PDA

View Full Version : RG3: Perfect Play Action

TheEnigma
12-01-2012, 12:21 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/01/robert-griffin-perfect-play-action/

We’ve been touting our new Signature Stat that breaks down the best quarterbacks on Play Action Passes, but it’s now time to take a look at some of the game film behind the best play action passer in the league, Robert Griffin III.

Most quarterbacks see a moderate improvement when using play action, as passing lanes are generally bigger with the defense having to show respect for the run. But in Griffin’s case, the difference is astronomical. His 12.5 yards per attempt when using play action ranks first in the league, while his 5.7 yards per attempt without play action ranks dead last.

Read more from the link...

GameTime
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
of course it is because of the option of him running......AND with Morris in the game he has been running great too. Not a surprise there.....

Rusty192
12-01-2012, 01:34 PM
lol three words: Alfred freaking Morris.

..and what GameTime said.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 01:44 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/01/robert-griffin-perfect-play-action/

We’ve been touting our new Signature Stat that breaks down the best quarterbacks on Play Action Passes, but it’s now time to take a look at some of the game film behind the best play action passer in the league, Robert Griffin III.

Most quarterbacks see a moderate improvement when using play action, as passing lanes are generally bigger with the defense having to show respect for the run. But in Griffin’s case, the difference is astronomical. His 12.5 yards per attempt when using play action ranks first in the league, while his 5.7 yards per attempt without play action ranks dead last.

Read more from the link...
havent read the article yet but will. but i will say that the stat could be misleading bc washington bases its entire offense on that pistol spread option read...vvirtually every pass is a PA that is predicated on the 1 progression read by RG3. Its such a simplified offense really, which is why its in college and not so much the nfl.
the reason its worked so well so far is bc nfl defenses havent seen it yet. we'll be the first team to see it a 2nd time and we're the 1rst team to play rg3 twice in the same season. its my contention if they try running that offense, we will have our way with them. it wouldnt surprise me to see a new wrinkle, or to see washington go to another formation look. teams are going to be better prepared to play rg3 after the 1rst time bc they will have seen his quickness and athleticism first hand, u just cant get that from film.

should be interesting but thats my take on it.

TheBookOfEli
12-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I have noticed how excellent RG3 sells the play action. It truly is what's leading to his success, and like others have said, Alfred Morris.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
w/o the pa, rg3 has a 5.7 ypa which is 32nd ranked. and thats bc so many of his passes are behind the LOS. when they dont do that 1 read pistol spread option PA, he's throwing a high % swing pass behind the LOS with a quick tempo.
stat isnt impressive imo bc of their offense, rg3 is impressive, not this stat.

TheEnigma
12-01-2012, 01:51 PM
should be interesting but thats my take on it.

I really like this article because it gives an unbiased analysis on how RG3 has been utilized by the Shanahans so far this season and explains how RG3's skillset is a perfect match for the zone blocking scheme they have utilized since their days in Denver. Alfred Morris is a key cog but it all starts with the QB's mind and threat to run it to the house from almost every play. The end of the article really sums up RG3 at this point in his career.

GameTime
12-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I am not one to disect a players stats and what have you....
Watch RG...the kid is good. I have seen him make plenty of long passes this season. The PS works for Skins O because of his threat to run and Morris'.
Then again...Eli is 0 threat to run ( maybe now he will though..lol) and his PA works great too........

AustinSkin
12-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I have never seen a Redskins QB sell the fake like RGIII. It's not only causing safeties to stop in their tracks to support the run, but I've lost count of the number of times he's faked out the camera crews. He is also getting much better at looking off receivers. He sold a deep route left against Philly, and connected on a deep route right.

krygny
12-01-2012, 02:16 PM
RG III is the real deal. The genuine article. This guy is no Michael Vick. He's better than Vick at everything. Bigger, faster, a better passer and smarter.

RG III represents the biggest threat to the Giants in the NFC East for the next 10-15 years. So much of a threat that the Giants will have to build a defensive scheme to counter that specific threat. And draft defensive players who can fit into that scheme.

The only saving grace is that he plays for the Washington Foreskins, which is still the most screwed up organization in the NFL after the NY Jets. So, there is that.

Dwinsballgames
12-01-2012, 02:25 PM
and so the annointing oil flows for another rookie. Good thing there is an unlimited supply with the way the media and some fans use it.

