PDA

View Full Version : D Diehl proved he is better than he gets credit for around here

Harooni
12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Last night was a oline display rushing and pass blocking. I think that those who were blaming him for the losses now saw that he isnt a bad player.
Oline is a thankless job.

http://www.toonpool.com/user/3404/files/david_diehl_1593485.jpg

GameTime
12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Saints D blows but I was never on the DD hate wagon anyway......

Harooni
12-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Saints D blows but I was never on the DD hate wagon anyway...... still total yards was amazing. huge holes and Eli had lots of time. as i watched other games yesterday i realized some other teams have less than 3 seconds to get the passes off. makes me appreciate our Oline more.

EnragedYouth85
12-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Diehl isn't that bad, and O-line is def a thankless job! Love that picture tho! lol

GameTime
12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
still total yards was amazing. huge holes and Eli had lots of time. as i watched other games yesterday i realized some other teams have less than 3 seconds to get the passes off. makes me appreciate our Oline more.

no doubt. I think QBs on average get rid of the ball just under 3 seconds.....

giantscolombia
12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
DD proved the haters wrong. hopefully, he keeps he showing up.

it's gonna be a challenge against the Falcons.

Harooni
12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
no doubt. I think QBs on average get rid of the ball just under 3 seconds..... true , it is nice for eli to be able to get that 2nd and third look and still be on his feet. this oline coach is amazing because to me i dont see star talent on the oline. but he makes it work.

Drez
12-10-2012, 10:14 AM
He's had a couple of good games, but that doesn't mean that he's all that good of a player anymore. I'll need to see more to change my opinion that he's only a slightly below average player now.

By the way, until the 4q, we only had like 50 yards rushing. The OL did not do a very good job in run blocking yesterday for 90% of the game.

giantscolombia
12-10-2012, 10:14 AM
true , it is nice for eli to be able to get that 2nd and third look and still be on his feet. this oline coach is amazing because to me i dont see star talent on the oline. but he makes it work.

+1 we dont have any "stars" on the line...

EnragedYouth85
12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
true , it is nice for eli to be able to get that 2nd and third look and still be on his feet. this oline coach is amazing because to me i dont see star talent on the oline. but he makes it work.

This team tends to be a team of making something out of none superstars. I love it.

EliDaMANning
12-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Every time I saw Eli manning on his back I saw #66 on my TV screen.

Harooni
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
This team tends to be a team of making something out of none superstars. I love it. thats great coaching. and its mainly TC

EnragedYouth85
12-10-2012, 10:20 AM
thats great coaching. and its mainly TC

Agreed, TC can see the talent in anyone and put them in a situation to win games..

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Last night was a oline display rushing and pass blocking. I think that those who were blaming him for the losses now saw that he isnt a bad player. Oline is a thankless job. http://www.toonpool.com/user/3404/files/david_diehl_1593485.jpg +1

moosedrool
12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Against average pass rushers Diehl is bad. Against better than average pass rushers Diehl is AWFUL. The Saints pass rush is one of the worst in the league.

EliIsTheBaas
12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Smith and Jordan are the type of pass rushers that diehl can handle all day long. Neither are especially fast nor strong. The reason dd gets so much hate around here, is a lot of the time because we're losing and no one knows any better. However he has had a very checkered past, go to PFF to see his play during the super bowl run, not very good. We'll see how he does next week in a dome in on the road against some speedy rushers.

slipknottin
12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
He has played much better at RT than he did at LT or LG.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
You mean David Deihl isn't the anti-Christ after all?

Ruttiger711
12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
The criticism of his play was justified... but like anyone on this team though as soon as they dont perform aces, the armchair GM's demand that not only are they benched, they are washed up and worthless as human beings.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 10:53 AM
He's had a couple of good games, but that doesn't mean that he's all that good of a player anymore. I'll need to see more to change my opinion that he's only a slightly below average player now. By the way, until the 4q, we only had like 50 yards rushing. The OL did not do a very good job in run blocking yesterday for 90% of the game. That begs the question does the RB matter?

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 10:56 AM
The criticism of his play was justified... but like anyone on this team though as soon as they dont perform aces, the armchair GM's demand that not only are they benched, they are washed up and worthless as human beings.
Criticism is one thing. What went on on this MB went way beyond criticism.
Deihl is a great Giant. Deserved more appreciation then he's been getting here.

