PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Says Eli comment misunderstood meant Eli was a funny guy

Harooni
12-13-2012, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e5liQSEIE

Captain Chaos
12-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Tiki is still trying to be relevant, unfortunately he is not!

Harooni
12-13-2012, 06:52 AM
actually he has a new job and he was a great Giant. Howard hit it right on the head fans were upset and felt he retired too early. and Tiki was not a homer and gave his honest opinion. Like it or not Tiki will be around he is a really smart articulate guy.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 07:14 AM
I was thinking I can book Tiki for $1000 to go to a giants game with me!!!! how cool is that to show up with Tiki on my arm.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 07:45 AM
I was thinking I can book Tiki for $1000 to go to a giants game with me!!!! how cool is that to show up with Tiki on my arm.

Or in your wallet :(

Harooni
12-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Or in your wallet :( Ahh its a bargain really I went to the website he will actually come out and coach you for $500. My son is in peewee football this would be so great.

chasjay
12-13-2012, 08:34 AM
actually he has a new job and he was a great Giant. Howard hit it right on the head fans were upset and felt he retired too early. and Tiki was not a homer and gave his honest opinion. Like it or not Tiki will be around he is a really smart articulate guy.

Tiki was a great player for the Giants. I'm not sure everyone believes that is the same as being a great Giant. I personally respect what Tiki did for the team on the field and hold no ill will, but I think he may be more of a "funny guy" than Eli. Hope you get your money's worth.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Ahh its a bargain really I went to the website he will actually come out and coach you for $500. My son is in peewee football this would be so great.

I truly admire your loyalty

BlueJayC
12-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Tiki was a great player for the Giants. I'm not sure everyone believes that is the same as being a great Giant. I personally respect what Tiki did for the team on the field and hold no ill will, but I think he may be more of a "funny guy" than Eli. Hope you get your money's worth.

Second this......probably the most talented Giants running back of all time.....but a "Great Giant"? Two completely different things.....I say nay to being a "Great Giant" but yes to being the best Giants running back on the field.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 09:42 AM

Tiki was a great player as a Giant. IMO he is not a great Giant. You say he was honest I say he said **** he didnt need to say much of the time. There is honesty and there is speaking without thinking. He blamed TC for taking the fun of the game away from him. **** that. Tiki is articulate but so what.....why is that a good thing?? That means squat about someone's character. He really blew it for me on my perception of him.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Tiki was a great player as a Giant. IMO he is not a great Giant. You say he was honest I say he said **** he didnt need to say much of the time. There is honesty and there is speaking without thinking. He blamed TC for taking the fun of the game away from him. **** that. Tiki is articulate but so what.....why is that a good thing?? That means squat about someone's character. He really blew it for me on my perception of him.

So are you saying other players didnt come out about TC??? I got news for you go read strahans book and speak to ex jag players. everything Tiki said was the truth, but because he wasnt a Homer Fans threw stones at him.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 09:52 AM
So are you saying other players didnt come out about TC??? I got news for you go read strahans book and speak to ex jag players. everything Tiki said was the truth, but because he wasnt a Homer Fans threw stones at him.
Truth is one thing. There is time for the truth and there is time to STFU. Tiki's ego is so ****ing huge it distorts his reality. Strahan has openly said he didnt like TC when he first came on. They he grew to love the guy.
Sorry Bro....I dont like Tiki. Great RB but I dont like him. BTW....he isn't the only football -player I dont like. I think LT is POS as a person too.....

Harooni
12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Tiki isnt a bad person, and either is LT. first off LT was set up but thats another story (sure he liked hookers who doesnt)

but as for Tiki dont you think a few little comments got blown up from sensitive fans??? and the media kept repeating those same comments. I do think that Tiki is a confident person and sometimes brash but it doesnt make him a bad person. hell some nfl players kill people and dogs and dont get vilified as Tiki was.

its time to realize he was a great Giant and has opinions of his own just like Simms.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 09:58 AM
going back on topic The story of Eli rejecting Tiki's shot naked was interesting and follows the theme that Eli is a jokester. and i remember some oline members stating the same thing.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Tiki isnt a bad person, and either is LT. first off LT was set up but thats another story (sure he liked hookers who doesnt)

but as for Tiki dont you think a few little comments got blown up from sensitive fans??? and the media kept repeating those same comments. I do think that Tiki is a confident person and sometimes brash but it doesnt make him a bad person. hell some nfl players kill people and dogs and dont get vilified as Tiki was.

its time to realize he was a great Giant and has opinions of his own just like Simms.
you have your opinion and I have mine......done deal

Harooni
12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
you have your opinion and I have mine......done deal thats fair. but lets be honest if Tiki came out and was a huge Homer and gushed over Eli and TC and was fake about it. You all would love him.

45Jones
12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Like it or not Tiki will be around he is a really smart articulate guy.

And if you don't believe that he will gladly come to your house for a couple of C-notes to convince you.

I read Strahan's book, and he was ready to kill Tiki for making public comments about Strahan's contract negotiations.

The thing that bugged me about Tiki during his playing days is that he way oversold the "I'm the smartest guy in the room and have a big life lined up after football" angle. Guys like George Martin and Harry Carson were every bit as sharp (much moreso IMO) in intelligence and they just went out and did stuff after football without trying to cram how smart they were down everyone's throat.

How did Tiki's career path to be hosting NBC Nightly news work out? :rolleyes:

nhpgiantsfan
12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Tiki was a great RB, but in my opinion it is no coincidence that they won the SB as soon as Eli and KG didn't feel the pressure to revolve the offense around #21.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:13 AM
thats fair. but lets be honest if Tiki came out and was a huge Homer and gushed over Eli and TC and was fake about it. You all would love him.
fake is fake......you can see through it. Honesty isnt always the best policy. His off the field BS has only fueled the negative fire for him. He has created his own mess.....

Harooni
12-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Tiki was a great RB, but in my opinion it is no coincidence that they won the SB as soon as Eli and KG didn't feel the pressure to revolve the offense around #21. we switched from hufnagle to gilbride after Tiki left.

FBomb
12-13-2012, 10:21 AM

I started a thread about this the other day, but it got moved. I guess YOUR thread about it is more Giants related than mine.

Anyway, in it, I suggested that we all chip in and give you the "bestest Christmas EVER". I wonder what Tiki would charge for a "butt hug"?

Harooni
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I started a thread about this the other day, but it got moved. I guess YOUR thread about it is more Giants related than mine.

Anyway, in it, I suggested that we all chip in and give you the "bestest Christmas EVER". I wonder what Tili would charge for a "butt hug"? i have better connections. hehe

Tip- its how you word your title. and lol thanks im seriously thinking $500 for a coaching lesson for my son.

I also wanted to Ad Howard stern is awesome, lol @ the sex questions and he seemed to really understand the situation and get that Tiki was unfairly vilified

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 10:24 AM
you have your opinion and I have mine......done deal
There is no way I could consider Tiki anything other than a great Giant. And with all of TC dislike of Tiki, it was Tiki's performance at the end of the 2006 season that most likely saved TC's job. As a Giants player...he was definitely a great Giant.

Having said that his behavior after his retirement has been deplorable. To me his worst moment was his comments about Eli. Its not that he knocked Eli only, but he betrayed locker room confidences to do it. And his general elevated opinion of himself and projecting the image that he seemed to think he was "to good" for the game. I mean...he actually thought that he was going to be the next Dan Rather for God's sake. And lets not even get into his well known behavior in his marraige.

So I choose to seperate the "football player" Tiki from the "arrogant human being" Tiki. As a football player, he was a great Giant. As a human being (really mostly after his football career) he's tarnished his legacy.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:32 AM
There is no way I could consider Tiki anything other than a great Giant. And with all of TC dislike of Tiki, it was Tiki's performance at the end of the 2006 season that most likely saved TC's job. As a Giants player...he was definitely a great Giant.

Having said that his behavior after his retirement has been deplorable. To me his worst moment was his comments about Eli. Its not that he knocked Eli only, but he betrayed locker room confidences to do it. And his general elevated opinion of himself and projecting the image that he seemed to think he was "to good" for the game. I mean...he actually thought that he was going to be the next Dan Rather for God's sake. And lets not even get into his well known behavior in his marraige.

So I choose to seperate the "football player" Tiki from the "arrogant human being" Tiki. As a football player, he was a great Giant. As a human being (really mostly after his football career) he's tarnished his legacy.

how is that separating the player form the game and how is that being a great Giant?? He was a very good football player for the Giants but he not a greeat Giant IMO.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 10:35 AM

thats great you can separate it. but getting to tiki the person

some of us were divorced once, like myself and fbomb, edit* (to women not each other) it happens Tiki says they separated once in 2007 so it just wasnt working out thats life. and yes he can be a bit arrogant, but again so can many NFL players like ones stating they are better than birth control ;) just means confidence. there is no real reason to say Tiki is a horrible person (not that you did) Fans have added to the fire just some extra excuses why they dislike him as a person. When you hear him speak you can tell he isnt a bad guy at all.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 10:37 AM
how is that separating the player form the game and how is that being a great Giant?? He was a very good football player for the Giants but he not a greeat Giant IMO. how many Giants running backs have 10,000 yards rushing and 5,000 receiving?? hell OJ Simpson doesnt have those stats.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 10:39 AM
how is that separating the player form the game and how is that being a great Giant?? He was a very good football player for the Giants but he not a greeat Giant IMO.
I'm not sure what you are asking? I am separating the player from his personal life.
If we couldn't do that, how could we consider LT a great Giant or Dave Meggett? To me when Tiki was a Giant, he was also a good teammate. He was well liked by his teammates. He was arrogant and self important near the end and after his career. But can you say LT wasn't?
Anyway, he has several years in a row where he was an unbelievable player. And he retired before he declined. That's not a bad gig actually. And his last games as a Giants were some of his greatest.

FBomb
12-13-2012, 10:43 AM

some of us were divorced once, like myself and fbomb, edit* (to women not each other) it happens Tiki says they separated once in 2007 so it just wasnt working out thats life. and yes he can be a bit arrogant, but again so can many NFL players like ones stating they are better than birth control ;) just means confidence. there is no real reason to say Tiki is a horrible person (not that you did) Fans have added to the fire just some extra excuses why they dislike him as a person. When you hear him speak you can tell he isnt a bad guy at all.

