PDA

View Full Version : Are you a "we" or "they" fan?

BlueJayC
12-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Got into a discussion with my friend and sister the other week.....three of us are season ticket holders together.....we were talking about being a "WE" fan versus a "THEY" fan.</P>

My friend and I are "they" fans....meaning when we discuss the Giants.....we use terms like "they got to do this" or "they got their a**es kicked" or "they got no D." I've always had a problem saying "we" because I don't play for the Giants....nor am I officially associated with the organization.</P>

My sister isthe "we" fan variety.....meaning she says "we gotta get it together" or "we su**ed today"or "we need a new head coach." Her stance is as a season ticket holder or fan in general it gives you the right to claim a "we" association.</P>

It's a dumb question but funnyto think about because since we started discussing it the other week I've noticedcertain guys on the board and at the games areeither strictly"we" or "they".....guysthere's no real in between. Next time you talk to a fan or see a post you'll get a chuckle out of finding out who the "we" and "they" fans are. Which one are you?</P>

Drez
12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Got into a discussion with my friend and sister the other week.....three of us are season ticket holders together.....we were talking about being a "WE" fan versus a "THEY" fan.</P>

My friend and I are "they" fans....meaning when we discuss the Giants.....we use terms like "they got to do this" or "they got their a**es kicked" or "they got no D." I've always had a problem saying "we" because I don't play for the Giants....nor am I officially associated with the organization.</P>

My sister isthe "we" fan variety.....meaning she says "we gotta get it together" or "we su**ed today"or "we need a new head coach." Her stance is as a season ticket holder or fan in general it gives you the right to claim a "we" association.</P>

It's a dumb question but funnyto think about because since we started discussing it the other week I've noticedcertain guys on the board and at the games areeither strictly"we" or "they".....guysthere's no real in between. Next time you talk to a fan or see a post you'll get a chuckle out of finding out who the "we" and "they" fans are. Which one are you?</P>

</P>

I'm a we fan. I get the "they" argument of we're not actually part of the team... But, here's the way I look at it: I have a longer and stronger emotional (and to a certain degree) financial investment in the Giants than anyone on the team. To me, that entitles me to say, "we."</P>

I have a Packers fan friend that is a, "they," person, though. He found a great way to circumvent the issue and become a, "we," person. He bought a share during the recent stock offering. Since he is now a shareholder, he's technically part owner of the Packers, so he can now claim with no pretension that, "We won the game," or, "We lost to the Chiefs."</P>

GiantWarfare
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
lol I'm more "we" than "they" but I use both tbh...really depends...

giantsfan420
12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
we implies possession where as they impies outside of possession.

im a we fan. and i think being a life long fan and owner of giants gear and just general die hard, i can say we especially bc the giants are the team i bleed blue for.

also it makes more sense to say we because when i talk football, i refer to thegiants in the we form simply bc when i refer to opponents or other teams i refer to them as they.
ex. giants vs cowboys
they really sucked today when we threw it all over them

ihave thought about this topic as awell and it is comical but i dont think theres anything wrong with a person expressing whatever they want to in relation to the team the root for and support

JMGGIANTS
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I use both forms with no cognizant thinking of what form I am going to use beforehand.

rainierjef
12-22-2011, 05:46 PM
when they play horribly im pissed ofr the whole week in grades im extremely pissed monday and it dies down by thursday / friday. so im a we fan cause i feel it when they do bad or when they do good and i'm constantly defending the team against other fans, friends etc. so i feel like an un paid PR rep

gmen46
12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Everybody knows it's "we" when the Giants play well, and it's "they" when "they" play poorly.

Come on, man!

There's been a lot of "they" fans here in the past 6 weeks. :)

gmen46
12-22-2011, 05:49 PM
when they play horribly im pissed ofr the whole week in grades im extremely pissed monday and it dies down by thursday / friday. so im a we fan cause i feel it when they do bad or when they do good and i'm constantly defending the team against other fans, friends etc. so i feel like an un paid PR rep

Amen, I hear that. Same here.

bigbluegmenfan
12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
As a season ticket holder, someone who has been to numerous Road games, and throws away money on Giants "stuff" year in and year out..Im a "WE" fan. I takethe NY Football Giants way too seriously::)) Hoping "They" dont ruin my Christmas.</P>

Happy Holidays!</P>

</P>

BurnerNYG
12-22-2011, 06:34 PM
When people who knows me well see me in the streets, the Giants eventually comes up in the conversation. In other words, when they see me, they think Giants so I'm definitely a "WE" fan!

scf424
12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Interchangeable. I try to say "they", but I can't help saying "we" sometimes.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
12-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I say "we" and I can't stand people who say "you're not on the team". We're the 12th man, without the fans, there would BE NO NFL.

