jomo
12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TDOr leave Nicks in isolation and have him zig in with a low and inside pass from Eli. At a minimum it will help set up the fade down the road.

chasjay
12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
With the way the game was going against Green Bay, I don't fault them for trying to get Hakeem back into rhythm on the fade. I don't believe you can completely create real game pressure situations in practice.

Rudyy
12-01-2012, 12:34 PM
They should have Nicks fake the fade and go inside instead. I think they tried to do that on the last play, but Eli's ball was tipped.

GameTime
12-01-2012, 12:34 PM
The final decision is Eli's.
well then he needs to stop throwng the fade unless he knows it will have a good chance of a completion...

select onther play he and Nicks can hook up on.....

Ruttiger711
12-01-2012, 12:50 PM
An uninjured Nicks catches 4 of those 5 but yes it should have been aparrent after the first miss that Nicks couldn't get up like usual.

Mlerman17
12-01-2012, 01:27 PM
They should have Nicks fake the fade and go inside instead. I think they tried to do that on the last play, but Eli's ball was tipped.It would have been a td if it wasn't tipped.

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
well then he needs to stop throwng the fade unless he knows it will have a good chance of a completion...

select onther play he and Nicks can hook up on.....

That gets my vote. There is a part of Eli that just wants to make a play, which is admirable, until it backfires :o I hope ELi is on fire on Monday and the defense does enough to keep feeding the offense the ball

Then again, we could always hold our collective breath when Eli takes off on foot and leads with his throwing arm

GameTime
12-01-2012, 01:39 PM
That gets my vote. There is a part of Eli that just wants to make a play, which is admirable, until it backfires :o I hope ELi is on fire on Monday and the defense does enough to keep feeding the offense the ball

Then again, we could always hold our collective breath when Eli takes off on foot and leads with his throwing arm
well the Skins pass D can be taken advantage of and the Giants have the tools to exploit it. There run game only needs to be effective on Monday night. It doesnt need to be stellar....but I hope it is anyway....

53canton
12-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Why not use Barden if you want to use the fade in the end zone?! Wasnt that Plax's play? Big tall receiver outjumping the CB?? Why is Barden not being used????

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 01:49 PM
well the Skins pass D can be taken advantage of and the Giants have the tools to exploit it. There run game only needs to be effective on Monday night. It doesnt need to be stellar....but I hope it is anyway....

I think Eli is going to light up their secondary. I am very impressed with RGIII but this defense can minimize his effect on the outcome of the game.

Flip Empty
12-01-2012, 01:50 PM
It seems that way but Eli has only thrown multiple touchdowns on this team once in his career - in 2009 he threw 3. He's since thrown 3 TDs and 9 INTs over the six subsequent match-ups.

I just don't get it. I hope he can break this streak.

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Why not use Barden if you want to use the fade in the end zone?! Wasnt that Plax's play? Big tall receiver outjumping the CB?? Why is Barden not being used????

Tall doesn't equal skill sets

53canton
12-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Not saying it does. But Barden is worth a shot or two in the end zone. He had that big game this year, and has not been used since. Makes no sense.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 01:56 PM
the skins d has had elis number bad. i think the last like 5 or 6 games eli has like 3 tds and 11 ints vs them, its that bad. somehow we've won like 5 of the last 7 tho even with eli struggling.

good news for us, the last 4 times, the team who won the opening game won the 2nd won and swept the other team. we did it 3x of the last 4 yrs and washing did it to us last yr. hopefully its a 5th year and we sweep them and follow the trend

GameTime
12-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Why not use Barden if you want to use the fade in the end zone?! Wasnt that Plax's play? Big tall receiver outjumping the CB?? Why is Barden not being used????maybe he sucks....

GameTime
12-01-2012, 01:57 PM
the skins d has had elis number bad. i think the last like 5 or 6 games eli has like 3 tds and 11 ints vs them, its that bad. somehow we've won like 5 of the last 7 tho even with eli struggling.

good news for us, the last 4 times, the team who won the opening game won the 2nd won and swept the other team. we did it 3x of the last 4 yrs and washing did it to us last yr. hopefully its a 5th year and we sweep them and follow the trend
trends not withstanding the Giants should win this game. They have the talent to beat them in all phases.....

