PDA

View Full Version : ELI on cover of ESPN magazine...HOF Edition

keyofgmen
12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Personally, I don't think discussion should really start until the end, or near end, of a players career. So I won't argue either way. Article really mostly talks about his demeanor and ability to "forget", Meh...

TheAnalyst
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Bunch of Eli Magazines over the years:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3CGcwoC8CuZ8BaDpHDDIQKlZ8Os407 oOPGpHwIFj2zVpLJXcbUQhttps://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8nCHAXDqcqInF5KrB-n_jzvQ9nUoy5P4LbALMlKmU-p_PdL0ceghttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAme38qYm7azxvytAppQB2JsiJqLQAQ HuME_Ns5qEqXck3S9Ltlw

Can't find the new one.

Kruunch
12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732856/anonymous-voter-picks-sixteen-surefire-nfl-hall-famers-espn-magazine

ESPN puts Eli in the "one year away" category. Also in that category are Roflbergers, Adrian Petersen and Jared Allen.

For Eli, they are saying another SB appearance (win or lose).

I honestly think that mediocre stats alone (assuming he's playing for another 5 years) will ensure him a trip to Canton.

giantsfan420
12-11-2012, 05:09 PM
id agree with the "1 big yr away" if eli has a big year, which he will, he's a lock but conversely i agree with krunch where if he just has 5 yrs or so of avg play for him, he's a lock as well. dont think the writer realizes what elis stats will look like when alls said and done. the fact he hasnt missed a game is so huge concerning that.

Kruunch
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM
id agree with the "1 big yr away" if eli has a big year, which he will, he's a lock but conversely i agree with krunch where if he just has 5 yrs or so of avg play for him, he's a lock as well. dont think the writer realizes what elis stats will look like when alls said and done. the fact he hasnt missed a game is so huge concerning that.

Exactly ... Eli will most likely end his career with around 50k yards and 300+ TDs, Combined with 2 SB MVPs, he'll be a borderline first ballot guy.

G-Men4Supes
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732856/anonymous-voter-picks-sixteen-surefire-nfl-hall-famers-espn-magazine

ESPN puts Eli in the "one year away" category. Also in that category are Roflbergers, Adrian Petersen and Jared Allen.

For Eli, they are saying another SB appearance (win or lose).

I honestly think that mediocre stats alone (assuming he's playing for another 5 years) will ensure him a trip to Canton.

If you compare Eli to other HOF QBs, just looking at regular season value (going by Football Reference WAV), Eli clearly will merit induction with just two more season of career-average production after this season. As far as the postseason, he's already done enough. He doesn't have to reach a third SB when he's one of only eleven QBs to win two Super Bowls, and he's one of 5 QBs to win 2 SB MVPs (Starr, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, and Eli). A QB has won only 25 of the 46 SB MVPs handed out, and Eli has two of these.

Eliscruzzz
12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Bunch of Eli Magazines over the years:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3CGcwoC8CuZ8BaDpHDDIQKlZ8Os407 oOPGpHwIFj2zVpLJXcbUQhttps://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8nCHAXDqcqInF5KrB-n_jzvQ9nUoy5P4LbALMlKmU-p_PdL0ceghttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAme38qYm7azxvytAppQB2JsiJqLQAQ HuME_Ns5qEqXck3S9Ltlw

Can't find the new one.lol...is that vogue one for real???

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-11-2012, 05:45 PM
eli will be a hall of famer when it is all said and done,,he is too good a QB and his numbers will be there,,,plus his super bowl wins,,super bowl mvp's, and the competition in the form of other elite QB's he has beaten to attain these goals will loom large,,plus he has at least one more super bowl win in him I believe.

Toadofsteel
12-11-2012, 06:04 PM
The big thing is, he's outplayed Brady in the Big Game, twice. Brady is already considered a lock for HoF, so why shouldn't Eli?

AllHailEli
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
If Eli makes it to another Super Bowl, win or lose, will he be first ballot?

Hall of Fame
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
The big thing is, he's outplayed Brady in the Big Game, twice. Brady is already considered a lock for HoF, so why shouldn't Eli?
Wouldnt you think that has 80% to do with the other teams defense? We all can concede that Brady is a ten times better QB than Eli. So technically he didn't outplay Brady, it's that our defense limited Brady's ability to get it done. Better than Patriots defense did to Eli.

Hall of Fame
12-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Also Brady is a lock because he consistently has good games and hardly has a bad one. Eli often has bad games, this year especially.