BigBluePoint
12-22-2011, 06:54 PM
"We" fan here. Don't play for the Giants. But I live and die with them. We're good. We stink. We got to win this one. It's the way I always referred to "my" team.

NYfanatic
12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I can say I am both. I do say they and we from time to time. I say I am allowed to use We since I have bought merchandise from the team and have supplied some of the players contracts. but then again I have bought other teams merchandise but the Major majority is the Giants, Yankees and Knicks. I do use They mainly when they suck or embarrassing. 2009-11 Giants, Knicks 2000's.
Today the Yanks and Knicks are we since they are good. Giants nope...

XxBigWhitxX
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Everybody knows it's "we" when the Giants play well, and it's "they" when "they" play poorly.

Come on, man!

+1 pretty much says it all.

gmen46
12-22-2011, 07:17 PM

My sister is*the "we" fan variety.....meaning she says "we gotta get it together" or "we su**ed today"*or "we need a new head coach." Her stance is as a season ticket holder or fan in general it gives you the right to claim a "we" association.</P>

It's a dumb question but funny*to think about because since we started discussing it the other week I've noticed*certain guys on the board and at the games are*either strictly*"we" or "they".....guys*there's no real in between. Next time you talk to a fan or see a post you'll get a chuckle out of finding out who the "we" and "they" fans are. Which one are you?</P>

I believe you and your friend suffer from "we-ness" envy.

You question is a nice fun one, provoking interesting responses. But as you can now see, after only a few responses, there definitely IS an "in between" on this issue, and that it's incorrect to assume every one is just one or the other, no?

NYG4lifeNYK
12-22-2011, 07:21 PM
I leave breathe, eat, **** &amp; sleep NY Giants Football. I invest everything into these games as much as the players do, as many fans do.

We are entitled to say we because we are as much apart of the team as the players in my opinion. Without fans there are no NY Giants. I always say we, always have, always will.

daynemustgo
12-22-2011, 08:16 PM
unless you're an employee of the NY GIANTS...it's they and not we.

P_Simms_#11
12-22-2011, 08:20 PM
I say "they", "the Giants" or "Big Blue". I hate "G-Men", especially when Chris Berman says it.

miked1958
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Pretty sure I use WE when talking about gmen or posting. My son and two daughters are also WE fans

gfd_2
12-22-2011, 08:40 PM
"we" as in the 12th man since 1972 which is why I get so wound up when WE play down to the level of our opponent.

TheEnigma
12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
I use both forms with no cognizant thinking of what form I am going to use beforehand.Pretty much this for myself.

gfanblue
12-22-2011, 09:09 PM
I am they fan. I do not draw a check from the team. Been a fan for 20+ yrs. Rarely am I a 'we' fan, unless someone is trash talkin. Usually after a hard loss and someon says, "man YOU guys suck" implying I played in that loss or somethin, then I'm like " I'm a fan, not a player"

ru_gmen55
12-22-2011, 09:11 PM
I generally am a "they" fan, but every once i na while I'll let a "we" slip through. I don't mind "we" fans as much as some other people, but I prefer to use terms such as "they". They way I say it, until I am wearing a uniform and pads, I'm not a New York Giant. Just a strong supporter.

A funny sidenote, my uncle has a theory that people known to use both terms tend to use "we" when the team is doing well and "they" when the team is doing poorly...haha.

fourth&forever
12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
How many say "we lost" or "we suck"? I'm in this group. Perhaps in an effort to 'share' the pain.

Ruttiger711
12-22-2011, 09:25 PM
"we" comes out as naturally talking about the giants just as "they" does talking about any other team, but I use both.

NYG216
12-22-2011, 10:02 PM
I say "we" when talking to another Giants fan... and "they" when talking to some lesser being.

Antwuan
12-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I use "We" more.

When a person says "We" it kinda shows how loyal a person is in a good way. I remember a time I said "We" when talking about my favorite NBA team (Suns). The person (which was a woman) said you are not on the team and you don't see them practice every day, that pissed me off (I took that with a grain of salt) because if you are that loyal you would have no problem with saying "We". I just don't see anything wrong with a fan saying "We" because the fans are a big part of the team.

Drusyc
12-23-2011, 12:38 AM
It's 'we' for me. We're all Giants, eff that. Without us, there is no them.

Do you say "their defense is trash" when referring to the giants? no... its OUR defense that is trash...

GameTime
12-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Some fans use the term "we" like they actually havean influence on the outcome of a game or take responsibility for the state of the team. </P>

I love the Giants and hurt huge after a loss and am on a high when they win. With a win like the SB in 07 I was euphoric!! Last year a little of me died when they blew the Eagles game. But I know I have 0 influence on the outcome of a game. As a cheering fan at the stadium you have some input on the but over not much.</P>

With that said I used the term "we" very rarely andI am aware of when I use it and when I dont. </P>

Weygand
12-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Excellent thread man. That has always been a sort of unmentioned partition.