Rusty192
12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I have never seen a Redskins QB sell the fake like RGIII. It's not only causing safeties to stop in their tracks to support the run, but I've lost count of the number of times he's faked out the camera crews. He is also getting much better at looking off receivers. He sold a deep route left against Philly, and connected on a deep route right.lol I've see him fake to the side that the running back wasn't even on before. Not exaclty flawless, but yeah, when you can run like he does, plus the fact that they operate a very balanced offense, it makes his PA effective.

Rudyy
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
lol I've see him fake to the side that the running back wasn't even on before. Not exaclty flawless, but yeah, when you can run like he does, plus the fact that they operate a very balanced offense, it makes his PA effective.+1 a great run game like theirs makes play action extremely effective.

But if we can stop the run...

TheEnigma
12-01-2012, 02:48 PM
and so the annointing oil flows for another rookie. Good thing there is an unlimited supply with the way the media and some fans use it.

It's not really a Pro-RG3 article but the title does make it seem that way.

TheBookOfEli
12-01-2012, 02:57 PM
So how do you really stop RG3 to make him actually have a bad game? If you don't bite on the play action he doesn't find anyone open he can kill you with his legs. You bite on the play action and he'll burn you deep. I've lost count on how many times the redskin's receivers have been caught WIDE open.

RG3 is what Michael Vick was suppose to be. RG3 is also only going to get better which really has me worried, no lie.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 05:04 PM
So how do you really stop RG3 to make him actually have a bad game? If you don't bite on the play action he doesn't find anyone open he can kill you with his legs. You bite on the play action and he'll burn you deep. I've lost count on how many times the redskin's receivers have been caught WIDE open.

RG3 is what Michael Vick was suppose to be. RG3 is also only going to get better which really has me worried, no lie.
on passes w/o a PA fake, rg3 ypa is last in the league at 5.7. u stop the run, the pa isnt a threat. force rg3 into playing a pure qb w/o the ability to take off by maintaining gap integrity and edge containing him. thatd be how id approach it.

BlueBlooded1979
12-01-2012, 05:20 PM
RG III is the real deal. The genuine article. This guy is no Michael Vick. He's better than Vick at everything. Bigger, faster, a better passer and smarter.

RG III represents the biggest threat to the Giants in the NFC East for the next 10-15 years. So much of a threat that the Giants will have to build a defensive scheme to counter that specific threat. And draft defensive players who can fit into that scheme.

The only saving grace is that he plays for the Washington Foreskins, which is still the most screwed up organization in the NFL after the NY Jets. So, there is that.

Sorry, part of 1 season isn't going to convince me of anything. He has yet to beat a decent defense and he is beating the teams that he should. Last year the entire world was talking about how Newton was the king of the hill and would eventually break all records. Now he is playing bad enough to get his coach fired. Don't bye into the hype of a customized offensive playbook that nets early returns. NFL defenses catch up.

IMHO a guy like Luck or Tannehill that is playing with a real NFL offense, standing in the pocket and reading defenses, while taking his lumps, is going to have a better shot at being successful.

Toadofsteel
12-01-2012, 05:28 PM
The thing about RG3's play action is that he sells it so well. Most play action fakes have the QB just wave the ball in the RB's direction. RG3 freaking buries it in morris's gut before dropping back to pass.

Of course, that means any miscue would result in a fumble...

CowboysSuck
12-01-2012, 06:04 PM
if RGIII is so darn good, why are the redskins so bad?

You are what you're record says you are.

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 07:26 PM
RG3 has been great but what Andrew Luck is doing is impressing me a whole lot more.....

Rusty192
12-01-2012, 07:29 PM
RG3 has been great but what Andrew Luck is doing is impressing me a whole lot more.....True, got that wildcard all but locked up.

Giants5699
12-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Take away the run and take away his ability to run. Make him beat you with his arm.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 07:42 PM
RG3 has been great but what Andrew Luck is doing is impressing me a whole lot more.....
i agree. lucks running a pretty advanced offense for a veteran qb let alone a rookie.

TheEnigma
12-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Tannehill is probably the one rookie QB who doesn't get enough recognition. He was labeled a bust before and even more so once the Dolphins drafted him. I'd like to see him lead Miami over the Patriots for the division one day.