BuffyBlueII
12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Wouldnt you think that has 80% to do with the other teams defense? We all can concede that Brady is a ten times better QB than Eli. So technically he didn't outplay Brady, it's that our defense limited Brady's ability to get it done. Better than Patriots defense did to Eli.

TOP in SuperBowl XLVI was almost 38 minutes for us. Eli Manning and NY Giants offense was the best defense on the field that day because Tom Brady was on the sidelines for almost 38 minutes.

BuffyBlueII
12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
The 2 SuperBowl MVPs, the playoff runs that got us there and the consecutive games streak are the main things that will make Eli Manning a 1st ballot HoFer.

Eliscruzzz
12-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Wouldnt you think that has 80% to do with the other teams defense? We all can concede that Brady is a ten times better QB than Eli. So technically he didn't outplay Brady, it's that our defense limited Brady's ability to get it done. Better than Patriots defense did to Eli.The Giants had the 27th ranked defense. Why is it that everyone is so quick to point out the defense when Eli played excellent that game. No one points out Tom Brady's defense in his first 3 SBs. That arguement is lame. Eli had had to drive down the field and score td's right?? In BOTH superbowls. Brady never drove his team down the field to score a td to win in any of his superbowls.

AllHailEli
12-11-2012, 06:40 PM
The 2 SuperBowl MVPs, the playoff runs that got us there and the consecutive games streak are the main things that will make Eli Manning a 1st ballot HoFer.

His postseason success is definitely stuff legends are made of!

BeatYale
12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Personally, I don't think discussion should really start until the end, or near end, of a players career. So I won't argue either way. Article really mostly talks about his demeanor and ability to "forget", Meh...

I doubt Eli even cares. He just wants to win games.

Hall of Fame
12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
The Giants had the 27th ranked defense. Why is it that everyone is so quick to point out the defense when Eli played excellent that game. No one points out Tom Brady's defense in his first 3 SBs. That arguement is lame. Eli had had to drive down the field and score td's right?? In BOTH superbowls. Brady never drove his team down the field to score a td to win in any of his superbowls.
But he does it just about every other game. During the 07 bowl our defense was a beast. Brady couldn't do squat.
He broke how many records that season? All of a sudden he couldn't do it in the bowl? Christ every time you looked at the score of a New England game that season they were always over 40 points.

Broadway Blue
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Eli is definitely going to the Hall of Fame the question is when

Eliscruzzz
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
But he does it just about every other game. During the 07 bowl our defense was a beast. Brady couldn't do squat.
He broke how many records that season? All of a sudden he couldn't do it in the bowl? Christ every time you looked at the score of a New England game that season they were always over 40 points.What does that have to do with the superbowl??? Plus if you remember they struggled during the playoffs that year. They were not putting up 40 points. They almost lost to the Chargers. If LT and Rivers weren't hurt they would have lost.

ebick
12-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Also Brady is a lock because he consistently has good games and hardly has a bad one. Eli often has bad games, this year especially.

Also, the Patriots have been a solid team that rarely misses the playoffs during his watch. Have they ever had a losing season under Brady?

Rusty192
12-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Also, the Patriots have been a solid team that rarely misses the playoffs during his watch. Have they ever had a losing season under Brady?Has Eli ever had a losing season?

BuffyBlueII
12-11-2012, 06:59 PM
He broke how many records that season? All of a sudden he couldn't do it in the bowl? Christ every time you looked at the score of a New England game that season they were always over 40 points.

Opening the game with the longest drive in SuperBowl history had a lot to do with NE Patriots not scoring till 2nd quarter and helped dictate the tempo of the game.

AllHailEli
12-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Also, the Patriots have been a solid team that rarely misses the playoffs during his watch. Have they ever had a losing season under Brady?

Too bad twice Eli robbed him of being the GOAT, none more devastating than their bid for perfection :). It was the greatest game ever played, and I'm glad we're on the winning side of it!

Eliscruzzz
12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
When Eli is done he will get in there no question, He probably had two of the toughest playoff runs that any quarterback had to go through and his stats will be crazy good when he gets done except for the ints. but there are already a ton of guys in the HOF with a ton of ints. to. That is the only knock on Eli is the ints. People are bring up he's not consistent not true. Go look at his stats year to year. He is a 25-30 td and 10-15 int. guy.

Eliscruzzz
12-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Also, the Patriots have been a solid team that rarely misses the playoffs during his watch. Have they ever had a losing season under Brady?Your kidding me right, did you take the division Tom Brady plays in into account??? That's an automatic 6 wins right there.

