PDA

View Full Version : RGIII and Giants' Rookie David Wilson, Two Former Track Stars, Meet at FedEx Field

RoanokeFan
12-03-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...nd_giants.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/robert_griffin_iii_and_giants.html)

Excerpt: "A bit of pride peeks through as David Wilson shares that, on the practice field, some of his Giants teammates have told him how fast he is. The rookie running back wants nothing more than to display that to a national audience tonight.

“That would be ideal,” Wilson said. “Since that’s what everybody talks about with me, breaking off some big plays, being explosive, things that I like to do when I’m on the field.”

On the opposite sideline at FedEx Field will be a man the nation already knows is quite fast: Robert Griffin III, the Redskins’ rookie quarterback whose arrival instantly changed his team’s playoff hopes.

Griffin is seizing his opportunity while Wilson is hoping his comes tonight, but the young players share something beyond being first-round draft picks this past spring: Both were also budding track and field stars before putting those talents aside to pursue professional football careers.

Their college track and field coaches believe Wilson and Griffin had the potential to blossom into Olympians — Wilson in the triple jump, and Griffin in the 400-meter hurdles — had they committed themselves to the sport full-time.

They are instead focused on finding success in their NFL careers, armed with an athletic freakishness that can stand out among the other 21 men on the football field — already a regularity in Griffin’s case, and an expectation for Wilson, who should play a bigger role on offense today with Andre Brown placed on short-term injured reserve with a fractured fibula.

Wilson is confident he’s faster than Griffin: “I think I could get him in a race,” said Wilson, whose 40-yard dash time of 4.49 seconds at the NFL Combine was slower than Griffin’s 4.41, but he says he once ran 4.28 at Virginia Tech. Either way, one wrinkle in tonight’s matchup is how the players’ one-time prowess on the track transfers to their sport of choice.

“We’ve seen people hurdle somebody on the field, so there you go, that’s one event in track,” Wilson said. “Seeing Andre (Brown) dive over the pile a couple times, that’s similar to high jump. All these things go hand in hand, you’d be surprised how much. Because track is a pure test of athleticism.” world-class talent Wilson’s track and field coach at Virginia Tech, Charles Foster, boasts that Wilson was a college All-American in track and field before he was named one in football. Both honors came in 2011, the first in the spring, when Wilson placed sixth in the triple jump at the NCAA Championships." Read more...

Toadofsteel
12-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I still want to see a JPP vs Wilson backflip contest LOL

TheShouldersOf
12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
When Wilson is allowed to be fully unleashed, it's a scary thing

GameTime
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
well....I hope we get to see some of that tonight from Wilson and not so much from RG.....

TheAnalyst
12-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Wilson was clocked at 4.49? He is not as fast as I thought...wow.

BillTheGreek
12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
I know RGlll will be running his *** off ..........STOP him, and we WIN the game !

If Wilson gets to play RB, he will show Tom C. what he can do! I can't wait, I have been waiting all season for this day !

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/000/575/261/hi-res-153839877_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=481&q=85

GiantsCentral
12-03-2012, 06:02 PM
“Since that’s what everybody talks about with me, breaking off some big plays, being explosive, things that I like to do when I’m on the field,” Wilson said.
No David, since that's all YOU talk about. He should try to stay out of the papers off the field... make statements to the media through his play instead of with his mouth.

bigblue2088
12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
No David, since that's all YOU talk about. He should try to stay out of the papers off the field... make statements to the media through his play instead of with his mouth.whaa?? :/ dude all people talk about is his ability for flashy plays and speed