PDA

View Full Version : Osi: When NYG At Their Best, Nobody Better

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 06:35 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...-nobody-better (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/20503/osi-when-nyg-at-their-best-nobody-better)

Excerpt: "Osi Umenyiora knows how good the New England Patriots (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots) looked on Monday night after dismantling the Houston Texans (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/hou/houston-texans).

The defensive end also knows the Giants will need to play some of their best football to beat the NFC's best team, the Falcons, in Atlanta this weekend. But if the Giants are playing at their best, Umenyiora feels nobody is better.

"They [the Patriots] are playing the best right now," Umenyiora said when asked if he thinks the Patriots are the best team on The Michael Kay show on ESPN New York 98.7. "But honestly, when the Giants are playing our best, there is no question we are the best team in football." Read more...

Cool Papa B.
12-12-2012, 07:16 AM
He's right. When this teampays attention to details and brings their "A" game, they can beat any team in the NFL. I just wonder why they don't bring it more often.

Buddy333
12-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Ok Osi so when is it owing to happen? Now would be a great time for Tuck and Osi o start sacking the QB again and not like the one Osi had in garbage time.

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 07:59 AM
He's right. When this teampays attention to details and brings their "A" game, they can beat any team in the NFL. I just wonder why they don't bring it more often.

+1

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Ok Osi so when is it owing to happen? Now would be a great time for Tuck and Osi o start sacking the QB again and not like the one Osi had in garbage time.

Sacks are great, statistically. But pressure is by far the more important factor in disrupting an offense. We have proven that in the number of intereceptoin s we have gotten. Pressure makes the QB do things he doesn't intend on doing. Sacking the QB just puts him on his *** (unles you create a fumble and recover it). I'd rather let Stevie Brown & Co. go after the errant passes myself.

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Reads like Osi is channeling his inner Madden.

When we score more points than the other team, we can beat anyone.

Buddy333
12-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Sacks are great, statistically. But pressure is by far the more important factor in disrupting an offense. We have proven that in the number of intereceptoin s we have gotten. Pressure makes the QB do things he doesn't intend on doing. Sacking the QB just puts him on his *** (unles you create a fumble and recover it). I'd rather let Stevie Brown & Co. go after the errant passes myself.Yeah, but it looked more like Brees forcing than the defense pressuring him the other day. Also, a sack or to will make a little more uncomfortable and also make him hurry his throws.

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah, but it looked more like Brees forcing than the defense pressuring him the other day. Also, a sack or to will make a little more uncomfortable and also make him hurry his throws.

According to PFF Brees was pressured on 18 of his 44 drop backs. Almost 50 %

embeshAtYa
12-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Osi sucks

Buddy333
12-12-2012, 08:11 AM
It didn't seem like that much. There was a play where Tuck blasted him but he didn't seem like he was being rushed that much.

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 08:42 AM
According to PFF Brees was pressured on 18 of his 44 drop backs. Almost 50 %

PFF is horrible with their judgment stats. Brees wasn't pressured anywhere near 45% of his drop backs.

Tremendously bad website to quote stats from.

BigBlueOnes
12-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Sacks are great, statistically. But pressure is by far the more important factor in disrupting an offense. We have proven that in the number of intereceptoin s we have gotten. Pressure makes the QB do things he doesn't intend on doing. Sacking the QB just puts him on his *** (unles you create a fumble and recover it). I'd rather let Stevie Brown & Co. go after the errant passes myself.

Is that right? Did you see the Texans put Brady on his *** repeatedly and hit him over and over Monday night? Brady still shredded them. So I would argue I'd rather sack the damn quarterback than have him complete the pass under pressure. I will say Brady looked tougher Monday night than when we hit him in the past.

Antwuan
12-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Good Response By Osi!

joemorrisforprez
12-12-2012, 09:38 AM

I'm starting to get the opinion that the senior guys on defense - like Tuck and Osi - sandbag it a little in games they know they don't need to win. And then, when they get backed up (e.g., Green Bay, Saints), they fire up.

Again, I could be totally wrong.....but in Osi's case especially, I think so. Look at last year, for example.....when they really needed him, it was "Classic Osi". But in the "throwaway" games, he was the invisible man.

So, I think it's almost going to be a nod-nod-wink-wink deal with the defensive line.....they are going to look at the calendar, see Redskins and Dallas on their ***, and say, "let's crank this up and nail down the division."

GameTime
12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Is that right? Did you see the Texans put Brady on his *** repeatedly and hit him over and over Monday night? Brady still shredded them. So I would argue I'd rather sack the damn quarterback than have him complete the pass under pressure. I will say Brady looked tougher Monday night than when we hit him in the past.
most great QBs shred blitzes and man to man coverage. They may get hit but more times than not they make the plays.

GameTime
12-12-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm starting to get the opinion that the senior guys on defense - like Tuck and Osi - sandbag it a little in games they know they don't need to win. And then, when they get backed up (e.g., Green Bay, Saints), they fire up.

Again, I could be totally wrong.....but in Osi's case especially, I think so. Look at last year, for example.....when they really needed him, it was "Classic Osi". But in the "throwaway" games, he was the invisible man.
sandbagging may be a bit harsh. But they do seem to come up big when it really matters the most. Like they are conserving their energy. Gets annoying....

TheAnalyst
12-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Im tired of people ragging Osi and Tuck, and calling their sacks "luck" or "in garbage time". Osi was consistantly double and even once I saw a triple team on him. Tuck gets bumped a ton from a TE or RB. Are they in their primes? No. But they are still providing us with a threat, even if they dont get to the QB, they give the opportunity for someone else to.

I see them coming on strong again down the stretch. Wish we could see more Tracy though to see what we have in the future with him.