THIS.....I could easily be judged by people from the outside for having an affair (and I am, trust me!!)...but no one knows what lead up to it. I won't go into detail, but if you knew the whole story you would all want to send me money!!!:popcorn:

TroyArcher
12-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Not smart enough to know when to keep his mouth shut.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Look...I really don't care about a guys personal life as long as I don't know about it. Just go play and I don't want to know about anything else. Unfortunately, I do know. Yes..I am divorced as well. Its not being divorced that I care about at all. Its dumping your wife when she's about to give birth to twins for your mistress. As I said...I don't want to know about it but I do.
But the comments he made about Eli were the worst to me. Its not that he criticized Eli that bugs me. Its that he used confidential locker room knowledge to mock him publicly.
Thats a friggin low blow. That's the act of a terrible teammate. What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room. Telling the world that Eli was uncomfortable making motivating speeches, and calling it "comical" is a betrayal.

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
i think part of the reasoning behind the dislike of tiki is that a lot of people dont understand why he retired. his first few years in the league, sure he was a dynamic returner here and there and we'd see his speed on display. but it wasnt really until those last 2-3 years that he began to play at a HoF level. I remember seeing stats that were so rare from a rb that tiki was contributing, esp around age 30 when most rbs are over the hill. Tiki became that workhorse towards the end, for much of his career he was a spell/return guy with a fumbling problem. Thats why a lot dont get why he retired when he did. He was clearly getting better and better with age something very rare with rbs. he was doing special things. then all of a sudden, he wants to retire and stop? a lot of people whod kill to play pro couldnt understand that; how he was beginning to cement himself as the top rb only to just give it away, kinda like how people wonder why Sanders retired when he did.
Then u factor in he announced his retirement mid season and the fact he tried using the fact he was teammates of eli and a giant as some sort of inside source he could exploit for fame. i remember the yr we won the 07 SB, leading up to the playoffs, there was a ton of up and down and doubt about eli and tiki totally capitalized on it and to a lot of people, they considered that a betrayal. so when u figure that people were going "huh?" because he was retiring, and then he arguably betrayed his blue nation fans. of course people are gonna dislike him and claim that anything he does now is a publicity stunt as it was back in 06/

Parademon
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Strongly disagree with you about the " he was a very good player". Hate him all you want, Tiki is the greatest Giants RB in their history & his numbers back that up! 10,000 yds rushing, probably would have finished with well over 13/14000 yds if he hadn't retired so young & over 5000yds recieving! Holds Giants records for most 200 yd rushing games, season record for rushing with over 1,800yds & has one of the highest YPC in NFL history!

He was a great football player, let alone Giants player. His brother Rhonde is going into the HOF & so would Tiki if he had not retired so soon.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:59 AM
i think part of the reasoning behind the dislike of tiki is that a lot of people dont understand why he retired. his first few years in the league, sure he was a dynamic returner here and there and we'd see his speed on display. but it wasnt really until those last 2-3 years that he began to play at a HoF level. I remember seeing stats that were so rare from a rb that tiki was contributing, esp around age 30 when most rbs are over the hill. Tiki became that workhorse towards the end, for much of his career he was a spell/return guy with a fumbling problem. Thats why a lot dont get why he retired when he did. He was clearly getting better and better with age something very rare with rbs. he was doing special things. then all of a sudden, he wants to retire and stop? a lot of people whod kill to play pro couldnt understand that; how he was beginning to cement himself as the top rb only to just give it away, kinda like how people wonder why Sanders retired when he did.
Then u factor in he announced his retirement mid season and the fact he tried using the fact he was teammates of eli and a giant as some sort of inside source he could exploit for fame. i remember the yr we won the 07 SB, leading up to the playoffs, there was a ton of up and down and doubt about eli and tiki totally capitalized on it and to a lot of people, they considered that a betrayal. so when u figure that people were going "huh?" because he was retiring, and then he arguably betrayed his blue nation fans. of course people are gonna dislike him and claim that anything he does now is a publicity stunt as it was back in 06/
he said TC took the fun out of the game for him and was not treated like a grown man. His ego made him retire.....his ego is his worst trait and caused him all of this BS he has brought upon himself. He is a narcissistic person. He comes first above everything else. Check out any of his interveiws. he uses the words "I", "me", "myself" more than any other word.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Strongly disagree with you about the " he was a very good player". Hate him all you want, Tiki is the greatest Giants RB in their history & his numbers back that up! 10,000 yds rushing, probably would have finished with well over 13/14000 yds if he hadn't retired so young & over 5000yds recieving! Holds Giants records for most 200 yd rushing games, season record for rushing with over 1,800yds & has one of the highest YPC in NFL history!

He was a great football player, let alone Giants player. His brother Rhonde is going into the HOF & so would Tiki if he had not retired so soon.
ok he was a great RB.....everything else is the same for me....
Rohnde wil HOFr because he is not like Tiki. He is not a "me" first person. Or if he is he knows how to keep it in check. Tiki doesnt.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 11:01 AM

I'm not sure where you get that he was a return guy for much of his career. He was our #1 RB for most of his career.

He retired because he wanted to get out before he turned out like a lot of NFL RB's who are debilitated for life. And he (mistakenly) thought he was in high demand in the media. His high opinion of himself in that arena was a huge miscalculation.
I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to get out before the game ruins the rest of their life.

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
he said TC took the fun out of the game for him and was not treated like a grown man. His ego made him retire.....his ego is his worst trait and caused him all of this BS he has brought upon himself. He is a narcissistic person. He comes first above everything else. Check out any of his interveiws. he uses the words "I", "me", "myself" more than any other word.unfortunately, this is an accurate description of tiki

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure where you get that he was a return guy for much of his career. He was our #1 RB for most of his career.

He retired because he wanted to get out before he turned out like a lot of NFL RB's who are debilitated for life. And he (mistakenly) thought he was in high demand in the media. His high opinion of himslef in that arena was a huge miscalculation.
I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to get out before the game ruins the rest of their life.musta not been clear. i mean early in his career he was a return guy. he wasnt the rb we saw those final few years. i guess u could say he was the #1 rb on the depth chart but we kept on drafting rbs and trying to do the thunder and lightning with rbs going back to dayne. it wasnt til those final 5 or so years he became half the offense

GameTime
I'm not sure what you are asking? I am separating the player from his personal life.
If we couldn't do that, how could we consider LT a great Giant or Dave Meggett? To me when Tiki was a Giant, he was also a good teammate. He was well liked by his teammates. He was arrogant and self important near the end and after his career. But can you say LT wasn't?
Anyway, he has several years in a row where he was an unbelievable player. And he retired before he declined. That's not a bad gig actually. And his last games as a Giants were some of his greatest.
LT and Dave didnt say the **** Tiki did baout his own teammates o the org. Thats the big dif. Thats what makes them Great Giants but not so great people on the out side. Tiki ****ed up in both areas.....

jomo
actually he has a new job and he was a great Giant. Howard hit it right on the head fans were upset and felt he retired too early. and Tiki was not a homer and gave his honest opinion. Like it or not Tiki will be around he is a really smart articulate guy.My biggest problem with the guy is that it was always about him. He engaged in shameless self promotion from the beginning to the end of his career. Now, I can't kill the guy for that UNTIL it gets to being a big distraction and hurts the team. The early announcement on his retirement was a perfect example. While we should have been concentrating on the next oponent, tiki was taking his victory lap and the story in every city, every week was about him and his retirement rather than the next team. I also think he actually believed the stories about how smart he is. In actuality, he just appears smart among his peers in the media and on the playing field, a low bar indeed. An example of "he's not nearly as smart as he thinks" came after the playoff loss to the Panthers where he felt compelled to throw his coaches under the bus, the day of the game, saying "we were outcoached." The boy wonder conveniently missed the fact that there were 6 starters on D who were not starting at the beginning of the year and 4 of whom who were with the team less than a month and one that was there just over a week but being asked to start at LB. He was a great football player for a few years, possesses a great smile and not much else.

Stated differently, would you want him next to you in a fox hole? ...............whoops bad question! lol

All the best of the holidays Rooni, you make this place lively and interesting.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
he said TC took the fun out of the game for him and was not treated like a grown man. His ego made him retire.....his ego is his worst trait and caused him all of this BS he has brought upon himself. He is a narcissistic person. He comes first above everything else. Check out any of his interveiws. he uses the words "I", "me", "myself" more than any other word.
Yes he didn't like the idea that he could be yelled at by a HC where no one else did that in the rest of his life. I do understand that to an extent. Not even so much that it's TC. It happens with a lot of HC's.
But its the reality of the NFL. He knew what it was when he got in. I think he had the attitude.."Why should I put up with this when I can go into broadcasting and be treated like a man"... i get that. But he misunderstood his value in the media,

GameTime
12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Yes he didn't like the idea that he could be yelled at by a HC where no one else did that in the rest of his life. I do understand that to an extent. Not even so much that it's TC. It happens with a lot of HC's.
But its the reality of the NFL. He knew what it was when he got in. I think he had the attitude.."Why should I put up with this when I can go into broadcasting and be treated like a man"... i get that. But he misunderstood his value in the media,
is Tiki the only player to get "yelled" at??/ Come on man. Go to broadcasting to get treated liked a man??/ what???
How about being a "man" to get treated like a "man".......
Poot little Tiki go tyelled at by the big bad coach. **** bro....PeeWee coaches yell at there plaers!!!

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
LT and Dave didnt say the **** Tiki did baout his own teammates o the org. Thats the big dif. Thats what makes them Great Giants but not so great people on the out side. Tiki ****ed up in both areas.....
I would say getting a 30 year jail sentence for sexual assault is a tad worse that anything Tiki has done. Are you being serious with this?
And LT is a basket case in his personal life.
In what world is raping a woman more acceptable than talking **** about your old team?

GameTime
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
BTW.....ever hear what Rohnde says about Tiki when asked about him??
I have never heard Rohnde defend his brother. He usually says..."Thats Tiki's deal. You'll have to ask him".
I.E....dont say anything if you cant say anything nice

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
is Tiki the only player to get "yelled" at??/ Come on man. Go to broadcasting to get treated liked a man??/ what???
How about being a "man" to get treated like a "man".......
Poot little Tiki go tyelled at by the big bad coach. **** bro....PeeWee coaches yell at there plaers!!!
I'm just telling you what his position was. As I said, he knew what he was getting into when he went to the NFL.
My only point was that if you're a 30+ year old guy, I can see him not wanting to be treated like a child if he felt he had other options.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I would say getting a 30 year jail sentence for sexual assault is a tad worse that anything Tiki has done. Are you being serious with this?
And LT is a basket case in his personal life.
In what world is raping a woman more acceptable than talking **** about your old team?
I think LT is a POS. But he never ever said anything bad as a towards the Giants. You want to separate the two and I am. Tiki is a ****head on and off the field.....

