PDA

View Full Version : What is your least favorite Giant play?

joemorrisforprez
12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
For me, it has to be the delayed draw. I assume the defense can spot it as easily as I can.

My son's first words were, "delayed draw coming up."

Maybe it's just me....I know they've sometimes had some success with the play....I remember Andre Ware scored on a 2 pt conversion on it once.

But nothing infuriates me more than watching that play go for 2 yards.

bg79
12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
It's the draw play that drives me nuts but a close second is the bomb on 3rd and short.

yo-ho
12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I think it has more to do with the people executing this play. Tiki Barber, Dave Meggett, and Tony Galbreath made a living on that play for the Giants. Bradshaw is either not quick enough or doesn't have the vision to see where the hole will be. Either that, or the linebackers are hanging around the middle because we never throw passes to the flat.

Rudyy
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
It's definitely the draw and the fade route is creeping up there.

Moke
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
For me, it has to be the delayed draw. I assume the defense can spot it as easily as I can.

Maybe it's just me....I know they've sometimes had some success with the play....I remember Andre Ware scored on a 2 pt conversion on it once.

I like the delayed draw a lot more than I actually like the quick draw. I believe we scored and gained yards on a lot of those delayed draws.

My least favorite part has to be the outside RB screens. They never seem to work. The short pass RB screens in the middle (when Eli flicks the ball) are actually the good ones.

EliIsTheBaas
12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't mind the power draw so much. Patriots run it a ton as well with Mankins pulling as we do with Snee. I do believe it got a key first down in the SB IIRC. Fade to Nicks is up there right now, as always is the bomb and 3rd and inches.

Toadofsteel
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Deep throws on third and short...

ImElectric2
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Anyone that doesn't say shotgun draw doesn't watch this team...

Toadofsteel
12-12-2012, 12:00 PM

I'm sorry, but the shotgun draw doesn't annoy me as much as the deep passes on 3rd and short. At least a shotgun draw has a chance of converting as long as it's not 3rd and forever. Eli's deep passes are a low completion % and often get picked...

TrueBlue@NYC
12-12-2012, 12:01 PM

The shotgun draw works a ton for this offense, it's why the play has been a staple for a while now.

Just using the play a couple of times a game, even when it doesn't get big yard, slows the LBers from dropping into coverage and we usually PA from it once a game for a big play.

And half the time we run out of the shotgun it's not even a true "draw" play, it's just a running play out of the formation.

Rudyy
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
The shotgun draw works a ton for this offense, it's why the play has been a staple for a while now.

Just using the play a couple of times a game, even when it doesn't get big yard, slows the LBers from dropping into coverage and we usually PA from it once a game for a big play.

And half the time we run out of the shotgun it's not even a true "draw" play, it's just a running play out of the formation.It does?

Gmenbroinlaw
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Any running play on 3rd and 20....

drewz
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
The shotgun draw pissed me off with DJ Ware, doesn't really bother me with Bradshaw, Brown or any other RB this year.

The corner fade route in the endzone was pissing me off, but Hixon was able to pull one in last week.

ImElectric2
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
When I, a fan who just sees the team play for 3 hours a week aka not studying film, can correctly call when the shotgun draw is coming that's a problem. Predictable and overly used. Agreed on bombs when its 3rd and short, but the thread wasn't titled "plays/routes you'd like the team to utilize". That answer would be "the slant".

twinlakes91
12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Nothing agrivates me MORE than on a 3rd and 8,,having the receiver pull up his route about 3 yards shy of the marker and make the catch, only to be short of the first down !!!! For goodness sake,,,RUN BEYOND THE FIRST DOWN MARKER !:mad::mad:

GameTime
12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
the ones that dont work and make me punch the wall......

sheepdip
12-12-2012, 12:15 PM
THE WIDE RECEIVER SCREEN THAT NEVER YIELDS A YARD, Actually it looses yards or we fail to convert it.

OrangeGiant
12-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Running the ball on 2nd and 10, every time. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing in general, just don't do it every time!!

Rudyy
12-12-2012, 12:20 PM
The worst is "run run pass, run run pass".
We started doing that in the second half against the Redskins. I was ready to throw my laptop against the wall.

jimsgints
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I like the delayed draw a lot more than I actually like the quick draw. I believe we scored and gained yards on a lot of those delayed draws.

