PDA

View Full Version : So, is Randle in the dog house now?

titwio
12-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I've noticed the Giants are getting Jernigan more involved on offense now along with Hixon and Barden... (Barden not so much though) And since Randle muffed two punts last week it seems he lost his job on returns as well as playing time on offense.

Thoughts?

Eliscruzzz
12-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Probably, or maybe the just trust Hixon more handling the ball and running routes for Eli.

Cloud57
12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I've noticed the Giants are getting Jernigan more involved on offense now along with Hixon and Barden... (Barden not so much though) And since Randle muffed two punts last week it seems he lost his job on returns as well as playing time on offense.

Thoughts?probably in the dog house, we'll see him back in 2013 lol

BigBlueAllDay
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
So another draft pick in the doghouse and has to earn his way out of it....

Toadofsteel
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Probably just that Nicks and Hixon are both healthy for the first time in a while. Randle was always a backup this season.

The way I saw it, you had Nicks as your X receiver, Hixon as your Z, and Cruz as your slot. Then you had Barden as an "understudy" for Nicks, Randle for Hixon, and Jernigan for Cruz.

On top of that, I've seen a lot of 4 WR sets lately, with 2 slot receivers in. Jernigan lines up opposite Cruz in such situations...

titwio
12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Probably, or maybe the just trust Hixon more handling the ball.

I guess so now after the fact he muffed those punts. Had he not he'd likely still have his job.

I'm kind of asking this question cause of the way Wilson was handled. Is Coughlin doing this to stay consistent with his merits or to show Wilson that he wasn't the only one being made an example of? Either way Randle was definitely seeing more time on the field before the last game against the Saints.

titwio
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
On top of that, I've seen a lot of 4 WR sets lately, with 2 slot receivers in. Jernigan lines up opposite Cruz in such situations...

I re-watched the game a couple of times and noticed they had Jernigan lined up in the slot and Nicks and Cruz on the outside a few times. Makes me wonder that they don't have too much confidence in the other receivers (Hixon, Randle, Barden) getting open enough on the outside.

But I guess that might be for another thread..lol

RoanokeFan
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Thoughts?

Hixon is the # 3 receiver behind Nicks and Cruz. When those three are playing, the availability for everyone else is greatly reduced. It's probably not a coincidence that Hixon was the punt returner after Randle muffed two punts in the previous game. I'd wait for the snap counts to be posted before making any assumptions.

TheEnigma
12-11-2012, 05:53 PM
My guess is that since we are sort of entering an early playoff mode with a such tight division race, we are going with the more proven veteran in Hixon vs Randle. I doubt we would of seen as much Wilson at RB against the Saints if Andre Brown wasn't injured.

So the way I assume Coughlin sees it...we can afford to have Randle sit on the bench and not cost us with mistakes of inexperience because of our depth at the position while Wilson has to step up now since he is #2nd in terms of playbook knowledge of our RBs.

GameTime
12-11-2012, 05:57 PM
got to get them all in sync with Eli.

play them all

AllHailEli
12-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Maybe because of this -- 3rd to the last paragraph?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

RoanokeFan
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe because of this -- 3rd to the last paragraph?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

I think it's safe to say Eli has a lot of confidence in Nicks, Cruz, and Hixon if only becasue of their tenure in his offense.

Flip Empty
12-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I'd wait for the snap counts to be posted before making any assumptions.
Nicks - 56 snaps
Cruz - 53 snaps
Hixon - 43 snaps
Barden - 4 snaps
Jernigan - 3 snaps
Randle - 1 snap

RoanokeFan
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Nicks - 56 snaps
Cruz - 53 snaps
Hixon - 43 snaps
Barden - 4 snaps
Jernigan - 3 snaps
Randle - 1 snap

I have to question Barden lol Otherwise it's looks about right especially when you factor in Bennett

FBomb
12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Those muffs could have been a lot worse. He's in for the long haul.

drewz
12-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I knew he blew a route on that last drive vs Washington

Tmurda1984
12-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I knew he blew a route on that last drive vs Washington

Lol I was about to say the same thing...this man messed up on several routes and muffed 2 punts against Washington. He deserves to be in the doghouse. Damn I wished we would of drafted TY Hilton, that dude is a beast.

nycisgreat
12-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Thoughts?

He should be. He is rarely on the same page with Eli. The guy run wrong routes to often and critical point in games.

RoanokeFan
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Those muffs could have been a lot worse. He's in for the long haul.

A LOT worse

gmen0820
12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Nicks - 56 snaps
Cruz - 53 snaps
Hixon - 43 snaps
Barden - 4 snaps
Jernigan - 3 snaps
Randle - 1 snapInteresting, I thought I saw Jernigan more than 3 times, but it seems pretty accurate.