GameTime
12-13-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm just telling you what his position was. As I said, he knew what he was getting into when he went to the NFL.
My only point was that if you're a 30+ year old guy, I can see him not wanting to be treated like a child if he felt he had other options.
Thats his ego Bro....like I have been saying.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I think LT is a POS. But he never ever said anything bad as a towards the Giants. You want to separate the two and I am. Tiki is a ****head on and off the field.....
I'm talking about Dave Meggett. In another thread today a poster put up a highlight reel of Meggett and compared him to Wilson. And I'm fine with it. Because I seperate the player from the man, especially after his career.

And again..are you actually saying that what Tiki did is one 100th as bad as what Dave Meggett did?

BlueJayC
12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
The line is getting mulled in the comparison between "Great Giants" vs. "Great Players"......basically morality and ethics vs. on the field talent. This is my example of "Great Giants" versus "Great Players Who Were Giants" (the short list for sample purposes):

Great Giants
Phil Simms
Carl Banks
Harry Carson
Rodney Hampton
Michael Strahan

Great Players Who Were Giants:
Lawrence Taylor
Tiki Barber
Mark Ingram
Dave Meggett

GameTime
12-13-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm talking about Dave Meggett. In another thread today a poster put up a highlight reel of Meggett and compared him to Wilson. And I'm fine with it. Because I seperate the player from the man, especially after his career.

And again..are you actually saying that what Tiki did is one 100th as bad as what Dave Meggett did?

Once again I will say.. I am separating the player from the personal life. Megget has had huge issues off the field. But what did he do while was a Giants player to disparage the team? He wasnt a locker room issue Tiki was and still is. So Tiki ****ed in thelocker and off the field as well.
Not trying to convince you I am right. Just how I feel. Not saying Tiki is worse then Megget or LT off the field but as a Giants player what he did and said IMO was ego drvien bull **** and that his way. His mouth and ego are bigger then his brain and ihe has made his own mess.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Tiki is a good guy that gets way too much criticism albeit some of it he brings on himself.

Once a Giant, ALWAYS a Giant.

Love Tiki.

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM

After Lawrence Taylor, Tiki was the most exciting Giant I ever saw (Eli is quickly taking over though).

However, while intelligent (though not smart), he is incredibly egotistical to the point of self destruction. He blames TC for taking the fun out of football, yet he was at his most productive under TC. He says he's just being honest, yet his remarks smack of sound-bite attention garnering talking points to keep his media career relevant. He says he left his wife in 2007, yet she was pregnant with his child in 2009 and left her in 2010 for an NBC intern.

At this point, he's doing the equivalent of hiring himself out as a clown ... and a clown is what he's become.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Once again I will say.. I am separating the player from the personal life. Megget has had huge issues off the field. But what did he do while was a Giants player to disparage the team? He wasnt a locker room issue Tiki was and still is. So Tiki ****ed in thelocker and off the field as well.
Not trying to convince you I am right. Just how I feel. Not saying Tiki is worse then Megget or LT off the field but as a Giants player what he did and said IMO was ego drvien bull **** and that his way. His mouth and ego are bigger then his brain and ihe has made his own mess.
Well if you are indeed separating the two, I would say that there was nothing wrong with Tiki "on the field" at all. (except the fumbles I guess). He was a great football player and good teammate when he was a Giant.
But you say you are separating the two and then you talk about Tiki's ego. That's off the field stuff. And BTW...I expect my players to have big egos, that makes them better players.

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 12:09 PM
I think the biggest difference between guys like Megget/Taylor and Tiki is that Tiki dissed Giants' players and coaches after he left, while the former did not.

So that's where I have a hard time separating Tiki the person and Tiki the Giant.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I think the biggest difference between guys like Megget/Taylor and Tiki is that Tiki dissed Giants' players and coaches after he left, while the former did not.

So that's where I have a hard time separating Tiki the person and Tiki the Giant.
As distasteful as Tiki's comments and behavior has been, its not anything close to as bad as LT's behavior has been and not in the same county as Meggett's.
We sometimes tend to place more weight on acts of pettiness or hypocrisy, then acts that actually cause harm to other people. Its pretty skewed in my view.

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
As distasteful as Tiki's comments and behavior has been, its not anything close to as bad as LT's behavior has been and not in the same county as Meggett's.
We sometimes tend to place more weight on acts of pettiness or hypocrisy, then acts that actually cause harm to other people. Its pretty skewed in my view.

I disagree about Taylor ... while he hurts his family routinely, Tiki has done the same thing (granted, LT has done it more often). The acts of actually doing drugs and engaging in prostitution is a moral crime and I'm just not that puritanical to judge.

Meggett is unconscionable. But as I was eluding to before, they never disrespected their teams and Tiki did. The lack of loyalty is as bad or worse in many people's minds then the actual illegal acts (especially if you're separating the player and the man).

However, I've seen OJ play football; at his best, he was a thing of beauty to watch and I feel privileged to have been able to witness that. The man however is a totally different case and not someone I would associate with. Hypocritical? Perhaps.

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 12:45 PM

If you don't believe Harooni, just ask Tiki . . . . he'd be happy to tell you how smart and articulate he is.

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Tiki is a good guy that gets way too much criticism albeit some of it he brings on himself.

Once a Giant, ALWAYS a Giant.

Love Tiki.

He was a good Giant, not a good guy.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Well if you are indeed separating the two, I would say that there was nothing wrong with Tiki "on the field" at all. (except the fumbles I guess). He was a great football player and good teammate when he was a Giant.
But you say you are separating the two and then you talk about Tiki's ego. That's off the field stuff. And BTW...I expect my players to have big egos, that makes them better players.
Having a big ego is one thing but displaying constantly and using it is not a good thing. Tiki on the field, meaning in the locker room too, he was a jerk.....
I me mine.....thats Tiki. Always was and always will be.....on the field and off....

Harooni
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
You guys have to understand that productive and fun are too different things. Yes TC helped him with fumbles and gave him better run blocking schemes. But at that time TC was losing players and being too hard on them. For example you dont treat a 10year vet the same as a rookie and some guys you have to push and others you dont. TC lightened up the next season and it made a huge difference even Mike said that in his book.

Tiki is a smart guy that knows he is smart and yes a little ****y at times. but certainly a great role model and nice guy. lets not forget when Collins was doing his statue impression ,and Eli a goofy rook. Tiki was the man

TroyArcher
12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
You guys have to understand that productive and fun are too different things. Yes TC helped him with fumbles and gave him better run blocking schemes. But at that time TC was losing players and being too hard on them. For example you dont treat a 10year vet the same as a rookie and some guys you have to push and others you dont. TC lightened up the next season and it made a huge difference even Mike said that in his book.

Tiki is a smart guy that knows he is smart and yes a little ****y at times. but certainly a great role model and nice guy. lets not forget when Collins was doing his statue impression ,and Eli a goofy rook. Tiki was the man

Leaving your wife just before the birth of Twins to hook up with your intern. Not sure that classifies as a role model and nice guy.

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 01:36 PM

No he's not ... not in the least. Not on the field (due to this lack of loyalty to the team) and not off the field (leaving a pregnant wife for a young intern ... wtf???).

Tiki is the perfect role model on how NOT to conduct your affairs, both on and off the field.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 01:36 PM

a narcisistic, cheating, egotistical big mouth is a good role model??? to whom?

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Great role model?? lol . . . ok

A guy who anonymously leaks info to the media in an attempt to undermine his coach, leaves his pregnant wife for an intern, and sells out his former teammates after he leaves the game?

Great football player . . . douch of a human being.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Leaving your wife just before the birth of Twins to hook up with your intern. Not sure that classifies as a role model and nice guy.

We dont know what problems they had before that he said in the interview that they separated in 2007. We dont know if she was *****y or not. He said yeah the timing sucked but the marriage was over for a while.

Plus who doesnt want a hot blonde intern???

Harooni
12-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes good role model. Worked hard to get into the NFL never and off the field issue , no arrests no drugs no shooting people or himself. No late library books!!!!
No using the Handicap stalls in the mens room.

sure he left his wife, so did toomer and strahan , let me tell you 70 percent end in divorce just give it time guys you will probably be there. im on my second as well.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 01:49 PM
No he's not ... not in the least. Not on the field (due to this lack of loyalty to the team) and not off the field (leaving a pregnant wife for a young intern ... wtf???).

Tiki is the perfect role model on how NOT to conduct your affairs, both on and off the field.

Marriages dont always work out ,i have every confidence that Tiki is a great dad though. i'm sure his kids adore him.

http://www.jayblessed.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tiki-BARBER-KIDS-JAY-BLESSED.jpg

GameTime
12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes good role model. Worked hard to get into the NFL never and off the field issue , no arrests no drugs no shooting people or himself. No late library books!!!!
No using the Handicap stalls in the mens room.

sure he left his wife, so did toomer and strahan , let me tell you 70 percent end in divorce just give it time guys you will probably be there. im on my second as well.
the NFL is loaded with ******* and people with no redeeming character qualities. Tiki is not out and out bad but I dont like the guy I I def dont cosider him a role model. Not one bit. Back to the question of why his Brother wont defend him in the least. Thats speaks volumes to me....

Harooni
12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
the NFL is loaded with ******* and people with no redeeming character qualities. Tiki is not out and out bad but I dont like the guy I I def dont cosider him a role model. Not one bit. Back to the question of why his Brother wont defend him in the least. Thats speaks volumes to me....

ahh we are getting somewhere you admit Tiki isnt so bad. His brother has defended him many times. I remember him trying to get him a try out with the bucs. and i remeber them doing a radio interview together a few years ago.

dezzzR
12-13-2012, 02:03 PM

So I choose to seperate the "football player" Tiki from the "arrogant human being" Tiki. As a football player, he was a great Giant. As a human being (really mostly after his football career) he's tarnished his legacy.Saved his job? You think Mara would have fired TC after going 11-5 in 05, then 8-8 in 06? Tiki didnt save ****.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Marriages dont always work out ,i have every confidence that Tiki is a great dad though. i'm sure his kids adore him.

http://www.jayblessed.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tiki-BARBER-KIDS-JAY-BLESSED.jpg
guess that pic is before he bailed......

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 02:10 PM
i remember tiki going to the media and making public an incident that occurred where the Giants had lost, and Tiki made a remark that the loss was something to do with playcalling (not running him enough). So TC took Tiki aside, and showed him the film of Tiki missing a crucial block or fumbling the ball and pointing out that might have had something to do with the loss. Tiki said he felt disrespected and what TC did was uncalled for...just a good example imo of Tikis tenure here at the end.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Notice there is no "I" in TEAM
However there are TWO "I's" in T I K I...
hmmmm......

joemorrisforprez
12-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Second this......probably the most talented Giants running back of all time.....but a "Great Giant"? Two completely different things.....I say nay to being a "Great Giant" but yes to being the best Giants running back on the field.