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 01:59 PM
im a big fan of barden but i get why he isnt used in that manner. on the fade, ur usually depending on the wr to beat press coverage and get on top of the wr for the jump ball. while barden has improved vs press coverage somewhat, i dont think he is trusted enough vs it to use in the redzone where every little detail is magnified.

53canton
12-01-2012, 02:02 PM
im a big fan of barden but i get why he isnt used in that manner. on the fade, ur usually depending on the wr to beat press coverage and get on top of the wr for the jump ball. while barden has improved vs press coverage somewhat, i dont think he is trusted enough vs it to use in the redzone where every little detail is magnified.

Well if he cant help in the end zone by using his height...............then he has no value on this team. Geez, you guys are way too down on him.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 02:02 PM
trends not withstanding the Giants should win this game. They have the talent to beat them in all phases.....
agreed. rg3 is a wildcard tho. i think we win, and honestly, win handily I think Eli is gonna continue onto playing his best football. But RG3, and it sucks to say, is capable of going off and making up for the inferior areas of that team. but yeah, when we met the first time, they threw in some wrinkles and it caught us off guard, and it still wasnt enough.
if they dont have any new wrinkles, and they continue to run that pistol spread option read, i believe our D will have their way, we are gonna be the first team to play rg3 twice in the same season. so if they have some new wrinkles, the game will be competitive. if they are gonna rely on that speedster wr as their wrinkle, and run what they've been running without any new looks, we'll win by 2 or more scores. (imo)

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Well if he cant help in the end zone by using his height...............then he has no value on this team. Geez, you guys are way too down on him.
thats not true at all. he still has value. we just dont utilize it bc of whose in front of him. heck, jj has been killing it at practice and tc rewarded him by activating him. i think barden can be a player. he just needs to continue to progress at beating press coverage. i've been defending him since day 1 and havent jumped ship yet and wont, but he does visibly have issues with press coverage sometimes. and in the redzone, u cant have a "sometimes" bc that turns into turnovers and missed chances...

GMan-67
12-01-2012, 02:35 PM
he's back, IMO .... maybe 95% and finally Eli had some chemistry with him

Eli and Nicks are about to remind everyone how good they can be

stormblue
12-01-2012, 02:57 PM
KG openly admitted that Nicks is not 100% and it is obvious......his words.
so sit his *** down and let somebody healthy play until he gets better.
they are gonna **** around and get him re-injured worse and miss the playoffs.

GameTime
12-01-2012, 03:19 PM
not being 100% and not being able to play or chance of reinjuring are two entirely different things....
I say if he can make most of the plays he is capable of then keep him in. It opens everything else up and if they are going single him up then all the better

FlyingTruck
12-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Pretty crappy that we have great players like Bradshaw, Nicks, and Phillips and due to injuries they either haven't been able to play or if they do it's not at 100%.

BillTheGreek
12-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Not me !..... I Like Barden.....I hope they use him in the End Zone.........It will pay off, instead of FG's

CowboysSuck
12-01-2012, 06:41 PM
So in other words, Hakeem Nicks has been injured the entire season. Thats helpful.

hmmmm, I will never call him a bust, but lets just hope for his sake he isnt out more than 2 or 3 games next year..

tcseacliff
12-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Yeah but in a fade route or a timing route, Eli has to have confidence that the WR will execute the route before he throws the pass.

Cruz is being double-teamed and Nicks is still not 100%. We need a healthy Hixon.

couldn't Randle handle that throw? he is is big enough to go up right?

CowboysSuck
12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
couldn't Randle handle that throw? he is is big enough to go up right?

How are you not banned?

I could have sworn you just posted a .gif of a completely naked woman's behind. Im confused.

tcseacliff
12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
How are you not banned?

I could have sworn you just posted a .gif of a completely naked woman's behind. Im confused.

maybe the anal police missed it! or I was lucky. It was too funny at the time so i figured i would take the bulltet for you guys, 'cause , it is a fabulous ***! i did get an infraction mentioning the president though.

CowboysSuck
12-01-2012, 07:05 PM
maybe the anal police missed it! or I was lucky. It was too funny at the time so i figured i would take the bulltet for you guys, 'cause , it is a fabulous ***! i did get an infraction mentioning the president though.

No worries, I've been banned multiple times.