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
It's funny cause some people will call you a "hater" or "bias" if you just say you want to see some more NFL throws from RG3.

That's why I like Andrew Luck and think he will be better suited for the playoffs cause he is making tight window NFL throws that only a few qbs can do. He is also great in pre-snap reads. When the playoffs start and you are playing elite defense they take away your 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd option and you have to throw the receiver open. I just haven't seen that from RG3 yet. It's not a diss to him...There a reason why pistol option offense hasn't made it to the SB. I haven't seen RG3 make long to intermediate throws when the defense drops 7 in coverage. Luck does this on a consistent basis.

giantsfan420
12-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Tannehill is probably the one rookie QB who doesn't get enough recognition. He was labeled a bust before and even more so once the Dolphins drafted him. I'd like to see him lead Miami over the Patriots for the division one day.
dude well said. he doesnt get the props he deserves. hes done wonders at miami, they should be stoked. the argument could be made hes done more with less than maybe any qb in the league. think about the talent on that team...there aint much aside from the rb, they even wanna ditch their LT...its amazing what hes done and im pulling for him to be honest

Broadway Blue
12-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Funny how some Dolphins fans were going nuts when they drafted him

Tannehill has prove them wrong that is for sure

Tannehill over Sanchez anyday!

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Some Redskin fan was trying to tell me today on the mb that RG3's offense is just as hard as the one Eli had to learn. I was like wtf???

Rudyy
12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Some Redskin fan was trying to tell me today on the mb that RG3's offense is just as hard as the one Eli had to learn. I was like wtf???Redskins fans are some of the most delusional fans you will meet. They are right up there with Cowboy fans.

AustinSkin
12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
It's funny cause some people will call you a "hater" or "bias" if you just say you want to see some more NFL throws from RG3.

That's why I like Andrew Luck and think he will be better suited for the playoffs cause he is making tight window NFL throws that only a few qbs can do. He is also great in pre-snap reads. When the playoffs start and you are playing elite defense they take away your 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd option and you have to throw the receiver open. I just haven't seen that from RG3 yet. It's not a diss to him...There a reason why pistol option offense hasn't made it to the SB. I haven't seen RG3 make long to intermediate throws when the defense drops 7 in coverage. Luck does this on a consistent basis.

In fairness, RGIII is only executing what he is told to do. The number of passes he throws depends entirely on what is called.

Eliscruzzz
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
In fairness, RGIII is only executing what he is told to do. The number of passes he throws depends entirely on what is called.It's not a diss at all...from playing purely the quarterback position I just think Luck is that far ahead. He does what he is told and then some cause he played in a pro-style offense at Stanford.

BurnerNYG
12-02-2012, 02:42 AM
It's not a diss at all...from playing purely the quarterback position I just think Luck is that far ahead. He does what he is told and then some cause he played in a pro-style offense at Stanford.I don't know man... men lie, women lie but numbers don't and Griffin's stats looks better than Luck's. I'm a Luck fan but I'm just calling it how I see it. Football is a team sport and I see some mentioning Washington's record like they didn't have key injuries and also that it takes a few games for a new player especially a QB to actually gel with the team. The Colts are also in a weaker division playing a last place schedule. You know who gets lost in all this ROY talk? Russell Wilson... I need to take a look at his numbers.

Hessian
12-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Morris is a stud. RG3 isn't too bad either.

Hessian
12-02-2012, 02:44 AM
I don't know man... men lie, women lie but numbers don't and Griffin's stats looks better than Luck's. I'm a Luck fan but I'm just calling it how I see it. Football is a team sport and I see some mentioning Washington's record like they didn't have key injuries and also that it takes a few games for a new player especially a QB to actually gel with the team. The Colts are also in a weaker division playing a last place schedule. You know who gets lost in all this ROY talk? Russell Wilson... I need to take a look at his numbers.
Luck at 8-3 and with a worse team arguably.. cmon man.

BurnerNYG
12-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Luck at 8-3 and with a worse team arguably.. cmon man.The Colts aren't worse than the Skins. They still got a decent defensive line and receivers like Reggie Wayne making plays. They lost games on purpose last year so they can draft Luck. Go look and compare numbers, they don't lie. RG3 only has 4 ints to Luck's 12 I believe. His QB rating is tops in the league as well.