Joe Morris was the greatest Giant running back.

He revolutionized the game.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Saved his job? You think Mara would have fired TC after going 11-5 in 05, then 8-8 in 06? Tiki didnt save ****. I believe they were all set to do so had we lost to the skins,. Tiki ran buck wild and saved TC's job. They were all set to fire TC if we missed the playoffs for the goose egg the year before vs Carolina.

"Originally hired by the Giants in 2004, Coughlin signed a four-year, $12 million contract, Coughlin was almost fired after the 2006 season after the team significantly underperformed after a 6-2 start and crawled into the playoffs with an 8-8 record. But Coughlin was saved by the Giants management with a one-year extension. "

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
and i never got the whole "TC doesnt like Tiki" statement. Guy went out of his way to help Tiki become the best he could be, stuck with him thru the fumbles, ran an offense that featured him over 50%

Harooni
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
and i never got the whole "TC doesnt like Tiki" statement. Guy went out of his way to help Tiki become the best he could be, stuck with him thru the fumbles, ran an offense that featured him over 50% its wasnt that TC didnt like him, it was that TC was a hard *** fining players and not being personal with them at all. He would treat a vet like a rookie and just was a hard *** in general.

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 02:23 PM
I believe they were all set to do so had we lost to the skins,. Tiki ran buck wild and saved TC's job. They were all set to fire TC if we missed the playoffs for the goose egg the year before vs Carolina.

"Originally hired by the Giants in 2004, Coughlin signed a four-year, $12 million contract, Coughlin was almost fired after the 2006 season after the team significantly underperformed after a 6-2 start and crawled into the playoffs with an 8-8 record. But Coughlin was saved by the Giants management with a one-year extension. "source? i dont think they would have fired him at that point, no way. he was 2 years into the franchise qbs career...if anything, i think we should learn by now after all the "hot seat"/he's getting fired for sure talk, and what the owners said after this past SB, they werent just gonna get rid of him imho.

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 02:26 PM
its wasnt that TC didnt like him, it was that TC was a hard *** fining players and not being personal with them at all. He would treat a vet like a rookie and just was a hard *** in general.i get that aspect, but imo, the situation could have easily just as been tiki being his usual ego drivven self and believed the red carpet should be rolled out for him and that he had "already earned it" when TC is a guy all about earning it day in day out. i def get tiki not liking the style tc used, but i dont find issue with what TC was doing I feel Tiki was just being a primmadonna who wanted to be treated with high maintenance

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Are you ****ing kidding me ... oh wait ... it's Harooni.

Carry on.

joemorrisforprez
12-13-2012, 02:36 PM
its wasnt that TC didnt like him, it was that TC was a hard *** fining players and not being personal with them at all. He would treat a vet like a rookie and just was a hard *** in general.

Obviously, I don't know Coughlin or Tiki....I'm just going on my limited observations, which might be media-distorted.

But, my opinion is that Coughlin and Tiki didn't get along because Tiki isn't a loyal, dependable person, and Coughlin is. Alot of players didn't like Tiki..... it speaks volumes that Eli and Antonio Pierce didn't like Tiki. And, frankly, any guy who would bail on his pregnant wife for a younger woman has some serious character flaws.

With Coughlin, he initially rubbed some players the wrong way, but eventually the passion and loyalty he had to the team won most of them over. Players saw that Coughlin was willing to change his own conduct in order to make the entire team successful.....that's the type of stuff that veterans like Strahan could respect.

Some players didn't buy in: Plaxico, Tiki, and Shockey.....I look at that group and see very similar, negative personality traits.

All joking aside about Joe Morris, I think Tiki is the best running back the Giants ever had. But he wasn't the best teammate, not by a long shot. And teams win championships, not individual players.

dezzzR
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I believe they were all set to do so had we lost to the skins,. Tiki ran buck wild and saved TC's job. They were all set to fire TC if we missed the playoffs for the goose egg the year before vs Carolina.

"Originally hired by the Giants in 2004, Coughlin signed a four-year, $12 million contract, Coughlin was almost fired after the 2006 season after the team significantly underperformed after a 6-2 start and crawled into the playoffs with an 8-8 record. But Coughlin was saved by the Giants management with a one-year extension. "Thats media spin. I doubt very much TC would have been fired after 3 seasons, especially going 11-5 the previous year, but thats just me. We were without AP vs Carolina too.

juice33s
12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I remember seeing the qoute live on national tv. Tiki was clearly implying Eli lacked leadership skills.....

Cindy in INdy
12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
So basically Tiki just said that Ronde is holding back so that he doesn't get hit...and the justifiying the Dallas drunk driving case and sadly, the KC situation was tragic, not able to determine if it was due to hits, shaddup Tiki, your 15 minutes is over...but then again...I never liked his look in his eyes...devious

Cindy in INdy
12-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Harooni is emerging, the playoffs can't be far behind..sigh....holiday tradition....

rainierjef
12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
There is no question that If Tiki said more favorable words about Eli or T.C. fans would love him as if he was still playing. What fans who become delusional at times (myself included) fail to realize. Tiki never bad mouthed the organization, Shockey never bad mouthed the oragnization, and once Osi leaves I beg of you to find me proof he bad mouthed the organization. It was directed to an individual, but fans hate these great giants that they once cheered for because they feel disrespected themselves, "how dare he say T.C this or Eli this or Reese that!" as if it was a personal attack to them. I am a fan but I don't think i would ever reach that level of hate towards a player.

I was watching the football life last night about Marcus Allen. Football great, but Al Davis had a grudge against him cause he felt he was becoming bigger than the raiders. I am sure this resonated with fans and there was probably a spilt, fans that once cheered and not hated him cause he got tagged the locker room malcontent or cancer (I truly hate this term) and the fans that didn't know what was going on, but just cheered for the player that gives them the best chance to win.

I am a Players fan, I love the organization but without the players the organization does nothing. I just don't understand the anomosity towards Tiki,Shockey, Plax or even Osi. They helped us win at a point in time and we loved them now that the latter are gone we have disdain towards them, just don't get it.

ShakeandBake
12-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Ahh its a bargain really I went to the website he will actually come out and coach you for $500. My son is in peewee football this would be so great.

You're going to have to spend another $500 to pay TC to teach your son how to hold on to the football after a lesson from Tiki

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Having a big ego is one thing but displaying constantly and using it is not a good thing. Tiki on the field, meaning in the locker room too, he was a jerk.....
I me mine.....thats Tiki. Always was and always will be.....on the field and off....
I've never heard of any problems or complaints about Tiki when he was a Giant. All the crap came after he left.
As far as i could tell, he was a good teammate. He seemed like a good sport on the field. He actually spoke very well of all his teammates (including Eli) while he was a Giant.
I'm not sure where you're getting this bad teammate stuff.

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I've never heard of any problems or complaints about Tiki when he was a Giant. All the crap came after he left.
As far as i could tell, he was a good teammate. He seemed like a good sport on the field. He actually spoke very well of all his teammates (including Eli) while he was a Giant.

You forgot the big blow up he and Strahan had.

But in general you're correct ... while he was with the Giants he was considered the "statesman" of the team; respectful, intelligent and well spoken. It wasn't until after the 2005 season (after the playoff loss to the Panthers) that the chinks in Tiki's public personae started becoming prevalent (where he called out the coaching staff). Then announcing his retirement midway through the 2006 season.

rainierjef
12-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I think that's why people are so mad and take everything he says as stabs to the organization/fanbase. Becuase he retired eariler than the average RB, He could of played out his contract and went to another team, but he chose to retire a giant. Do you remember the game he had in washington after the Loss of wellington mara, he said he was dedicating that game to the mara family. Great Giant while on the the team and after; no one can dispute that.

Harooni
12-13-2012, 05:27 PM
You're going to have to spend another $500 to pay TC to teach your son how to hold on to the football after a lesson from Tiki.lol that was good.

yatitle
12-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Oh lets us count the ways:

- Was shoved by Phillipi Sparks on the field after a fumble inside his own 10 in 97 playoff game against Vikings

- Was openly critical of Strahan's contract situation "I don't know if he realizes how much $17 million is," Barber told the NY Post. "That is absolutely ridiculous, to turn that down. He's already the highest-paid defensive player in the league. He's already making more than most quarterbacks...Michael is not thinking about the team; he's thinking about himself"

- This from Tiki's Wikiepedia page

Keith Hamilton, a teammate of Strahan and Barber at the time, then responded with comments critical of Barber. Players generally believe that they should not speak about the contracts of other players. Beyond that, some members of the Giants defense harbored resentment of the offense, which was lackluster and unproductive in the 1990s. "The defense has carried the offense, carried the team, since I've been here," Hamilton told The Star-Ledger. "[Barber] hasn't been here long enough or done enough to say anything. For him to shoot his mouth off, acting like he's Mr. New York, yeah, I'm ticked off. Strahan is the single-season sack record-holder. He's the AP Defensive Player of the Year. He's one of the best - if not the best - defensive ends in the game. And you tell me this guy is being greedy? That's a bunch of crap. I've heard enough. Who is Tiki Barber to shoot his mouth off? What has he done? He talks like he's acting in the best interest of the team. Tell him to give his $7 million (signing bonus) back. Since he's so charitable, why doesn't he volunteer his $7 million? He says all the politically correct things. Ask him if he's giving up some of his money." Despite this incident, Strahan and Barber are currently friendly with each other in public

Not to mention feuds with TC and Eli. As Led Zep would say "That's a whole lotta luv"

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 06:04 PM

- Was shoved by Phillipi Sparks on the field after a fumble inside his own 10 in 97 playoff game against Vikings

- Was openly critical of Strahan's contract situation "I don't know if he realizes how much $17 million is," Barber told the NY Post. "That is absolutely ridiculous, to turn that down. He's already the highest-paid defensive player in the league. He's already making more than most quarterbacks...Michael is not thinking about the team; he's thinking about himself"

Keith Hamilton, a teammate of Strahan and Barber at the time, then responded with comments critical of Barber. Players generally believe that they should not speak about the contracts of other players. Beyond that, some members of the Giants defense harbored resentment of the offense, which was lackluster and unproductive in the 1990s. "The defense has carried the offense, carried the team, since I've been here," Hamilton told The Star-Ledger. "[Barber] hasn't been here long enough or done enough to say anything. For him to shoot his mouth off, acting like he's Mr. New York, yeah, I'm ticked off. Strahan is the single-season sack record-holder. He's the AP Defensive Player of the Year. He's one of the best - if not the best - defensive ends in the game. And you tell me this guy is being greedy? That's a bunch of crap. I've heard enough. Who is Tiki Barber to shoot his mouth off? What has he done? He talks like he's acting in the best interest of the team. Tell him to give his $7 million (signing bonus) back. Since he's so charitable, why doesn't he volunteer his $7 million? He says all the politically correct things. Ask him if he's giving up some of his money." Despite this incident, Strahan and Barber are currently friendly with each other in public

Not to mention feuds with TC and Eli. As Led Zep would say "That's a whole lotta luv"

His teammates thought that he was a total tool. Remember the story about a team plane ride home from a win on the west coast? The whole team is whooping it up, and Tiki is sitting in the front of the plane by himself reading Wuthering Heights. The teamate that told the story said that no one would have had a problem with it if they thought that he was a real intellectual and enjoyed reading books like Wuthering Heights instead of celebrating. The reason why it annoyed them is that they were certain that Tiki was doing it just to try to look smarter than the rest of them.

