PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys "incident"

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
No idea what this could be, but....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/08/report-incident-involving-cowboys-could-impact-defensive-lineup/

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
WFAA is reporting Cowboys DT Josh Brent is held in Irving Jail for allegation of intoxication manslaughter. I know Brent won't make trip
Retweeted by Brian McIntyre

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
I can also confirm. Awful RT @Matt_Barrie: Can confirm, Josh Brent was driving car involved in a fatal accident that killed Jerry Brown Jr.

Jerry Brown Jr. is apparently a practice squad player for the Cowboys. Very terrible.

Jet-Blue
12-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Some more info:

Josh Brent arrested after crash kills Cowboys player

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/_Hanzus_2-65x90.jpg

By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer
Published: Dec. 8, 2012 at 03:29 p.m.
Updated: Dec. 8, 2012 at 03:54 p.m.

Dallas Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) defensive tackle Josh Brent (http://boards.giants.com/player/joshbrent/2508076/profile) was arrested Saturday on an intoxication manslaughter charge connected to the death of Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown Jr., Irving, Texas, police confirmed to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

Irving police confirmed Brent is being processed on the charge, a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000. Police said Brent is scheduled to be arraigned Sunday.

According to a report released by Irving police, Brent was behind the wheel of a speeding vehicle after 2 a.m., when it hit a curb, causing it to flip at least once before coming to rest in the middle of a service road. When officers arrived on the scene, Brent was responsive and able to speak. Brown, 25, was unresponsive and transferred to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
The Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) confirmed Brown's death as the team prepared for Sunday's matchup (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012120909/2012/REG14/cowboys@bengals) against the Cincinnati Bengals (http://boards.giants.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN).
Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) owner Jerry Jones released a statement of condolence:
"We are deeply saddened by the news of this accident and the passing of Jerry Brown," the statement read. "At this time, our hearts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with the members of Jerry's family and all of those who knew him and loved him."
Brent and Brown were college teammates at Illinois and were living together, a team source told Rapoport.
Brent is in his third season with the Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL). A promising nose tackle, he had been in line to start for injured veteran Jay Ratliff (http://boards.giants.com/player/jayratliff/2506556/profile) on Sunday.
Brown was signed to the Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL)' practice squad on Oct. 24. He was previously on the Indianapolis Colts (http://boards.giants.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/profile?team=IND)' practice squad before his Oct. 20 release.
Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @danhanzus (https://twitter.com/danhanzus).

GMENAGAIN
12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
That's terrible

gmen0820
12-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Unbelievable. Roger Goodell has to be harsher on DUIs...how much longer can this go on? Such an issue, especially when law enforcement wants to "cut them a break". Saw the video of Jovan Belcher being stopped at 3 am before the incident occurred, disgusting how three cops handled it.

laylow28
12-08-2012, 09:02 PM
The sad thing is this whole event could have been avoided by using the car service provided by the NFLPA or taking a cab.

Flip Empty
12-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Unbelievable. Roger Goodell has to be harsher on DUIs...how much longer can this go on? Such an issue, especially when law enforcement wants to "cut them a break". Saw the video of Jovan Belcher being stopped at 3 am before the incident occurred, disgusting how three cops handled it.
Agree. Fines and suspensions for all of them.

The Giants' handling of the David Diehl situation was disappointing.

Parademon
12-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Throw the book at that POS Brent! This ain't his 1st DUI offense either! He had the services of the NFL's "Get a ride if your too stinkin drunk to drive" program at his disposal & chose not to us it! There are no excuses in the world that his POS defense lawyer can come up with to get this maggot off with probation! It's just a shame he didn't bite it as well!

Sorry, I hate drunk drivers & can't stand Irresponsible drinkers in general! Never touched a drop of alcohol in my life cuz I never saw the big attraction to drinking as well as I'm a health nut & don't believe in putting a flammable liquid in my body, Don't smoke either. I have always lived my life by the "sound mind, clean, healthy body" mantra.

And anybody that would come to this POS defense here is an A-hole in my book as well!

Rat_bastich
12-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I used to work in a jail setting and it is amazing how many drunk drivers there are out there no matter if they are aware of the possible consequences.

I am not going to lie and not say I have never driven drunk. In my early military days I did..and was very lucky not to have hurt either myself or someone else. But, I wised up after a scare where my buddy lost his license and driving privileges on base after running off a base road. We were lucky that was the only penalty.

I think people think they are either 1) invincible or 2) never think it will happen to them. It's a tragedy but the accountability and failing belongs to everyone...most of all to the player that lacked judgement and made the decision to get behind the wheel.