Lets just say I enjoy ​stirring the pot

tcseacliff
12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
No worries, I've been banned multiple times.

Lets just say I enjoy ​stirring the pot

how long are the bans ? would hate to miss the rest of this season!! is it too late to remove the butt?

CowboysSuck
12-01-2012, 07:34 PM
how long are the bans ? would hate to miss the rest of this season!! is it too late to remove the butt?

Bans are anywhere from 3 days to lifetime, depending on severity obviously.

You can always go back and hit "edit post" , delete post, check the little delete post circle, and it will be gone.

Or you can "edit post" and just take the .gif out and hit "save"

tcseacliff
12-01-2012, 07:39 PM
She is GONE! Forget their are younger people on here! LOL! Did not hurt them! It was a pleasant experience. Better tham waloking in on dad showing his tween pounding mom, right?

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 08:11 PM
An uninjured Nicks catches 4 of those 5 but yes it should have been aparrent after the first miss that Nicks couldn't get up like usual.I love the avatar I used to have the same one

stormblue
12-01-2012, 08:33 PM
not being 100% and not being able to play or chance of reinjuring are two entirely different things....
I say if he can make most of the plays he is capable of then keep him in. It opens everything else up and if they are going single him up then all the better

Randle is taller and faster and healthy and weighs the same...so he is also a beast
Barden has a way better catch per target ratio than Nicks.
people are so enamored with what Nicks did last year and what he is capable of doing ...
that they seem to ignore the fact that this year he is not producing as much as a healthy
back-up would.

Ruttiger711
12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Randle is taller and faster and healthy and weighs the same...so he is also a beast
Barden has a way better catch per target ratio than Nicks.
people are so enamored with what Nicks did last year and what he is capable of doing ...
that they seem to ignore the fact that this year he is not producing as much as a healthy
back-up would.

people are enamored with Nicks because he is a top receiver.... Barden isnt, and his performance against Carolina was an anomoly...

Randle needs to produce before you can call him a beast...

Ruttiger711
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I love the avatar I used to have the same one

What a play :)

stormblue
12-01-2012, 10:14 PM
people are enamored with Nicks because he is a top receiver.... Barden isnt, and his performance against Carolina was an anomoly...

Randle needs to produce before you can call him a beast...

Nicks WAS a top receiver ....he is NOT right now....that is my point.
you folks can stay in denial all you want....

his targets to catch ratio is a lousy 57% .....the worst % of all our wide receivers.
and 13.2 yards per catch is next to last on the team.
but he is targeted the 2nd most most behind Cruz
these are wasted plays that could be going to healthier receivers that have better production.

its like giving your running back that averages the least yards per carry and fumbles the most
more carries than the other backs.
its just stupid.

and i know its because he's injured......but that doesn't change the bottom line.
rest him till he's healthy.

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Nicks WAS a top receiver ....he is NOT right now....that is my point.
you folks can stay in denial all you want....

his targets to catch ratio is a lousy 57% .....the worst % of all our wide receivers.
and 13.2 yards per catch is next to last on the team.
but he is targeted the 2nd most most behind Cruz
these are wasted plays that could be going to healthier receivers that have better production.

its like giving your running back that averages the least yards per carry and fumbles the most
more carries than the other backs.
its just stupid.

and i know its because he's injured......but that doesn't change the bottom line.
rest him till he's healthy.wow the guy has one off year due to injury and still plays and you say this....Nicks is a beast. Catch to target ratio means nothing cause you have to take into account all the throw that he was trying to catch. The ball could've been real high maybe the ball was intended for him and Eli was trying to throw it away...you just don't know.

stormblue
12-01-2012, 11:23 PM
wow the guy has one off year due to injury and still plays and you say this....Nicks is a beast. Catch to target ratio means nothing cause you have to take into account all the throw that he was trying to catch. The ball could've been real high maybe the ball was intended for him and Eli was trying to throw it away...you just don't know.

same QB as the rest of the wide receivers on this team......i'm not comparing him to other WR's on other teams.
he has lousy stats as compaired with his own teammates.
and i'm not questioning his talents or skills or anything else but the fact that he is injured
and this keeps him from performing at his normal level.

so stop acting like i'm attacking him.....he is one my favorite players.
but he is not healthy , it has nothing to do with having a "down year"
it has to do with the fact that he is injured and we should be using other players that CAN perform
at their highest level.

if you disagree , thats fine , but it doesn't change the facts.

