PDA

View Full Version : Giants Going With Trio At Position

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 06:35 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...7KmEjPi26NxFTK (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/safety_protocol_FGpcu4tP7KmEjPi26NxFTK)

Excerpt: "As long as the main characters stay healthy, the three-safety scheme that helped the Giants win the Super Bowl last year looks here to stay.

The return of Kenny Phillips from a six-game absence last week allowed coach Tom Coughlin’s team to use a three-safety look against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, and the result was a resounding 38-10 victory that snapped Big Blue’s two-game losing streak.

With Phillips likely to be available again after he bounced back well from another knee injury sustained in that game, the Giants sound as if Robert Griffin III and the Redskins can expect to face the same system Monday night when the NFC East rivals square off in Landover, Md.

“We would like it to become the norm,” Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said yesterday. “I think it can be effective against a running team or a passing team because of who [the three safeties] are and what they bring to the table.”

The scheme, which calls for a safety (usually Antrel Rolle) to cover the opponent’s primary slot receiver instead of a nickel cornerback while Phillips and Stevie Brown fill the normal safety roles, had mostly gone on the back burner this season while Phillips missed those six games with knee woes.

But Phillips returned Sunday night, and the effectiveness of the three-safety scheme returned with him as the Giants limited Rodgers — the reigning MVP — to just 219 passing yards and one touchdown while intercepting him once and handing Green Bay by far its most lopsided loss of the season." Read more...

jomo
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
It worked beautifully last week against a high octane offense. I would ride this horse until it drops! Go Blue!!

Flip Empty
12-01-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm just glad the 'Fire Fewell' storm has subsided.

jomo
12-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm just glad the 'Fire Fewell' storm has subsided.Shhhhh, they never fall into a deep sleep and are never far away. lol

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 12:26 PM
It worked beautifully last week against a high octane offense. I would ride this horse until it drops! Go Blue!!

I didn't realize they actually went to 4 safeties at times last game.

RoanokeFan
12-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm just glad the 'Fire Fewell' storm has subsided.

Wait for the first blown assignment, it's coming