The guy has to live with the fact that he was responsible for the death of his friend, but that is of little consequence since a young man lost his life and his family lost a son, brother, father, etc. This is sad and should serve as a wake up.

And, as much as I hate the Cowboys this is something that transcends a simple game. I hate the Cowboys as a rival, but never wish to see something bad happen to any human being.

ashleymarie
12-09-2012, 06:22 AM
I used to work in a jail setting and it is amazing how many drunk drivers there are out there no matter if they are aware of the possible consequences.

I am not going to lie and not say I have never driven drunk. In my early military days I did..and was very lucky not to have hurt either myself or someone else. But, I wised up after a scare where my buddy lost his license and driving privileges on base after running off a base road. We were lucky that was the only penalty.

I think people think they are either 1) invincible or 2) never think it will happen to them. It's a tragedy but the accountability and failing belongs to everyone...most of all to the player that lacked poor judgement and made the decision to get behind the wheel.

The guy has to live with the fact that he was responsible for the death of his friend, but that is of little consequence since a young man lost his life and his family lost a son, brother, father, etc. This is sad and should serve as a wake up.

And, as much as I hate the Cowboys this is something that transcends a simple game. I hate the Cowbiys as a rival, but never wish to see something bad happen to any human being.

Very good post.

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm sure we all know someone who is darn lucky that it hasn't happened to. Not sure why so many think that it couldn't happen to them after drinking. I feel for Josh Brent. It was a terrible mistake that has ruined his life. The guilt must be overwhelming.

Flip Empty
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm sure we all know someone who is darn lucky that it hasn't happened to. Not sure why so many think that it couldn't happen to them after drinking. I feel for Josh Brent. It was a terrible mistake that has ruined his life. The guilt must be overwhelming.
You feel sorry for a guy who killed someone? He doesn't deserve sympathy.

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I do. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve punishment, but he didn't kill someone on purpose. He made a terrible mistake that I bet 1/2 of this board has made and gotten lucky to not have this happen. That was a good friend who was killed. He's in hell right now, I'm sure. The person who was killed got in the car himself. I'm glad that no one else was involved.

Rat_bastich
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Actually he does deserve sympathy because everyone makes mistakes...sometimes over and over. Unfortunately for him the lesson learned has been a harsh one. I feel sympathy for the guy because he had a career that only few could ever dream of ever having and now it is all gone. I have sympathy for the guy because he has to live with what he did every moment...sleeping or waking. The guy will be haunted for the rest of his life.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I do. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve punishment, but he didn't kill someone on purpose. He made a terrible mistake that I bet 1/2 of this board has made and gotten lucky to not have this happen. That was a good friend who was killed. He's in hell right now, I'm sure. The person who was killed got in the car himself. I'm glad that no one else was involved.I agree with you. Back when I was in high school and the military I used to drink and drive. Then one night I got a call from a hospital at 3am to come and identify my friend who was "brain dead" from a single car accident while he was drunk off his butt and only a mile from base. When I went to the hospital, the only way i recognized him was from the tattoo on his arm. From that day on I have never had more than 1 beer and driven. That is the reality, it takes something like that to wake most people up. Myself included!

appodictic
12-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I do not understand why these football players get all the DUI's. I guess its "Lifestyles of the rich and the shameless"

Toadofsteel
12-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Condolences to the family of Jerry Brown Jr...

Rat_bastich
12-10-2012, 08:25 AM
I do not understand why these football players get all the DUI's. I guess its "Lifestyles of the rich and the shameless"

While there are some mature football players for the most part look at the lifestyle from the days of highschool and on. Most of the players with NFL potential are 'pushed' through school...high school...college and surrounded by guys that never tell them no. Even in colleges, many of the coaches are enablers as long as the player is productive. These guys...even the lowest ranked players get hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown at them. Money combined with a slower developing maturity level usually leads to a whole lot of mess. Look how long it took for Pacman Jones to straighten out.

However, DUI's are not the province of NFL players. You are only seeing them getting them because they are a smaller community and in the limelight. If you could see the stats probably for your local jail or even county you would see that NFL players on a national level not even registering a full percentage of those getting DUI's. It is a very common problem, that no matter how harsh you make laws, will not deter alot of people.

There are probably more domestic violence issues than DUI's among NFL players.

Parademon
12-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry, niether player gets zero sympathy from me. They both knew they were ****faced drunk & decided to use a 2 ton vehicle as a weapon & it cost them! I'm just thankful it was only them 2 & not an innocent family that paid for their stupidity!

