PDA

View Full Version : Redzone problems and solution

sheepdip
12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I know we scored 50 + points (it was the Saints you know)

Redzone problems

Reason

Too pass happy and constantly putting ourselves in 3rd and 8 ish or long situations at this part of the field which favors defenses. The defenses only have to defend a smaller area and usually tighten up coverage's etc at this part of the field, with no fear of getting burned over the top etc. So completing a 3rd and 8 ish is not surprisingly difficult to expect.

Solution

Run the ball and not just once but twice, most teams that are efficient at this part of the field run the ball with Saints as 1 of few teams that actually pass.
I think we normally come out passing and throw in completion. This puts us in 2nd and 10 and forces us to run to make some yardage up to make 3rd down easier. So the defense assumes this as well and we end up getting 2 yards or so and bringing up this 3rd and 8 long distance.

Now what do think the % is completing a 3rd and 8 at this part of the field is ?? I seriously wonder. Now you wonder why our kicker is leading the league in scoring.

Solution run run and then pass or run again ?

We run the ball twice keep advancing and have shorter 3rd down situation which gives us more options and even run pass option.

if we start putting ourselves in 3rd and 5's or less, lets see how our redzone scoring changes.

This is assuming we get 2 or so yards a carry. I think we will get more then 2 if we commit to it.

I dont know maybe I dumb and dont know football but this seems like a pretty simple reason for our constant troubles. It all comes down to %'s and we are often in long 3rd down situations where it is asking for a lot to happen to score tds or convert first downs in this area.

We need to pound the ball down here. We have the FB and a tough inside runner in AB.

Cloud57
12-10-2012, 03:28 PM
why was bradshaw running to the left, he's slow and we end up losing yards

Kruunch
12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Kind of odd all this talk about our offensive woes considering we're #3 in the NFL in scoring this year.

2 points off from beating the Broncos for #2.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Kind of odd all this talk about our offensive woes considering we're #3 in the NFL in scoring this year.

I agree although if we can get the red zone issue under wraps, things would be better. I think we took a step in that direction against the Saints.

GentleGiant
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
The saints may suck on defense as a whole but they're one of the best redzone defenses in the league so I think the redzone problem is fixed.

Mercury
12-10-2012, 03:41 PM
I think it helps to start the drive in FG range. We should do that.

Kruunch
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree although if we can get the red zone issue under wraps, things would be better. I think we took a step in that direction against the Saints.

We're 2nd in red zone attempts and 6th in red zone TDs.

Our percentage hurts because we have so many red zone trips. I think there was a bit of a disconnect because of a couple of poor red zone games ... but by and large we're one of the top scoring teams in the NFL.

Drez
12-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Yet, heading into the game we were 22nd in RZ scoring efficiency.

Kruunch
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Yet, heading into the game we were 22nd in RZ scoring efficiency.

And we're currently 21st.

But efficiency doesn't mean squat if you're still scoring a ton (by and large). It's only telling in the really close games and you could make the reverse argument about our defense getting the stops between the 20s.

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I like the fact that we threw in the redzone yesterday...we got td's. If we go back to running the ball down there the same problems will come up. We have an elite qb just let him find the open guy and throw it in there.

Drez
12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
And we're currently 21st.

But efficiency doesn't mean squat if you're still scoring a ton (by and large). It's only telling in the really close games and you could make the reverse argument about our defense getting the stops between the 20s.
I don't care how many points we've scored, it still doesn't change the fact that we could be scoring even more (and likely have won another game or two) if our production was better.

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't care how many points we've scored, it still doesn't change the fact that we could be scoring even more (and likely have won another game or two) if our production was better.+1

Rudyy
12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Red zone "consistency" it should say. Yesterday's game should not be an example lol.

Drez
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I love these message boards. Just last week people were decrying the point that we run too much in the RZ. Now, this week it's we pass too much. However, this is an odd week to broach this subject... Weren't we 4/5 in the RZ this week?

Eliscruzzz
12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I love these message boards. Just last week people were decrying the point that we run too much in the RZ. Now, this week it's we pass too much. However, this is an odd week to broach this subject... Weren't we 4/5 in the RZ this week?very odd and I am not a big fan of running the ball when we get into the redzone. We just aren't a power running team anymore. This offense moves the ball best through Eli's arm.

Kruunch
12-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't care how many points we've scored, it still doesn't change the fact that we could be scoring even more (and likely have won another game or two) if our production was better.

I'd much rather score 50 points with a 51% red zone TD efficiency than 21 points with a 100% red zone TD efficiency.

Part of that number tells you how well your offense is doing between the 20s you know.

BTW the difference between 50% (we're currently at 51.85%) and 60% red zone TD efficiency is the different between being 25th and 5th in the league. And numbers wise, that means the 5th best team in the NFL scores one more TD per red zone trip every third game than we do.

Rankings are all well and good but the numbers say that the Giants are far better at scoring than the overwhelming majority of the league ... by quite a bit in fact.

Drez
12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd much rather score 50 points with a 51% red zone TD efficiency than 21 points with a 100% red zone TD efficiency.

Part of that number tells you how well your offense is doing between the 20s you know.

BTW the difference between 50% (we're currently at 51.85%) and 60% red zone TD efficiency is the different between being 25th and 5th in the league. And numbers wise, that means the 5th best team in the NFL scores one more TD per red zone trip every third game than we do.

Rankings are all well and good but the numbers say that the Giants are far better at scoring than the overwhelming majority of the league ... by quite a bit in fact.
And does any of that change the fact that if we scored more TDs in the RZ that we would be scoring even more? Would it change the fact that we would have had a better shot winning a couple of games had we come away with 7 points on some drives instead of 3?

Scoring one more TD in the RZ a game amounts to scoring 4 more points a game. By my count, 3 of the 5 games we've lost this season have been by 4 points or fewer...

Kruunch
12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
And does any of that change the fact that if we scored more TDs in the RZ that we would be scoring even more? Would it change the fact that we would have had a better shot winning a couple of games had we come away with 7 points on some drives instead of 3?

Scoring one more TD in the RZ a game amounts to scoring 4 more points a game. By my count, 3 of the 5 games we've lost this season have been by 4 points or fewer...

That's one more TD every THIRD game.

And as I stated, you can make the reverse argument that our defense needed to hold in those games and didn't ... on multiple occasions.

I understand what you're saying (more scoring always better) but I don't feel that it's a problem area for this team. Consistency, both on offense and defense has been this teams' Achilles' Heel in 2012.

AllHailEli
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
very odd and I am not a big fan of running the ball when we get into the redzone. We just aren't a power running team anymore. This offense moves the ball best through Eli's arm.

I agree. I've seen too many instances when the run got stuffed in the red zone and I just wanted Eli to throw the ball, but then it's already 3rd and long.

Drez
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
That's one more TD every THIRD game.

And as I stated, you can make the reverse argument that our defense needed to hold in those games and didn't ... on multiple occasions.

I understand what you're saying (more scoring always better) but I don't feel that it's a problem area for this team. Consistency, both on offense and defense has been this teams' Achilles' Heel in 2012.
Ooops. My bad. I missed that about the every 3 games.

How about this then, we need to be more consistent scoring TDs in the RZ?

fourth&forever
12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Hard to believe GWAT hasn't given his unabridged opinion on this.