PDA

View Full Version : A Great Giants Era

Kruunch
12-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I remember once listening to an interview with Wellington Mara in the early 90s who was discussing his hopes and direction for the Giants. He said "I want the Giants to be relevant in December". This wouldn't be a popular quote today, but at the time and in the way it was meant, was that he always wanted to be one of the handful of teams that are jockeying for position and seed in the coming playoffs.

He would have loved this team.

Cherish these times ... it's a great era to be a Giants fan :D

gumby74
12-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I remember once listening to an interview with Wellington Mara in the early 90s who was discussing his hopes and direction for the Giants. He said "I want the Giants to be relevant in December". This wouldn't be a popular quote today, but at the time and in the way it was meant, was that he always wanted to be one of the handful of teams that are jockeying for position and seed in the coming playoffs.

He would have loved this team.

Cherish these times ... it's a great era to be a Giants fan :D

In this day and age, that's all you can ask for and it's all GM's strive to do. Home field advantage these days doesn't mean a whole lot.

Toadofsteel
12-03-2012, 08:29 AM
It's too bad he died before getting to see Eli outplay the "best QB in the NFL"... twice.

Kruunch
12-03-2012, 08:39 AM
It's too bad he died before getting to see Eli outplay the "best QB in the NFL"... twice.

+1

Rudyy
12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
It's too bad he died before getting to see Eli outplay the "best QB in the NFL"... twice.You can say three times counting the regular season game last year.

Drez
12-03-2012, 09:22 AM
In this day and age, that's all you can ask for and it's all GM's strive to do. Home field advantage these days doesn't mean a whole lot.
Very true. However, this season (prior to yesterday's games) has seen the best home field advantage in years... At ~54% win percentage, lol.

TheAnalyst
12-03-2012, 09:33 AM

For the Giants. Ask a Seahawks or Falcons fan about that.

Kruunch
12-03-2012, 09:49 AM
For the Giants. Ask a Seahawks or Falcons fan about that.

Didn't matter much for the Falcons a couple of years ago. Just ask the Packers :D

Medisleman
12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Don't worry, Mrs Mara is certainly enjoying all of this. Oh, and Wellington is watching over us, don't you worry. Everytime I see a catch like Manningham's or Tyree's, that might be Wellington smiling on the GMEN!!!!

ebick
12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Don't worry, Mrs Mara is certainly enjoying all of this. Oh, and Wellington is watching over us, don't you worry. Everytime I see a catch like Manningham's or Tyree's, that might be Wellington smiling on the GMEN!!!!

This.....I was going to say....He saw it.

bklyn1028
12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
brings a tear to my eye

Toadofsteel
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Very true. However, this season (prior to yesterday's games) has seen the best home field advantage in years... At ~54% win percentage, lol.

The thing is, in football, HFA only affects which team the crowd is largely going to pull for. It's not like in baseball where there's a concrete advantage (if the home team is ahead in the 9th inning they automatically win). Now if the coin toss rule was changed so that the home team was just given the choice to receive or defer at kickoff (except for OT of course), then HFA would be something.

ebick
12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
It's not like in baseball where there's a concrete advantage (if the home team is ahead in the 9th inning they automatically win)

How does that make a concrete advantage? That is the case because in baseball you can't score on defense. If the home team is winning after the visiting team has had its 9 chances then the 9th chance for the home team is simply not necessary. That's like saying they should play 5th, 6th, & 7th games in a 7 game series even if one team won the first 4.

ashleymarie
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM

Mr. Wellington Mara loved the Giants too much not to take a peek once in awhile.

Toadofsteel
12-03-2012, 05:02 PM
How does that make a concrete advantage? That is the case because in baseball you can't score on defense. If the home team is winning after the visiting team has had its 9 chances then the 9th chance for the home team is simply not necessary. That's like saying they should play 5th, 6th, & 7th games in a 7 game series even if one team won the first 4.

You have to look at it from a defender's perspective. If the visiting team gains a lead in the 9th inning, they have to hold on to it for the home team's 9th try. If the home team gains a lead in the 9th, they automatically win. Also, in extra innings, the same deal happens in that the home team merely has to gain a lead while the visiting team has to gain a lead and then defend it. So it's sudden death from the 9th inning onward for one side, but not the other. Away team always has to play through the inning.

Drez
12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
The thing is, in football, HFA only affects which team the crowd is largely going to pull for. It's not like in baseball where there's a concrete advantage (if the home team is ahead in the 9th inning they automatically win). Now if the coin toss rule was changed so that the home team was just given the choice to receive or defer at kickoff (except for OT of course), then HFA would be something.

I was, in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way, just supporting Gumby's point that there isn't a huge advantage to having home field. Even in the season where HFA has been the highest in recent years, it's just a notch over .500, which hardly constitutes a true and tangible advantage.

Now sure, there are some places that have greater advantages than others (Seattle is one such example already cited), but HFA, league-wide, isn't as great an advantage as many make it seem.

ebick
12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
You have to look at it from a defender's perspective. If the visiting team gains a lead in the 9th inning, they have to hold on to it for the home team's 9th try. If the home team gains a lead in the 9th, they automatically win. Also, in extra innings, the same deal happens in that the home team merely has to gain a lead while the visiting team has to gain a lead and then defend it. So it's sudden death from the 9th inning onward for one side, but not the other. Away team always has to play through the inning.

It's simply the difference between a game that is based on time vs a game that is based on opportunities. The home team in baseball must always defend through the away team's 9 opportunities. The away team may not have to defend through the home team's 9th opportunity if the home team can win without it. It's like bowling. You get 10 frames to get as many pins as you can, regardless of what I do. If I have more pins after 7 frames then you have after 10, I can get 0's for the rest of my frames.