PDA

View Full Version : Eli is NOT an athlete

JamaarTaylor
12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Hear me out.

Im listening to The Herd this morning, when beloved guest Trent Dilfer gets on the scene. He starts talking about mobile QB's blah blah blah. The he specifically calls out Eli after prodded by Colin and says:

"I Believe Eli falls into that category of a player trying to play the athletic game, when we all know Eli just isn't an athlete"
.... "Eli and Flacco are two QB's who try to play a game they are not suited to, they aren't great athletes but they try and play the game, sometimes, like they are"

Are you serious Dilfer???? I'll take criticism of Eli all day, but to say something just completely false is uncalled for. Eli doesnt try to play like hes RGIII. He knows hes not Mike Vick.... I mean what the hell Trent????

EliDaMANning
12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Problem with these analysts is that they get to talk too much nowadays. They don't get enough time to think before they speak anymore.

bigbluetribe
12-10-2012, 01:14 PM
to be honest its trent dilfer, who cares, dude has a ring bc of a defense not his play, credit him for playing as long as he did but he was far from successful

BigBlue1971
12-10-2012, 01:16 PM
to be honest its trent dilfer, who cares, dude has a ring bc of a defense not his play, credit him for playing as long as he did but he was far from successful

......and Eli is a better qb and athlete than he is!

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Who cares?

Rudyy
12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Okay..lol?

JamaarTaylor
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Who cares?

A lot of people care. That's why ESPN and ESPN radio are multi-million dollar operations.

JamaarTaylor
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Okay..lol?

Rudyy, you know Trent is just saying it for shock value. But, you must admit...its a pretty bad one.

Eli tries to play like a mobile QB? What??? LOL since when?

TAILGATIN'
12-10-2012, 01:36 PM
That means a lot coming from the Dilfer the Dilhole!!

CowboysSuck
12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Dilfer the schmilfer! He rarely has anything nice to say about the Giants...I dont get it. We even handed him a nice fat SB ring, and still no love for Big Blue.

Rusty192
12-10-2012, 01:40 PM
He looked pretty athletic when he ran and trucked Tramon Williams. lol

krygny
12-10-2012, 01:45 PM
How many of these mobile or "ultra-mobile" quarterbacks have won Super Bowls? Yeah, I know, they're exciting to watch and they make big plays from time to time, and sometimes they even go pretty far into the playoffs. But when a QB turns himself into a RB, he's still dressed like a QB and getting hit hurts.

FBomb
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Who cares?Another brilliantly simple and well phrased response

Rudyy
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Rudyy, you know Trent is just saying it for shock value. But, you must admit...its a pretty bad one.Eli tries to play like a mobile QB? What??? LOL since when?Doesnt really bother me if he's an athlete or not.

Mercury
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
You can't spell ATHELITE without E-L-I.:p

AllHailEli
12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Hear me out.

Im listening to The Herd this morning, when beloved guest Trent Dilfer gets on the scene. He starts talking about mobile QB's blah blah blah. The he specifically calls out Eli after prodded by Colin and says:

"I Believe Eli falls into that category of a player trying to play the athletic game, when we all know Eli just isn't an athlete"
.... "Eli and Flacco are two QB's who try to play a game they are not suited to, they aren't great athletes but they try and play the game, sometimes, like they are"

Are you serious Dilfer???? I'll take criticism of Eli all day, but to say something just completely false is uncalled for. Eli doesnt try to play like hes RGIII. He knows hes not Mike Vick.... I mean what the hell Trent????

I like Eli to keep doing what he's doing. Don't need him to play like RG3 or Vick or Roethlisberger and get hurt. Stay as much untouched as possible. I don't even remember Eli doing a QB sneak. I'm freaking fine with that. I just need him to be healthy. A healthy Eli gives us the best chance and beats anything he is not capable of doing.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Another brilliantly simple and well phrased response

We give these media heads way too much credit for having a clue. They exist to stir the pot and we buy into it most of the time.

G-MENBK
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Isn't one prerequisite in entering a sporting league is to..you know, be an athlete? Did he really say our 2X Super Bowl MVP is not an athlete?

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
You can't spell ATHELITE without E-L-I.:p

I...nevermind

TheEnigma
12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
He's not an athlete in the draft profile sense but then again, neither are Peyton, Brady, or Brees. As long as you are close to 6'0 and have a decent throwing arm, you have a chance in the NFL.

GentleGiant
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I literally told everybody this a time ago about espn. NONE of their people have any credentials.

Eric Mangini?
Herman Edwards?
Trent Dilfer?
etc

Really? The least they can do is bring people with at least ONE ring.

They have steve young, jerry rice, chris carter. And that's it.

At least nfl network has people with credentials.

Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, Marshal Faulk, Warren Sapp, Kurt Warner, Ladainian Tomlinson, Steve Mariuci(no rings but good in the playoffs), Eric Davis, Willie Miginest, and that's just off the top of my head.

AllHailEli
12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I literally told everybody this a time ago about espn. NONE of their people have any credentials.

Eric Mangini?
Herman Edwards?
Trent Dilfer?
etc

They have steve young, jerry rice, chris carter. And that's it.

At least nfl network has people with credentials.

Moral of the story: If you're a Jets head coach, chances are you'll end up in ESPN way before you're ready to retire coaching football. Can't wait for Rex Ryan to debate Skip Bayless. :)

Parademon
12-10-2012, 05:20 PM
To be fair, Eli is an athete, otherwise he wouldn't be playing professional football. What he isn't is as athetic as some of those QBs they mention & I'm fine with that. When Eli has to run for a 1st down, he does look like he's got 2 left ft & is not the most elegant when diving forward. Anyone remember him losing us a game vs the Eagles a few yrs ago when he fumbled going forward? Ugh!