Also, it is now known that he was the source of the anonymous leaks from the locker room about TC during TC's first few years.

The guy is a total asshat. Great ballplayer, but an asshat nonetheless . . . . .

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 06:10 PM
There is no question that If Tiki said more favorable words about Eli or T.C. fans would love him as if he was still playing. What fans who become delusional at times (myself included) fail to realize. Tiki never bad mouthed the organization, Shockey never bad mouthed the oragnization, and once Osi leaves I beg of you to find me proof he bad mouthed the organization. It was directed to an individual, but fans hate these great giants that they once cheered for because they feel disrespected themselves, "how dare he say T.C this or Eli this or Reese that!" as if it was a personal attack to them. I am a fan but I don't think i would ever reach that level of hate towards a player.

I was watching the football life last night about Marcus Allen. Football great, but Al Davis had a grudge against him cause he felt he was becoming bigger than the raiders. I am sure this resonated with fans and there was probably a spilt, fans that once cheered and not hated him cause he got tagged the locker room malcontent or cancer (I truly hate this term) and the fans that didn't know what was going on, but just cheered for the player that gives them the best chance to win.

I am a Players fan, I love the organization but without the players the organization does nothing. I just don't understand the anomosity towards Tiki,Shockey, Plax or even Osi. They helped us win at a point in time and we loved them now that the latter are gone we have disdain towards them, just don't get it.i disagree. i dont think it was tikis specific opiniion, as others have noted, strahan and others had voiced negative opinions about aspects of the team and those guys arent disliked.
what i think bothers most people is that he broke the trust of a locker room. as a player, we always hear how u gotta keep things in house and how its disrespectful to make issues public. i guess bc tiki felt he was no longer apart of that locker room, he was no longer mandated to keep things in house and so he used his situation as a player to become an insider for the media. a lot of people have negative opinions of eli and tc and nothings made of it. what tiki did went beyond that. now i know hes in the media and its his job to report things, but reporters also have a set of ethics that tiki didnt follow in reporting things that were off the record, like what the huddle was like etc etc...thats my issue with him, and id bet that the majority of people who have issues with what tiki did are former athletes who understood the team/locker room trust...

BuffyBlueII
12-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Why not. He is your favorite player and you should treat yourself.

Eliscruzzz
12-13-2012, 06:42 PM
TIJE YOUARE ONE OF THE BEST RB OF ALL TIM SHUT UP....WHAT IF ELI WINDS UP GAIN 30THS AND 13 INT,,,,,JUST SHUT IT

CDN_G-FAN
12-13-2012, 06:50 PM
The issue with Tiki was the timing and spotlight of what he did. It's safe to say that Tiki was a very hotly anticipated former player commentator.

He came out, with everyone hanging on his first comments as a retired player, and made statements about a Giants team when it was in a very fragile state, with a head coach and QB feeling the heat of fan pressure and possibly the pressure from their employers too. Tiki just looked like he piled on for personal gain.

People claim the fact that he was largely telling the truth as his defense. But for all its toughness, football is a sensative topic for its fans.

We all have wives and girlfriends (and those of you that don't, trust me, its obvious to the rest of us). If your girl looks super fat in a dress that used to fit 15 pounds ago, how confident are you that she'll 'understand' your comments because they're technically true? This is no different. We all knew we had a coach and a QB struggling, having one of our own smirk about it for personal gain rubbed fans the wrong way. Big surprise.

In fact, if Coughlin had been fired, and Eli failed as a QB, Tiki's comments wouldn't be so hated by fans, because he would have turned out to be absolutely right.

But in reality, the QB and coach he hated were responsible for two SBs we've won since. So now tiki looks just bitter and self interested.

tiki's obviously entitled to his opinion of a team we all love. We're equally entitled to any opinion we have about tiki.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 06:52 PM
You forgot the big blow up he and Strahan had.

But in general you're correct ... while he was with the Giants he was considered the "statesman" of the team; respectful, intelligent and well spoken. It wasn't until after the 2005 season (after the playoff loss to the Panthers) that the chinks in Tiki's public personae started becoming prevalent (where he called out the coaching staff). Then announcing his retirement midway through the 2006 season.
Lets not forget that Srahan threatened to go to the league because he didn't like having to be 5 minutes early for a meeting to be considered on time. It took him a long time to warm up to TC.
Many players have had some difficulties (sometimes public, sometimes not) with their head coach. especially with a guy like TC.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 06:55 PM

So a guy fumbles and gets shoved by a fellow teammate because of it. Who is the ****head in this scenario?

ShakeandBake
12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
.lol that was good.

haha, don't get me wrong, I loved Tiki while he was here, just couldn't pass that up

Delicreep
12-13-2012, 07:05 PM
how many Giants running backs have 10,000 yards rushing and 5,000 receiving?? hell OJ Simpson doesnt have those stats.

Not for nothin'...but if you are going to defend some ones reputation as a good human being, you might want to consider not throwing OJ Simpson out as a comparison.

Just sayin'

rainierjef
12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Not for nothin'...but if you are going to defend some ones reputation as a good human being, you might want to consider not throwing OJ Simpson out as a comparison.

Just sayin'

That is not a defense of reputation, its a defense of statistics.

Morehead State
12-13-2012, 07:32 PM
I would say when describing Tiki in a nutshell:

Great Giant when he was a player.

Big time dope after he left.

I choose to focus on the "great Giant" part.

Ladder27
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Tiki is one of my all time favorite Giants of all time and will always be. The guy Carried this team for a number of years before TC and Eli. The guy was like 90% of our offense.

I will always be a Tiki lover. Regardless of what was said or will be said.

Long live..... Harooni

Ladder27
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Also if he came back now and played the way he did. Our offense would be a hell of a lot higher then what it is. The guy would open up our passing game so much more it be nuts.

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 08:08 PM
The issue with Tiki was the timing and spotlight of what he did. It's safe to say that Tiki was a very hotly anticipated former player commentator.

He came out, with everyone hanging on his first comments as a retired player, and made statements about a Giants team when it was in a very fragile state, with a head coach and QB feeling the heat of fan pressure and possibly the pressure from their employers too. Tiki just looked like he piled on for personal gain.

People claim the fact that he was largely telling the truth as his defense. But for all its toughness, football is a sensative topic for its fans.

We all have wives and girlfriends (and those of you that don't, trust me, its obvious to the rest of us). If your girl looks super fat in a dress that used to fit 15 pounds ago, how confident are you that she'll 'understand' your comments because they're technically true? This is no different. We all knew we had a coach and a QB struggling, having one of our own smirk about it for personal gain rubbed fans the wrong way. Big surprise.

In fact, if Coughlin had been fired, and Eli failed as a QB, Tiki's comments wouldn't be so hated by fans, because he would have turned out to be absolutely right.

But in reality, the QB and coach he hated were responsible for two SBs we've won since. So now tiki looks just bitter and self interested.

tiki's obviously entitled to his opinion of a team we all love. We're equally entitled to any opinion we have about tiki.perfectly said imo

GMENAGAIN
12-13-2012, 08:48 PM

tiki's obviously entitled to his opinion of a team we all love. We're equally entitled to any opinion we have about tiki.

Excellent post.

Wife: Honey, does this dress make me look fat? Husband: No honey, your fat makes you look fat.

Hall of Fame
12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
A little too late to explain what he meant? A few years too late!

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Ahh its a bargain really I went to the website he will actually come out and coach you for $500. My son is in peewee football this would be so great.This is the best I could find about what you said. And the best part is what he will do for 100.00

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2012/11/tiki-barber-is-hilariously-desperate-for-money.html

zimonami
12-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Look...I really don't care about a guys personal life as long as I don't know about it. Just go play and I don't want to know about anything else. Unfortunately, I do know. Yes..I am divorced as well. Its not being divorced that I care about at all. Its dumping your wife when she's about to give birth to twins for your mistress. As I said...I don't want to know about it but I do.
But the comments he made about Eli were the worst to me. Its not that he criticized Eli that bugs me. Its that he used confidential locker room knowledge to mock him publicly.
Thats a friggin low blow. That's the act of a terrible teammate. What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room. Telling the world that Eli was uncomfortable making motivating speeches, and calling it "comical" is a betrayal.
I give Tiki prope for being the best Giant RB that I have ever seen.
I give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his feelings for TC because Tiki's last year was 2006. It wasn't until 2007 that TC softened, at the advice of his family, and became more enjoyed by his players.
But, have to agree with MH regarding his betrayal of the locker room privacy. He could have found other Giant insight without denigrating Eli.
So, I'm with Morehead... Loved him and remember him fondly for what he did on the field fr us, as a Giant player.
Don't care for him as an arrogant individual.

joemorrisforprez
12-13-2012, 10:25 PM
I think that's why people are so mad and take everything he says as stabs to the organization/fanbase. Becuase he retired eariler than the average RB, He could of played out his contract and went to another team, but he chose to retire a giant. Do you remember the game he had in washington after the Loss of wellington mara, he said he was dedicating that game to the mara family. Great Giant while on the the team and after; no one can dispute that.

He was great player, there is no disputing that.

And, I think he was on good terms with the Mara Family, which is nice.

However, he's also the guy who said the reason he retired early was because Coughlin "killed his love of the game".......I'm sorry, but on so many different levels, that's such a bull**** thing for someone to say.

What is much more likely is that he had zero faith in his QB and his coach, and decided to make a business move instead. I have no problem with him going into the media, but don't BS people into believing Coughlin was a villain.

If Tiki had a crystal ball, and could have seen a Super Bowl one year later, I'd bet my *** that Tiki would have still been "in love with the game".

This article covers some of the old ground....

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/09/unretirement-bad-blood-runs-deep-between-tiki-barber-giants-fans/

Tiki had a chance to go into retirement as an All Time Fan Favorite.....he could have been another Strahan. If he had taken the high road after he left, fans would likely have a huge amount of sympathy for him not getting a ring......he would be to the Giants what Don Mattingly is to the Yankees.