My least favorite part has to be the outside RB screens. They never seem to work. The short pass RB screens in the middle (when Eli flicks the ball) are actually the good ones. This one for me too.

GameTime
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
I hate when any team does this.....3 and 8 and throw for 3 yards to a reciever who is blanketed anyway. Dont throw it at all.......

YATittle1962
12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
did you guys hate the draw when Derrick Ward killed the Panthers with it multiple times in the game for #1 seed in '08

did you hate it when it converted multiple 2 pt conversions last season ?

don't hate the play ...hate the players that don't execute it

GameTime
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
did you guys hate the draw when Derrick Ward killed the Panthers with it multiple times in the game for #1 seed in '08

its all KG fault when the plays dont work.....thats a well known "fact"....

BuffyBlueII
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
It's definitely the draw and the fade route is creeping up there.

+1

ImElectric2
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
It definitely has its moments and its place, don't get me wrong, Y.A. But you have to admit its severely overused. I am pleasantly surprised to see us actually using playaction off of it now. I swore last year we were gonna take advantage of that in the playoffs and if memory serves we only attempted PA off it once. Wilson seemed to run it VERY effectively in college. This could be another breakout week for him with Bradshaw out and the shotgun draw accounting for 45% of our rushing attempts (sarcasm only slightly applied as I do think Wilson can be very effective off it in the NFL).

Rudyy
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the draw is executed, it's just an extremely predictable play call.

BuffyBlueII
12-12-2012, 12:30 PM

The predictability of the play has a lot to do with it’s lack of high percentage effectiveness.

GameTime
12-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I still like the fade. When Eli puts it up and I usually confident it will get the TD.....

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't have a least favorite play, rather I have least favorite timing of a play ...

1st and goal, guaranteed fade (75% chance to the left side).

2nd and 10, guaranteed run (if we missed on a pass play on first down).

3rd and 18, guaranteed shotgun draw.

3rd and 2, 100% go route on the right side if single man coverage.

2nd and goal, 85% chance of shotgun / delayed draw.

Least favorite play we don't run anymore: 1st and 10 play action go seam (I think we've connected on it once ever ... but it took us 4 years to remove it from the playbook).

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I still like the fade. When Eli puts it up and I usually confident it will get the TD.....

I'd like to see them mix in the back shoulder fade in the red zone since we run a regular fade A LOT. We've done it once or twice this year to good effect.

Ruttiger711
12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
The corner fade was a given in any game and Philly was waiting for it and got the int early this year. During the "slump" I don't think the fade was attempted once... Then it came back against Washington with misses to Nicks and now back in a successful way w the Hixon TD last week. Live by it die by it - love it when it works, looks "predictable" when it doesn't.

Gimaniac
12-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd like to see them mix in the back shoulder fade in the red zone since we run a regular fade A LOT. We've done it once or twice this year to good effect.

Love the back shoulder, hate the fade in the (fill in your favorite color) zone.

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Live by it die by it - love it when it works, looks "predictable" when it doesn't.

When run correctly, it's not defensible. Hence why we use it so often.

gumby74
12-12-2012, 01:52 PM
3rd and short. Go deep.

Toadofsteel
12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
When run correctly, it's not defensible. Hence why we use it so often.

You would think you can just leave a guy in each corner playing a goal line version of zone...

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 02:40 PM
You would think you can just leave a guy in each corner playing a goal line version of zone...

Then every curl, comebacker and button hook would be a TD.

dsd28
12-12-2012, 02:42 PM
without the bomb on 3rd and short, we never would have had the greatest play in superbowl history (tyree helmet catch). just sayin :p

jax5338
12-12-2012, 04:25 PM

The problem I have with it is that they run it so often, it is very predictable to assume it is coming in a given situation and it makes execution that much harder.

That is my main gripe with Gilbride. I don't hate him and think he has some very good offensive playcalls, but he uses the same ones in the same situations and the results are typically not favorable.

Yea, they have to execute but if we as fans know what's coming all the time then opposing defenses and coaches most certainly do and that has to make execution a lot harder. Gotta try to catch them off guard more often IMO.

