PDA

View Full Version : Question about playoff seedings. Giants related.

G-Men Surg.
12-09-2012, 10:01 PM
If Detroit wins against GB tonight do the Giants climb to the 3rd seed in the NFC ?

BigBlueAllDay
12-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Yes. If the Giants beat the Falcons, they still have a shot to overtake them too.

BigBlue1971
12-09-2012, 10:03 PM
by virture of their victory over the Pack yes #3 would be their position!

the Giants just need to keep winning and worry about noone else!

G-Men Surg.
12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
That would be nice if the Lions put the hurt on GB. Doesn't hurt if Giants get a bye week. Lets keep it up.

slipknottin
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
That would be nice if the Lions put the hurt on GB. Doesn't hurt if Giants get a bye week. Lets keep it up.

Wont get a bye week unless they finish the season tied or ahead of the 49ers in the standings.

Right now the Falcons have one of the top spots locked up, and the 49ers are ahead of the giants at 9-3-1, and the packers could be ahead as well depending on this game.

bbdynasty
12-09-2012, 10:09 PM
if we go 10-6 and lose the division, we still have a shot at a wild card. We're lookin good for the playoffs imo

G-Men Surg.
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Wont get a bye week unless they finish the season tied or ahead of the 49ers in the standings.

Right now the Falcons have one of the top spots locked up, and the 49ers are ahead of the giants at 9-3-1, and the packers could be ahead as well depending on this game.
Still have a shot and for what its worth is something to fight for bro. If it can light a fire under Big Blue to play for it heck I'm ALL IN !

GMAN2K9
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
I'd rather be the #3 or #4 seed. Bye weeks in the playoffs dont serve us well and I'd love to set the tone in the wild card round then steam roll ATL (or SF) in the divisional round.

Just keep winning Big Blue! When you play like Champions there is NO STOPPING YOU!

G-Men Surg.
12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I'd rather be the #3 or #4 seed. Bye weeks in the playoffs dont serve us well and I'd love to set the tone in the wild card round then steam roll ATL (or SF) in the divisional round.

Just keep winning Big Blue! When you play like Champions there is NO STOPPING YOU!

That's in the past bro. i think this team is mature by now and IMO can benefit with a weeks rest with a lot of guys being banged up not to mention the bumps and bruises over the 3 game season the Giants have left to play. I'm ALL IN if they can make it .

miked1958
12-09-2012, 11:53 PM
if we go 10-6 and lose the division, we still have a shot at a wild card. We're lookin good for the playoffs imoyea huge blowout wins vs SF, GB and NO....have put us in a good position.. Still have to beat two more tough teams on road if we want to make playoffs though

G-Men Surg.
12-10-2012, 12:16 AM
yea huge blowout wins vs SF, GB and NO....have put us in a good position.. Still have to beat two more tough teams on road if we want to make playoffs though
I do feel 10-6 can be enough to win the division seeing the way things are shaping up. Dallas is really banged up at D and RG III looks like can miss playing time. That been said I believe the Giants can really benefit if they were to earn a bye week.

RagTime Blue
12-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Bye week also equals Home Playoff Game.

BMW
12-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Lions stink.

G-Men Surg.
12-10-2012, 12:22 AM

Winning the division assures the champ a home game but a # 2 seed ( aside of ambye week ) gives more opportunities to play a conference title game if things pan out .

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 12:24 AM
if we go 10-6 and lose the division, we still have a shot at a wild card. We're lookin good for the playoffs imo
If we go 10-6, we are winning the division...Period.

gmenfan0488
12-10-2012, 12:39 AM
you gus do realize we need to win out to make the playoffs, right?

gmenfan0488
12-10-2012, 12:40 AM

Maybe, and if we go 10-6, and if the cowboys or skins go 10-6, we lose the division, and if Seattle's 10-6, we lose out on the wild card, and miss the playoffs entirely.

ebick
12-10-2012, 12:48 AM

Winning the division = at least one home playoff game (See 2011)

steviebrownyo
12-10-2012, 01:26 AM
you gus do realize we need to win out to make the playoffs, right?

You do realize that if we go 10-6 and dont win the division we get the wildcard unless Chicago and Seattle* win out, right?

*Seattle can get the wildcard if they go 2-1 winning both of their nfc games, and we go 2-1 with the loss being to an NFC team. Even then, it will come down to strength of victory. Which is up in the air at this point.

So while winning out would be ideal, we have a very good chance to make it at 10-6. We could very realistically win the division at 10-6, if not we would have a VERY good chance at the wildcard. At 9-7, were kinda screwed. Need 10

Antwuan
12-10-2012, 01:35 AM
If Detroit wins against GB tonight do the Giants climb to the 3rd seed in the NFC ?

Yes the Giants would been the 3rd Seed because they beat the Packers in the head to head matchup, but since the Packers won the Giants are still the 4th Seed.

repeatchamps
12-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Maybe, and if we go 10-6, and if the cowboys or skins go 10-6, we lose the division, and if Seattle's 10-6, we lose out on the wild card, and miss the playoffs entirely.

This is horribly inaccurate. 10-6 tie with Seattle does not eliminate them in any way shape or form. Seatlle is 6-4 in the conference and if their one loss comes against SF or Stl, they cannot tie the Giants conference record if their one loss is against Baltimore. There are two wild card spots first of all and second of all if the one loss is against Baltimore and the Giants finish 10-6 they are in the playoffs unless 2 of the Bears or Pack or Seattle are 11-5. Bears play GB, Seattle play SF so 11-5 is highly unlikely for either team. Oh and don't say common opponents tie breaker would go to Seattle as that is incorrect. Seattle can only tie the Giants for common opponents so for sure conference record would be the difference and if the scenario mentioned above plays out, Giants get the tie breaker.