I am a "They" out of deference to the actual guys on the roster, and while I occasionally have a breakdown I conscientiously avoid using the familiar "we"; especially here on the MB. However, I don't assign any sort of praise or scorn to the use of either.

Very interesting thread...you should keep a tally who identifies with which.

G-Men Surg.
12-23-2011, 02:04 AM

Same here .

GCGiant
12-23-2011, 03:41 AM
I am pretty sure that if you asked the front office they would consider the fans as part of the organization. We are the ones that they work so hard to please...us and our money. Without the fans, they got nothing.

gmen0820
12-23-2011, 03:44 AM
I am pretty sure that if you asked the front office they would consider the fans as part of the organization. We are the ones that they work so hard to please...us and our money. Without the fans, they got nothing.If you asked publicly they would. Behind closed doors they probably laugh at us while they count the money you spend on anything GMEN related.

GCGiant
12-23-2011, 05:21 AM
I am pretty sure that if you asked the front office they would consider the fans as part of the organization. We are the ones that they work so hard to please...us and our money. Without the fans, they got nothing.If you asked publicly they would. Behind closed doors they probably laugh at us while they count the money you spend on anything GMEN related.

Yes...they probably do...but how much would they be laughing if we stopped buying anything associated with them?

I've posted on this topic before. Oh, how I wish there was some way to organize the fans. A fan union. Sounds stupid...but believe me...if there were some way to solidify the fans, we would control everything. Don't like the new rule...KO from the 35, as an example? We just make them change it back!

zigwontdieNYG
12-23-2011, 05:56 AM
people try to rip on me for saying we when referring to my team. i laugh

zigwontdieNYG
12-23-2011, 05:56 AM
people try to rip on me for saying we when referring to my team. i laugh everytime

Tony Bruno
12-23-2011, 08:40 AM
"We" for me... I see someone that likes the Giants aI always say "we gotta big game this weekend" or "we gotta win this one"...

I love my NY Giants with all my heart...

MattMeyerBud
12-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Got into a discussion with my friend and sister the other week.....three of us are season ticket holders together.....we were talking about being a "WE" fan versus a "THEY" fan.</p>

My friend and I are "they" fans....meaning when we discuss the Giants.....we use terms like "they got to do this" or "they got their a**es kicked" or "they got no D." I've always had a problem saying "we" because I don't play for the Giants....nor am I officially associated with the organization.</p>

My sister isthe "we" fan variety.....meaning she says "we gotta get it together" or "we su**ed today"or "we need a new head coach." Her stance is as a season ticket holder or fan in general it gives you the right to claim a "we" association.</p>

It's a dumb question but funnyto think about because since we started discussing it the other week I've noticedcertain guys on the board and at the games areeither strictly"we" or "they".....guysthere's no real in between. Next time you talk to a fan or see a post you'll get a chuckle out of finding out who the "we" and "they" fans are. Which one are you?</p>

def a we fan

my boss always breaks my balls and says "WHAT DO U PLAY FO RTHEM"

SweetZombieJesus
12-23-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm a "we" fan. Definitely way too much invested in the game and long-term being a fan through good and bad times. Losses hang on me like playing a bad game of chess.

I may not be a player; I'm not in the military either but I consider it "us" not "them".

I'm pretty sure Aldus Huxley made a prediction about this around 100 years ago regarding an appeal to the tribal mentality through sports. He was certainly right with European soccer fans and to a lesser degree the NFL. It's purely tribal appeal -- "us" vs "them", defending home field, the colors and logos used to bond us all together the way a flag does. Heck the game of football is all about taking field position from the other guy and defending it on the other side of the ball. The game itself ticks a lot of the cave man buttons.

blueomaha
12-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I say "we" more than "they"...some days, I'm a walking billboard for the NYG...you can't beat free advertisement in business...I'm commited to the NYG for life....

BlueJayC
12-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Excellent thread man. That has always been a sort of unmentioned partition. I am a "They" out of deference to the actual guys on the roster, and while I occasionally have a breakdown I conscientiously avoid using the familiar "we"; especially here on the MB. However, I don't assign any sort of praise or scorn to the use of either. Very interesting thread...you should keep a tally who identifies with which.</P>

Oh I'm making a listand will call everyone out on it.....nah just kidding.....thought the question would lighten the mood in here......very dark and gloomy as of late.</P>

I try to make a consious effort to say "they/them/the Giants" but obviously everyone has their own preferences and no one is right or wrong....I like the home field 12th man analysis.....makes a strong argumentagainst those haters who call "we" fans out.....</P>

One thing is for certain "WE" all are pulling for Big Blue tomorrow.</P>

Tenspro2002
12-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I can't remember the last time I said "they" to refer to a team I truly cared about. I have been a "we" guy for as long as I can remember.

