PDA

View Full Version : A Look Back At The Giants' 52 - 27 Win Against Saints

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/a_look_back_at_the_giants_52-2.html

Excerpt: "The Giants entered Sunday’s game having never beatenDrew Brees. Moreover, the teams’ last two meetings had been lopsided Giants losses down in New Orleans.

“Personally, I was going for the gusto,” safety Antrel Rolleadmitted in his weekly WFAN Radio spot yesterday. “That was definitely a game where I was playing for get-back. I don’t care; I will be honest to say that. I didn’t like the way we went down there and embarrassed ourselves, and the way we let them embarrass us last year.”

The Giants took care of that with a decisive 52-27 win (http://nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_beat_saints_52-27_to_st.html) on their home turf Sunday evening.

Avenging past losses to the Saints wasn’t the most important thing the Giants did, though -- that was maintaining their lead atop the NFC East, as every other team in the division had won their 1 p.m. games by the time the Giants took the field.

The key now for the Giants is building on the positives from the performance and correcting the negatives, for the final three games of the season.

“My focus is going to the next one,” defensive end Justin Tuck said after the win. “I think (earlier in the season) we got kind of caught up in some of our big wins and came out and not played our best the next week. So for me personally, I’m already thinking about next week.”

THE STRONG SIDE

RB David Wilson. We have to start here, with what FB Henry Hynoski dubbed a “coming-out party” for the first-round draft pick (http://nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/politi_david_wilson_will_make.html). Wilson’s 227 kick return yards were the most by a 100-yard rusher in a game, per the NFL, and the three previous record holders are all in the Hall of Fame: Steve Van Buren, Gale Sayersand Walter Payton. Wilson showed off his speed, but perhaps more impressive? How he plowed Saints LB Jonathan Vilma in the hole, and got close enough to extend the ball across the goal line for his first rushing touchdown of the day. Later, he also lowered his shoulder on LB Curtis Lofton, forcing him off the field for a play or two. And QB Eli Manning told Wilson his best play was picking up a three-safety blitz on a play-action pass when he stayed in on pass protection.

Give credit to the kickoff return unit, too. The creases that Wilson had were excellent. On Wilson’s return touchdown, Hynoski was running upfield with Wilson, looking for someone to block, but couldn’t even find anyone. There was maybe one missed tackle by the Saints on that return, but truly, an official in the middle of the field was the person who had the best chance to stop him. When the Saints tried pop-up kicks to avoid Wilson, the Giants set up a nice return with Jerrel Jernigan. The wedge of Hynoski and Jim Cordle, who redeemed himself after a tough pair of holding calls last week, cleared out an opening for Jernigan, and S Will Hill had an excellent block on Elbert Mack that helped extend the play. The kickoff coverage units were also good, with nice stops by LBs Spencer Paysinger and Mark Herzlich.

Four takeaways. Per the FOX broadcast, the Saints had been the only team that had no lost fumbles on the road, but the Giants got two in the first quarter. Antrel “more dog” Rolle had a hand (literally) in three of the turnovers: He pounced on the first lost fumble, knocked the ball out of FB Jed Collins’ clutch on the second and appeared to get a hand up on the pass while covering TE Jimmy Graham to lead to Brees’ first interception. S Stevie Brown picked off that ball and also Brees’ second interception, an excellent play to break on a ball in the middle of the field to Graham from the Giants’ cover-2 shell.

WR Victor Cruz, the former undrafted free agent, topped 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He did it on a day when he caught eight of the nine passes Manning threw his way. He ran an excellent route on his 10-yard touchdown catch, planting inside then juking outside to separate from CB Patrick Robinson.

The offensive line -- with another lineup change this week, David Diehl back at right tackle -- kept Manning from getting sacked for the fifth time this season.

Pressure on Brees. I know some might disagree with this, and the Giants only had one sack to show for it, but I thought the Giants’ front was able to affect Brees in the pocket for most of the day. This is what Tuck was talking about when he referred to “keeping the quarterback’s feet hot.” By my count, the Giants pressured Brees -- chased him, got in his face or forced him to step up -- on about half of his 44 dropbacks Sunday, an impressive ratio." Read more...

dnotch121
12-12-2012, 12:54 PM
now can they do it again? i would love to see back to back BIG wins. is that too much to ask for as a fan?

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 01:11 PM
now can they do it again? i would love to see back to back BIG wins. is that too much to ask for as a fan?

It's to be expected

Rusty192
12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I thought the pressure was better on Sunday. We were actually moving the pocket backwards instead of just getting tossed around.