Flip Empty
12-01-2012, 11:40 PM
I'd rather have a 70% Nicks than a 100% Barden. At least defenses respect the former.

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 11:41 PM
same QB as the rest of the wide receivers on this team......i'm not comparing him to other WR's on other teams.
he has lousy stats as compaired with his own teammates.
and i'm not questioning his talents or skills or anything else but the fact that he is injured
and this keeps him from performing at his normal level.

so stop acting like i'm attacking him.....he is one my favorite players.
but he is not healthy , it has nothing to do with having a "down year"
it has to do with the fact that he is injured and we should be using other players that CAN perform
at their highest level.

if you disagree , thats fine , but it doesn't change the facts.He has lousy stats compared to his teammates??? You do realize he was out for three games??He also is just 200 yards behind Cruz he can make that up in one great game. The dude is a beast when he is 100%. Relax I never said you were attacking him...just saying you have to take all things into account when you give a targets to catch ratio stat.

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Just because Megatron is a freak of nature still puts up a insane amount of stats when he is injured doesn't me all elite receivers do. He may not be in the top three but he is definitely top 10.

Flip Empty
12-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Yeah Megatron dwarfs all defenders in height and reach. Comparing him to Nicks would be silly.

miked1958
12-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TDif they want to try that play so much at least use Bardens height

bearbryant
12-02-2012, 03:19 AM
The # of times we through the fade to 88 in the EZ was stupid. First, their timing isn't on for that trhow, nicks should be supplanted by Barden. Practice it till its correct and then run the damn play. No Nicks ain't back 100% yet and it shows.

CowboysSuck
12-02-2012, 06:56 PM
She is GONE! Forget their are younger people on here! LOL! Did not hurt them! It was a pleasant experience. Better tham waloking in on dad showing his tween pounding mom, right?

Wow. And I got a ....ah forget it, I'll get myself into more trouble.

???? :confused:

LOL my goodness

CowboysSuck
11-22-2013, 12:15 PM
So whats worse?

Us complaining about an injured, unproductive Nicks. Or us complaining about an unproductive Nicks?

This is two years in a row now and I'm starting to wonder.... what happened to that fire?

giantsforce
11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
The final decision is Eli's.So how well has that worked so far? Maybe it is time to try something different since the same old tired plays that everyone has come to expect, are not working.

BBlue4ever
11-22-2013, 12:43 PM
So whats worse?

Us complaining about an injured, unproductive Nicks. Or us complaining about an unproductive Nicks?

This is two years in a row now and I'm starting to wonder.... what happened to that fire?

I totally agree. I said this in another thread, it's not just his lack of productivity, it's the fact that he doesn't show any fire or passion. One of the great things about Nicks was that Eli used to just throw him the ball in coverage and he would fight for it. I know that Eli with all the INTs hasn't been doing that as much, but the few opportunities Nicks did get he missed the play.

I believe there are many factors. Nicks losing a half-step to injury, the offensive struggles this year, and Cruz blowing up and becoming a superstar. Regardless of this though Nicks needs to still give all he's got on every play and do the little things like block, hustle, and run sharp routes. He is a veteran on this team and should be showing more leadership!

keyofgmen
11-22-2013, 06:21 PM
I was thinking about Nicks and I remembered his calf issue. If I remember correctly, he had what is called "compartment syndrome". This is a very serious condition that requires basically filleting the muscle to relieve extreme pressure due to severe inflammation from whatever caused it. I think this is what has dogged him. This was much more serious than portrayed at the time. There may be a fundamental long term weakness there now.

PennState1
11-23-2013, 12:49 AM
wow the guy has one off year due to injury and still plays and you say this....Nicks is a beast. Catch to target ratio means nothing cause you have to take into account all the throw that he was trying to catch. The ball could've been real high maybe the ball was intended for him and Eli was trying to throw it away...you just don't know.

Correction...two "off years". In a row.

PennState1
11-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I'd rather have a 70% Nicks than a 100% Barden. At least defenses respect the former.

I agree with you there but how about at 30-40% because that's what they are getting.