Evo'Ed
12-12-2012, 05:47 PM
The back shoulder passes to Hakeem have been one of the worst plays this year IMO.

Such a staple play previously but hopefully just a timing issue with Hakeem being out so often.

egyptian420
12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Even though the shotgun draw has worked before, including last game, it still isn't the best choice of plays when our entire fan base knows exactly when it's coming.

sharick88
12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
The shotgun draw inside the red zone. Never works for us at all. LOL

giantsacks
12-12-2012, 08:01 PM
#1 the friggn shotgun draw on 3rd n 10+ #2 the deep ball on 3rd and 1-5 yards

jomo
12-12-2012, 08:22 PM

don't hate the play ...hate the players that don't execute itWard went over 200 yards that night didn't he?

Drez
12-12-2012, 08:32 PM
We started doing that in the second half against the Redskins. I was ready to throw my laptop against the wall.
We did that twice against the Redskins in the second half, and one of those times was a called pass that Eli scrambled on. They resulted in a 3-5 and a 3-4.

JJC7301
12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Can't stand when they run the ol' Statue of Liberty play.

rtr1105
12-12-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree with you on the shotgun draw. Okay it's 3rd and 8, wait a second and give it to the HB up the middle. It's funny because everytime it actually works my dad and I say to each other "the play finally worked!" Yes, we refer to it as "the play."

fizzlesticks
12-12-2012, 10:20 PM
It's gotta be the punt with field goal just behind it.

JB456
12-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Deep throws on third and short...

It feels like the Giants pull this shat at least 2x a game. It makes me want to punch a toddler who is holding a puppy in one arm and a kitten in the other...

giantsforce
12-12-2012, 10:45 PM
We started doing that in the second half against the Redskins. I was ready to throw my laptop against the wall.Especially when we get inside the 30! No wonder we cannot score. Even one of the opponents had said "good thing they run it twice as we expected them to do" or something to that effect. Anyone who has watched more than 3 Giants games will be able to figure out the play calling inside the 30. Only Coughlin and Killdrive are oblivious to it.

Cloud57
12-12-2012, 10:58 PM
a field goal.

nycisgreat
12-12-2012, 11:00 PM

WR screen to an unhealthy Nicks, SUCKS!!

Buddy333
12-12-2012, 11:08 PM
The holding penalty. I really don't like that one.

DarkSaint
12-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Corner fade after 2 futile attempts to run it in.

GMENAGAIN
12-12-2012, 11:16 PM
The fade . . . .so predictable and seems to get nearly picked off 70% of the time . . .

gmen0820
12-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Can't say I'm a huge fan of that little direct snap. A little too cute for me.

mike kennedy
12-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Not too fond of 3rd and long with a 4 yard pass.

bearbryant
12-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't have a least favorite play, rather I have least favorite timing of a play ...

1st and goal, guaranteed fade (75% chance to the left side).

2nd and 10, guaranteed run (if we missed on a pass play on first down).

3rd and 18, guaranteed shotgun draw.

3rd and 2, 100% go route on the right side if single man coverage.

2nd and goal, 85% chance of shotgun / delayed draw.

Least favorite play we don't run anymore: 1st and 10 play action go seam (I think we've connected on it once ever ... but it took us 4 years to remove it from the playbook).

This is always my beef, its the timing of the play not only the play. After an opponent watches our tape, do you think they are laughing about the consistent nature of our routine or they shake their head and wonder: "and they won 2 SB's with this stuff"?
I remember Steve Smith running a stop and go, quick hook, out of the slot that left the DB looking for his jock, think iot was Dallas. I'd love to see Cruz throw that at samuels this Sunday. Go Giants!

dave56dj
12-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Hating the draw cause you can see it coming is sooo odd to me - it is one of the only ways to run from the gun other then a pitch - it doesnt take a genius to predict the play -hell if they do run you are gonna be right 90 percent of the time as they have added the pitch here and there as well, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be easy to stop because generally you have spread the d out and maybe taken a backer off the field. Its about the macthup not the suprise - although the giants throw from the gun far more then they run draws - so it actually is surprise as well. As much as it struggled last year the draw has been much better this year.

dave56dj
12-13-2012, 03:55 AM
The fade . . . .so predictable and seems to get nearly picked off 70% of the time . . .