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I thought the pressure was better on Sunday. We were actually moving the pocket backwards instead of just getting tossed around.

Definitely better but nowhere near dominant.

Rusty192
12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Definitely better but nowhere near dominant.baby steps ;)

Kruunch
12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
baby steps ;)

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/TheBradfordExchangeOnline/replatformOverlays?layer=comp&wid=460&hei=460&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=76,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.5,2.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0&$collection_opac=99&$product_id=913748

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 03:10 PM

If Eli & Co. are clicking, better can be good enough

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/TheBradfordExchangeOnline/replatformOverlays?layer=comp&wid=460&hei=460&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=76,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.5,2.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0&$collection_opac=99&$product_id=913748

Cool

joemorrisforprez
12-12-2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/a_look_back_at_the_giants_52-2.html
WR Victor Cruz, the former undrafted free agent, topped 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He did it on a day when he caught eight of the nine passes Manning threw his way. He ran an excellent route on his 10-yard touchdown catch, planting inside then juking outside to separate from CB Patrick Robinson.

That play sticks out....I remember thinking to myself that route was basically undefendable in single coverage.

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
That play sticks out....I remember thinking to myself that route was basically undefendable in single coverage.

We clearly have the tools, we need the will

miked1958
12-12-2012, 04:31 PM
It's to be expectedGiants can send a HUGE message to the NFC this weekend by stomping out the Falcons in Atlanta. that should strike fear in the hearts of the GBs and SFs out there, who will be hoping and praying they dont draw us first or better yet that dallas or washington catches us and knocks us from the playoffs.

miked1958
12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
whats impressive is the young seconday. Brown, Hosley, Prince and Will Hill have all contributed in a big way and they can only get better with time

Rusty192
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
whats impressive is the young seconday. Brown, Hosley, Prince and Will Hill have all contributed in a big way and they can only get better with timeagreed mike. I'm hoping they can hold down the fort if Prince misses this game. We are remarkably lucky to have so much depth.

RoanokeFan
12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Giants can send a HUGE message to the NFC this weekend by stomping out the Falcons in Atlanta. that should strike fear in the hearts of the GBs and SFs out there, who will be hoping and praying they dont draw us first or better yet that dallas or washington catches us and knocks us from the playoffs.

No question about that

chasjay
12-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Giants can send a HUGE message to the NFC this weekend by stomping out the Falcons in Atlanta. that should strike fear in the hearts of the GBs and SFs out there, who will be hoping and praying they dont draw us first or better yet that dallas or washington catches us and knocks us from the playoffs.

I'm sure it has already been noted that a win over Atlanta would give us a victory over all three of the likely winners of the other Divisions. It would be really painful to miss the tournament with those skins on the wall.

tomt
12-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Agreed, better. It's a start. IMO, when they can pressure the qb with the front 4, it makes the LB's and DB"s look that much better. Here's hoping they respond in Atlanta with an inspired performance. Ryan, though younger than Brees, appears less mobile.

BigBlue1971
12-12-2012, 09:04 PM
the Giants played a good game last Sunday. i just hope they improve on that! and theres no reason why they shouldnt!

they are in the Falcons head already from that beatdown in the wild card last year!

this could be the start of an historic winning streak!

miked1958
12-13-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm sure it has already been noted that a win over Atlanta would give us a victory over all three of the likely winners of the other Divisions. It would be really painful to miss the tournament with those skins on the wall.yep. I don't even want to think about that happening. To many painful memories of 08 when in a 5 game span we played the final 4 of that season. We beat the steelers 21-14 but if you remember it was a game we dominated and had some crushing hits on them. Then we had a game against Dallas we 35-14. Then the third week we were back to punishing the 08 finalists beating the eagles 36-31. Following week we shut up ray Lewis and the tough ravens D by demolishing them 30-10. BJ first run was about 30 yards and he ran right over ray. The final week of that run was a 37-29 win over the Cards in a game that wasnt as close as the score. Now I realize its different then what your talking about in the sense that we made postseason that yr and were quickly knocked out (plax yr) but just the same it hurt to beat them all especially both SB teams

So in a year that we beat all 4 NFL finalists and finished with a 12-4 record we had nothing to show for it. This yr could be similar if we beat Atlanta and ravens

EnragedYouth85
12-13-2012, 02:51 AM

Agreed! Victor Cruz is pretty undefendable in single coverage period..

Captain Chaos
12-13-2012, 05:59 AM
If the G'men come back and whoop the Falcons then I think that we can say they are ready for the run. The thing that makes me feel good was the amount of pressure that we were able to put on Brees, do that to Ryan and they will win....