Yeah, he did kill someone on purpose! You get behind the wheel of a 2-4 ton vehicle in a drunken stooper, you have just turned it into a deadly weapon!

Really, stop with the BS excuses for these maggots that drink & drive! Just makes me think that some of you fall into that catagory as well.

Rat_bastich
12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Sorry, niether player gets zero sympathy from me. They both knew they were ****faced drunk & decided to use a 2 ton vehicle as a weapon & it cost them! I'm just thankful it was only them 2 & not an innocent family that paid for their stupidity!

Yeah, he did kill someone on purpose! You get behind the wheel of a 2-4 ton vehicle in a drunken stooper, you have just turned it into a deadly weapon!

Really, stop with the BS excuses for these maggots that drink & drive! Just makes me think that some of you fall into that catagory as well.

Let's just hope you don't do something stupid or have never done so.

Parademon
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Let's just hope you don't do something stupid or have never done so.

Nope, I haven't. Guess you fall in the catagory of drinking/driving since you seem to be defending the guy.

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I never have had more than one drink and driven a car. Defending him and feeling bad for him are 2 different things. There is no excuse for what happened. He will go to jail, and deservedly so. But,I'm not going to apologize for having sympathy for someone who didn't mean to kill a good friend, but did.

Rat_bastich
12-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Nope, I haven't. Guess you fall in the catagory of drinking/driving since you seem to be defending the guy.

At what point did I defend the guy? As Believe said...there is a difference between sympathy and defense. It is inhuman to not sympathize with the tragedy that his life has befallen because of a stupid choice made by a young man.

Flip Empty
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
At what point did I defend the guy? As Believe said...there is a difference between sympathy and defense. It is inhuman to not sympathize with the tragedy that his life has befallen because of a stupid choice made by a young man.
Self-inflicted.

Stupid choice or not, it's a choice he made on his own, and that choice lead to the death of his friend. I can't sympathize with him at all.

Parademon
12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Self-inflicted.

Stupid choice or not, it's a choice he made on his own, and that choice lead to the death of his friend. I can't sympathize with him at all.

Thank you! Also to those of you sympathizing for the maggot, I wonder how much sympathy you would have for him if it was your family member or friend he took out.

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Jerry's Brown's mother has forgiven Brent and asked him to ride with her to the memorial service. She recognized that her son got into the car of his own free will, too.

Ntegrase96
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Thank you! Also to those of you sympathizing for the maggot, I wonder how much sympathy you would have for him if it was your family member or friend he took out.

Or vice versa... what if it was your family member, or even child that was doing the driving?

People are people, and not many are inherently evil. Stupid? Definitely. But I agree with Rat on this one. Defending and sympathizing are two different things and it's just human nature to feel for another person, no matter how stupid or destructive their decisions are.

I understand everyone has their own stories and opinions that affect their ideals so I'm not saying you're wrong in the way you think. But I don't think you should write off someones opinion just because you don't agree with it... especially when someone explained exactly why they feel the way they do.

ShakeandBake
12-11-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20121210-witness-cowboy-s-attorney-dispute-player-s-actions-after-deadly-crash.ece

The more that comes out about this story, the worse it seems to get.......Personally I think the league should ban Brent, especially considering he is a repeat offender

Ntegrase96
12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20121210-witness-cowboy-s-attorney-dispute-player-s-actions-after-deadly-crash.ece

The more that comes out about this story, the worse it seems to get.......Personally I think the league should ban Brent, especially considering he is a repeat offender

They definitely should.

ShakeandBake
12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
They definitely should.

I was just about to ask you what your take on the situation was, do you think the Cowboys are going to let him play if he is able to?

Ntegrase96
12-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I was just about to ask you what your take on the situation was, do you think the Cowboys are going to let him play if he is able to?

I think he should be banned by the league. DUIs are nothing to play with, and in this case it has resulted in a death. In my opinion he has lost his privilege to play professional ball, and he honestly he should be in jail.

ShakeandBake
12-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I think he should be banned by the league. DUIs are nothing to play with, and in this case it has resulted in a death. In my opinion he has lost his privilege to play professional ball, and he honestly he should be in jail.

Yeah, I could not believe that he was out on bail the day after this happened, absolutely sickening

Toadofsteel
12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree that Brent, as a repeat offender and someone who has committed manslaughter, should be immediately suspended from the league, not to mention he should be serving jail time for said manslaughter.

