PDA

View Full Version : do we need a new RB?

deekay7685
12-22-2011, 12:09 AM
i love Bradshaw and he's still good. his feet has been a problem and cannot stay healthy.
Jacobs is an underachiever and his skills have diminished. he is not well liked and not as tough as he should be.
the only RB i love in the 1st round is Richardson but he's unlikely to be there for us.
LMiller has excellent size and speed but is not a willing blocker.
the top free agent RBa are RRice (Rutgers; New Rochelle product), Forte (out w/ a MCL injury) and MLynch (ok).
I'd love to get Rice but i doubt Baltimore will let him leave.
The money we could save by letting Bradshaw and Jacobs go could be spend on Rice. That's a pipe dream.
I think we'll draft a big back in the 3-4 rounds to replace Jacobs but i have no confidence Bradshaw can be reliable to stay on the field. his days in the NFL are numbered.
what should/ can we do?

Spizi
12-22-2011, 12:25 AM
yes. /thread

myles2424
12-22-2011, 03:15 AM
We definetly need another RB.....Bradshaw can't stay healthy & even if he took a pay cut Jacobs will not be around much longer....ware can easily be upgraded....& IMO Scott is one dimensional ( based on his play at Maryland)....
But drafting one in the 1st round would be nuts, he's going to do nothing but sit the bench as a rookie....I'm all for in the 2nd-4th range.....forget about miller & Richardson.....do your homework on Chris Polk,Montee ball,Doug Martin ect...

BlueSanta
12-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Im not saying it is our primary need. However,if I had to bet my money on 1 position that we will absolutely select at some point in the draft, it would be RB. Its a need, its a position that can contribute on special teams, its a young mans position and is therefor better filled by draft rather than free agency, and lastly our current backs have durability issues.

But, what do I know. I woulda bet we draft a TE somewhere in last year's draft.

Raptor22
12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Do they need a new RB? Ehh... I think that given a better O-line, the RB's would be producing near the top of the league. Bradshaw needs to stay healthy, but I think a more even split (with Scott taking some carries), would help with that.

They REALLY need to learn that Bradshaw cannot handle more than 15 carries a game.

It wouldn't surprise me if they drafted one.

There's a bunch of good RB's coming out this year, and that's not counting Richardson.

The odds are pretty good that a RB is going to be the best player on the board when the Giants pick at some point in the draft.

tonyt830
12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
In no particular order, I would not mind hearing the Giants call the names of Montee Ball, Chris Polk, Bernard Pierce or Doug Martin somewhere in the draft. </P>

</P>

But I also agree with that we should upgrade our O-line. I great O-line can make a good back look great.</P>

RagTime Blue
12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes. We need a productive back that we can rely on week-in, week-out.

An upgrade at interior line wouldn't hurt either, but we desperately need a RB.

deekay7685
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
i have looked at Polk, Ball and Martin.

Polk is very underrated and does everything well. the knock on him he's had two shoulder surgeries.
Ball was an unkown prior to this season. he runs behind an enormous OL and possibly the best in the nation. is he that good or a product of the syystem?
Martin is exciting and has no health issues. can carry and catch. one major isssue is that he is a poor blocker.

myles2424
12-22-2011, 02:19 PM
i have looked at Polk, Ball and Martin.

Polk is very underrated and does everything well. the knock on him he's had two shoulder surgeries.
Ball was an unkown prior to this season. he runs behind an enormous OL and possibly the best in the nation. is he that good or a product of the syystem?
Martin is exciting and has no health issues. can carry and catch. one major isssue is that he is a poor blocker. I've thought the same about Ball.....Martin seems like a guy that can make it happen on his own,but with a great Oline he can be as good as he wants to be......his blocking can always be worked on, plenty of rbs come into the league with the same problem..

Morehead State
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
i love Bradshaw and he's still good. his feet has been a problem and cannot stay healthy. Jacobs is an underachiever and his skills have diminished. he is not well liked and not as tough as he should be. the only RB i love in the 1st round is Richardson but he's unlikely to be there for us. LMiller has excellent size and speed but is not a willing blocker. the top free agent RBa are RRice (Rutgers; New Rochelle product), Forte (out w/ a MCL injury) and MLynch (ok). I'd love to get Rice but i doubt Baltimore will let him leave. The money we could save by letting Bradshaw and Jacobs go could be spend on Rice. That's a pipe dream. I think we'll draft a big back in the 3-4 rounds to replace Jacobs but i have no confidence Bradshaw can be reliable to stay on the field. his days in the NFL are numbered. what should/ can we do?</P>

BJ...an underachiever????</P>

4th round pick from Southern Illinois and now 4th all time Giant in rushing and 1st all time in rushing TD's.</P>

How would you consider him an underachiever?</P>

RoanokeFan
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
i love Bradshaw and he's still good. his feet has been a problem and cannot stay healthy.
Jacobs is an underachiever and his skills have diminished. he is not well liked and not as tough as he should be.
the only RB i love in the 1st round is Richardson but he's unlikely to be there for us.
LMiller has excellent size and speed but is not a willing blocker.
the top free agent RBa are RRice (Rutgers; New Rochelle product), Forte (out w/ a MCL injury) and MLynch (ok).
I'd love to get Rice but i doubt Baltimore will let him leave.
The money we could save by letting Bradshaw and Jacobs go could be spend on Rice. That's a pipe dream.
I think we'll draft a big back in the 3-4 rounds to replace Jacobs but i have no confidence Bradshaw can be reliable to stay on the field. his days in the NFL are numbered.
what should/ can we do?

Bradshaw and Jacobs do need to be replaced. I have to take issue with your characterization of Jacobs being an underachiever. He's the 4th all time rusher and that put him in some elite company.

Yes, he tends to rub some fans the wrong way with his rhetoric from time to time but he is a true GIANT. We fans tend to look at the here and now to make our judgments about players, forgetting their past performance. You have to look at the entire body of work and I think he has done well for the GIANTS.

Fact is they both are in need of replacing. Bradshaw's ankles and feet continue to be a problem and Jacobs is in the twilight of his career.

nygfan0816
12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
yea, i like both bradshaw and BJ but bradshaw has some injury issues and u never know what BJ u get, the tough motivated BJ we have seen the past few weeks or the crybaby who whines and doesn't run hard, and he may not even be here next year.

we should draft a strong power back in the 3rd or 4th

idk any FA we can look at. maybe peyton hillis? im probably alone on this but id give him say 2 yr deal, it would take the load off bradshaw a bit since i think hillis is a better back then BJ at this point. good in short yds and might do better with a change of scenery.

deekay7685
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
re: BJ "underachieving"
yeah i wrong to say that but imo with his size, strength and speed he should have been a more productive.
he was a mid round pick because he transfered to a small school after being low on the depth chart qat auburn.
yes, BJ was good but i thought he could have been better. underachiever was a mischaracterization on my part but not completely.