Antwuan
12-10-2012, 01:46 AM

I agree!

Within the next 2 weeks expect the Cowboys & Redskins to lose one before Week 17.

GMan-67
12-10-2012, 05:30 AM
PLAYOFFS?!?!?!? PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?

Captain Chaos
12-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Who cares lets just get in!

stormblue
12-10-2012, 06:35 AM
as of right NOW , the Giants MUST win out.
until Wash,Dallas,Chicago and Seattle ; all lose at least one more game.....we have no other option.
10-6 does not guaranty anything.
right now both Chicago and Seattle could still go 11-5

Antwuan
12-10-2012, 06:40 AM
as of right NOW , the Giants MUST win out.
until Wash,Dallas,Chicago and Seattle ; all lose at least one more game.....we have no other option.
10-6 does not guaranty anything.
right now both Chicago and Seattle could still go 11-5

I also agree with that.

BillTheGreek
12-10-2012, 08:11 AM

^^^ Don't Like This !

Redeyejedi
12-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Right now the Falcons have one of the top spots locked up, and the 49ers are ahead of the giants at 9-3-1, and the packers could be ahead as well depending on this game.Giants arent getting a by. They need to concentrate on getting both of these NFC Games at worse. 10-6 will get them the 2nd Wildcard with that conference record. Giants I believe own tiebreakers over Bears and Seahawks. If Giants win 2 of 3 I expect them to be in Seattle or SF. The key 2 key games are Seattle SF and Bears GB. The Giants are in good shape if GB and SF win. What would be bad is if Seattle and the Bears win out. If both those teams win out and the Giants lose 1 game they are out.

stormblue
12-10-2012, 08:45 AM
that's my point....we have to win out to be GUARANTEED a wild card....
but if we win out we don't NEED the wild card.....

Redeyejedi
12-10-2012, 08:50 AM
^^^ Don't Like This ! Its not True dont worry. Giants have a better conference record.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Its not True dont worry. Giants have a better conference record.
Unfortunately Conference record isn't the next tie breaker anymore. They changed it to common opponents. The Giants lose that tie breaker to both the Skins and Cowboys.

miked1958
12-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Unfortunately Conference record isn't the next tie breaker anymore. They changed it to common opponents. The Giants lose that tie breaker to both the Skins and Cowboys.I am of the old school mentality. JUST WIN. If we win our games then we have no need to watch the scoreboard. It will be unnesessary. Wont matter what any of them do if we win out.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
I am of the old school mentality. JUST WIN. If we win our games then we have no need to watch the scoreboard. It will be unnesessary. Wont matter what any of them do if we win out.
Niether the Cowboys or Skins are running the table. 10-6 will win the division for us. That's 2 out of 3. If we don't do that we don't deserve the division.

ryan12
12-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Niether the Cowboys or Skins are running the table. 10-6 will win the division for us. That's 2 out of 3. If we don't do that we don't deserve the division.

how did you do in your playoff game with team schaugas

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 01:30 PM
how did you do in your playoff game with team schaugas
Well I'm up 60 plus and he has Brady and Andre tonight. Looks like I'll be 30 or 40 up going in to next week.

KillaRich
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
I dont like the thought that the cowboys or skins cant win out...obviously both cant because they play each other...but im going to make believe that one of them win out so we have to win out..... just win... get in!

bklyn1028
12-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I just played with ESPN's playoff machine:

Week 15:
NYG beats ATlanta
Cowboys beat Steelers
Redskins beat Browns
Chicago beats Packers
Patriots beat 49ers
Seattle wins or loses doesn't matter I tried both ways
#1 seed = Falcons
#2 seed = Giants

Week 16:
Falcons beat Bills
Green Bay beats Titans
Eagles beat Skins
Ravens beat Giants
Chicago beats Cardinals
Seahawks beat 49ers
#1seed = Falcons
#2 seed = Seahawks
Giants are out

Week 17:
Falcons beat Bucs
Bears beat Lions
Vikings beat Green Bay
Giants beat Eagles
Skins beat Cowboys
49ers beat Cardinals
Seahawks beat Rams

#1 seed = Falcons
#2 seed = Seahawks
#3 seed = Bears
#4 seed = Redskins
#5 seed = 49ers
#6 seed = Giants

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
I just played with ESPN's playoff machine:

Week 15:
NYG beats ATlanta
Cowboys beat Steelers
Redskins beat Browns
Chicago beats Packers
Patriots beat 49ers
Seattle wins or loses doesn't matter I tried both ways
#1 seed = Falcons
#2 seed = Giants

Week 16:
Falcons beat Bills
Green Bay beats Titans
Eagles beat Skins
Ravens beat Giants
Chicago beats Cardinals
Seahawks beat 49ers
#1seed = Falcons
#2 seed = Seahawks
Giants are out

Week 17:
Falcons beat Bucs
Bears beat Lions
Vikings beat Green Bay
Giants beat Eagles
Skins beat Cowboys
49ers beat Cardinals
Seahawks beat Rams

#1 seed = Falcons
#2 seed = Seahawks
#3 seed = Bears
#4 seed = Redskins
#5 seed = 49ers
#6 seed = Giants

By this scenario The Giants would be 10-6 and lose to the division to the Skins who would be 9-7.
Please explain.

Signature NYG
12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
So are magic number until either the cowboys or redskins lose is the number of games left?

Also what is the deal with Seattle? MS said they own the tiebreaker due to beating common opponents? well that BS win vs the Pack looms large huh smh replacment refs