Blatantly untrue.

dave56dj
12-13-2012, 03:58 AM
It feels like the Giants pull this shat at least 2x a game. It makes me want to punch a toddler who is holding a puppy in one arm and a kitten in the other...

another odd thought - you realize on third and short many teams press at the line or bracket tight zones to take away short throws so eli has to look elsewhere and that often means taking a chance downfield - fans are so funny - "look its 3rd and 4 just get 4." as if the defense isn't DEFENDING against that.

dave56dj
12-13-2012, 04:01 AM
I hate when any team does this.....3 and 8 and throw for 3 yards to a reciever who is blanketed anyway. Dont throw it at all.......

SO take the sack? Again fans are so odd - its probably not his first option but the DEFENSE is paid to defend and occasionally do it well enough where Eli has no other option - but i'd rather he make the throw and hope the player can make a special move rather then get hit - but i guess have it your way and have eli take the sack.

GiantRoc
12-13-2012, 04:06 AM
My least favorite play is definately the shotgun delay on 2nd and 10, (or longer). It may have been a great play back in the day, but this team just does not execute this play with any regularity.

EnragedYouth85
12-13-2012, 04:09 AM
My least favorite play is definately the shotgun delay on 2nd and 10, (or longer). It may have been a great play back in the day, but this team just does not execute this play with any regularity.

Defensive speed.. they can recover from being faked out with the pass pretty quickly now a days..

Captain Chaos
12-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I dislike the 3rd and 5 to 7 yds and we run a slant short of the marker hoping the YAK to get us there...

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Blatantly untrue.

Watch a game

Drez
12-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Watch a game
And it still is blatantly untrue.

I don't have all the tape available to me, but if I were to venture a guess the success rate of that play probably goes something like this:

Incomplete: 60%
Touchdown: 35%
Interception: 5%

For a corner fade to get picked one of 3 things has to happen, the receiver has to run the wrong route or the DB has to make a SPECTACULAR play on the ball, or the throw itself has to be piss poor.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 06:27 AM
The short routes behind the first down marker on 3rd down.

JB456
12-13-2012, 10:32 AM
another odd thought - you realize on third and short many teams press at the line or bracket tight zones to take away short throws so eli has to look elsewhere and that often means taking a chance downfield - fans are so funny - "look its 3rd and 4 just get 4." as if the defense isn't DEFENDING against that.

I understand that teams try to take away the short throws but how about the intermediate plays 6-15 yards? Everybody I speak to goes nuts when Eli tosses the ball 20+ yards on a 3rd and short. I don't even care if its a completion. You can't deny that the longer the pass, the lower the probability of making it. I would assume that the objective is to extend the drive and score more points.

Now, if this was an occasional play, I wouldn't have even said anything but this happens all the time. Its gotten to a point where opposing teams must be ready for it.

YATittle1962
12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
The short routes behind the first down marker on 3rd down.

why ?

if every route was beyond the line to gain they would be much easier to defend because of traffic

you have to give your play makers a chance to make a play

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Watch a game

We've had an end zone fade picked once (under thrown), ever.

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
And it still is blatantly untrue.

I don't have all the tape available to me, but if I were to venture a guess the success rate of that play probably goes something like this:

Incomplete: 60%
Touchdown: 35%
Interception: 5%

For a corner fade to get picked one of 3 things has to happen, the receiver has to run the wrong route or the DB has to make a SPECTACULAR play on the ball, or the throw itself has to be piss poor.

Learn how to read . . . I didn't say that they get picked off 70% of the time. I said that they "seem to NEARLY get picked off 70% of the time"

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 11:42 AM
We've had an end zone fade picked once (under thrown), ever.

I said that they "seem to NEARLY get picked off 70% of the time"

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
I said that they "seem to NEARLY get picked off 70% of the time"

You could say that about every pass in the NFL.

Atomic1
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
The stretch play on 3rd and 1, where the back runs for 9 1/2 yards before crossing the line of scrimmage and comes up short. We never use the pitch or shovel pass and think we should.