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Although I've been labeled as a "sympathizer" with Brent, I agree that he shouldn't be allowed to play. Feeling badly for him doesn't mean I think he should go unpunished.

the-wild-healer
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Although I've been labeled as a "sympathizer" with Brent, I agree that he shouldn't be allowed to play. Feeling badly for him doesn't mean I think he should go unpunished.

This.

I do think he should be with the team right now though. His mental state can not be good right now. He did a terrible an idiotic thing but this was not a stranger he killed, it was his teammate since college and from what hear, a best friend.

Parademon
12-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Or vice versa... what if it was your family member, or even child that was doing the driving?

People are people, and not many are inherently evil. Stupid? Definitely. But I agree with Rat on this one. Defending and sympathizing are two different things and it's just human nature to feel for another person, no matter how stupid or destructive their decisions are.

I understand everyone has their own stories and opinions that affect their ideals so I'm not saying you're wrong in the way you think. But I don't think you should write off someones opinion just because you don't agree with it... especially when someone explained exactly why they feel the way they do.

Believe me buddy, this ol Jarhead don't feel sympathy for no drunk driver that gets behind the wheel & takes a life, be he or she my mother/father brother/sister/cousin best friend..whatever! You do the crime, you do the time! Same goes for people that are life long smokers/dippers/alcoholics & die of any sort of self inflicted cancer or drug related illness due to their filthy addiction! Sucks to be them!

That the Cowboys organization has yet to suspend this rat filth & is actually defending him tells me all I need to know about them as well. Also not disciplining Ratliff for mouthing off to & almost coming to blows with a senior citizen who is also the owner of the team makes the Cowboys organization even more of a joke to me.

No accountability or responsibility is required to be a Dallas Cowboy!

BillTheGreek
12-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Very Sad, Condolences to the family of Jerry Brown Jr.

Josh Brent made a terrible mistake, this has ruined his life and his career.

Parademon
12-12-2012, 12:37 AM
You forgot to add "and took a life".

bELIeve_in_Giants
12-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
Source: Cowboys moving Josh Brent to non-football injury or illness list to clear roster spot; allowing him facility access and team support
Retweeted by Adam Schefter

Giantz4Life
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Believe me buddy, this ol Jarhead don't feel sympathy for no drunk driver that gets behind the wheel & takes a life, be he or she my mother/father brother/sister/cousin best friend..whatever! You do the crime, you do the time! Same goes for people that are life long smokers/dippers/alcoholics & die of any sort of self inflicted cancer or drug related illness due to their filthy addiction! Sucks to be them!

That the Cowboys organization has yet to suspend this rat filth & is actually defending him tells me all I need to know about them as well. Also not disciplining Ratliff for mouthing off to & almost coming to blows with a senior citizen who is also the owner of the team makes the Cowboys organization even more of a joke to me.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NDhHq2KZsCs/TTF_3TqxLuI/AAAAAAAAAXE/8Lx2LbUiIPs/s1600/high%2Bhorse.jpg

How's the view up there?

The guy who was killed had just as much a part in losing his life than the guy who was driving. It could of been either of them driving and the outcome could have been the same. He must of been a real idiot to get in a car with a guy he knew was drunk, but since he died, his life was "taken" and he is innocent according to you. I feel bad the guy lost his life, but he is in the same boat the other guy is, it's just that he paid the ultimate price and Brent has to live with this for the rest of his life.

I'm glad you have never made a mistake in your life and that if your Mother ever called you crying hysterically in jail in the same situation you would simply reply, "Sucks to be you, Ma!"

Ntegrase96
12-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Hey if that's how you feel, that's how you feel.

Jet-Blue
01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Found this on NFL.com

DALLAS -- An autopsy found that Dallas Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) practice-squad player Jerry Brown Jr. was not legally intoxicated when he was killed in a crash that led to an intoxication manslaughter charge against the teammate at the wheel.

The Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office reported Thursday that Brown died of head and neck trauma when their vehicle overturned. He had a dislocated neck, a severely bruised spine and a blood-alcohol content of 0.056 percent. The Texas drunken-driving standard is 0.08 percent.

Police have said Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) nose guard Josh Brent, who was driving, had a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117657/article/josh-brent-drove-with-suspended-license-before-crash) when after the Dec. 8 crash in Irving, a Dallas suburb. He remains free on $100,000 bond. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113369/article/cowboys-josh-brent-ordered-to-wear-monitor-bond-lowered)

Police say neither man was wearing a seatbelt.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press