BurnerNYG
12-02-2012, 02:51 AM
The Colts are 7-4 and they got 2 horrible teams in their division.

Hessian
12-02-2012, 03:09 AM
My bad. I'm guessing we have 2-3 terribad teams in our division after Monday. we'll see.

Kerrigan91
12-02-2012, 12:55 PM
The hypocrisy is rampant here in giants land.

Everyone whines when people don't anoint Eli being elite, saying hes not consistent enough. When another QB comes along from any other team, they're automatically put down because they're playing a "college" offense. If its a college offense, then I expect them to score 0 points this week, especially with all that talent you have on defense, right?

What happens if the redskins score in the 20s or 30s again on the Giants? Either it means that this College offense isn't so simple to defend, or it might just be a bit more complex than a 1 read offense.

I've said before his plays come on play action, but its not as often the option as it is a simple play action drop back. I said this in the previous thread, people talked crap about the West Coast Offense quarterbacks for years, until they couldn't stop them year after year.

Andrew Luck has played great, they're two different QBs in two different systems and really have no reason to be compared other than by pundits on ESPN. To play devils advocate though, RG3 plays offense, it is not his fault that the defense hes relying on is a sieve. Luck has had much better performance by his teams defense vs RG3. It also helps to have his #1 WR the entire year. Griffin has had Garcon 2.5 games, and look at those games. I'm not here to bash other teams players by saying they don't run an offense I'd like to run, and I think Luck is playing quite well but put RG3 on the colts roster, and I'd guarantee he'd do as quite well.

The only team to really shut down the redskins offense was Pittsburgh, and 12 WR drops helps quite a bit. Thats with a genius back there too, who never allows rookies to get the best of him. Dallas was supposed to be a good pass defense, top 10 in just about every statistical category. What happened there, oh, i forgot they have only played him once. The second time it'll be a cake walk for them to stop him. I get that the redskins are a division rival, but its ridiculous how many hoops some people jump through to try to make sure to discount another teams players is hilarious. Especially when people here say how delusional other teams fans are. To me it sounds more like some of you are starting to realize who the threat to you in this division is in the very near future.

I hope for this boards sake, you shut Griffin and his elementary 1 read college style offense down, or it says something quite bad about your own team. It should be a cake walk, right?

giantsfan420
12-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Everyone whines when people don't anoint Eli being elite, saying hes not consistent enough. When another QB comes along from any other team, they're automatically put down because they're playing a "college" offense. If its a college offense, then I expect them to score 0 points this week, especially with all that talent you have on defense, right?

What happens if the redskins score in the 20s or 30s again on the Giants? Either it means that this College offense isn't so simple to defend, or it might just be a bit more complex than a 1 read offense.

I've said before his plays come on play action, but its not as often the option as it is a simple play action drop back. I said this in the previous thread, people talked crap about the West Coast Offense quarterbacks for years, until they couldn't stop them year after year.

Andrew Luck has played great, they're two different QBs in two different systems and really have no reason to be compared other than by pundits on ESPN. To play devils advocate though, RG3 plays offense, it is not his fault that the defense hes relying on is a sieve. Luck has had much better performance by his teams defense vs RG3. It also helps to have his #1 WR the entire year. Griffin has had Garcon 2.5 games, and look at those games. I'm not here to bash other teams players by saying they don't run an offense I'd like to run, and I think Luck is playing quite well but put RG3 on the colts roster, and I'd guarantee he'd do as quite well.

The only team to really shut down the redskins offense was Pittsburgh, and 12 WR drops helps quite a bit. Thats with a genius back there too, who never allows rookies to get the best of him. Dallas was supposed to be a good pass defense, top 10 in just about every statistical category. What happened there, oh, i forgot they have only played him once. The second time it'll be a cake walk for them to stop him. I get that the redskins are a division rival, but its ridiculous how many hoops some people jump through to try to make sure to discount another teams players is hilarious. Especially when people here say how delusional other teams fans are. To me it sounds more like some of you are starting to realize who the threat to you in this division is in the very near future.