But by his own actions, he screwed himself. I dont wish ill on the dude, but he's got nobody to blame but himself for all the bad will he has generated with fans and former players.

CDN_G-FAN
12-13-2012, 11:38 PM

However, he's also the guy who said the reason he retired early was because Coughlin "killed his love of the game".......I'm sorry, but on so many different levels, that's such a bull**** thing for someone to say.

What is much more likely is that he had zero faith in his QB and his coach, and decided to make a business move instead. I have no problem with him going into the media, but don't BS people into believing Coughlin was a villain.

If Tiki had a crystal ball, and could have seen a Super Bowl one year later, I'd bet my *** that Tiki would have still been "in love with the game".

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/09/unretirement-bad-blood-runs-deep-between-tiki-barber-giants-fans/

Tiki had a chance to go into retirement as an All Time Fan Favorite.....he could have been another Strahan. If he had taken the high road after he left, fans would likely have a huge amount of sympathy for him not getting a ring......he would be to the Giants what Don Mattingly is to the Yankees.

But by his own actions, he screwed himself. I dont wish ill on the dude, but he's got nobody to blame but himself for all the bad will he has generated with fans and former players.

excellent excellent post

Harooni
12-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I think many of you have short memories I remember many of you same posters wanting TC's head on a platter after a 6-2 start and a collapse in 06. Now you are all talking hindsight after SB wins. I think TC is a great coach but it took strahan,tiki and Warner and a few others to make that coach understand his players better and warm up just enough to get the team behind him.

G.I. Ants
12-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I have mad love for Tiki, maybe not as much as Harooni, but mad love for the guy. Many athletes made mistakes that hurt there image, and some have given 2nd chances. Some players were did jail time and were able to come back and continue there pro careers. I always felt Tikster was black listed for what happened with his wife, not by talking trash about the coach or Eli. How many times did TO bash his teammates, only to sighed to another team.

I think someday, people will forget about why they dislike Tiki and remember the days when he carried the offense while future elite QB, Eli Manning developed.

Harooni
12-14-2012, 01:26 AM
I have mad love for Tiki, maybe not as much as Harooni, but mad love for the guy. Many athletes made mistakes that hurt there image, and some have given 2nd chances. Some players were did jail time and were able to come back and continue there pro careers. I always felt Tikster was black listed for what happened with his wife, not by talking trash about the coach or Eli. How many times did TO bash his teammates, only to sighed to another team.

I think someday, people will forget about why they dislike Tiki and remember the days when he carried the offense while future elite QB, Eli Manning developed.

good point about TO.

http://profootballzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/tiki-barber-tom-coughlin.jpg

Diamondring
12-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Tiki really did wrong when he left his wife and didn't do it the right way.

Harooni
12-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Tiki really did wrong when he left his wife and didn't do it the right way. You know there is no right way or right time ,I personally kept telling myself ok after my son is born ,ok after he is 2 now ,then i said ok after he is 10...ect ect. Its one of those things yeah the timing was awful but we had a problem in the marriage long before.

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 01:36 AM
I think many of you have short memories I remember many of you same posters wanting TC's head on a platter after a 6-2 start and a collapse in 06. Now you are all talking hindsight after SB wins. I think TC is a great coach but it took strahan,tiki and Warner and a few others to make that coach understand his players better and warm up just enough to get the team behind him.thats the point tho, people have called for tc to be fired every year, even the 2 sb years. and the maras/wellingtons didn't budge. didnt they extend him a year in 06 anyways?

Harooni
12-14-2012, 01:40 AM
thats the point tho, people have called for tc to be fired every year, even the 2 sb years. and the maras/wellingtons didn't budge. didnt they extend him a year in 06 anyways? Im sure they were going to let TC go, remember no playoff wins and he was fired from jacksonville and he was being reported by several players about fines and excessive practices and things. That redskins game tiki went over 200 yards and 3 td's and we snuck in the playoffs bought TC another year and the rest is history.

joemorrisforprez
12-14-2012, 02:01 AM
I think many of you have short memories I remember many of you same posters wanting TC's head on a platter after a 6-2 start and a collapse in 06. Now you are all talking hindsight after SB wins. I think TC is a great coach but it took strahan,tiki and Warner and a few others to make that coach understand his players better and warm up just enough to get the team behind him.

I don't want to pat my own back, but I've always been a Coughlin fan. I'll admit there were a couple points were I wasn't sure if he'd be fired, and during those times, I figured the front office would know best. But I never wanted him fired.

I've also been a Eli "homer" since he was drafted.

As far as Tiki is concerned, when he was a player, I thought he was a tremendous running back.....his field vision was probably better than any running back I've ever seen.

And I'll be honest.....his rushing performance against Washington might have saved Coughlin's job. But remember, Tiki was a turnover machine before Coughlin was hired (35 fumbles between 2000-2003), so if not for Coughlin, Tiki might not have even been a starter in the NFL at that point.

Actions have consequences.....and guys like Tiki, Shockey, and Plax made decisions that really diminished their fan appeal. That's why fans will always love Mark Bavaro, but will be divided about Jeremy Shockey.

Diamondring
12-14-2012, 05:22 AM
You know there is no right way or right time ,I personally kept telling myself ok after my son is born ,ok after he is 2 now ,then i said ok after he is 10...ect ect. Its one of those things yeah the timing was awful but we had a problem in the marriage long before.Yes there is a right time. I know right and wrong like the back of my hand. First a man have to think about his kids. If he doesn't have them then I can see your point. Yes if the man is going to leave, he should make sure there is a right time to do it when there are kids involve. Now I am really supporting Tiki actually. Was his wife giving birth when he left her? If that is the case then shame on him and shame on you to for supporting what he did.

rainierjef
12-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Tiki really did wrong when he left his wife and didn't do it the right way.
This happens every day my friend.... Every day!

Diamondring
12-14-2012, 06:33 AM
This happens every day my friend.... Every day!You don't know that and also so what so does murder.

rainierjef
12-14-2012, 06:41 AM

These men have lives as well. If Tiki felt he could start his career in broadcasting then so what! Thanks for your service, good luck.
Everyone on the team had an issue with coughlin when he first came in, some were more vocal about it than others. I don't think its that he had zero faith in Eli, but more at his age he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding process with coughlin spearheading the project and Eli as the salesman. No problem with that.
Coughlin WAS! the villain to the players at that time, we have all had bosses that came in with their drastic change B.S. good example we got a new wing commander Col. Roscoe, we no longer get the new years week off!!! Villain! It is all perception.

So he had some choice words
screwed his wife over ( non of our business)
He was still a great giant, that help win us games, we loved him when he played, defended him against idiot analyst and rival fans, we bought his merchandise, told our kids "that's how you play the sport." You (general speaking) tarnish your memory of Tiki by allowing what he did off the field or after the field to cloud what he did on the field, not Tiki. I just don't get it.

rainierjef
12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
You don't know that and also so what so does murder.
Statistics show that the 2 major reasons for divorce are Financial and infidelity. Divorce in America alone has gone up 11% since last year, due to census reports. So if it ain't "honey stop using the damn! credit card." its well... you know. Plus it's none of our business.
Yes unfortunately murder does happen everyday but who do you blame for it? I feel if you don't know the full measure, then you shouldn't point fingers. Tiki and his wife issues are theirs, she could of cheated on him first for all we know.

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Im sure they were going to let TC go, remember no playoff wins and he was fired from jacksonville and he was being reported by several players about fines and excessive practices and things. That redskins game tiki went over 200 yards and 3 td's and we snuck in the playoffs bought TC another year and the rest is history.how would having to depend solely on an individual effort to win a game, meaning Tiki running wild is what impacted the game 10000x more than TC coaching, fall under "saving his job?" u see what I mean, its like if I was a janitor or something, and i started a fire by mistake on the job, wouldnt it sound weird to say "he saved his job doing setting that fire." like its nonsensical. "The team needed their rb to go off for 200 yds to win the game. What a display of coaching that should save his job." like it just doesnt add up...how would evidence of poor coaching be an example used to claim its what saved his job? depending on a guy to have a career game isnt exactly good coaching...

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 06:47 AM
You don't know that and also so what so does murder.good point and example of that logic being questionable.

rainierjef
12-14-2012, 06:53 AM
^Sigh*
Diamondring - Look, its arbitrary to argue the semantics. What I was trying to convey is, stuff that happens around us whether it be daily, weekly or monthly should not be blown out of proportion just because it was done by a celebrity and aired for the world to see. Add to the fact that we do not know the full details, it is not our right to judge anyone. I get where you are coming from though.

GMENAGAIN
12-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Im sure they were going to let TC go, remember no playoff wins and he was fired from jacksonville and he was being reported by several players about fines and excessive practices and things. That redskins game tiki went over 200 yards and 3 td's and we snuck in the playoffs bought TC another year and the rest is history.

TC was not being reported by "several" players, he was being reported by one player . . . Tiki

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
TC was not being reported by "several" players, he was being reported by one player . . . Tiki
Boy I disagree with this. There was almost a mutiny in 2004 with TC 5 minute rule.
Strahan made public statements against TC.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 09:09 AM
^Sigh*
Diamondring - Look, its arbitrary to argue the semantics. What I was trying to convey is, stuff that happens around us whether it be daily, weekly or monthly should not be blown out of proportion just because it was done by a celebrity and aired for the world to see. Add to the fact that we do not know the full details, it is not our right to judge anyone. I get where you are coming from though.
doesnt matter how often it happens or who does it. If a similar break up is like Tiki's then that person is a jerk as well.
The bottom line is Tiki is a me me me person. Egotistical and narcisistic. Notice there are 2 "I" s in Tiki. Kind of fitting dont you think

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 09:13 AM
doesnt matter how often it happens or who does it. If a similar break up is like Tiki's then that person is a jerk as well.
The bottom line is Tiki is a me me me person. Egotistical and narcisistic. Notice there are 2 "I" s in Tiki. Kind of fitting dont you think
If you combine spanish and english, "Eli" means "the me".

Just saying.....

GameTime
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
If you combine spanish and english, "Eli" means "the me".

Just saying.....

nice one.....
Tiki's full name also means the King or something like that. I guess he really thinks so.....

NYGabriel
12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Tiki is a has been. Why are his thoughts even relevant?

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Tiki is a has been. Why are his thoughts even relevant?
Every athlete commentator is a former player. By your definition, none of them should comment about current players.

GMENAGAIN
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Boy I disagree with this. There was almost a mutiny in 2004 with TC 5 minute rule.
Strahan made public statements against TC.