Flip Empty
12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Interesting, I thought I saw Jernigan more than 3 times, but it seems pretty accurate.
Yep, you did - those were only their offensive snaps. Jernigan also received 10 snaps on ST.

egyptian420
12-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Forget about the muffs, he has't done Anything good on punt returns besides catch the ball....that's all he had going for himself, until ofcourse he screwed that up. Jerigan got more on that punt return than Randle has all year long fielding them. I'd keep Jernigan on punt return duties.

I still like Randle and think he could be a big time receiver in the future, but he's not really that good at returning punts, he doesn't have that speed and explosiveness that I see from guys like Jernigan and Wilson.

Cloud57
12-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Forget about the muffs, he has't done Anything good on punt returns besides catch the ball....that's all he had going for himself, until ofcourse he screwed that up. Jerigan got more on that punt return than Randle has all year long fielding them. I'd keep Jernigan on punt return duties.

I still like Randle and think he could be a big time receiver in the future, but he's not really that good at returning punts, he doesn't have that speed and explosiveness that I see from guys like Jernigan and Wilson.he's sloooow

Buddy333
12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
The thing about those muffed punts is that they happened in the Green Bay game and he was fielding punts the next game. So was it something that happened during practice last week?

RoanokeFan
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM

I still like Randle and think he could be a big time receiver in the future, but he's not really that good at returning punts, he doesn't have that speed and explosiveness that I see from guys like Jernigan and Wilson.

Hixon returned two punts on Sunday, not Jernigan. Jernigan did have one kick return for 60 yards.

Punt Return
PLAYERRETURNSFCYDS/RETLONGTD

Rueben Randle

Domenik Hixon

TOTAL

OPPONENTS TOTAL

Kick Returns
PLAYERRETURNSYDSYDS/RETLONGTD

David Wilson

Andre Brown

Martellus Bennett

Jim Cordle

Jerrel Jernigan

TOTAL

OPPONENTS TOTAL

RoanokeFan
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
The thing about those muffed punts is that they happened in the Green Bay game and he was fielding punts the next game. So was it something that happened during practice last week?

More likely TC not wanting to risk any muffs in the next three games. Hixon is more reliable and gains more yards per return

GiantRoc
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I think this shows we are officially in " Must Win" territory. With Hixon back he will get the snaps. A lot fewer mistakes from him over the rookie. Those muffs were huge mistakes. He also got way to close to a punt on the ground in that game. The cover team tried to push him into it looking for a turn over. Those mindless mistakes could kill us some time. Add the poor routes and that spells at least sleeping on the couch, if not the dog house.

JJC7301
12-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Probably, or maybe the just trust Hixon more handling the ball and running routes for Eli.
Hixon should have been one of the returners to begin with. He excelled at it back in 07 and 08 before his injuries.

Captain Chaos
12-12-2012, 06:21 AM
You never know!

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Hixon should have been one of the returners to begin with. He excelled at it back in 07 and 08 before his injuries.

Injuries to Nicks and Hixon made that almost impossible for a while.

Buddy333
12-12-2012, 07:30 AM
More likely TC not wanting to risk any muffs in the next three games. Hixon is more reliable and gains more yards per returnYeah but the very next week he did field punts and didn't muff any of them.

nycsportzfan
12-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Hey, u gotta produce.. Theres rookies on every team playing major minutes, and if ur gonna play as a rookie, u gotta earn it and show u belong.. Randle has had his ups and downs this yr, and even getting called out by Victor Cruz at one point, and hopefully he'll learn, u shoulden't need players on ur team to motivate u wk in and wk out.. It don't take much for a young guy to find himself in the doghouse on this team, when playing a offensive skilled positon..

Look at David Wilson, he went behind a journey man, injury prone, former 4th rder for wks and wks, before Brown got hurt, which opened up another oppurtunity for Wilson 2 show himself.. When ur a skilled positon player on the GIANTS< u better come to play wk in and wk out and not F up to often, because u will find urself on the bench...

45Jones
12-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Mario Manningham didn't make much of an impression in his first season, but things worked out pretty well there. Patience grasshopper.

Buddy333
12-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Didn't Toomer have like 1 catch his rookie season?

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Yeah but the very next week he did field punts and didn't muff any of them.

They have been working with Hixon on returns since his ankle injury. This is clearly not a case of pushing Randle off the ledge, he's the future. But we don't see what goes on in practices and Hixon has always been a very dependable returner. Remember, it was Hixon's record Wilson just broke. Randle muffed two punts that didn't cost us anything. If I'm TC, I could easily see myself wanting to hedge my bets for what he sees as the most important three game series of the season.

According to TC, Hixon is getting about two more yards per return than Randle and he is sure handed.