Drez
12-10-2012, 10:58 AM
That begs the question does the RB matter?Of course the RB matters. We witnessed that with Brown, too. Not saying that Bradshaw is bad, but he lack patience most of the time and no longer has the quickness he once did to bounce things outside.

Also, remember, Wilson hadn't run extremely well until late in the game, either.

slipknottin
12-10-2012, 10:58 AM

I don't think anyone didn't appreciate what he has done. But he was an awful football player the past two seasons.

GameTime
12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

that was my defense of Deihl. They guy is in the twilight of his career but the bull **** that went on here calling him garbage, loser, etc was ridiculous.
He deserves respect.

G-MENBK
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM

When you keep getting beat on important downs, keep getting manhandled or just allow a defender to run past by you with ease, that criticism is definitely warranted, especially when it occurs in numerous games.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't think anyone didn't appreciate what he has done. But he was an awful football player the past two seasons.
Not what I was reading here. You would have thought that he was the man on the grassy knoll.
And he hasn't been an "aweful player" the last 2 years.

GameTime
12-10-2012, 11:01 AM
you are right but the guy gives 100%. His 100% is no longer good enough but its all he can give.....

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I'll give DD credit, I have been real hard on the guy as of late. He played a great game, didn't hear his name once. Props to Diehl.

TroyArcher
12-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Always liked Diehl but he has had some rough games this year. Lets hope he plays like he did yesterday.

Drez
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Not what I was reading here. You would have thought that he was the man on the grassy knoll.
Yeah, you're right. He wasn't an awful player. He was worse than that.

Gmen 802
12-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Let's see how he holds up against a speed rusher (usually his biggest issue) in John Abraham before we're so forgiving...Saint's d-line and front 7 in general has been awful this year

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, you're right. He wasn't an awful player. He was worse than that.
I would submit that our offense, especially our running game, improved dramatically last year when DD moved to LT. He's not a guard. That's a myth. He's a tackle.
He is certainly not what he used to be but we did win a SB with DD protecting Eli's blind side.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Let's see how he holds up against a speed rusher (usually his biggest issue) in John Abraham before we're so forgiving...Saint's d-line and front 7 in general has been awful this year
Sounds like you're hoping for him to fail.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Of course the RB matters. We witnessed that with Brown, too. Not saying that Bradshaw is bad, but he lack patience most of the time and no longer has the quickness he once did to bounce things outside. Also, remember, Wilson hadn't run extremely well until late in the game, either. My point is everybody shares in the good and the bad

slipknottin
12-10-2012, 11:14 AM

He was the worst OT in the league, and was the worst Lg in the league. He has indeed been awful

nycisgreat
12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
One game out of the many terrible games he has had over the past two seasons. He did step up yesterday, which is good for the team. But Locklear is still a whole lot better than DD now. But injuries are part of the game. Let's just hope DD can repeat this performance.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
He was the worst OT in the league, and was the worst Lg in the league. He has indeed been awful
Yet the O line improved substantially after he moved to LT last year.

As far as I'm concerned, we were damned lucky to have him and are lucky to have him now. What do you think would happen to our O line if he went down with injury now?
I would say that we'd be in big trouble.

slipknottin
12-10-2012, 11:21 AM

As far as I'm concerned, we were damned lucky to have him and are lucky to have him now. What do you think would happen to our O line if he went down with injury now?

The OL didn't improve. Did you watch the 49ers game? That was some of the worst pass blocking I have ever seen

Beatty is roughly 2 million percent better than Diehl is at LT.

Harooni
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
"he has been awful for 2 years" I dont think he is the best T at all but awful thats low. he really is a superb guard though.

nycisgreat
12-10-2012, 11:23 AM

The oline isn't only about protection. What about run gaps. Our run game has declined over the past three seasons. Yes. We had excellent pass protection last season, but we were. Dreadful run team as well due to our oline.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:24 AM
The OL didn't improve. Did you watch the 49ers game? That was some of the worst pass blocking I have ever seen

Beatty is roughly 2 million percent better than Diehl is at LT.
And obviously SF is such a poor pass rushing team. Imagine how he would do against a team that can actually get to the QB.

Gmen 802
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Sounds like you're hoping for him to fail.

Not at all. He's our starting RT from here on out barring injury, so why would I want that? I'm just not ready to forgive him for seasons now of mediocrity or worse because he played well against the league's worst defense. I absolutely hope he plays well for the rest of the year, helps pave the way for Bradshaw and now Wilson (who provided he doesn't fumble is sure to get more carries) as well as not only keep Eli upright but give him time to throw. We will see

slipknottin
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
"he has been awful for 2 years" I dont think he is the best T at all but awful thats low. he really is a superb guard though.