The difference is that Strahan made public statements . . . . Tiki made anonymous leaks and reported the matter to the league.

I'm not sure why so many people have trouble separating the football player from the person. He was a great player. he is a ****** as a person.

My favorite football player of all time has also been a horror show as a person. I'm fine with it.

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
The difference is that Strahan made public statements . . . . Tiki made anonymous leaks and reported the matter to the league.

I'm not sure why so many people have trouble separating the football player from the person. He was a great player. he is a ****** as a person.

My favorite football player of all time has also been a horror show as a person. I'm fine with it.

If they were anonymous, how do you know they were from Tiki?

GameTime
12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Just like some fans dont think Eli is elite some of us dont like Tiki....
Many football players that I respect their talent but dont really like them based on their character....

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Just like some fans dont think Eli is elite some of us dont like Tiki....
Many football players that I respect their talent but dont really like them based on their character....
I can't stand Tiki...but I think he was a great Giant.

BTW...I like Eli a lot and I also think he's a great Giant.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I can't stand Tiki...but I think he was a great Giant.

BTW...I like Eli a lot and I also think he's a great Giant.

cool......
so we are done here.....:cool:

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
cool......
so we are done here.....:cool:
Never!
I'll come up with something to argue about. Just give me some time.

joemorrisforprez
12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
These men have lives as well. If Tiki felt he could start his career in broadcasting then so what! Thanks for your service, good luck.
Everyone on the team had an issue with coughlin when he first came in, some were more vocal about it than others. I don't think its that he had zero faith in Eli, but more at his age he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding process with coughlin spearheading the project and Eli as the salesman. No problem with that.
Coughlin WAS! the villain to the players at that time, we have all had bosses that came in with their drastic change B.S. good example we got a new wing commander Col. Roscoe, we no longer get the new years week off!!! Villain! It is all perception.

So he had some choice words
screwed his wife over ( non of our business)
He was still a great giant, that help win us games, we loved him when he played, defended him against idiot analyst and rival fans, we bought his merchandise, told our kids "that's how you play the sport." You (general speaking) tarnish your memory of Tiki by allowing what he did off the field or after the field to cloud what he did on the field, not Tiki. I just don't get it.

As a fan, we are both entitled to our opinions on Tiki Barber.

I agree with your opinion that he was a terrific running back.

However, I also think he did alot to hurt his own "brand"......contrast that with how Strahan was able to parlay his popularity into a successful post-football career.

He backstabbed Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin immediately after retiring, and then dumped his pregnant wife for some bimbo, and at the same time was trying to keep his face in the headlines.....I really don't think he can blame anyone but himself for that fallout.

As for Coughlin being the villain.....I remember defending him from hordes of critics that wanted to bounce his *** out of NY....and this continued even AFTER he won a Super Bowl......I remember hearing players talk about how they'd love to play for Rex Ryan instead. I think about that and laugh now.

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
As a fan, we are both entitled to our opinions on Tiki Barber.

I agree with your opinion that he was a terrific running back.

However, I also think he did alot to hurt his own "brand"......contrast that with how Strahan was able to parlay his popularity into a successful post-football career.

He backstabbed Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin immediately after retiring, and then dumped his pregnant wife for some bimbo, and at the same time was trying to keep his face in the headlines.....I really don't think he can blame anyone but himself for that fallout.

But he was a terrific football player and was guilty of nothing more than being a ****head after he retired.

joemorrisforprez
12-14-2012, 11:14 AM
But he was a terrific football player and was guilty of nothing more than being a ****head after he retired.

Sure.

And as a fan, I'm not going to run out and buy his jersey for my kid.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 11:15 AM
so he bacame a ****head after football....
I bet he was ****head all along.......

The following comment I have is not looked upon with much credibility because I cant prove it but I am not the type of person to make **** up just to make it up.
A guy I know in my town his wife is the personal assistent at the top of the food chain in the Giants org. From what he says to me Tiki is not welcome in at the Giants facility and calls to Mara are stricktly told to be met with..."he cant speak with you right now"......
Persona Non Grata as they say

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 11:19 AM

The following comment I have is not looked upon with much credibility because I cant prove it but I am not the type of person to make **** up just to make it up.
A guy I know in my town his wife is the personal assistent at the top of the food chain in the Giants org. From what he says to me Tiki is not welcome in at the Giants facility and calls to Mara are stricktly told to be met with..."he cant speak with you right now"......

I have a strong feeling that has a lot to do with what happened after he left the team. As I said earlier in this thread, his greatest sin was betraying locker room confidences with his public mocking of Eli.
I'm guessing the Mr. Mara would take calls from LT. And I'm sorry, LT is a major ****head.

joemorrisforprez
12-14-2012, 11:20 AM

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), I would totally understand it.

It's no mystery that John Mara has alot of loyalty to Tom Coughlin. I remember seeing an interview where he talked about all the stacks of "Fire Coughlin" letters he received, and kept.....and he talked about how he wanted to personally reply to those letters.

I'm guessing a guy like that isn't going to forget that Tiki went out of his way to throw mud on Coughlin when the team was struggling to find its identity.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 11:23 AM
I have a strong feeling that has a lot to do with what happened after he left the team. As I said earlier in this thread, his greatest sin was betraying locker room confidences with his public mocking of Eli.
I'm guessing the Mr. Mara would take calls from LT. And I'm sorry, LT is a major ****head.

while this is true, LT is a POS. He never crossed the Giants. Does that make him a good person....hell no.

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
while this is true, LT is a POS. He never crossed the Giants. Does that make him a good person....hell no.
He tarnished the team with his behavior. i would say that is worse.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
He tarnished the team with his behavior. i would say that is worse.

true....... He was an historical football player but he is embarassing as former player of the team I love....

GMENAGAIN
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
If they were anonymous, how do you know they were from Tiki?

I heard Chris Carlin from WFAN state emphatically that Tiki was the source of all of those leaks. Can't imagine that he would make it up if it weren't true . . . .also Tiki never challenged the statement.

Diamondring
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
He tarnished the team with his behavior. i would say that is worse.He only tarnished himself not the Giants since they have a lot of other players.

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 11:46 AM
When I was yelling at the TV for Tiki to take another long run for a TD in the Wshington game, 2006, I didn't give a **** who was leaking crap to the media. I didn't give a **** who was liked or disliked in the clubhouse and I certainly didn't give a **** who likes to read classic novels on plane rides back from the west coast. Just score the TD, win the game and get in the playoffs.
Just play well and help my team win. That's what I expect of my players. And regardless of what any of you guys say, that's really what all of us care about.

Harooni
12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
You know I love mike but somehow he gets a pass for demanding more $$$, snitching on TC , picking the Cowboys to win the div, divorcing his wife, holding out of preseason, telling locker room "secrets" in his book. I believe people dislike Tiki because it was easier to deal with the pain of losing him when we did.

Harooni
12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
while this is true, LT is a POS. He never crossed the Giants. Does that make him a good person....hell no. You know Tiki has a great relationship with mara and tisch family and never said a bad word about the org. he was inducted to the Ring of Honor after all. When TC goes i think time will heal this stuff.

Roosevelt
12-14-2012, 12:38 PM

He became a ****head on the road to retirement as far as I'm concerned.

I respected that he wanted to retire early, but his farewell tour is what did it.

rainierjef
12-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Smfh. People are so judgmental, Its never "well he was a great player. That's, that!" It's "Well he was a great player, but.... you see what he did to his wife? Man... look what he said about this guy, oh he's not picking us to win? that guy is definitely not a giants homer. for shame." Sports is becoming a soap opera, we care more about what they are doing off the field in their lives than on.
Cruz cares to much about clothing
Michael strahan had a divorce
Tiki bailed on his wife and kids
Rolle needs to stfu and stop calling people out
Tuck and Osi needs to stop kissing ***.
Wow. I'm done back to draft section.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
You know Tiki has a great relationship with mara and tisch family and never said a bad word about the org. he was inducted to the Ring of Honor after all. When TC goes i think time will heal this stuff.
not really....I know from a great source high up in the org that he is persona non grata......

BuffyBlueII
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
The whole announcement of his retirement mid season was a distraction to the team. The nonsense that came out of his mouth about Eli was ridiculous.Tiki was a great RB but not a great NY Giant He is also a schmuck.

dezzzR
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
You know Tiki has a great relationship with mara and tisch family and never said a bad word about the org. he was inducted to the Ring of Honor after all. When TC goes i think time will heal this stuff.The Tiki years will be overshadowed by TC's superbowl runs. Tiki will always be remembered as a great football player but a selfish person. I think people will remember all his bs.

Diamondring
12-14-2012, 01:14 PM
You know I love mike but somehow he gets a pass for demanding more $$$, snitching on TC , picking the Cowboys to win the div, divorcing his wife, holding out of preseason, telling locker room "secrets" in his book. I believe people dislike Tiki because it was easier to deal with the pain of losing him when we did.Strahan should have gotten a raise though.

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 01:22 PM
its unfair to compare tiki and LT because LT has admitted and owned up to his many mistakes and acknowledges hes far from perfect. Tiki doesnt seem to be like that, it always seems like he makes himself out to be the victim and that he can do no wrong...

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 01:40 PM
its unfair to compare tiki and LT because LT has admitted and owned up to his many mistakes and acknowledges hes far from perfect. Tiki doesnt seem to be like that, it always seems like he makes himself out to be the victim and that he can do no wrong...
I don't give a ****. Tiki never raped anyone or abused cocaine.
Let me tell you this, and this is from a guy who thinks Tiki is a complete self important dope....He worked his *** off to be the best player he could be. His training sessions were legendary. He entered the league as a scat back, and ended his career as a legit 25 to 30 carry/game speed and power back.
He also played hard every play. He also picked up blitzes as well as any back in the league and helped Eli keep upright for the first 3 years of his career. He also helped a lot in Eli's developement by being a great dump off target when Eli was under pass rush pressure.

Yes Tiki is a dope. But as a player he was first rate. In his talent, work ethic, contribution to his team and commitment to be the best player possible.
A little friggin slack from Giants fans is completely appropriate.

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Let me tell you this, and this is from a guy who thinks Tiki is a complete self important dope....He worked his *** off to be the best player he could be. His training sessions were legendary. He entered the league as a scat back, and ended his career as a legit 25 to 30 carry/game speed and power back.
He also played hard every play. He also picked up blitzes as well as any back in the league and helped Eli keep upright for the first 3 years of his career. He also helped a lot in Eli's developement by being a great dump off target when Eli was under pass rush pressure.

