PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Brown, Giants' "D" Stand Tall Against The Saints'

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 07:51 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._stand_ta.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/stevie_brown_giants_d_stand_ta.html)

Excerpt: "Antrel Rolle wanted to see a “nastier” side from his defense; more “dog” from his inconsistent unit. Jason Pierre-Paul chimed in by uttering the “s” word (soft) to describe the defense’s performance last week against the Redskins.

Facing a potent Saints offense Sunday, the Giants surrendered their fair share of big plays and points, but when they needed a stop or a turnover, they came through with some “nasty” in a 52-27 trouncing at MetLife Stadium.

“We definitely stepped up to the plate,” defensive lineman/linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka said. “It was a challenge, and we rose to the occasion. Antrel’s words are pretty much right on target, and he wasn’t off this week either. We had a little extra motivation.

“One of our brothers was, not calling us out, but challenging us to step up, so I think everybody took that to heart.”

All it took was three plays for a nasty streak to surface with the Giants’ trio of safeties.

Drew Brees connected with Marques Colston for thirty yards over the middle when safeties Will Hill — playing for the injured Kenny Phillips — and Stevie Brown converged on the wide receiver. From one side Hill lowered his shoulder to clobber Colston; from the other, Brown’s perfectly placed hit knocked the ball loose. Several bounces later, Rolle pounced on it.

On the next drive, Rolle forced his own fumble, leveling fullback Jed Collins after a 2-yard reception. Defensive tackle Linval Joseph recovered it and four plays later the Giants extended their lead to 14-7 with a touchdown." Read more..

bigjeep
12-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Not sure I can agree about the Defense! Game was tucked away and the "D" almost lost it! Thats the way I see it!

Flip Empty
12-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Not sure I can agree about the Defense! Game was tucked away and the "D" almost lost it! Thats the way I see it!
I thought they were okay, considering.

The Saints had 15 drives and only scored on four of them.
The Saints' #1 ranked red zone offense could only score on two of its four trips into Giants territory - one drive ending with an impressive goal-line stand.
Giants also forced two fumbles and picked Brees off twice.

Holding the Saints' offense to 20 points was a good result, if you ask me.

Gimaniac
12-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Holding the Saints' offense to 20 points was a good result, if you ask me.

Yes it was. So was 17 against RG3.

Need more pressure on the opposing QB to make a serious run.

stormblue
12-10-2012, 08:33 AM
the D gave up 20 points to a team that averages 27 ppg.
win , lose or draw , Brees is still gonna get some.

this ain't the Harry Carson/LT Giants... and this years version doesn't suck any worse
than any other Giants D since the early 90's. don't look now , but it has been 2 decades since
we've had a dominating defense. i'm not saying we haven't had the occasional excellent run...
but it's been a long time since this was the big blue wrecking crew.

and this year , even though the pass rush isn't getting the sacks....and they suck against the run...
they still create enough turnovers to keep us in the game.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 08:58 AM

How did they almost lose it? How many times did they turn the game back over to Eli?

GMenFan12401
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Did anyone see someone bat the ball forward on the Colston fumble to swat it away from the Saints player?

gumby74
12-10-2012, 09:45 AM
It wasn't pretty that's for sure, but as long as our offense is scoring touchdowns and not FGs half the time, it's good enough to win.

Out of Exile
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
How did they almost lose it? How many times did they turn the game back over to Eli?

Agreed, some really silly comments this weekend.

GameTime
12-10-2012, 09:57 AM
the O and the D both had dumbass plays at times. They also kicked *** at times too....

STs......awesome.....one missed FG....Come on Tynes....dont make this a habit. Even the snaps were high again too.....

TroyArcher
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Like Brown but the defense is much better with Kenny Phillips on the field.

Atomic1
12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Did anyone see someone bat the ball forward on the Colston fumble to swat it away from the Saints player?

Pretty sure that was Corey Webster who pawed it fwrd. How about the play of Will Hill ! Very consistent and hard hitter. He laid out a Saint's player on a Brown INT return.
I like Kenny Philips too but IMO right now Stevie Brown is having an All-Pro like season.

Kruunch
12-10-2012, 12:51 PM
500 total yards ... 143 yards rushing (from the 26th ranked rushing offense).

Not a great defensive showing. Saints miscues had more to do with them only scoring 20 points then our defense did.

Games like this really mask some massive holes in our defensive scheme/play.

sideline sneek
12-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I thought the overall effort was there. Coverage was very good. However, I think an improvement might be necessary in the "stopping the run" area.
I give the D a 7 out of 10.

JamaarTaylor
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Stevie Brown is the best defensive FA we've snagged since Boley or Pierce. FACT