I hope for this boards sake, you shut Griffin and his elementary 1 read college style offense down, or it says something quite bad about your own team. It should be a cake walk, right?
pls, rg3 is gonna be a beast and hes already awesome. that doesnt change the fact that u guys are basically running the same offense tebow ran last yr. rg3 can throw, thats the difference, that and occasionally u guys will use a pro style formation.

its just simple fact man that is accepted by anyone who knows the game. even shannahan admitted that u guys are using a lot of what rg3 ran at baylor. it IS a 1 read pistol spread option offense, that IS a college offense. dont u notice how no one else runs ur offense in the nfl, except the broncos last yr and that was with tebow, but in college, u have like a hundred teams running ur offense?

its just the truth. luck is running a pro offense. he is being relied to make the plays an nfl qb has to make. rg3 isnt doing that. and thats not necessarily a bad thing. shannahan just put together the best offense he could that would help rg3 use his excellent athleticism and skill set while he matures into a more nfl ready offense.

i can appreciate ur passion for rg3, that doesnt mean u get to dismiss reality....i was thinking about that tho with tebow. i bet tebow could run ur offense in a week, he just wouldnt be as good as a passer or runner...denver did a lot of those quick tempo swing pass to the wr out of the spread option, did a lot of the option read running game, and had that PA deep staple...thats just the truth man

Harooni
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
I watched a few skins games this year and ill say his PA looked a bit clumsy with the rb nearly running into him a few times. I guess it works because of his rushing threat. but this guy is a passer also. a true 2 threat qb. not like vick.

CTLadyBlue
12-02-2012, 02:21 PM
While I have complete respect of RGIII as a potential threat which we'll have to contend with for years to come, after a while, all of the gimmick plays, play action, selling the run vs. the pass, etc. will eventually be exposed over time to which opposing defenses will be able to read, break apart and defend - unless the Redskins OC came conjure up new and inventive plays every season to outsmart them.

As a long time Giants fan, RGIII is NOT the first scrambling-QB threat we've encountered, nor the first potent offense we've had to face. Anyone remember the Randall Cunningham era can vouch for that. Granted, he was NOT the complete athlete RGIII is, but the guy always gave us fits - not to mention he was bigger than RGIII (height and build) and was hard to take down. And let us not forget the 1990 Bills and that explosive, no-huddle offense to which we limited to a mere 19 points in SB 25 - thus earning Bill Belechick's defensive plan for that game a spot in the HOF.

Fewell & Co. needs something very aggressive and potent for tomorrow night. Guys need to be rotated to keep them fresh because RGIII mobility can wear out the defense. Bottom line - yes, they are a concern, but they are not unbeatable. We've beaten them once this season and it can be done again. The recipe is always a perfectly executed game, hard hitting, consistent pass rush, no turnovers or stupid penalties.

Rusty192
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't know man... men lie, women lie but numbers don't and Griffin's stats looks better than Luck's. I'm a Luck fan but I'm just calling it how I see it. Football is a team sport and I see some mentioning Washington's record like they didn't have key injuries and also that it takes a few games for a new player especially a QB to actually gel with the team. The Colts are also in a weaker division playing a last place schedule. You know who gets lost in all this ROY talk? Russell Wilson... I need to take a look at his numbers.It's official. Luck is better. Sickest comeback ever!

Eliscruzzz
12-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't know man... men lie, women lie but numbers don't and Griffin's stats looks better than Luck's. I'm a Luck fan but I'm just calling it how I see it. Football is a team sport and I see some mentioning Washington's record like they didn't have key injuries and also that it takes a few games for a new player especially a QB to actually gel with the team. The Colts are also in a weaker division playing a last place schedule. You know who gets lost in all this ROY talk? Russell Wilson... I need to take a look at his numbers.To me stats don't tell the whole story but hey did you see what Luck did today??? That was impressive...

Eliscruzzz
12-02-2012, 04:44 PM

I hope for this boards sake, you shut Griffin and his elementary 1 read college style offense down, or it says something quite bad about your own team. It should be a cake walk, right?What do you want us to say that RG3 is better to make you feel better ok he's better then Luck but that simply is not the truth....sorry. Luck has an 8-4 record just as many rushing TD and 17 td's passing the ints.are that great but he is making and trying risky NFL throws with a ton of people in coverage. He is better suited to make a big play with his arm then RG3 is. Sounds like your the one crying my friend. If RG3 wins on Monday night is still won't change the fact that he is still running a college offense.

You need to relax dude no one said it was terrible what RG3 is doing.