Yes Tiki is a dope. But as a player he was first rate. In his talent, work ethic, contribution to his team and commitment to be the best player possible.
A little friggin slack from Giants fans is completely appropriate.all true, and yet that doesnt change the fact that a lot of people view it that way; that tiki always comes off as he did no wrong, hes the victim while LT has done the media circuit apologizing and admitting hes a flawed man and needs help. i know what LT did is 100x worse and that tiki really hasnt done anything really except for have bad timing and a big mouth. and yet, people still view it that way imo

rainierjef
12-14-2012, 01:44 PM

A little friggin slack from Giants fans is completely appropriate.
Applaud this man!

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
right or wrong, id bet anything if tiki came out tomorrow and went "i have had issues dealing with how I handled things. I have made mistakes, and spoken out and violated the trusts of my teammates, my fans. I have made mistakes that I want to apologize for, Im not perfect even tho I may have thought I was." that 99% of the people who rag on him would do a 180 and welcome him back with open arms

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
right or wrong, id bet anything if tiki came out tomorrow and went "i have had issues dealing with how I handled things. I have made mistakes, and spoken out and violated the trusts of my teammates, my fans. I have made mistakes that I want to apologize for, Im not perfect even tho I may have thought I was." that 99% of the people who rag on him would do a 180 and welcome him back with open arms
He's not going to because he's a self important dope. BTW. "self important dope" describes many or most pro athletes.
But he was a great Giant and worked his *** off to get there.

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
He's not going to because he's a self important dope. BTW. "self important dope" describes many or most pro athletes.
But he was a great Giant and worked his *** off to get there.100% true, its why i believe the sports stars who arent "self important" become fan favorite legends

GameTime
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Applaud this man!
Never....its MS. he pats himself on the back enough. He doesnt need it from us.....lol

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Never....its MS. he pats himself on the back enough. He doesnt need it from us.....lol
Morehead needs love like anyone else.

Eli TO Shockey
12-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Morehead needs love like anyone else.

I find it hilarious that you now refer to yourself in 3rd person.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I find it hilarious that you now refer to yourself in 3rd person.
George is getting angry!!!!!!

Harooni
12-14-2012, 03:01 PM
lol , i love you guys, best thread in a long time. and not because its mine its you guys that make it so interesting and the passion for the
Giants team. cheers , even though we disagree many times.

I will say that I do see a trend in forgiveness toward Tiki over the years which is great. Also id like to point out 2000-2004 Tiki was very good as well people tend to brush that off.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 03:04 PM
lol , i love you guys, best thread in a long time. and not because its mine its you guys that make it so interesting and the passion for the

I will say that I do see a trend in forgiveness toward Tiki over the years which is great. Also id like to point out 2000-2004 Tiki was very good as well people tend to brush that off.
Who is this "Tiki" you speak of. I have never heard of him.

Morehead State
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
I feel like I need the distraction of the MB from what I'm watching on TV.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I feel like I need the distraction of the MB from what I'm watching on TV.

yep....I agree.....

Harooni
12-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Who is this "Tiki" you speak of. I have never heard of him.

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/2311488397/image.jpg

GameTime
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
looks kinda like the CB from the Bucs I guess......

bigblue58
12-14-2012, 04:55 PM

He's so full of garbage I can't believe he has the gall to even try and float that line of crap!
Tiki needs to go back and read a transcript of his full quote, because he seems to have forgotten the words he spoke that left no doubt that he was criticizing Manning and not complementing Eli for being funny!
I guess he also forgot the sirius radio show he appeared on with his brother, where they mocked Eli for 2 hours!!
The guy is a piece of garbage and i'm happy as hell that it's eating his gut that he left the sport a year too early and missed getting a SB ring, because he doesn't deserve one!
Barber and Shockey have both retired to Football obscurity, where they will one day be forgotten altogether.

JJC7301
12-14-2012, 06:31 PM
+1. I have no interest in hearing Tiki's opinion anymore, but he was just giving his honest opinion and from what I recall, there were plenty of Giants who were questioning Eli and his leadership skills at that time. And many fans and columnists, too.

Enough torching of Tiki. He paid his due, and was the best Giant for about 5 years. Guy was a fantastic all-around RB. The best during his time, IMO.

Hall of Fame
12-14-2012, 08:38 PM

If anyone here is familiar with anyone on the New Brunswick police department, there is an officer that helped me out one time who is Tikis long lost twin brother. This pic reminded me of when he pulled up along side me, same bright smile, and asked me if I needed help.

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
wait, did tiki really try to say that we misunderstood him? classic. he just proves everyone right. of course it isnt tikis fault/responsibility to own up to his words...its everyone elses fault for misunderstanding him.

is he really trying to say he was really complimenting him?!?! LMFAO!!!! classic tiki. i got no prob with him, love him as a giant, truly a great rb...but dang he just wont learn

YATittle1962
12-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Tiki 5 years later still backpedaling and lying about the intent of his comment

he was trying to make a splash in his new job (which he absolutely sucked at ) and made a stupid comment that immediately blew up in his face.....deal with it Tiki

lying about it just makes you look like more of an idiot than you already are

...and this new business venture is probably the most pathetic, sad, ridiculous thing I have ever heard

this guy just loves digging his own grave

you leave the only thing you are good at too early .....get laughed out of the broadcast business because you suck at it....now this....where you are basically waving the white flag and admitting you are a complete buffoon

way to go Tiki

Harooni
12-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Well he said that he did call him comical as he tried to give his speech to the guys as a rookie but we all took it as Tiki saying Eli was a joke , but what he meant according to him is that Eli was a jokester in the locker room so it was hard to take him seriously as a leader. This goes along with the oline stories of Eli pulling pranks and all that. Eli doesnt look the sort but then we saw on SNL he is a jokester kind of guy, i thought ELi did a great job live like that.

Rat_bastich
12-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Defend Tiki how you will but Tiki's comments were made in malice and spite towards TC and the Giants. The players who endured came to understand TC's way of doing things and were able to soften him up. Tiki threw a tantrum and left. Maybe it was because he left that they won the Super Bowl because they came to rely on each other and not one offensive weapon.

I liked Tiki as a player, but I wish he would go sit down somewhere and disappear.

yatitle
12-14-2012, 11:10 PM

I say Tiki is welcomed back by the fans the same year they have an OJ SImpson day in Buffalo.

yatitle
12-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Well he said that he did call him comical as he tried to give his speech to the guys as a rookie but we all took it as Tiki saying Eli was a joke , but what he meant according to him is that Eli was a jokester in the locker room so it was hard to take him seriously as a leader. This goes along with the oline stories of Eli pulling pranks and all that. Eli doesnt look the sort but then we saw on SNL he is a jokester kind of guy, i thought ELi did a great job live like that.

Well in the words of Rasheed Wallace "Ball Don't Lie"

Speaking during the halftime show of the Sunday Night Football game between the Giants and Baltimore Ravens, Barber had said that Manning's attempt to lead an offensive meeting in the 12th week of the last season was "comical" at times.

Manning didn't find the comment funny.

"It's just one of those deals. I'm not going to lose any sleep about what Tiki has to say," Manning said. "I guess I could have questioned his leadership skills last year with calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, and he's lost the heart [to play].

"As a quarterback you're reading that your running back has lost the heart to play the game and it's about the 10th week," Manning said. "I can see that a little bit at times. But I'm not going to get concerned. I'm going to go out there and play ball."

Speaking on his radio show "The Barber Shop" on Sirius NFL Radio, Barber said he was glad that Manning stuck up for himself, even though he felt his comments were tame and honest.

"I'll tell you this," Barber said. "It was not said maliciously."

Harooni
12-14-2012, 11:42 PM
I say Tiki is welcomed back by the fans the same year they have an OJ SImpson day in Buffalo. thats cold man, people act like Tiki is a villain. sure he is a bit ****y , it comes with being so good and smart. its not like he has arrest records or killed someone.

also to ad to the other comments - if Tiki had malice toward the giants he would never have propelled us single handedly into the playoffs thus allowing TC a 1 year extension. though i do think he had distain for TC at the time, but he wasnt the only one.

JJC7301
12-15-2012, 12:03 AM
thats cold man, people act like Tiki is a villain. sure he is a bit ****y , it comes with being so good and smart. its not like he has arrest records or killed someone.

also to ad to the other comments - if Tiki had malice toward the giants he would never have propelled us single handedly into the playoffs thus allowing TC a 1 year extension. though i do think he had distain for TC at the time, but he wasnt the only one.
+1. EVERY Giant except for Eli was bad mouthing TC. I wanted every single Giant off the team by that time, except for Eli. Back then, the Giants were always talking crap without being able to back anything up. The players ran the show under Fassell and were upset that they had an old school coach who put them in their place.

Harooni
12-15-2012, 12:06 AM
+1. EVERY Giant except for Eli was bad mouthing TC. I wanted every single Giant off the team by that time, except for Eli. Back then, the Giants were always talking crap without being able to back anything up. The players ran the show under Fassell and were upset that they had an old school coach who put them in their place. Bingo i remember the oline even talking and of course plax and shock strahan ect ect,. but somehow Tiki got most of the anger toward him.

Rat_bastich
12-15-2012, 12:12 AM
+1. EVERY Giant except for Eli was bad mouthing TC. I wanted every single Giant off the team by that time, except for Eli. Back then, the Giants were always talking crap without being able to back anything up. The players ran the show under Fassell and were upset that they had an old school coach who put them in their place.

But, here is the difference. Tiki took it to the public while the other players kept it mostly behind the scenes. Not only that but the other players gave him a chance, handled it like mature men and it turned out well. Coughlin softened up enough and had the wisdom to understand that his ideas were not working as well. He adapted and they went on to do good things.

Tiki's villification came because he went out and intentionally brought it to the media. In fact as yatittle quoted Eli, he pretty much pissed off the unflappable Eli enough to have him take counterjabs back at him. Tiki still brings up these events instead of leaving them alone and tries to put a different spin on them. It seems every Super Bowl year had/has some assinine comment to make.

Like I said, Tiki needs to go lie down somewhere and disappear and maybe to stoke his ego he can think that he was responsible for motivating the Giants enough to win a Super Bowl or two.

Harooni
12-15-2012, 10:05 PM
if you go to that thuzio site, you can book ernie accorsi and kevin gilbride also. haha at gilbride teaching my peewee team the shotgun draw on 3rd and long.

G-Men Surg.
12-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Like old Clark Gable used to say ( and with all due respect ) : " Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn " what Tiki says about Eli.

TextureDj
12-15-2012, 10:41 PM
I think the most shocking thing to come out of that interview was, and I quote: "Eli would come through, butt *** naked, and deny my shot" Talking about shooting 3 pointers withtheir used tape balls after practice/games.

C1010
12-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I wish Tiki all the best!