As I start following a team more (e.g. UConn football), I will transition from "they" to "we".

But there comes a point at which my fanhood of that particular team becomes such a significant part of my identity that I feel like I am a representative of the team.

burier
12-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm a We fan I've actually gotten **** for it but its fine.

I'm a we fan because like someone else said, there's an emotional a financial investment that goes beyond even what the players can match in the age of free agency.

I'm a we fan because I suffer the loses like I'm a part of a team. As irrational as it may sound after we lose I consider what I could have done better as a fan to help us win. (Worn a different jersy, ate different food, watched the game with different people. Watched the game alone. Watched the game from a different seated location. Watched the game a different location all together.)

Also when the Giants lose I'd feel like a phony saying "They lost" . I'm sure I've said that before in mixed company but I always mean "We lost"

We win together. We die together.

yoeddy
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM

My sister is*the "we" fan variety.....meaning she says "we gotta get it together" or "we su**ed today"*or "we need a new head coach." Her stance is as a season ticket holder or fan in general it gives you the right to claim a "we" association.</P>

It's a dumb question but funny*to think about because since we started discussing it the other week I've noticed*certain guys on the board and at the games are*either strictly*"we" or "they".....guys*there's no real in between. Next time you talk to a fan or see a post you'll get a chuckle out of finding out who the "we" and "they" fans are. Which one are you?</P>

I'm a "we" fan, but got blasted once on a message board for saying "we", because apparently I don't suit up on Sundays to play...so on message boards, I tend to use "they"...

burier
12-23-2011, 10:50 AM

I promise you're wrong.

Maybe some other organizations but not the Giants.

Kase-1
12-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Im a "WE" fan

I feel like us fans live and die with this team more so than alot of players and coaches that come through our organization. Some of them are dedicated Giants for life and some of them use our organization as a turnstile towards getting money, fame, whatever.

Its us as fans that remain the consistent in our organization, so for that reason I believe that the fanbase is part of the organization

Kase-1
12-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Got into a discussion with my friend and sister the other week.....three of us are season ticket holders together.....we were talking about being a "WE" fan versus a "THEY" fan.</p>

My friend and I are "they" fans....meaning when we discuss the Giants.....we use terms like "they got to do this" or "they got their a**es kicked" or "they got no D." I've always had a problem saying "we" because I don't play for the Giants....nor am I officially associated with the organization.</p>

My sister isthe "we" fan variety.....meaning she says "we gotta get it together" or "we su**ed today"or "we need a new head coach." Her stance is as a season ticket holder or fan in general it gives you the right to claim a "we" association.</p>

It's a dumb question but funnyto think about because since we started discussing it the other week I've noticedcertain guys on the board and at the games areeither strictly"we" or "they".....guysthere's no real in between. Next time you talk to a fan or see a post you'll get a chuckle out of finding out who the "we" and "they" fans are. Which one are you?</p>

def a we fan

my boss always breaks my balls and says "WHAT DO U PLAY FO RTHEM"
Thats when you say 'YEA IM THE 12TH MAN, LIFETIME CONTRACT!!!!'

gmen46
12-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm a "we" fan.* Definitely way too much invested in the game and long-term being a fan through good and bad times.* Losses hang on me like playing a bad game of chess.

I may not be a player; I'm not in the military either but I consider it "us" not "them".

I'm pretty sure Aldus Huxley made a prediction about this around 100 years ago regarding an appeal to the tribal mentality through sports.* He was certainly right with European soccer fans and to a lesser degree the NFL.* It's purely tribal appeal -- "us" vs "them", defending home field, the colors and logos used to bond us all together the way a flag does.* Heck the game of football is all about taking field position from the other guy and defending it on the other side of the ball.* The game itself ticks a lot of the cave man buttons.

First time I've seen an Aldous Huxley reference on this here board. Nice!

You sure you haven't gone through one of the "doors of perception" Aldous wrote about? Ha!

To underline your point as it relates to football, I'm sure you've seen or heard the late great George Carlin's brilliant comparison of the militaristic vernacular relating to football vs the pastoral vernacular relating to baseball? Classic.

http://youtu.be/qmXacL0Uny0

egyptian420
12-23-2011, 04:46 PM

this

giantsforce
12-23-2011, 09:10 PM

I promise you're wrong.

Maybe some other organizations but not the Giants.What makes you so sure about this? Is it all the changes they made when the same **** happens every year?.

Weygand
12-28-2011, 02:32 AM
was there a finally tally of who's "we" and those in the "they" camp?

stormblue
12-28-2011, 03:39 AM
"my" god
"my" country
"my" ny giants
"yo" momma

but not necessarily in that oder.