FBomb
12-10-2012, 07:59 PM
To be fair, Eli is an athete, otherwise he wouldn't be playing professional football. What he isn't is as athetic as some of those QBs they mention & I'm fine with that. When Eli has to run for a 1st down, he does look like he's got 2 left ft & is not the most elegant when diving forward. Anyone remember him losing us a game vs the Eagles a few yrs ago when he fumbled going forward? Ugh!

Remember? Harooni nearly imploded!!!

speed3freak
12-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Dilfer is a moron.... Flacco was extremely athletic at Delaware, and he simply isn't tasked with these responsibilities in the NFL.

Morehead State
Remember? Harooni nearly imploded!!!
The real story here isn't whether or not Eli is athletic. The real story is the vitriol spewed at anyone in the media who dares to say anything that's not glowing about our boy.

To me its an interesting study in human behavior.

GameTime
Hear me out.

I heard that and Difer really didnt exaplin himself well. While he did say Eli is not the athelete that RG, Vick, Newton are. But when they he didnt really hesaid Eli plays like he is the athlete they are I dont think it came out right. He knows Eli doesnt try to run all the time etc.
I like Dilfer. I think his analsis' are good. Plus he doesnt take himslef too seriously and he knows the kind of QB he was.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I heard that and Difer really didnt exaplin himself well. While he did say Eli is not the athelete that RG, Vick, Newton are. But when they he didnt really hesaid Eli plays like he is the athlete they are I dont think it came out right. He knows Eli doesnt try to run all the time etc.
I like Dilfer. I think his analsis' are good. Plus he doesnt take himslef too seriously and he knows the kind of QB he was.
NO......He's a moron and a "dilhole" (whatever that is.)

Don't you see????? You cannot say these things on the public airways!!!!! You must bow and be thankful for Eli!!!!!

I did like "Dilfer Schmilfer" though.

Flip Empty
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Problem with these analysts is that they get to talk too much nowadays. They don't get enough time to think before they speak anymore.
They get paid to talk. It isn't a problem, it's a job description.

They're doing their job well if viewers deem it necessary to discuss things they've said on message boards.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
The real story here isn't whether or not Eli is athletic. The real story is the vitriol spewed at anyone in the media who dares to say anything that's not glowing about our boy.

To me its an interesting study in human behavior.

You might remember back to the time when our OLine was FEARED. O'Hara, Suebert, Diehl, Snee, McKenzie

Suebert, I believe it was, routinely made jokes about Eli's "athleticism" to include one about Eli not have any biceps when he was lifting weights.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
You might remember back to the time when out OLine was FEARED. O'Hara, Suebert, Diehl, Snee, McKenzie

Suebert, I believe it was, routinely made jokes about Eli's "athleticism" to include one about Eli not have any biceps when he was lifting weights.
Eli lifts weights?

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 08:16 PM
NO......He's a moron and a "dilhole" (whatever that is.)

Don't you see????? You cannot say these things on the public airways!!!!! You must bow and be thankful for Eli!!!!!

I did like "Dilfer Schmilfer" though.

I believe a "dillhole" is where they push the pickles through as they enter the jar.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Eli lifts weights?

I have heard he does, WITH the linemen, at least back then he did.

Morehead State
12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
I believe a "dillhole" is where they push the pickles through as they enter the jar.
So why is that a bad thing?

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 08:21 PM
So why is that a bad thing?

Beats me, plus this is a family site

arrjay
12-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Dilfer is a moron. Why do we care what he says one way or the other?

Rudyy
12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Eli lifts weights?Yeah, these http://s3.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/C92EDBCB.jpg

TroyArcher
12-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Dilfer is as dumb as he looks.

chasjay
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
But Eli has "athletic supporters" - I assume he has more than one, what with the wash cycle and all.

njg85m
12-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Coming from a guy who's QB play makes Mark Sanchez and Alex Smith look like first ballot hall of famers, his opinion SUUUUURE holds a lot of water....

In fact, using some of these moronic former players reasoning, only black QB's are even remotely "athletic" these days. Yes I said it.

Brady, Mannings, Brees, Rapistberger are all certainly NOT "athletes". Coverage of this league is just insane anymore.

Morehead State
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Coming from a guy who's QB play makes Mark Sanchez and Alex Smith look like first ballot hall of famers, his opinion SUUUUURE holds a lot of water....

In fact, using some of these moronic former players reasoning, only black QB's are even remotely "athletic" these days. Yes I said it.

Brady, Mannings, Brees, Rapistberger are all certainly NOT "athletes". Coverage of this league is just insane anymore.

So only guys who are top NFL level QB's can have an opinion?
I'd like to see your cred's in this regard.
So unless you are a better QB than Trent Dilfer, your statement is ridiculous.

rebelfan1966
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Much to do about nothing.... Eli is not athletic compared to other players..... but he is well equipped to play the QB position.

Morehead State
12-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Much to do about nothing.... Eli is not athletic compared to other players..... but he is well equipped to play the QB position.
Pretty much sums it up.

Manning
12-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Stop getting so defensive. Eli isn't a top athletic specimen. He however has the perfect build of a QB. Big and tall with enough weight to withstand the hits he absorbs. If called upon he can run for a few yards if the space is available. He isn't slow, but his acceleration is terrible. Eli is so good because of his build, mind, awareness, and poise. Those mask his athletic deficiencies. Look at the pics of him in the offseason, he honestly looks fat. But I've read it is on purpose so he can absorb the hits that he endures. Not all QBs need to be these all around athletes to be successful.

MattMeyerBud
12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Hear me out.

did he consider himself not an athlete?