When he played LG last season he was plain brutal. When he was a young player he was a capable guard. But he got mauled every game at LG in recent years.

He has played ok at RT this season, still no reason at all for them to have started him over Locklear, but little choice now. Still expect Diehl to be released in the offseason

slipknottin
12-10-2012, 11:28 AM
And obviously SF is such a poor pass rushing team. Imagine how he would do against a team that can actually get to the QB.

Did you watch the giants play the 49ers this year?

That is the difference when you have capable pass blockers.

Diehl for whatever reason, age, injuries, etc. was a horrible pass blocker the past two years at every position he's played.

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 11:29 AM
And obviously SF is such a poor pass rushing team. Imagine how he would do against a team that can actually get to the QB.When your probably going to play this team in the playoffs it matters....

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Did you watch the giants play the 49ers this year?

That is the difference when you have capable pass blockers.

Diehl for whatever reason, age, injuries, etc. was a horrible pass blocker the past two years at every position he's played.
At this point in his career, he's a very good back up. He is fine at RT. He's not the "awful" player you guys are making him out to be.

Again....what would happen if he got hurt? Obviously you guys think we'd be better off.

slipknottin
12-10-2012, 11:42 AM
At this point in his career, he's a very good back up. He is fine at RT. He's not the "awful" player you guys are making him out to be.

Again....what would happen if he got hurt? Obviously you guys think we'd be better off.

The past couple games are the first time in three years he hasent been one of the worst players playing OL in the league

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:44 AM
The past couple games are the first time in three years he hasent been one of the worst players playing OL in the league
That's just ridiculous.
DD had been our LT for many years and during that time, Eli was one of the least sacked QB's in football.

Buddy333
12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
That's just ridiculous. DD had been our LT for many years and during that time, Eli was one of the least sacked QB's in football.That's more because of Eli than Diehl.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 11:53 AM
That's more because of Eli than Diehl.
Look I'm not saying that DD is a great football player. What I am saying is that he's not the bumbling, incompetent that some of you are suggesting he is.
And we have won a lot of games, and had a dynamic offense for many years with DD playing an important role on our O line.

I mean..."the worst O lineman in the league". This is complete nonsense.

Toadofsteel
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Diehl belongs in our ring of honor, not our offensive line. But now with the injury to the superior Locklear we have little choice. I hope Diehl goes down the stretch on fire...

GameTime
12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Diehl belongs in our ring of honor, not our offensive line. But now with the injury to the superior Locklear we have little choice. I hope Diehl goes down the stretch on fire...
well said....

Drez
12-10-2012, 12:08 PM
That's just ridiculous.
DD had been our LT for many years and during that time, Eli was one of the least sacked QB's in football.
And a lot of that has to do with Eli more than the OL. Much the same as Peyton, Eli makes the OL look better by getting rid of the ball quickly and changing up protections.

Explain then why Eli was pressured on 45% or so of his drop backs last season. That doesn't sound like a great pass blocking line to me.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
And a lot of that has to do with Eli more than the OL. Much the same as Peyton, Eli makes the OL look better by getting rid of the ball quickly and changing up protections.

Explain then why Eli was pressured on 45% or so of his drop backs last season. That doesn't sound like a great pass blocking line to me.
Sounds like a World Championship line to me.

Kruunch
12-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Eli has a lot to do with the lack of sacks, but if it was a *bad* offensive line, no amount of stutter shuffling would save him from a beating.

Just ask Rodgers.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Eli has a lot to do with the lack of sacks, but if it was a *bad* offensive line, no amount of stutter shuffling would save him from a beating.

Just ask Rodgers.
Or Cutler.

Drez
12-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Just ask Rodgers.
Rodgers' OL is probably even worse this year than ours was last year. However, Eli I think is more willing to just throw the ball away rather than trying to keep the play alive. I think to a certain degree Rodgers' athleticism actually leads to more sacks, as in seeing as he's athletic enough to keep plays alive, he allows more time for the rush to get to him, whereas a less athletic guy like Eli will just give up on the same play and toss the ball out of bounds.

Drez
12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a World Championship line to me.

