PDA

View Full Version : Nicks is OK, But Will "Slow Down" At Practice

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...wn-at-practice (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/12/nicks-is-ok-but-will-slow-down-at-practice)

Excerpt: "The MRI on Hakeem Nicks’ troublesome left knee showed “no new injury” on Tuesday, just “the same old stuff” he said.

It was enough, though, for Tom Coughlin to say the Giants are “probably going to have to slow down a little bit” with how much Nicks is able to do during practice each week.

Coughlin wouldn’t say exactly what he meant by that, but Nicks said the plan includes no more “full” practices this season. He said he’ll likely practice only on a limited basis either just once or twice each week.

He’ll also continue to play through the pain of an injury, which is likely much more serious than he’s been willing to say publicly.

“I’m doing good,” Nicks said with a wink. “It’s just that time of year.” Read more...

BlueJayC
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
What's "same old stuff"....anyone know? I was under the impression there were no tears or damage at all.......are they implying there is something that has to be repaired but they're waiting until after the year?

GameTime
12-13-2012, 09:37 AM
What's "same old stuff"....anyone know? I was under the impression there were no tears or damage at all.......are they implying there is something that has to be repaired but they're waiting until after the year?
his knee is bothering him so thee has to be some sort of "damage" in there. Or else it wouldnt hurt or swell....

BillTheGreek
12-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Nicks should not play, if his knee is in bad shape..The swelling and Pain is an indication that there's more to it ..... I'm sure if can play, he will !.... Besides it's better to Treat & rest it, and play the Last 2 games, and the play offs games if he's able to. We have no choice but to use Barden or Randle.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Nicks should not play, if his knee is in bad shape..The swelling and Pain is an indication that there's more to it ..... I'm sure if can play, he will !.... Besides it's better to Treat & rest it, and play the Last 2 games, and the play offs games if he's able to. We have no choice but to use Barden or Randle.
have to get to the playoffs first. Barden and Randle wont get us there IMO.....

Harooni
12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
why not a few weeks off it and let it heal up? wouldnt this be better than 70-80percent each week?

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM
why not a few weeks off it and let it heal up? wouldnt this be better than 70-80percent each week?
in most cases yes. But the way the offense has been playing they need his prescence on the field. IDK.....tough call. If the had a playoff spot clinched then its a no brainer but they arent there yet.

Flip Empty
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
I wish Eli would stop locking on to him. It just isn't working.

crossouttheeyes
12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
I wish Eli would stop locking on to him. It just isn't working.
He's his favorite receiver, even when he's not 100%.

Eli has gotten into the habit of throwing a ton of balls his way and when he's healthy and that's obviously a good idea. He's overestimating Nicks's health and throwing him balls that he would absolutely catch if he was healthy but can't make a play on because he's at 80%.

jakegibbs
12-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Take from someone who knows. I've had my knees drained to relieve swelling more time than I can remember... knee swelling means damage to the knee plain & simple. >85% chance surgery will be required sometime in the future. Book it.

BillTheGreek
12-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Take from someone who knows. I've had my knees drained to relieve swelling more time than I can remember... knee swelling means damage to the knee plain & simple. >85% chance surgery will be required sometime in the future. Book it.

+1

HE WHO IS HURT, AND RESTS WILL LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY.

BlueJayC
12-13-2012, 11:26 AM

I'm fine with that and expect an arthroscopic cleaning at least at the end of the year but I wish they'd say that than just say "the same old stuff" because after his initial MRI they officially said nada......so I'm still in the dark to what that may be.

drewz
12-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I was watching the replay the Falcons/Giants from last year.. Nicks isn't close to being himself.. If he was 100% then, he's like 60% now

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Take from someone who knows. I've had my knees drained to relieve swelling more time than I can remember... knee swelling means damage to the knee plain & simple. >85% chance surgery will be required sometime in the future. Book it.what??/ do u know how many nfl players get their knees drained? or get swelling? these guys are making violent cuts, and basically just overwork their knees. the fact nicks knee is swelling does not mean he needs surgery, AT ALL. it could mean that, but it could also mean he's just been overusing it. when he first came back from the foot injury, he had an issue with the knee swelling bc and this is according to the giants, he went from full rest, elevating his foot, and hardly using his knee at all, to going full contact with sudden, intense motions of the knee. when that happens, ur gonna get swelling.
swelling means that the muscle/tenden has become inflamed due to overuse or injury. notice how its ...OR injury. there are other explanations for the knee swelling. u really think the giants would jeopardize nicks future by playing him when a surgery is needed???? the reason they are cutting down on the practices is to cut down on the stress to the knee so the inflammation subsides. the giants arent coy with injured guys, they wont risk a players future, point blank. if nicks needs surgery, theyd go ahead and get the surgery and not jeopardize him to get him at 60% health.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Nothing new, just what's been bothering him for weeks.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 01:02 PM
if he is limited give hem plays he can make then. Save the down the field stuff for Cruz and company....

bigblue999
12-13-2012, 01:09 PM

I agree...TC has a major problem of rushing players back in...we saw that with O'hara. O'hara was clearly not ready to be at full strength and in the interim Booth had provided excellent play at center. O'hara came back in and we get crushed and eliminated from the playoffs.

Nicks is clearly no where near healthy...he doesn't have the flexibility and speed that we are used to seeing...YET he is there because of TC. There are other guys that are fresh and can rotate on offensive that would give us much more firepower than a banged up NICKS.

WHY NOT REST THE GUY TIL HE'S HEALTHY...

TC's approach is detrimental to the team and someone needs to call him out on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 01:25 PM

The problem, as with Bradshaw's feet. seems to be no amount of short term rest is going to bring him close to 100%. He can play through the pain, as does Bradshaw. His performance has not been hurting the team so if he wants to play, he should play

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 01:27 PM
I agree...TC has a major problem of rushing players back in...we saw that with O'hara. O'hara was clearly not ready to be at full strength and in the interim Booth had provided excellent play at center. O'hara came back in and we get crushed and eliminated from the playoffs.

Nicks is clearly no where near healthy...he doesn't have the flexibility and speed that we are used to seeing...YET he is there because of TC. There are other guys that are fresh and can rotate on offensive that would give us much more firepower than a banged up NICKS.

TC's approach is detrimental to the team and someone needs to call him out on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TC does not rush players back. I'm not sure where you're geting that from. He just said Bradshaw's playing will be decided by the medical people. Have you seen Beckum on the field since coming off PUP? Did KP rush back?

GameTime
12-13-2012, 01:38 PM

the doctors make the decisions not TC......

Flip Empty
12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
His performance has not been hurting the team so if he wants to play, he should play
That's the thing, I think it is hurting the team.
So many red zone downs are wasted by Eli trying to get the ball to Nicks. If he wasn't an option, that wouldn't be an issue.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 08:57 PM
The problem, as with Bradshaw's feet. seems to be no amount of short term rest is going to bring him close to 100%. He can play through the pain, as does Bradshaw. His performance has not been hurting the team so if he wants to play, he should playIt has been hurting the team. He cannot chase down the balls Eli is expecting him to grab and that is OBVIOUS!

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
That's the thing, I think it is hurting the team.
So many red zone downs are wasted by Eli trying to get the ball to Nicks. If he wasn't an option, that wouldn't be an issue.YES SIR!!