TheAnalyst
12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Has Eli ever had a losing season?Rookie year, 1-7.

TheAnalyst
12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
If you compare Eli to other HOF QBs, just looking at regular season value (going by Football Reference WAV), Eli clearly will merit induction with just two more season of career-average production after this season. As far as the postseason, he's already done enough. He doesn't have to reach a third SB when he's one of only eleven QBs to win two Super Bowls, and he's one of 5 QBs to win 2 SB MVPs (Starr, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, and Eli). A QB has won only 25 of the 46 SB MVPs handed out, and Eli has two of these.Eh, its a completely different era. You have to compare him vs players now a days. Brady, his bro, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, ect. All the different rules. If Montana or Unitas played in this era, they would be monsterous. But I do see Aikman and Bradshaw making it basically only because of superbowl wins. Their stats are weak.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Wouldnt you think that has 80% to do with the other teams defense? We all can concede that Brady is a ten times better QB than Eli. So technically he didn't outplay Brady, it's that our defense limited Brady's ability to get it done. Better than Patriots defense did to Eli.No! We all cannot concede that Brady is 10x the QB as Eli is. DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME!!!!!

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Also Brady is a lock because he consistently has good games and hardly has a bad one. Eli often has bad games, this year especially.Look at the Division Brady plays in......COME ON MAN!

ashleymarie
12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Look at the Division Brady plays in......COME ON MAN!

^ This.

Hall of Fame
12-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Look at the Division Brady plays in......COME ON MAN!

I don't care what division he's in, he hardly if ever has bad games. Even Peyton sporadically has bad games.

Rudyy
12-11-2012, 10:20 PM
This whole "Eli is elite/not elite" and comparing him to quarterbacks debate needs to end.

Yes, there are quarterbacks who have better stats. Anyone who wants to argue that needs to get their "homer" glasses checked. There are some quarterbacks who have better stats, and some quarterbacks are just flat out better.
WHO CARES?

Eli has now proven you do not need flashy stats to win games, be a leader, be a tremendous football player, and win championships. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and all of those guys are great, good for them. He doesn't have to be like them in order to win championships. It needs to end. People aren't going to change their minds. Eli isn't going to change the way he plays. He's going to miss some guys, and he's going to make tremendous plays down the stretch and possibly win another Super Bowl. Stop crying over him all the time.

Hall of Fame
12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
This whole "Eli is elite/not elite" and comparing him to quarterbacks debate needs to end.

Yes, there are quarterbacks who have better stats. Anyone who wants to argue that needs to get their "homer" glasses checked. There are some quarterbacks who have better stats, and some quarterbacks are just flat out better.
WHO CARES?

Eli has now proven you do not need flashy stats to win games, be a leader, be a tremendous football player, and win championships. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and all of those guys are great, good for them. He doesn't have to be like them in order to win championships. It needs to end. People aren't going to change their minds. Eli isn't going to change the way he plays. He's going to miss some guys, and he's going to make tremendous plays down the stretch and possibly win another Super Bowl. Stop crying over him all the time.

I'm not crying.

Rudyy
12-11-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm not crying.I wasn't talking about you, just in general.

Rusty192
12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Rookie year, 1-7.LOL. yeah, playing seven games the whole season. And he wasn't 1-7.

Rusty192
12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
No! We all cannot concede that Brady is 10x the QB as Eli is. DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME!!!!!This guy does that a lot.

Rusty192
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM

WHO CARES?

-falls on deaf ears-

Rudyy
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
-falls on deaf ears-I AM RUDY, HEAR ME ROAR.

Hall of Fame
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I wasn't talking about you, just in general.

Oh I thought u were referring to my last post. I just hate when people are in denial about anyone being better than Eli. I love Eli, but Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are better QB's as far as consistency. Brady being the more consistent of the 2. He hardly has bad games. Peyton has some sprinkled in a season.
Peyton is a better at reading defenses, Brady is just a good decision maker for the most part. Eli is inconsistent most of the time, but gets hot when it counts. Just when I think Eli is getting out of that inconsistent funk, he digresses. Last year was a great season for him, but this season is a yo yo season for him. He shows signs of greatness and at others makes you want to pull your hair out. I'll tell you this, I wouldn't want anyone else behind center, we know what we got, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Die-Hard
12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Next completely pointless topic that hasn't been beaten into the ground ad nauseum...