Just because they were a World Championship line doesn't entail that they were great. Eli was by a very wide margin the most pressured QB in the NFL in '11-'12. Combine that with a team that was last in the league in rushing and that tells me the OL was not very good last season.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Just because they were a World Championship line doesn't entail that they were great. Eli was by a very wide margin the most pressured QB in the NFL in '11-'12. Combine that with a team that was last in the league in rushing and that tells me the OL was not very good last season.
There is no way in hell that Eli was the most pressured QB in the NFL this and last year. Thats just lunacy. Yes, our O line wasn't our strength, but it certainly wasn't the worst in football. Ask Jay Cutler.

giantsforce
12-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Or Cutler.or Vick.

Drez
12-10-2012, 02:24 PM
There is no way in hell that Eli was the most pressured QB in the NFL this and last year. Thats just lunacy. Yes, our O line wasn't our strength, but it certainly wasn't the worst in football. Ask Jay Cutler.
You might want to rethink that: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/

a (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/)nd:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/03/no-8-eli-manning-qb-new-york-giants/

Redeyejedi
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
And he hasn't been an "aweful player" the last 2 years.He has been bottom 5 starting Tackles in the NFL

TheEnigma
12-10-2012, 03:22 PM
You might want to rethink that: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/

a (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/)nd:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/03/no-8-eli-manning-qb-new-york-giants/

MS doesn't care for PFF and believes that you can't rank offensive lineman individually. I've already tried showing him that stuff.

Drez
12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
MS doesn't care for PFF and believes that you can't rank offensive lineman individually. I've already tried showing him that stuff.
Either way, there it is that Eli was the most pressured QB in the NFL last season. If MS still doesn't want to believe it, that's on him. I won't be one to let the facts to get in the way of his opinions. Or will I? ;)

GMan-67
12-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Diehl brings his lunch pail everyday, you need guys like that, he is a very valuable player and he arguably played the toughest position during our 2 recent Super Bowl wins

i dont mind debates about whether he should start or not, but show some respect to one of our many Super Bowl heros

EliDaMANning
12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
MS doesn't care for PFF and believes that you can't rank offensive lineman individually. I've already tried showing him that stuff.He probably still carries a beeper around with him.

Cloud57
12-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Will Diehl will get abused by Abraham this week?

GFiP
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
The saints dline is terrible.. just wait for Diehl to face a decent pass rusher.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Everybody just stop hating on DD. He's not the player he was but he's a great guy to have on your team. he can play 3 different positions on the O line and he's proving extremely valuable right now.

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Everybody just stop hating on DD. He's not the player he was but he's a great guy to have on your team. he can play 3 different positions on the O line and he's proving extremely valuable right now.not until you stop hating on Eli...deal??

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
not until you stop hating on Eli...deal??
NEVER!!!!!!!

Branding matters.

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
NEVER!!!!!!!

Branding matters.ahh crap worth a shot.....

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 07:27 PM
ahh crap worth a shot.....
I'll make you a deal. When a poster says that DD is the best O tackle in the game...I'll get all over his ***.

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I'll make you a deal. When a poster says that DD is the best O tackle in the game...I'll get all over his ***.Fair enough..lol...but that will NEVER happen.

moosedrool
12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Everybody just stop hating on DD. He's not the player he was but he's a great guy to have on your team. he can play 3 different positions on the O line and he's proving extremely valuable right now.

Diehl the last 2 years has not been good at any position unless he is going against a mediocre player. Against a good DT or DE he is AWFUL. Speed rushers run by him laughing. Bull rushers knock him backwards like a rag doll.

He gave up 4 sacks in last years playoffs, and Eli is one of the best in the league at avoiding sacks.

Tmurda1984
12-10-2012, 09:44 PM
These fans are never going to give Diehl credit. Diehl had a great game last night and opened up some nice running lanes and pass protected very good. But to most fans we won in spite of Diehl, and Wilson was the second coming of Barry Sanders. Most of Wilson runs he was untouched through the second level, which showed off his homerun speed.

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
These fans are never going to give Diehl credit. Diehl had a great game last night and opened up some nice running lanes and pass protected very good. But to most fans we won in spite of Diehl, and Wilson was the second coming of Barry Sanders. Most of Wilson runs he was untouched through the second level, which showed off his homerun speed.People are not giving him credit for the last two years and rightfully so....

Antwuan
12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
David Diehl was solid yesterday.

Drez
12-10-2012, 11:25 PM
David Diehl was solid yesterday.
DD has actually played well the past two games. However, he's played like hot garbage the better part of 3 seasons now.